Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What it takes to step up to a 50 mile run....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I used a Runners World training plan for my first 50 miler (not the one linked), many years ago, and to be perfectly honest it was a pile of crap.

The plan you linked to won't be much use to you as it's a 21 week plan, which won't do for a race 7 weeks from now!

To be frank, there isn't enough time to do any real structured training between now and race day. If you insist on doing it this year then run as much in the mountains as you can for the next 5 weeks and be prepared to suffer on race day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ah I've been on a structured plan for several endurance events this year already..not starting from ground zero..
    Was just thinking it could be the last hurrah....given the fact im going well this year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ah I've been on a structured plan for several endurance events this year already..not starting from ground zero..
    Was just thinking it could be the last hurrah....given the fact im going well this year..

Ah sure, just do it! That plan still won't be much good to you as it's too late to put any real structure on.

I'd head into the mountains every weekend and run as much as you can get away with, and during the week just follow your normal training routine. You need some long runs, where it's much more important to spend time on your feet than run a certain pace, and you need to get used to running in the mountains if you're racing in the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ah sure, just do it! That plan still won't be much good to you as it's too late to put any real structure on.

I'd head into the mountains every weekend and run as much as you can get away with, and during the week just follow your normal training routine. You need some long runs, where it's much more important to spend time on your feed than run a certain pace, and you need to get used to running in the mountains if you're racing in the mountains.

One thing in my favour at least....:cool:

Advertisement