Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Didn't realise he was already back in Ireland :

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpccIMPHfIz/?hl=en&taken-by=coach_kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is there a non wrestler fight for McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Those are from 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Those are from 2014
    Shíte your right, I fell for the clickbait like a dummy. I thought Ben was referring to Till :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

but even applying those to today's context, I'd say Poirier, Aldo and Nate are likely next matchups who aren't really wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Looking at some social media stuff it seems McGregor has spent the last week in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Looking at some social media stuff it seems McGregor has spent the last week in the gym

He took the boxing class aswell judging by what kavanagh said in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ASOT wrote: »
    He took the boxing class aswell judging by what kavanagh said in his post.

Spotted that alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

When is the the next fight? 3 months? 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Smiles35 wrote: »
    When is the the next fight? 3 months? 6 months?
    Paddy's weekend would probably be a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think his Mrs is due to have another baby relatively soon, so I think he'll probably take a bit more time than that. But you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think his Mrs is due to have another baby relatively soon, so I think he'll probably take a bit more time than that. But you never know.

Think JK has said paddys weekend could be a possibility to rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Every year it seems Paddy's day is floated for a McGregor fight somewhere and it's never happened. I hope he's back that soon but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fromvert wrote: »
    Every year it seems Paddy's day is floated for a McGregor fight somewhere and it's never happened. I hope he's back that soon but I won't hold my breath.

I don't think it's ever actually suggested by the UFC. It's just a long running gag that the UFC are coming to Dublin for paddy's day.
    Can't see a PPV happening here at time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

From the early signs already, I'm liking Mcgregors new attitude, willing to fight whoever is next in order to get a title shot, back in the gym training already, cutting down on the social media posts and whiskey selling. Seems like he has got the message .

If he can continue like this and cut the outside distractions, I could see him giving Khabib a real fight next time.

Hope the rumours of a khabib and GSP fight are true. That would be a great fight, then for Mcgregor to fight Ferguson (which I dont think Ferguson would have a problem with), then the winners of those two fights to fight each other. If its Mcgregor and Khabib, that would be some build up to a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From the early signs already, I'm liking Mcgregors new attitude, willing to fight whoever is next in order to get a title shot, back in the gym training already, cutting down on the social media posts and whiskey selling. Seems like he has got the message .

What are the early signs? One tweet?

JJayoo wrote: »
    What are the early signs? One tweet?

I'd assume being back in the gym and taking/running classes is what he meant

ASOT wrote: »
    I'd assume being back in the gym and taking/running classes is what he meant

But how is him being in the gym any different? He's a professional athlete at the top of his game and like JK said on Rogan McG is always in the gym.

• Advertisement

But how is him being in the gym any different? He's a professional athlete at the top of his game and like JK said on Rogan McG is always in the gym.

Biggest loss of his career, he could have easily went off the rails etc but he's showing the same attitude like after the Diaz fogut to get stuck back in striaght away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

To see him back in the gym immediately is definitely encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So tony is stepping in ring december charity boxing event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Commanchie wrote: »
    Think JK has said paddys weekend could be a possibility to rock.

He said that last year too

Because people have created this idea that he wasn't training hard to the Khabib fight. And now he's back at it taking it seriously.
    Both are untrue imo. But they make more sense together than either on their own

Mellor wrote: »
    Because people have created this idea that he wasn't training hard to the Khabib fight. And now he's back at it taking it seriously.
    Both are untrue imo. But they make more sense together than either on their own

Kinda like how to justify the Diaz loss, Diaz became this 7 foot 350lb world beater instead of a guy who has fought 6 times in 5 years and lost half of those fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Kinda like how to justify the Diaz loss, Diaz became this 7 foot 350lb world beater instead of a guy who has fought 6 times in 5 years and lost half of those fights.

Uhm...fighting at a weight class you've never fought in against a man who is famous for having an iron chin and unbelievable cardio tends to lead to a harder fight.

And don't forget Conor demanded the rematch be at Welterweight so the circumstances were entirely the same. He could have easily asked for it to be at lightweight but didnt, he seems to never get credit for doing that. Deliberately making the fight harder for himself just to prove a point. How many athletes do that?

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Uhm...fighting at a weight class you've never fought in against a man who is famous for having an iron chin and unbelievable cardio tends to lead to a harder fight.

And don't forget Conor demanded the rematch be at Welterweight so the circumstances were entirely the same. He could have easily asked for it to be at lightweight but didnt, he seems to never get credit for doing that. Deliberately making the fight harder for himself just to prove a point. How many athletes do that?

Why the excuses? McG is a far superior fighter than Diaz he lost in the first fight because he gassed, and the second fight turned from a slaughter into a close fight because his gas tank ran out.

I like Diaz he's entertaining as a fighter but he isn't close to the elite guys in the division.

Also Diaz is a lightweight, I think he fought once at welterweight and got absolutely flung around.

Pretty much.
    Although, I think it goes both ways too. People also waffled repeatedly about how Diaz was drinking tequila in Cabo. I think (although not sure) Diaz confirmed that wasn't true.

I think exaggerating to defend Conor, and exaggerating to put him down, both stem from a similar weird place.
    Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Also don't forget that Conor was the one who made the first fight Welterweight to begin with. People seem to forget that too.

Diaz agreed to 160, Then asked to make it 165, Conor said make it 170.
    That was over-confidence on his behalf. He had been cutting to 155. So should have insisted on 160 imo. Possibly would have change the a lot of events.
    Also Diaz is a lightweight, I think he fought once at welterweight and got absolutely flung around.
    He fought 4 times at WW.
    Ko'd Rory Markham, Subbed Marcus Davis, then lost decisions to Dong Hyun Kim and Rory MacDonald.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement