Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Just did a quick google there and found a translation of the Lord's prayer in Cant. Oh the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I thought cant was just a form of pig-latin applied to irish? For example, instead of "cailín" they would say "leacaín". Basically, they just switch around the first and second consonant while leaving the vowels as they are (kaleen -> lakeen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

They use cant all the time.

Cant expect me to pay tax
    Cant expect me to get a job
    Cant expect me to pay for housing
    Cant expect me to provide for my kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Looks like there could be a new addition to the Cash family in 2019!

e31db5ac4fbb07815c981ac0036bbf47.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Cant is not a distinct language. It is a variation of Irish and I have never heard it spoken by a traveller. It's probably how Irish is recognised on an international level as one of our national languages, yet only 12,000 out of a population of nearly 5 million speak it on a daily basis. Are there any books/literature written in Cant (being serious here, not sarcastic).

I hear them speaking Can't regularly.

Can't pay taxes.
    Can't work.
    Can't stop fighting.
    Can't be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mostly horrible people. Those who are not will just get on with it like the rest of us and take their turn and be ok.

I am sorry now but having been the recipient of many a vitriolic outburst in A+E, and the shouting and roaring, I have absolutely no time for them.

No one should really. They are vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

tuxy wrote: »
    Looks like there could be a new addition to the Cash family in 2019!

e31db5ac4fbb07815c981ac0036bbf47.png

I wish her all the best with someone who can't spell his own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Cant is not a distinct language. It is a variation of Irish and I have never heard it spoken by a traveller. It's probably how Irish is recognised on an international level as one of our national languages, yet only 12,000 out of a population of nearly 5 million speak it on a daily basis. Are there any books/literature written in Cant (being serious here, not sarcastic).

Shelta is just like pig-Latin or Verlan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Matched up better than even Cilla could manage!

Cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maninasia wrote: »
    How come they have their own dialect/language and distinct culture then ?

I have asked this question before and I still haven't got an answer.

I know that traveller culture believes in taking girls out of education around the age of 12, marrying them off to close relatives by the time they are 15/16 and turning them into obedient baby factories after that. What is so special about that culture?

I also know that homophobia is intrinsically part of traveller culture also.

So, can someone tell me some of the redeeming features of traveller culture? Someone once referenced their family values culture, but that is used to oppress women so I wonder what exactly is so valuable and good and decent about traveller culture?

And yes, Catholic culture has its bad features (oppression of women) and so does African culture (FGM) and Islamic culture (oppression of women too), but they all have their valuable contributions to art and music, for example. What has traveller culture to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

blanch152 wrote: »
    What has traveller culture to offer?

Entrepreneurship

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Her fellow kind

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/security-man-seriously-hurt-in-miniriot-at-hotels-bar-37676990.html

Why is it that places of business cannot simply refuse these people without having to give reason as its quite apparent that the vast majority of travellers take part in some form of criminality / violence / theft / scam.
    Simply, from my own point of view and having experienced "Irish Travellers" in Britain up to last April when I moved home, they as a group, are a scourge on society and should be treated as such in their entirety and without exception.

The minority of travellers (they don't travel anymore) who do not engage in criminality should simply denounce their attachment to that criminal grouping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Other reality is that he's a convicted criminal. They'll often bastardise their names on purpose to fly under the radar from the authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Travellers never surprise you, another trashed hotel story today from wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

blanch152 wrote: »
    And yes, Catholic culture has its bad features (oppression of women) and so does African culture (FGM) and Islamic culture (oppression of women too), but they all have their valuable contributions to art and music, for example. What has traveller culture to offer?

Cheaaaap Copper boss :pac:

Dillosk412 wrote: »
    Her fellow kind

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/security-man-seriously-hurt-in-miniriot-at-hotels-bar-37676990.html

Why is it that places of business cannot simply refuse these people without having to give reason as its quite apparent that the vast majority of travellers take part in some form of criminality / violence / theft / scam.
    Simply, from my own point of view and having experienced "Irish Travellers" in Britain up to last April when I moved home, they as a group, are a scourge on society and should be treated as such in their entirety and without exception.

The minority of travellers (they don't travel anymore) who do not engage in criminality should simply denounce their attachment to that criminal grouping

Great stuff by the Irish media again forgetting to mention they were travelers, as if this happens every day with normal people. Yes I said normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Great stuff by the Irish media again forgetting to mention they were travelers, as if this happens every day with normal people. Yes I said normal people.

It does:

"Gardaí suspect that the main protagonists in the "mini-riot" were Traveller criminals who live in counties Dublin and Wicklow."

h2005 wrote: »
    It does:

"Gardaí suspect that the main protagonists in the "mini-riot" were Traveller criminals who live in counties Dublin and Wicklow."

So it does. I only saw "those who are suspected of being involved have links to some of the most prolific burglary crime gangs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You must've missed where they were called out as Travellers and criminals -
    Garda suspect that the main protagonists in the "mini-riot" were Traveller criminals who live in counties Dublin and Wicklow.....

..."Some of those who are suspected of being involved have links to some of the most prolific burglary crime gangs and gardaill be following this up," they added.

• Advertisement

You must've missed where they were called out as Travellers and criminals -

Again.

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

h2005 wrote: »
    It does:

In fact the royal hotel where this happened is and has been used to house homeless family's from Dublin and Wicklow .

this includes a number of familys of travellers and of criminals from inner city dubin. same hotel where a man was killed in a fight during the summer

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/community-stunned-by-death-of-quiet-and-friendly-vincent-45-37003371.html

both of those involved in the murder were locals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's terrible Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely shocking culture if one could call it that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

My sister is has been in Disneyland for the last three weeks. She said the amount of travellers there is crazy.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    My sister is has been in Disneyland for the last three weeks. She said the amount of travellers there is crazy.

They have to spend their(our) money somehow...

They need to show they have absolutely nathin.... here.

Drain on society.

I can't understand really can't why we have to pay their way.

The USA system would cop them on very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Hopefully casey was a watershed moment in society, this lot should not be tolerated.

They cauae carnage everywhere and offer nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tuxy wrote: »
    It's terrible Joe

Why the fcuk does Joe Duffy keep asking 'how do you know they are travellers'? He must have asked that question 10 times.

The bar owner told Joe they told him they were Irish travellers living in England and Joe asked him twice more after that how did he know that they were travellers.

You don't need to be fcuking Einstein to recognise a group of 60 travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The aul fella who came on was priceless though!

And probably given them the idea to all go over for the Paddy's week festival.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »

It makes flawless sense that travellers would flock to Disney land

As I said earlier, travellers never surprise you

rafatoni wrote: »
    Hopefully casey was a watershed moment in society, this lot should not be tolerated.

They cauae carnage everywhere and offer nothing.

The endless propoganda pieces about how awful their plight is, is a genius ploy to ensure the skimming of the tax payer continues for another generation, the truth that they have a helluva sweetheart deal from the state must be smothered.

A life of no responsibility and everything for nothing, who would want to be like everyone else?

Everything you hear from liberals on the topic of travellers should be ignored, that's the starting point for dealing with them and the issue going forward, we need a big stick approach for the next thirty years, it's a bad joke ( the whole thing) at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jaysus I'm surprised that I heard a bigger bellend than Duffy on that piece, take a bow Robert Cantwell from Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Poor Margaret's latest plea for help

Wen u feel like its u aginst the world �� cant do dis no more �� me heart is broke my kids why shud we live like dis? Enuf is enuf !! Wats the point in fighting a fight u no u aint ever gonna win?? Its me aginst the world my childreen mean the world to me but wen they keep treathing u wat u supposed to do?? No light at the end of the tunnle. No way of winning dem. No point fighting dem. I cant do dis no more. My beautifull childreen deserve better. I cant give dem a home wat kinda mother am i ?? Dis cant go on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I don't know Margaret. Maybe the kind of mother who has never worked, is a thief, continued to have children you couldn't provide for, and then blames everyone but yourself for problems of your own causing.

Just a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Wen u feel like its u aginst the world �� cant do dis no more �� me heart is broke my kids why shud we live like dis? Enuf is enuf !! Wats the point in fighting a fight u no u aint ever gonna win?? Its me aginst the world my childreen mean the world to me but wen they keep treathing u wat u supposed to do?? No light at the end of the tunnle. No way of winning dem. No point fighting dem. I cant do dis no more. My beautifull childreen deserve better. I cant give dem a home wat kinda mother am i ?? Dis cant go on

'no light at the end of the tunnle'.
    Lol.
    Not surprised, that tunnel is full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Cina wrote: »
    I don't know Margaret. Maybe the kind of mother who has never worked, is a thief, continued to have children you couldn't provide for, and then blames everyone but yourself for problems of your own causing.

Just a hunch.

Yeah but "the government"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yeah but "the government"

It's pronounced "gubberment" :)

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Sad to see her son telling her that they love her and need her on Facebook. Are they not together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Why the fcuk does Joe Duffy keep asking 'how do you know they are travellers'? He must have asked that question 10 times.

It could have been the Amish. They are well known for organising bare knuckle fights when they go on holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sad to see her son telling her that they love her and need her on Facebook. Are they not together?

Maybe he and /or all the kids are in Disneyland.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »

Just a hunch.

When you think about it, travellers are like children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is the plan now to threaten to take her life if she doesn’t get what she wants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't be surprised, that could well be the leechs next plan of attack.

I hope she never gets another minute of airtime on radio or TV. And if she does, maybe they might ask her about her robbing. She gets off too easy, like the rest of her kin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Is she upset because she isnt in Disneyland with the "angles"

WTF is she on about, she is getting the equivalent of 80,000 gross from the Government and the only thing she has to do is go to the hole in the wall to get the money.

Where is she living now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Don't fall for the emotional manipulation. They're sitting across from each other trying to play on people's heartstrings, hoping to reel in the media. I can't see any media outlet going near her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Shes getting no air time, smoked out as George W Bush once said... her criminiality was bound to catch up with her..

I would love to catch her coming in my house......

The only and last time she would ever be in the news.

That scum bag husband also needs sorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

BattleCorp wrote: »

Headshops were around the country but as soon as one opened in Clontarf Duffy went mad and launched a crusade

He’s been spending some of this week discussing a window company in Fairview going bust which is pretty boring and most of the country would not even know where Fairview is. But hey Liveline is more local than Tipp FM

If a few caravans pitched up on the Clontarf Ipromenade Duffy would turn liveline into the Clontarf show again

Until then though he’ll slap down anyone for even daring to say anything about travelllers

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Headshops were around the country but as soon as one opened in Clontarf Duffy went mad and launched a crusade

He’s been spending some of this week discussing a window company in Fairview going bust which is pretty boring and most of the country would not even know where Fairview is. But hey Liveline is more local than Tipp FM

If a few caravans pitched up on the Clontarf Ipromenade Duffy would turn liveline into the Clontarf show again

Until then though he’ll slap down anyone for even daring to say anything about travelllers

At least on Tipp FM we have Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowery doing their best to keep Alan Kelly off the headlines. The others never get a look in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

At least on Tipp FM we have Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowery doing their best to keep Alan Kelly off the headlines. The others never get a look in!

Ha ha Jaysus the Tipp people really select some bunch to represent them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement