Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Suppose she has to burn the ill gotten cash.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes , I would too . But I am not , at the risk of being shouted down here because it's not what people want to hear, a member of an ethnic minority . Also I have known people with difficulties in literacy or confidence dealing with educated people , to have problems asking for help. There are vulnerable members in every community, and blaming and trashing them is not fair or right.

So how do you expect them to learn how to use the fire extinguisher?
    Lots of people get nervous about asking for help but this isn't the goverments fault.
    If they've difficulties asking for help or dealing with educated people.
    Anybody the goverment would send into them would be an educated person.
    Should it be up to Pavee Point to provide people the travellers connect with?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

She will probably expense that to the SDCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What????

I'm talking about the other posters taking over and bringing up rubbish to throw this thread off.

Of course talk about that utter scum bag.

He shouldn't in any way be free to walk the streets or rob for that matter.

God forbid that anyone would try to throw you off your work on this thread...living up to your name .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I never claimed to rent to travellers, go look back. I would if I had a property suitable but I don't.

What would make the property suitable?

God forbid that anyone would try to throw you off your work on this thread...living up to your name .

You ok hun?????

Toys thrown out of pram much!!!!

rafatoni wrote: »
    She will probably expense that to the SDCC

In a green area near you soon!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So how do you expect them to learn how to use the fire extinguisher?
    Lots of people get nervous about asking for help but this isn't the goverments fault.
    If they've difficulties asking for help or dealing with educated people.
    Anybody the goverment would send into them would be an educated person.
    Should it be up to Pavee Point to provide people the travellers connect with?

Yes maybe , that's what should've happened. What should happen from now on. Unbearable on that poor young lad, I have a boy that age and I can't imagine him trying to rescue people and babies out of a burning building.

Yes maybe , that's what should've happened. What should happen from now on. Unbearable on that poor young lad, I have a boy that age and I can't imagine him trying to rescue people and babies out of a burning building.

If his parents had of been responsible this would never have had to happen.

Come off it.

Fire extinguishers even have pictures, pull tab, pull pin and press.

I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Fair play to her for making and attempt towards housing her family, asking about the log cabin.

It's nice she owns a site. Never ending flow of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Under 22k

No bother to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

alias no.9 wrote: »

Rent cheap enough that hap would cover it, ie, me and you pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

A few stables and a couple of acres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I have two boys in their teens. I would never put myself and them in a situation where they were to be the saviours if anything were to go wrong.

I'm not empathetic. I lost my sister at a very early age. I know what it can do to a family. But the constant blaming of the council is ridiculous. Margaret Cash calls the thing "The Carrickmines Killings" It's as if the council sent a few lads out to "Burn them out of it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Rent cheap enough that hap would cover it, ie, me and you pay for it.

That it’s council owned and they’re more sympathetic and less likely to evict when her children rack up 100s of convictions stealing and terrorising the locals before the age of 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fair play to her for making and attempt towards housing her family, asking about the log cabin.

It's nice she owns a site. Never ending flow of money.

She won’t *buy* it, you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I never claimed to rent to travellers, go look back. I would if I had a property suitable but I don't.

You are claiming because you pay taxes and bough your own property you had more rights than them to say how tax money should be spent. They also pay taxes and have a say, see you are just a hypocrite

If I recall you placed several cultural and social aspects of travellers as them all be criminals and disparaged the idea they have a culture. They are all racist things to say even if you don't think they are a minority or a race. Did you not do these things?

Now what level of racist are you? I answered your questions

I just asked whether you would
    Keep up.

What is traveller culture?

(Ive disparaged criminality..fraud...theft... violence..domestic violence...)
    Is that the culture you're at great pains to defend?
    You are moving goal posts all over the place. I never claimed to rent to travellers and you asked if I would. I said I would and you came back pointing out I never did. That is you suggesting I said I did claim to rent to travellers.

You are, while doing it again, saying travellers are all criminals. You asked me to point how you are racist and have done so. You denying it racist doesn't change what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Can you imagine getting so drunk and stoned that you'd end up setting your house on fire and putting your son in that position?

Personal responsibility goes a hell of a long way.

We actually need a political stance where they say enough is enough and we actually can't be painted this way anymore and actually state the facts for what they are.

If any political party was to do this I would be backing them no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What level of racist are you so?

This should be remembered as fondly as the Amish and settled people dumping on halting sites.
    That it’s council owned and they’re more sympathetic and less likely to evict when her children rack up 100s of convictions stealing and terrorising the locals before the age of 16

Not just my town then.

• Advertisement

Them Amish oh will they ever learn you can't be taking a dump on halting sites....

Them Amish oh will they ever learn you can't be taking a dump on halting sites....
    You are aware there is actually an Amish community in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This should be remembered as fondly as the Amish and settled people dumping on halting sites.

Yeah and it keeps happening as well in the same areas. Unlucky really

Cork City Council working to eliminate scourge of illegal dumping on northside site

ity Hall is working on a long-term strategy to eliminate the scourge of illegal dumping on a vast site on the northside of Cork city.

The news came yesterday following confirmation that funding for a massive clean-up of the city council-owned Ellis’s Yard site in Ballyvolane has been secured.

Councillors were told on Monday that it is hoped the work will start within weeks, and will include the repair of security fencing around the site and the installation of CCTV cameras.

The site, next to the Spring Lane halting site, has been plagued by repeated incidents of illegal dumping over the years, with Cork City Council spending more than €500,000 between 2003 and 2014 on large-scale clean-ups of the site.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/nationalnews/Cork-City-Council-working-to-eliminate-scourge-of-illegal-dumping-on-northside-site-7e02ca48-2041-487a-860f-1c309a3700fc-ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Are you aware that the poster you responded to didn't claim there wasn't?

You remind me of a half-mad oul aunt I have, who butts into conversations with a response that is totally unrelated to what everyone was speaking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Councillors were told on Monday that it is hoped the work will start within weeks, and will include the repair of security fencing around the site and the installation of CCTV cameras.

I predict that they will be the shortest-lived CCTV cameras in the history of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

1) yes

2) it has as much to do with this as the tribes living in the forest, asylum seekers, Rogers alleged kids and how much tax you claim to pay because of your sh@t accountant that you've already tried to derail the thread with.

3) they dump their rubbish square in the middle of halting sites and the travellers living there are so scared to say anything that they just blame the settled community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Tax credit is still a payment of money by the state.
    Private schools still take state money. I have always held the view that if you want to send your kids to private schools then pay for it entirely. Why should I as a tax payer pay for your lifestyle choices and luxury?
    You have no problem funding those who don't need it I see. Do traveller children have any choice in their situation? So when the state give you money that you can spend on ski trips for you think that is fine but to make sure some other children don't live in squaller you don't think the should.
    The difference is you are a racist and think you have more rights to say how taxes are spent.

Stuff

You're all over the place. Incoherent ramblings, bereft of any continuity of thought or a modicum of a point, replete with strawmans. All you've in the locker is "racist"

Simple question. How am I a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Innocent traveller gets beaten with brick by members of the Amish community for slinging crack on their patch.
    tuxy wrote: »
    The bashing is worse on Youtube!

You say less than brilliant things about a certain subsection of the poor auld travellers. So, like a traveller robbing from Lidl, easier just to scream racist.

Ray, would you move next to a halting site? Third time of asking.

Asked and answered. I repeat what level of racist are you?
    Ignoring the issues with your children's private education taking state funding. A much higher amount of money you are complaining about at about 110 million a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ignoring the issues with your children's private education taking state funding. A much higher amount of money you are complaining about at about 110 million a year.

Why is his children's education not entitled to the same level of funding as every other child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ray Palmer wrote:

I'll try a different approach, what makes your entire property portfolio unsuitable to let to travellers?

George
    Basically I am trying to figure out your logic. I am asking you relevant questions to your views. Just because you can't comprehend why and what I am asking says more about you than me.
    How do you feel about minorities and funding or other people is all relevant as such. Is it just travellers you are racist about? You are racist that is not a question left to be answered. Whether you admit it doesn't make any difference.

Why is his children's education not entitled to the same level of funding as every other child?
    He sends them to private school which should not be funded by public money. It is and he is complaining how his tax is spent on travellers. I have a problem with private schools using public money, are you ok with that? €115million a year that costs the state

No you havent.
    How am I a racist?

Because i condemn:
    Criminality
    Fraud
    Violence
    Domestic violence
    Family fueding
    Child neglect
    Theft
    Bigotry
    Aggression
    Intimidation
    Anti social behaviour
    Dumping waste
    Animal cruelty
    Irresponsibility &
    Unaccountability

Really?
    Thats racist?
    In that case i'd be a 5th Dan.
    I abhor that stuff. You?

He sends them to private school which should not be funded by public money. It is and he is complaining how his tax is spent on travellers. I have a problem with private schools using public money, are you ok with that? €115million a year that costs the state

Private schools get the same level of funding from the government as every other school.

(Ssssuuush...they go to state schools, dont tell Ray, he thinks I'm minted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have never said this was funny, read my posts . I am angry at traveller bashing going on in this thread while this inquest is going on. The council have a list of their sites emergency or otherwise on it and this site was being monitored, but not for fire safety , it appears.

By shifting the blame away from those responsible - the person who took away the smoke alarm, the person who had a chip pan, the person who left it burning away on the highest setting and the people who drank and smoked themselves into unconsciousness - you are making a joke of it.

Neither the government nor the council can control the really stupid acts of really stupid people, unless they lock them up. Even then, as we see in prisons, really stupid acts can still occur. So, unless you believe that the council should have locked them up with guards on the doors watching their every movement, then the only ones to blame are the people in the caravan themselves.

No issue with taking funding away from private schools. It should be done on a phased basis over a number of years so that there isn't a sharp shock with all the pupils suddenly wanting places in overcrowded existing public schools.
    Private schools get the same level of funding from the government as every other school.

Private schools do not get the same level of funding from the government. They get paid for the same number of teachers, but they do not get capitation funding and generally are not eligible for most capital funding. If private schools closed overnight, there would be a significant cost to the taxpayer hence my suggestion above of a phased move.

P.S. I had children, some of whom were educated publicly, some privately, it depended on their needs and wants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Private schools actually save the state money, but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

Given the standards by which you are judging what it is to be racist, can you tell me which of the following statements you agree with and which you believe to be racist?

1. The culture of criminality, misogyny and homophobia within the travelling community in Ireland should be condemned, particularly how it manifests itself in seeing young girls being taken out of school at 12/13, married off a few years later to close relatives, being turned into baby factories and occupying a disproportionate share of women's refuges (All of these are facts, backed up in census statistics and independent reports).

2. The culture of criminality within the Mafia community in Italy should be condemned.

3. The culture of misogyny within certain African tribes which sees young babies subject to FGM should be condemned.

4. The culture of misogyny and homophobia within certain Islamic societies and cultures should be condemned, particularly how it results in prosecutions for sodomy and adultery.

5. The culture of expansion of the state of Israel in order to oppress Palestinians should be condemned.

You can just list 1-5 and whether you agree or disagree with the statements. It will help me classify where you fit in to the type of racist you are.

Ray, would you move next to a halting site? Third time of asking.

Beginning to think Ray is Ryan Tubridy at this stage.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No issue with taking funding away from private schools. It should be done on a phased basis over a number of years so that there isn't a sharp shock with all the pupils suddenly wanting places in overcrowded existing public schools.

Private schools do not get the same level of funding from the government. They get paid for the same number of teachers, but they do not get capitation funding and generally are not eligible for most capital funding. If private schools closed overnight, there would be a significant cost to the taxpayer hence my suggestion above of a phased move.

P.S. I had children, some of whom were educated publicly, some privately, it depended on their needs and wants.

You dont have an issue with taking funding away from private schools but in the same post you say that they cost the taxpayers less money than public schools? WTF??

Im still waiting for Ray to tell me which Council service he proposes to cut funding to, as punishment for not spending the traveller funds....

Anyone else waiting on something?

George
    Basically I am trying to figure out your logic. I am asking you relevant questions to your views. Just because you can't comprehend why and what I am asking says more about you than me.
    How do you feel about minorities and funding or other people is all relevant as such. Is it just travellers you are racist about? You are racist that is not a question left to be answered. Whether you admit it doesn't make any difference.

Who dafuq is George?
    You talking to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I wonder if those who shout racist at anyone who have anything negative to say about the travelling community would like to flaunt their most prized possessions in and around a halting site, or even visit a halting site.

Who dafuq is George?
    You talking to me?
    You are right I made a mistake ment Roger.

You dont have an issue with taking funding away from private schools but in the same post you say that they cost the taxpayers less money than public schools? WTF??

Private schools cost the taxpayers less money than public schools, yes, but my objection is to them being subsidised at all. I have no issue with someone paying €7k to have their child educated privately, I just don't think the State should contribute in that case. If that means fees going up to €10k or €12k or more, sure some people will stop paying it and revert to the public system, but plenty of them will pay the higher fee, so I don't think the state will be down money.

It only costs the State more money if every pupil in a private school subsequently transfers to a public school. I would guesstimate that if as few as 15% of pupils stay in private schools, then the State would be up money by abolishing the existing subsidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

blanch152 wrote: »
    Private schools cost the taxpayers less money than public schools, yes, but my objection is to them being subsidised at all. I have no issue with someone paying €7k to have their child educated privately, I just don't think the State should contribute in that case. If that means fees going up to €10k or €12k or more, sure some people will stop paying it and revert to the public system, but plenty of them will pay the higher fee, so I don't think the state will be down money.

It only costs the State more money if every pupil in a private school subsequently transfers to a public school. I would guesstimate that if as few as 15% of pupils stay in private schools, then the State would be up money by abolishing the existing subsidy.
    Why? Anyone sending their child to a private school would pay quite a bit of tax into the public pot. Why shouldn’t their children avail of the tax that’s paid?

Really?
    Thats racist?
    In that case i'd be a 5th Dan.
    I abhor that stuff. You?
    I answered your question. There is no point asking me again as I have answered. If you don't agree that means nothing other than you disagree but you will still be a racist. The question now is what level of racist are you? There are a series if question put to you.

Now are you going to answer the question put to you or just keep whinging that you don't agree with what I have said?

As for why my property is not suitable for travellers in the city centre, small accomadation, expensive, over HAP rates, small storage etc...I could actually rented to travellers I never checked. People from Athlone have a similar accent associated with travellers so could have.
    No I wouldn't.live beside a halting site but that is because I like city living. Lived not far from travellers halting site growing up One guy was in my class for a while. Didn't like him personally but his brother was sound. Both dead now from ill health before reaching 45.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement