Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

When I read some people in this thread;

464555.jpg

I would give you a good reply to that but I don't want to get banned :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

spix wrote: »

latest?cb=20160203164920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Amazing file name :PAC:

Never noticed.. Pure coincidence.. I'm not very technical like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

https://streamable.com/7gdyc

Right click, play at 1/2 speed.

What do you think it is after listening to it?

'Find Finches'

location, Clondalkin ...sent

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

DJ and Ben askren apparently trading. UFC to ONE. Strange move by DJ but suppose he never really was appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm loath to reply to you, but honestly in a million years you couldn't give me a good reply.

COLOR="Silver"]first and only reply to you[/COLOR

I'm loath to reply to you, but honestly in a million years you couldn't give me a good reply.

COLOR=Silver]first and only reply to you[/COLOR

I could but honestly I don't want to post something rude to someone who really doesn't like swearing, you could get upset at the language and report me. I tried to think up a polite reply but failed so you can have that victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

. I tried to think up a polite reply but failed.

It's good to acknowledge failure.
    You'll grow from it.

It's good to acknowledge failure.
    You'll grow from it.

:) Not intentional I promise

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Ok. Question. How can you be 100% sure what he didn't say but at the same the you haven't a notion what he did say, besides throwing kisses

I don't think its throwing kisses. I already said what I think it is but its still totally possible to be able to cancel out one possibility without having the answer.
    I hear "final kisses" - "fight business" -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

:) Not intentional I promise

That much is obvious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads the discussion on what was or wasnt said is done to death.Its irrelevant and you would swear some of you worked for the FBI with the analysis going on. End of discussion on this pointless topic..move on and stop derailing the thread with this nonsense.

On Conor's post-fight analysis
    I am not sure how much of this is actual Conor being honest with himself, while also trying to defend his brand/persona, and as the same build up a rematch or next fight. It also puts a bit of closure on it to a degree so he can move onto to the next fight with a cleaner slate.

Round 4. My recovery was not where it could have been here. 
    That is my fault. 
    So he admits his cardio/recovery was not were it could have been. But when he says that is his fault, that means there is something he could have done. Whether that is training more or less non-professional activities....

Re the khabib shot in round 2
    If I stay switched on and give his stand up even a little more respect, that right hand never gets close and we are talking completely different now.
    I gave his upright fighting no respect in preparation. No specific stand up spars whatsoever. 
    Attacking grapplers/wrestlers only.
    That won’t happen again. 
    interesting he says if he had of stayed switched on" - This could be referring to ring rust or something else. 
    He says "upright fighting no respect in preparation". I believe he must have prepared for this in some way. If he did not then him and his team must admit that as a mistake. I just don't get how that can happen at this level. They must have thought about it at least, and maybe he is more saying they prepared somewhat but not enough. 
    expect the unexpected, comfortable with the uncomfortable liners come to mind here. In this context that is what they are - one liners
    He also said something similar about Floyd. How they did not prepare for the Mexican walk down style. 
    Sounds like a lot of excuses but equally so (in some cases at least) it is genuine errors that will need to be fixed. Excuses/errors, does it depend on your perspective? Hindsight is a beautiful thing also.
    Sounds like some of the lessons JK(from the evidence I have seen/heard) learnt from Diaz fights were repeated here (e.g. training properly). So The smartass in me would love to ask JK, given that he does not like repeated mistakes(learn the lesson and don't repeat the mistake), what do you do when you keep making the same mistakes. Having said that, at the end of the day he is only human. Nobody is perfect. But in some ways "Do as I say not as I do" comes to mind.   
    On Putin. I would like to have Conor questioned on this because of some of his verbal assaults on Khabib where completely contradictory. I hope maybe his next opponent has some verbiage for him. Or even a journalist. But then again, this is the fight game, not philosophy or not a place where people are exposed to the hypocrisy...
    Anyhow look forward to the next fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    He says "upright fighting no respect in preparation". I believe he must have prepared for this in some way. If he did not then him and his team must admit that as a mistake. I just don't get how that can happen at this level.
    Why is that unbelievable?
    Khabib is the best grappler in MMA. The takedowns and control was seen as his path to the win. It largely was his path to the win. Prior to the fight, everyone described this as striker vrs grappler. Almost everyone would have said Conor needs to focus entirely on stopping the takedown. And if the fight stays standing, it's a foregone conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he did feck all standup training. It certainly looked that way in the fight itself.

It is mad how McGregor needs a loss every now and then to refocus himself it seems. His performance vs Alvarez, which was out of this world, came only 7 months after his loss to Diaz. Maybe this will refocus him again and he gets a good win under his belt and rematches Khabib next year.

Well he definitely done some standup sparring you can see it in the videos he posted along with photo of bloody mouth/black eye. Probably not enough focus on making sure his standup was up to scratch however as they were definitely focusing more on wrestling.

Mellor wrote: »
    He says "upright fighting no respect in preparation". I believe he must have prepared for this in some way. If he did not then him and his team must admit that as a mistake. I just don't get how that can happen at this level.
    Why is that unbelievable?
    Khabib is the best grappler in MMA. The takedowns and control was seen as his path to the win. It largely was his path to the win. Prior to the fight, everyone described this as striker vrs grappler. Almost everyone would have said Conor needs to focus entirely on stopping the takedown. And if the fight stays standing, it's a foregone conclusion
    I did not mean unbelievable. Just highly unlikely at this level IMO. But if so then i think it nieve but what do I know, i am just an average joe. Maybe he trained for it in some variation but not enough and that is what he is getting at with "no respect". I am sure it was a shot that Khabib has used before. I think Dan Hardy covered if I am not mistaken? Think it was the eagle shot he called, but I could be mixing that up with Khabibs left hand. if i get time will check it. He came across Mendez and Alvarez, which I am sure did something similar. I even think Mendez landed some over hand rights but that was at featherweight, maybe that was the difference. Anyhow...

Well he definitely done some standup sparring you can see it in the videos he posted along with photo of bloody mouth/black eye. Probably not enough focus on making sure his standup was up to scratch however as they were definitely focusing more on wrestling.
    I think his stand up looked off, more due to fatigue than not enough focus on it in training, especially when you look at that 3rd round. look back at the diaz rematch, he just tires in the last rounds. I'm not sure if he could knock anyone out/down in them later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I did not mean unbelievable. Just highly unlikely at this level IMO. But if so then i think it nieve but what do I know, i am just an average joe. Maybe he trained for it in some variation but not enough and that is what he is getting at with "no respect". I am sure it was a shot that Khabib has used before. I think Dan Hardy covered if I am not mistaken? Think it was the eagle shot he called, but I could be mixing that up with Khabibs left hand. if i get time will check it. He came across Mendez and Alvarez, which I am sure did something similar. I even think Mendez landed some over hand rights but that was at featherweight, maybe that was the difference. Anyhow...
    The Eagle punch is like a hammerfist uppercut kind of punch, real weird one to throw.

Khabib caught him with the wrestlers bread and butter punch, overhand right from the parking lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The Eagle punch is like a hammerfist uppercut kind of punch, real weird one to throw.

Khabib caught him with the wrestlers bread and butter punch, overhand right from the parking lot.

From standing up right to a semi crouch- level change then pop the over hand from beyond the octagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I took no specific stand up to mean that he didn't have people replicate Khabib's striking to try exploit his style. Not that he did zero stand up.

As opposed to Aldo, where he would have been studying the tape, picking out his combos etc.
    I am sure it was a shot that Khabib has used before. I think Dan Hardy covered if I am not mistaken? Think it was the eagle shot he called, but I could be mixing that up with Khabibs left hand..

Eagle punch is a "russain hook" thrown in an uppercut trajectory.
    The punch vrs Conor was an overhand. Complete opposite to eagle punch. He level changes, to get Conor to drop his hands in order to defend the takedown. It's wrestler 101. It works because guys have to react to the level change or else they get taken down.

Mellor wrote: »
    Eagle punch is a "russain hook" thrown in an uppercut trajectory.
    The punch vrs Conor was an overhand. Complete opposite to eagle punch. He level changes, to get Conor to drop his hands in order to defend the takedown. It's wrestler 101. It works because guys have to react to the level change or else they get taken down.
    " It's wrestler 101" - that is exactly what I mean how was he not prepared for it. But all good I take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Good to see him appreciating it all anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpZjLOlASHt/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

ricero wrote: »
    If you though Joe Brolly was bad then i would advice people not to listen to Ewan MacKenna interview on Dunphys podcast.

Some ****e spouted about Mcgregor and the sport
    dulux99 wrote: »
    On the other hand Dunphy had Philip O'connor on last week who did a great job of representing the sport. I wish I was that eloquent when my Co workers ask me about it!

Phil (my brother) has Brolly on his podcast this week. Should be interesting!

zuutroy wrote: »

Oh jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

zuutroy wrote: »

Or not. No disrespect to your bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It's up now. I couldn't even make it past the intro. He's an insufferable twat. Was joking with mates about how long it would take him to mention that he was a kidney donor and it took a couple of minutes longer than I expected, because he was busy talking about how famous he is.

I don't think I could stomach it to be honest. I can't stand him as a gaelic football pundit, so to hear him verbalise his thoughts on mma in podcast form may drive me to putting my head through a wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is Darren Till calling him out for a fight or he just wants McGregor to fight in Anfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Is Darren Till calling him out for a fight or he just wants McGregor to fight in Anfield?

He wants him to fight at anfield before his retirement fight (which he's assuming will be in Ireland)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement