Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Like any group of people of any ethnic background some or wealth and some are poor. What ever way you look at it the councils have neglected their own obligations in providing services they are meant to. Whether you like it or not the councils have to provide halting sites and maintain them. The don't so that is neglect of the council's duty.

The councils promise to provide halting sites and then don't. There will always be disputes and bad planning like putting people with a long family feud in the same site. Difficult to manage so they don't bother but they are still obliged under council rules.

People living in cheap caravan at the side of the road with no stable income and no real assets is poor.

You can say what you like about seeing them with a fancy 4X4 and buying beer but that does not mean the are wealthy.

Their life expectancy is much lower which is primarily down to poor diet and life style.

I am not under any illusions on their anti-social behaviour but they equally mistrust us as we them and have good reason to. Not every person you need to help is nice or thankful along with not every good intention is the correct thing to do.

You forgot the bit about them being primarily con men who threaten pensioners and tar driveways and clean gutters , only they do an arse of a job and charge hundreds or threaten you with harm. Away with yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Like any group of people of any ethnic background some or wealth and some are poor. What ever way you look at it the councils have neglected their own obligations in providing services they are meant to. Whether you like it or not the councils have to provide halting sites and maintain them. The don't so that is neglect of the council's duty.

The councils promise to provide halting sites and then don't. There will always be disputes and bad planning like putting people with a long family feud in the same site. Difficult to manage so they don't bother but they are still obliged under council rules.

People living in cheap caravan at the side of the road with no stable income and no real assets is poor.

You can say what you like about seeing them with a fancy 4X4 and buying beer but that does not mean the are wealthy.

Their life expectancy is much lower which is primarily down to poor diet and life style.

I am not under any illusions on their anti-social behaviour but they equally mistrust us as we them and have good reason to. Not every person you need to help is nice or thankful along with not every good intention is the correct thing to do.

If you don't remotely prioritise education, health or road safety, you should be poor, unfortunately this country is dominated by bleeding hearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tuxy wrote: »
    I'd actually like to hear more positive stories about travellers in this thread.

That won't be a long list of stories.
    The story about the PHD graduate was nice.

Fair play to the woman. I'm being genuine here.
    there was a traveller woman in front of me at the shop a few weeks back who apologised for holding me up, so that was considerate of her.

Not exactly a stellar example of a positive story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd actually like to hear more positive stories about travellers in this thread.
    I'll keep an eye out for other positive stories. I've been unfortunate that I have mostly seen negative actions by their community but there was a traveller woman in front of me at the shop a few weeks back who apologised for holding me up, so that was considerate of her.

How much was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BattleCorp wrote: »

It's all I have, I just wanted to get the ball rolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

What a load of nonsense, what Irish paper or media outlet do you think is better?

Irelands own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

First traveller woman to get a PHD does her doctorate in traveller victimhood.

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'll keep an eye out for other positive stories. I've been unfortunate that I have mostly seen negative actions by their community but there was a traveller woman in front of me at the shop a few weeks back who apologised for holding me up, so that was considerate of her.
    The travellers girlfriend told me her boyfriends name when he raided my salon?
    That was nice of her.

Too bad she lied about his surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The travellers girlfriend told me her boyfriends name when he raided my salon?
    That was nice of her.

Too bad she lied about his surname.

They've only about 6 or 7 surnames between the 30,000 of them so it's usually not hard to guess.

• Advertisement

what's a 'Yiz'?

99% people on this thread seem to love hearing people agree with them and are deaf to any other point of view.

But not to worry, I am here to give a little bit of balance.

Since people seem obsessed with posting stories where travellers have done something wrong I feel I should balance that with stories of settled people in the same vein.

Boards won't let me post links yet though :/

Anyway here's an extract, can you believe the 'arrogance' of this settled person-

'A judge has told a former Dublin civil servant, now retired to Spain, that he had never seen such utter gross exaggeration in his life arising from an injury in a local Mace store.

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke told 58-year-old Gerard Masterson it had been preposterous of him to claim that his whole life had been turned upside down as a result of knocking his ankle against the bottom shelf of a shop display.

Mr Masterson told barrister Philip Fennell, counsel for Clearys Mace Store in St Gabriels Road, Clontarf, that he had injured his left ankle against the sharp edge of the display after having been “forced to side step” a speeding member of staff in an aisle.

Mr Fennell, who appeared with Edel McDermott of Ambrose O’Sullivan Solicitors, said Mr Masterson had not even asked to sit down and had left the store without reporting the incident to anyone. Mr Fennell compared the injury with someone stubbing their toe.

Nr Masterson, formerly of Sea Park, Mount Prospect Avenue, Clontarf, Dublin, claimed damages of €60,000 for his suffering.'

More pointless whatabouttery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's all I have, I just wanted to get the ball rolling!

A lad once asked me to fight him for my golf clubs. We didn't end up fighting, I guess that's positive.

Have always wondered what I would have gotten for winning though. A nice statue of Mary or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lad once asked me to fight him for my golf clubs. We didn't end up fighting, I guess that's positive.

Have always wondered what I would have gotten for winning though. A nice statue of Mary or something.

I have no problem fighting, in fact preparing for my first MMA fight coming up shortly but there isn’t a hope in hell I’d fight a traveller. I could beat him with an iron bar and he’d still get up and knock the piss out of me, they seem to be made from some sort of titanium/carbon fibre mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have no problem fighting, in fact preparing for my first MMA fight coming up shortly but there isn’t a hope in hell I’d fight a traveller. I could beat him with an iron bar and he’d still get up and knock the piss out of me, they seem to be made from some sort of titanium/carbon fibre mix
    I think you are confusing travellers with terminators maybe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I disagree.
    Anytime I've seen them fighting they are in groups and not even that tough.
    One on one they generally run away.

I dunno about that but you would certainly end up feeling like you're in 300 once the rest of the family hears about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I disagree.
    Anytime I've seen them fighting they are in groups and not even that tough.
    One on one they generally run away.

I think they are a bit cowardly too, anyone who beats up woman and children and pets is a coward to me and traveller men quite often are domestic abusers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The latest from Margaret even though way too few spelling mistakes to be from her

"Carrickmines killings was no accident in where the goverment could have saved the lives of ten people including a unborn baby. Year after year the victims had beg their local authority for safe accomodation and only laugh at, if only racism was not a issue. If this was a private company, public service sector or most any other set-up there might be hope for justice, unfortunately where government is implicit and involved, it's unlikely that justice will ever be got. RIP angles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gravelly wrote: »
    They've only about 6 or 7 surnames between the 30,000 of them so it's usually not hard to guess.

Same goes for first names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Are we supposed to pay for an unending number of halting sites because many families are involved in feuds?

If they can't behave like normal civilised people, they should be told to fcuk off.

Living on the side of the road in a caravan but having a fancy 4x4 means that they aren't poor. They just chose to spend their money that way.

Why don't they change their lifestyle so? Oh yeah, they shun education because they have far more benefits by maintaining the status quo.

The councils are obliged to provide them with safe halting sites. Part of the rules and if managed badly by placing people together ends up with a destroyed halting site they are failing in their duty. That is it nothing else. I am not saying it is right or wrong they have to provide them it has to be done as part of the job. They aren't doing their job in the councils.

Owning a car does not make you rich if that is all you own. It would also be a vehicle for work and to use with their homes which are mobile.

Irish people have an unhealthy lifestyles as whole so why don't they change? Can you change everything about how you live and desert your family?

I do question the validity of their culture that leaves them and their children in poor living conditions with no opportunities. Ultimately it is their choice and the government along with EU regulations protects and supports that choice. The decision is made and protected you and I don't get to decide how they live.

Never understood why they don't organise themselves to provide halting sites for themselves or education options.

They are marginalised and mistrusted it doesn't matter about the justifications. Mistreatment is mistreatment so beating a dog that is snarling and barking or a friendly one licking your hand is the same.

Their behaviour is no different from some settled people and can be found all around.

"Carrickmines killings was no accident"

That should read "Carrickmines was accident no killings" but she got the words mixed up.

• Advertisement

Seriously the PHD thing while very commendable is a bit of nonsense really. The subject was the same stuff we have been hearing since 1960, the poor travellers are discriminated against blah, blah. I mean how could you even write more than a couple of pages on this stuff never mind a PHD. I would have more respect if the PHD had been on something useful.

How in gods earth could someone accept this PHD suggestion when you have a young female traveller, practically the same age as Doctor Cindy Joyce going on facebook moaning that shes poor and then selling communion outfits for hundreds of euros. We know exactly how much she and her seven children are living on and yet she claims she cant put a roof over her childrens heads. She portrays herself as a poor widow living in Dickensian times in such poverty that she has to steal clothes from Penneys and I dont mean steal underwear and socks, she steals over three hundred euros worth of stuff and thats in one shopping spree.

We know a traveller funeral is expected to be of such trouble to Longford that armed Gardai are being drafted in to make sure slash hooks arent used in the church. We heard this week that Irish travellers are causing a lot of trouble in Lanzarote and then there is the situation in Rathkeale when hundreds of Gardai were rostered to keep the peace.

And then we are supposed to think being awarded a pHD for writing about traveller discrimination is worthy of media attention.

Nonsense. I boxed for years and as a general rule of thumb they aren't up to much. In fact a regular thing was being threatened by the big brother before the fight. Happened to me in St Francis club in Limerick and another time in Tralee.

A recurring theme is a serious lack of heart and very poor to take a body shot. You do have the obvious exceptions of course. What you tend to find is that their 'attributes' e.g. Skill, power, speed are good enough to get them by but when the difficult questions are asked they'll cave.

I think a lot of the time people confuse what is a type of fearlessness with being a genuinely tough. It's easy to be around the street in gangs getting into fights when you don't have to worry about things like - having a scar on your face going into a job interview, having a criminal record limiting your work prospects, having to take time off work because of an injury, the safety net of 20 more cousins/brothers/aunties/uncles/fathers/mothers around the place all in the same position.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The latest from Margaret even though way too few spelling mistakes to be from her

"Carrickmines killings was no accident in where the goverment could have saved the lives of ten people including a unborn baby. Year after year the victims had beg their local authority for safe accomodation and only laugh at, if only racism was not a issue. If this was a private company, public service sector or most any other set-up there might be hope for justice, unfortunately where government is implicit and involved, it's unlikely that justice will ever be got. RIP angles

Sorry for being picky and seemingly unsympathetic, but what about the fatal combination of alcohol, drugs and an unsupervised chip pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yeah , funny. Those children are dead, axxxxle .
    The chip pan started the fire but the fact that the caravans were squished into a small site with inadequate fire safeguards is against regulations. But they got away with that by saying it was an emergency site . The fire hose and hydrant didn't have any water pressure........

They weren't squashed into anything - one of the families moved his caravan into the site and right up against the other caravan - in contravention of regulations - but some people don't think regulations apply to them. All of the fire extinguishes were working - why didn't they use them?

A chip pan was put there by one of the members of the families and clearly forgot to turn it off. Its an accident, but an accident of their own making - any regulation in the world can't make you turn off your own electrical appliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not in a million years did she write that if your quoting it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I watch them box during the summer at their site and they are no different to anyone else

Some very fast and skillful others fat and useless

They do not have any super powers

Sorry for being picky and seemingly unsympathetic, but what about the fatal combination of alcohol, drugs and an unsupervised chip pan?

That wouldn't fit the narrative

Just blame the government and racism

john4321 wrote: »
    Not in a million years did she write that if your quoting it correctly.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=578962975907996&id=100013828961306

If the families move their caravans in in contravention of fire regulations how do they access electricity.

I presume the Council wouldnt provide an electricity supply in cases like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »
    If the families move their caravans in in contravention of fire regulations how do they access electricity.

The use electric generators generally and it was an illegal site and as such the regulation don't apply. It was in the papers if you read the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

john4321 wrote: »
    Wonder who wrote that for her?

whoever it was they share a pretty common affliction of being unable to spell angels.

Bit of info on that here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fire-extinguishers-werent-used-at-scene-of-deadly-carrickmines-fire-that-claimed-10-lives-inquest-37708683.html
    Brian Kennedy, a senior caretaker with the Traveller section of the council, said a fire extinguisher was put in the bay occupied by the Connors’ cabin and that a smoke alarm had been fitted inside the cabin.
    He said Thomas Connors “insisted” that his cabin be located in the position it was as he wanted to be able to see from his front door when his children walked to the toilet block at night.
    Electrical contractor Carl Fortune told the inquest this afternoon his company carried out a substantial refit of the electrics at the halting site in May 2015 and said they were “100pc safe” after this.
    He said the fusebox inside Thomas Connors’ cabin was replaced and a smoke alarm was installed.
    In relation to the smoke alarm, he said: “There were complaints of it going off so it was replaced with a heat detector.”

They tend to use street lights or other street furniture that would have electricity.

Bit of info on that here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fire-extinguishers-werent-used-at-scene-of-deadly-carrickmines-fire-that-claimed-10-lives-inquest-37708683.html
    Brian Kennedy, a senior caretaker with the Traveller section of the council, said a fire extinguisher was put in the bay occupied by the Connors’ cabin and that a smoke alarm had been fitted inside the cabin.
    He said Thomas Connors “insisted” that his cabin be located in the position it was as he wanted to be able to see from his front door when his children walked to the toilet block at night.
    Electrical contractor Carl Fortune told the inquest this afternoon his company carried out a substantial refit of the electrics at the halting site in May 2015 and said they were “100pc safe” after this.
    He said the fusebox inside Thomas Connors’ cabin was replaced and a smoke alarm was installed.
    In relation to the smoke alarm, he said: “There were complaints of it going off so it was replaced with a heat detector.”

Smoking, smoking weed would be a issue setting off an alarm.

Seriously what do they want.

It would be cheaper to set up a hotel for them all to live in a bit like that 5* mount joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The government didn't provide weed, alcohol and a chip pan. That's a deadly combination that also takes lives in settled houses.

100% but sure it couldn't be an accident

Dang gubbermint

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/rt%C3%A9-investigates--travellers-lives-on-the-fringes/87082536278

Worth watching to see a rounded view and it does acknowledge issues mentioned here

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/rt%C3%A9-investigates--travellers-lives-on-the-fringes/87082536278

Worth watching to see a rounded view and it does acknowledge issues mentioned here

Been a while since I watched it but I seem to remember a lack of proper questioning and some pandering. I definitely wouldn't call it rounded.

• Advertisement

Been a while since I watched it but I seem to remember a lack of proper questioning and some pandering. I definitely wouldn't call it rounded.

It isn't even a month old

It isn't even a month old

I watched it on the night it aired. It still isn't a rounded documentary.

If that's a "rounded documentary" i'd hate to see one that isn't

I watched it on the night it aired. It still isn't a rounded documentary.

They talked to both sides fairly equally and let people reply. Just because you don't agree with what is being said doesn't make it unbalanced.

Do you think councils should be refusing to spend money they actually have to spend on services they have to provide? Does it matter what it is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

How about this for a positive story, a 14 year old saving the life of his 4 year old nephew -

'A 14-year-old boy bravely climbed into a burning portable cabin to rescue his four-year-old nephew from an horrific fire that claimed 10 lives.

Little Tom Connors was the only survivor of the Carrickmines halting site tragedy.

His teenage uncle John Keith Connors told how he pulled Tom out of the smoke-filled cabin barely alive. "I had Tom in my arms. He was trying to breathe. He was making choking noises," he said.

John Keith had climbed into the cabin through a smashed bedroom window but was unable to see due to the thick black smoke. Three times he had to go back to the window to gulp a breath before returning inside.

"There was that much smoke I couldn't open my eyes. I felt around the bed but there wasn't anybody on the bed," he said. "When I started feeling on the ground, I felt my brother and I tried to lift him and I couldn't lift him. I lost any breath I had."

He also felt the body of his sister-in-law Sylvia (30). He tried to lift her too, but was unable to.

John Keith told Dublin Coroner's Court that his father handed him a fire extinguisher to tackle the blaze, but when he pressed the button he couldn't get it to work.

"My father was saying 'come out'. I knew I couldn't go back in again," he said.'

Of course all the little hitlers on here use the fire as an excuse for more abuse, absolutely disgusting people you are.

You obviously had terrible parents if they raised you to have no respect or compassion for other people.

I watched that when it was on. Absolutely crap. Not one difficult question asked, of which there should have been many.

What I found the most bizarre was where the crowd in Sligo wouldn't move into a halting site because of a feud with the other travellers living there.

And yet, as settled folk who lead a culturally very different lifestyle are supposed to have no problem whatsoever with these people rocking up next to us.

That RTÉ left them off so lightly was a disgrace.

• Advertisement

If that's a "rounded documentary" i'd hate to see one that isn't

Care to elaborate what you found so unbalanced?

They talked to both sides fairly equally and let people reply. Just because you don't agree with what is being said doesn't make it unbalanced.

Do you think councils should be refusing to spend money they actually have to spend on services they have to provide? Does it matter what it is for?

Its not about whether I agree or not. Its about a lack of proper questioning into what's really going on there. It was typical RTE in many ways.

I think councils should spend everything they get, as long as its needed. In fact, I was under the impression they had to spend their budget by a certain deadline or have their budget cut.

I watched that when it was on. Absolutely crap. Not one difficult question asked, of which there should have been many.

What I found the most bizarre was where the crowd in Sligo wouldn't move into a halting site because of a feud with the other travellers living there.

And yet, as settled folk who lead a culturally very different lifestyle are supposed to have no problem whatsoever with these people rocking up next to us.

That RTÉ left them off so lightly was a disgrace.

Would you move in beside somebody who was fighting with your entire family?

What questions did you want asked?

Its not about whether I agree or not. Its about a lack of proper questioning into what's really going on there. It was typical RTE in many ways.

I think councils should spend everything they get, as long as its needed. In fact, I was under the impression they had to spend their budget by a certain deadline or have their budget cut.

You don't recall the show correctly. The budget was not spent.

What questions did you want asked?

At the time I asked why such a fund should even exist in the first place. Me and my wife scrimped and saved for a deposit for our house and now have a 20 year mortgage we'll have to work for to pay back.

Why won't the gubbernererment pay for my house? If I come in pi$$ed for the pub and am under the influence of illegal substances and cause a chip pan fire is it the gubbernererments fault?

So many questions. So few answers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement