Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

blanch152 wrote: »
    Private schools cost the taxpayers less money than public schools, yes, but my objection is to them being subsidised at all. I have no issue with someone paying €7k to have their child educated privately, I just don't think the State should contribute in that case. If that means fees going up to €10k or €12k or more, sure some people will stop paying it and revert to the public system, but plenty of them will pay the higher fee, so I don't think the state will be down money.

It only costs the State more money if every pupil in a private school subsequently transfers to a public school. I would guesstimate that if as few as 15% of pupils stay in private schools, then the State would be up money by abolishing the existing subsidy.

I don't understand your logic. :confused:

You are advocating taking money from private schools that save the State money.

So if you take money away from private schools, the State has to step in and spend more money.

Can you not see that the private schools are actually providing a good service and benefiting the State.

Why would you shoot yourself in the foot and penalise private schools that are actually saving you money? :confused:

Can't say I agree with your guestimate either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Please please start another thread the ramblings on in here are a method of getting this thread closed.

Wouldn't surprise me if pavee point has people set up on here to do so.

Keep this for Cash as it's annoying now trying to read through and no cash news at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Anyone else waiting on something?

An alibi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Why? Anyone sending their child to a private school would pay quite a bit of tax into the public pot. Why shouldn’t their children avail of the tax that’s paid?
    No,no,no
    We have established you can't mention paying extra tax. Makes no difference to say how money should be spent.
    It is a simple argument the state provides an education service, if you don't avail of it that is fine but you shouldn't take money from that budget if going private. Pay the entirety if you want private schooling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well in relation to the death of a homeless man in Belfast Margaret has posted "How many more people gonna did on the streets on the cold R.I.P'

Alos reposted that TRAVELLER FAMILIES WIN REPRIEVE FROM EVICTION

Five Traveller families threatened with eviction have won a reprieve to stop their removal from a site in Clondalkin.

This comes after local councillors called for a solution to the standoff between the families and South Dublin County Council.

The families, who have 28 children including two toddlers, have been living in caravans on an old school site in Balgaddy with no electricity or running water, for the last two months.

They were due to be evicted by South Dublin County Council on Friday 11th, but it was called off after the families refused to leave.

Martin Collins, Director of Pavee Point, called on Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy to help the families.

“Ongoing evictions by local authorities and other public landowners is causing Travellers unnecessary hardship and suffering,” he said.

“The Minister has a humanitarian responsibility here to intervene.

“Evictions get us nowhere and Travellers feel like they are being persecuted for simply trying to survive.

“It is not fair to punish individual Traveller families, who are just trying to survive, for the failures of the State and general society overall.”

https://dublingazette.com/news/west-dublin-news/travellers-eviction-23896/

Yeah cause the families are being persecuted for being able to pull up and enter a site which they don't own

They didn't abide the agreement they entered in

I fail to see how moving these families who have no rights to be there is is causing Travellers unnecessary hardship and suffering

All the fault of society overall

Will try the same thing so if it ever becomes necessary. If asked to leave I'll just refuse and it'll all be grand.

BattleCorp wrote: »

Why would you shoot yourself in the foot and penalise private schools that are actually saving you money? :confused:
    The reason you are confused is because you think it saves money when it doesn't.
    It costs public school funding because of economy of scales. It hoovers up funding and make public schools worse off. Less pupils in local schools restricts their access to facilities and teachers. It is going to be stopped but it should have happened sooner. Private school pupils don't really do that much better either anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    “It is not fair to punish individual Traveller families, who are just trying to survive, for the failures of the State and general society overall.”

Haha yeah the overwhelming amount of travelers that represent the prison population and crimes committed is definitely down to "failures of the State and general society overall."

Everyone else's fault bar their own is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The reason you are confused is because you think it saves money when it doesn't.
    It costs public school funding because of economy of scales. It hoovers up funding and make public schools worse off. Less pupils in local schools restricts their access to facilities and teachers. It is going to be stopped but it should have happened sooner. Private school pupils don't really do that much better either anyway

the only word for that is bollix. they get the same grant per pupil as public schools. Economies of scale do not apply to schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So basically let yourself onto any land or property and state you are a traveller.

You now have the best chance of getting away with whatever you want.

Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

So basically let yourself onto any land or property and state you are a traveller.

Amazing.
    hell yeah, great idea

the only word for that is bollix. they get the same grant per pupil as public schools. Economies of scale do not apply to schools.
    economy of scale applies to everything. You are clueless on funding and resources. Try running a building for 500 pupils and only 100 pupils attending. Economy of scale doesn't apply right?

Economy of scale doesn't apply to the topic of this thread. If it did child number 7 would cost us next to nothing.

Economy of scale doesn't apply to the topic of this thread. If it did child number 7 would cost us next to nothing.

true, unfortunately it costs us more than first 3 all together :)

Amazing.

Yeah pity the trespass law isn't being used as it should and the caravans confiscated off them

"When RTÉ Investigates first met Patrick McInerney in October, he had moved illegally onto a disused construction site in Tullamore. When we went back a week later, the family had already been moved on - the site was blocked up and a single security guard sat in a car outside the main entrance, to stop any further unauthorised entry. The Traveller families, ten in all, had relocated to a Retail Park not far away. They lasted four days there before receiving an eviction notice posted to their caravan doors. That notice warned them of prosecution under a provision of the so-called 2002 Trespass Act, which made trespass a criminal offence for the first time.

Under that Act Gardaí can evict without a written notice and if the trespassers refuse to leave they can confiscate their caravans or vehicles.

It is one of a number of laws that Councils can use to evict people and it is the most feared by Travellers, because it allows the State to confiscate a family home without going to court."

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2018/1217/1017612-travellers-in-local-authorities-data/

Local councils should move them on as soon as they know they are there

In the case in Clondalkin the family A planned eviction was postponed before Christmas to allow the families time to arrange somewhere to go.

The families said they would leave but now haven't

Stay somewhere you shouldn't should = caravan confiscation

..and cars confiscated as well, when you park your car on someones property, you'll get towed

Yeah true enough

What a muppet, economy of scale applies to everything. You are clueless on funding and resources. Try running a building for 500 pupils and only 100 pupils attending. Economy of scale doesn't apply right?

So let me get his straight, you think the small number of private schools are causing public schools to lack pupils? Even if we ignore the bollixology of your ridiculous example this makes no sense. If you want a counter example how about a public school that is already at the limit of pupils in a class. Instead of sending their child to that school (which would require the hiring of an extra pupil for a very small increase in grant funding) the parents send little johnny to a private school. So as well as costing the state less the parents have also saved their local public school an expense.

Yes it does, building a house costs so much and additional size is cheaper to build after the initial costs.
    Seriously you all think I am some liberal idiot commie but you lot are proving yourselves to have very poor comprehension and understanding on basic stuff.

• Advertisement

Yes it does, building a house costs so much and additional size is cheaper to build after the initial costs.
    Seriously you all think I am some liberal idiot commie but you lot are proving yourselves to have very poor comprehension and understanding on basic stuff.

If you could come up with some kind of coherent argument that would be great.

So you keep telling everyone, Ray. You must be very popular at parties.

What a muppet, economy of scale applies to everything. You are clueless on funding and resources. Try running a building for 500 pupils and only 100 pupils attending. Economy of scale doesn't apply right?

So let me get his straight, you think the small number of private schools are causing public schools to lack pupils? Even if we ignore the bollixology of your ridiculous example this makes no sense. If you want a counter example how about a public school that is already at the limit of pupils in a class. Instead of sending their child to that school (which would require the hiring of an extra pupil for a very small increase in grant funding) the parents send little johnny to a private school. So as well as costing the state less the parents have also saved their local public school an expense.
    Yes every private school only takes in people when there are no spaces left in a public school. You are talking nonsense. I am not the only person who has said this nor made up. It doesn't matter they are going to cut public funds going to private schools. It is just late in coming. The same statement made for travellers, why am I funding their choice of lifestyle?
    Want private schooling pay for it in its entirety that is my view and it is happening. If you think they will all suddenly go to public schools you are dreaming.

This is the cruellest bit on this whole thread Ray, talking about schools on a thread about travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't understand your logic. :confused:

You are advocating taking money from private schools that save the State money.

So if you take money away from private schools, the State has to step in and spend more money.

Can you not see that the private schools are actually providing a good service and benefiting the State.

Can't say I agree with your guestimate either.

Simple maths. My understanding (and I am open to correction if you have exact figures) is that the average private school receives about 85-90% of the funding that a public school does. Therefore the cost to the State of a private school pupil is less than that of a public school, as you have stated, and with which I agree.

If a private school closes and all of the pupils transfer to a public school, then the State pays more money for the education of those pupils, and in that, you are also correct.

However, there is a fundamental flaw in your logic and that relates to the assumption that all of those pupils will transfer to a public school. Some of the private schools will continue even if all State funding is withdrawn. Fees to private pupils will rise. So long as at least 15% of private pupils continue in private education, the State will save money from the removal of funding from private education. The scaremongering around cost increasing is just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

blanch152 wrote: »
    Given the standards by which you are judging what it is to be racist, can you tell me which of the following statements you agree with and which you believe to be racist?

1. The culture of criminality, misogyny and homophobia within the travelling community in Ireland should be condemned, particularly how it manifests itself in seeing young girls being taken out of school at 12/13, married off a few years later to close relatives, being turned into baby factories and occupying a disproportionate share of women's refuges (All of these are facts, backed up in census statistics and independent reports).

2. The culture of criminality within the Mafia community in Italy should be condemned.

3. The culture of misogyny within certain African tribes which sees young babies subject to FGM should be condemned.

4. The culture of misogyny and homophobia within certain Islamic societies and cultures should be condemned, particularly how it results in prosecutions for sodomy and adultery.

5. The culture of expansion of the state of Israel in order to oppress Palestinians should be condemned.

You can just list 1-5 and whether you agree or disagree with the statements. It will help me classify where you fit in to the type of racist you are.

Ray, in all the discussion about schools, you may have missed this post which gives you the opportunity to identify which type of racist you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why? Anyone sending their child to a private school would pay quite a bit of tax into the public pot. Why shouldn’t their children avail of the tax that’s paid?
    quite rightly they do via whatever public services they do use. however if the parents decide to send them to a private fee paying school which is ultimately a business then i don't see why that should be subsidized in any way given realistically itt's not up to the state to be subsidizing private industry where such industry is clearly financially viable and capible of supporting itself

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jaysus lads, start a boarding school thread. It has no bearing on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder is she doing then year challenge?
    How many kids has she had since 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I wonder is she doing then year challenge? How many kids has she had since 2009?

More than she can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You are right I made a mistake ment Roger.

No worries

• Advertisement

More than she can afford.

She never claimed to be poor!

She never claimed to be poor!

She must be getting an income other than the handouts from the state so. When someone else is paying for her kids it's logical to assume she can't afford them and therefore is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

In fairness though Ray, you're a bit all over the place, and you still cant grasp salient points, despite your avowed intelligence, no doubt which contributed to you amassing your property portfolio, points made repeatedly by several posters. We're seeing diminishing returms on our efforts.

Ive no issue with supporting a traveller wanting to send his kids to school, get a job, have a life. They need all the help and supports they can get. Money well spent if you will. No issue with providing refuge for the traveller women who is 16 times as likely to have the shıt beaten out of her. Its the right thing to do.

Ive just got an issue with:
    (*sighs, copies and pastes)
      Criminality Fraud Violence Domestic violence Family fueding Child neglect Theft Bigotry Aggression Intimidation Anti social behaviour Dumping waste Animal cruelty Irresponsibility & Unaccountability

....and continuing to indulge a proportion of society who have no intention of working an honest days work, and who see society as but a soft touch to rob, cheat and mug off.

So, that would be a "no". You've absolutely nothing, other than saying I'm a racist, based on no evidence, other than you have called me one.
    Chapeau. Excellent debating skills.

Ive been thinking though, maybe we could cut funding to rural communities affected by storm damage as punishment for the Council not spending their traveller budget? Because you're not suggesting anything, only repeating yourself. You've no one convinced. I doubt you even believe yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I dont think its a case of us thinking you are an idiot liberal idiot, you have posted enough idiotic nonsense to prove that you are an idiot commie.

If people are stupid enough to pay for private schooling then let them off. This means the only part of that schooling the Government pays for is the teaching, the teachers have to be employed and paid for no matter where the private school pupils go so private schools are a benefit to the exchequer.

Fine Gael will never allow moves against private schools or private hospitals. The main reason people pay for private schools is so their children can go to school with people like themselves and go their whole lives long without ever having to cross paths with Cashes children. its the same with private hospitals, you have less chance of being stuck in award with drunks and smokingobese addicts so the peace you will get if you are unwell is worth every cent. The Government encourage private health insurance through tax reliefs so private hospitals arent going anywhere either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Can you imagine getting so drunk and stoned that you'd end up setting your house on fire and putting your son in that position?

No but I never said I condoned that , what I said is the council were accountable ALSO.

Goldengirl wrote:
    No but I never said I condoned that , what I said is the council were accountable ALSO.

Council are not accountable. The only one accountable became a victim by his own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Goldengirl wrote: »

Are you taking about steps to clamp down on illegal activity that make halting sites unsafe? That's more of a matter for the Gardi than the council.

They tampered with the fire hydrant so that had to be shut off.
    They tampered with the electricity.
    They added a prefab to the site without permission.

So the issues are not council but the lake of enforcement of the law.
    The Garda can't catch every traveller that comments a crime and their is no room in prisons for them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How is this thread still going?

What has Margaret done now?
    QXy5BQ1.png

Or is the thread just going around in the same circles?

CkTptcm.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tretorn wrote: »
    I dont think its a case of us thinking you are an idiot liberal idiot, you have posted enough idiotic nonsense to prove that you are an idiot commie.

If people are stupid enough to pay for private schooling then let them off. This means the only part of that schooling the Government pays for is the teaching, the teachers have to be employed and paid for no matter where the private school pupils go so private schools are a benefit to the exchequer.

Fine Gael will never allow moves against private schools or private hospitals. The main reason people pay for private schools is so their children can go to school with people like themselves and go their whole lives long without ever having to cross paths with Cashes children. its the same with private hospitals, you have less chance of being stuck in award with drunks and smokingobese addicts so the peace you will get if you are unwell is worth every cent. The Government encourage private health insurance through tax reliefs so private hospitals arent going anywhere either.

Myself and my partner are unlikely to be able to afford to send our son to private school but I would if I could, im dreading sending my boy into a leftists dominated public education system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you taking about steps to clamp down on illegal activity that make halting sites unsafe? That's more of a matter for the Gardi than the council.

Nothing to do with the Gardaí

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Myself and my partner are unlikely to be able to afford to send our son to private school but I would if I could, im dreading sending my boy into a leftists dominated public education system

It must keep you up at night....! :confused:

How is this thread still going?

What has Margaret done now?

Or is the thread just going around in the same circles?

Margaret has campaigned to improve her situation.
    The thread keeps going because people want to discuss the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Goldengirl wrote: »

You're going on about the council all the time.

Tell us exactly how the council are to blame. As I said already, The council can't send a minder to each site every night in case somebody collapses in a heap while the chip pan is still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

This woman is so much more clever than people give her credit for, she has a gaggle of kids and it's milking the system that pampers to her ilk. While everyone ones moans and give out, she is sitting with her feet up laughing at us eejits working for a living.

All she has to do is keep popping out kids and the gravy train gets better and better. Her spawn will milk the system after mammy shows them just how easy it is. Personally I couldn't be a leech like her, but her kind will leech as long as they can get away with it.

Don't know who sickens me more, her kind or the kind that defend her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

This woman is so much more clever than people give her credit for, she has a gaggle of kids and it's milking the system that pampers to her ilk. While everyone ones moans and give out, she is sitting with her feet up laughing at us eejits working for a living.

All she has to do is keep popping out kids and the gravy train gets better and better. Her spawn will milk the system after mammy shows them just how easy it is. Personally I couldn't be a leech like her, but her kind will leech as long as they can get away with it. 7

Don't know who sickens me more, her kind or the kind that defend her.

Two cheeks of the same arse.

The Elites 'earn' so much that they're never going to have to live beside them. 'Shure aren't they great craic with their quaint little customs'. All that guff.:rolleyes:

The underclass inhabit the same envionment as the pavees & see them as quite normal.

Meanwhile, the working/coping class have to pick up the the tab for all of the wasters mentioned above.

Pavees, Elites & the underclass need to be strung up and shot.

None of them are worth their weight in rabbit droppings.

Edit; At least rabbit droppings can make your grass grow!

Two cheeks of the same arse.

The Elites 'earn' so much that they're never going to have to live beside them. 'Shure aren't they great craic with their quaint little customs'. All that guff.:rolleyes:

The underclass inhabit the same envionment as the pavees & see them as quite normal.

Meanwhile, the working/coping class have to pick up the the tab for all of the wasters mentioned above.

Pavees, Elites & the underclass need to be strung up and shot.

None of them are worth their weight in rabbit droppings.

Edit; At least rabbit droppings can make your grass grow!

Not true, the 'elites' can hate travellers just as much as anyone else can.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/howth-halting-sites-plan-deferred-at-heated-fingal-council-meeting-1.80570

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/council-approves-controversial-traveller-halting-sites-26123015.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

They have the power to keep them off their doorsteps.

The rest of us haven't got that luxury.

They have the power to keep them off their doorsteps.

The rest of us haven't got that luxury.

I can definitely see the hypocrisy of certain high profile members of the media.

Pat Kenny fights against a development beside his home against a property developer.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/broadcaster-pat-kenny-objects-to-ill-thought-housing-development-next-to-his-dalkey-home-883587.html

But in Finglas:

Pat Kenny on walkabout says the traveller's live 'third world conditions'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/travellers-living-conditions-2421692-Nov2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sure 5 of the 6 presidential candidates basically said, "move a halting site in beside my house, I'd love one there".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Then you shouldnt have had a kid. Is that not one of the staple points of this thread? Cash had kids she couldn't afford seems you did to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement