Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

JJayoo wrote: »
    Cowboy says he is moving to 155 after the Perry fight.

McG Vs Cowboy is a very very marketable fight and one McG can win comfortably. Cowboy is very drained at 155.

The UFC could have McG beat Cowboy and then fight Diaz which could give them a full 12 months of McG hype, would make a lot of money.

Cowboy is finished at the top level.

Whatever is left of his soul will be taken by Mike Perry this Saturday in his hometown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Cowboy says he is moving to 155 after the Perry fight.

McG Vs Cowboy is a very very marketable fight and one McG can win comfortably. Cowboy is very drained at 155.

The UFC could have McG beat Cowboy and then fight Diaz which could give them a full 12 months of McG hype, would make a lot of money.
    According To Cerrone when he was a lightweight he signed a contract or agreed to that fight 3 times but Conor turned them down. I've no idea if that's true or not but he said it in an interview once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

ricero wrote: »
    Cowboy is finished at the top level.

Whatever is left of his soul will be taken by Mike Perry this Saturday in his hometown.

Exactly......perfect for McG to build a fight and hype. You would get a big build up and McG would make some serious change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Cowboy is up and down from lw to ww like a yo-yo. McGregors stock would fall alot amongst MMA fans if he took that fight these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

dulux99 wrote: »
    Cowboy is up and down from lw to ww like a yo-yo. McGregors stock would fall alot amongst MMA fans if he took that fight these days.

Don't agree with this tbh. Hardcore fans might scoff at a Cowboy fight (me included) but McGregor against one of the top 10 most well-known fighters in the UFC would sell lots. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

• Advertisement

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this tbh. Hardcore fans might scoff at a Cowboy fight (me included) but McGregor against one of the top 10 most well-known fighters in the UFC would sell lots. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

That's not what I said though, I didn't mention anything about the fight not selling. His stock amongst MMA fans, people who know the sport, would fall if he goes from fighting the top dog in the division to a washed up, battle weary Cerrone. The one thing that has been constant about McGregor in the last few years is he has almost always taken the hard route when it comes to picking fights. Fighting Cerrone next would be the polar opposite of that, he'd be taking a nice cushy easy win.

The one thing that has been constant about McGregor in the last few years is he has almost always taken the hard route .

Like boxing Flyod?
    Or fighting Diaz twice?
    Or taking 2 years off from mma?

Like boxing Flyod?
    Or fighting Diaz twice?

He fought the best boxer of the generation

The first Diaz fight was borne out of the lightweight champion pulling out of a scheduled fight on short notice ,plus he went up a weight class. He got beat and insisted on a rematch at 170

He's alot of things but absolutely not afraid of a challenge. He was calling out Aldo since before he was even in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cliggg wrote: »
    According To Cerrone when he was a lightweight he signed a contract or agreed to that fight 3 times but Conor turned them down. I've no idea if that's true or not but he said it in an interview once.
    I'd imagine it's nonsense. Conor moved up to LW to fight for the title. And won the title in his first official LW fight. I don't believe Cowboy was given a contract for a title fight, so when was he supposedly offered this fight.

Possible that he was considered to fill in once RDA got injured. But that's not the same as saying he signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

That's not what I said though, I didn't mention anything about the fight not selling. His stock amongst MMA fans, people who know the sport, would fall if he goes from fighting the top dog in the division to a washed up, battle weary Cerrone. The one thing that has been constant about McGregor in the last few years is he has almost always taken the hard route when it comes to picking fights. Fighting Cerrone next would be the polar opposite of that, he'd be taking a nice cushy easy win.

I agree with most of that but I don't think his stock goes down much, if at all. Cowboy is no Denis Siver and Conor taking a winnable yet challenging fight may be exactly what he needs.

Anthony Pettis is another who comes to mind who arguably makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pettis would be a solid fight. He looked pretty good against Ferguson and has no shortage of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tony, Poirier and Aldo make the most sense. I doubt Conor would fight anyone other than those three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pettis and Cerrone are finished at the top if it was 3/4 years ago I'd have loved to have seen those fights but now, no thank you.

They don't deserve a fight with Conor and I'd hate if he wasted a fight on either of them, there's so many better options for him

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Pettis would be a solid fight. He looked pretty good against Ferguson and has no shortage of ability.

Pettis looked glld for about 80 seconds. He was dominated by Tony IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Like boxing Flyod?
    Or fighting Diaz twice?

Ah come on now. None of those are evidence of Conor taking the easy road. Not even remotely. If anything they are clear evidence of the opposite.

As has been said above, switching to a completely different sport in order to fight one of the greatest boxers of his generation in pure boxing, despite never having had a professional boxing match in his life, is the absolute antithesis of taking the easy road. Yeah the ref stopped the fight in the 10th and he lost. But that's like someone making their professional debut (not just their UFC debut but their actual MMA debut) and opting to fight an older Jon Jones in a 5 round match for the very first time and then going 4 rounds with him. Whatever you think about it being a mismatch or joke fight, it cannot possibly be construed as seeking an easy way out.

His fight against Nate involved him accepting a last minute change of opponent who was radically different to the guy he had been preparing for. To do so he had to move up to a weight class he never fought at before and all of this after a pretty debilitating staph infection - well thats just fupping ridiculously ballsy.

When he was beaten and embarrassed by Nate, he made zero excuses and insisted on a rematch with the same guy who had so clearly demonstrated that he was a terrible match up for him - mentally unflappable, very tall and rangy, incredible cardio, granite chin with an excellent ground game and superb boxing. And he did it at the same weight class that so obviously doesn't suit him to prove a point, whereas any other fighter would have insisted it happen at his natural weight class.

As for the two years issue - yeah, he was completely gone from the sport for 2 years then on his return immediately demanded a fight with a guy who everyone knew was an absolute nightmare match up for him for his first bout back. Thats ballsy bordering on stupid.

Conor can be rightfully accused of a number of things, but taking the easy road would never, ever be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Commanchie wrote: »
    Pettis looked glld for about 80 seconds. He was dominated by Tony IMO

Yep. He came out of his best moment of the fight bleeding profusely and he lost dominant position on the ground almost straight away.

Yep. He came out of his best moment of the fight bleeding profusely and he lost dominant position on the ground almost straight away.

Yeah i felt in that period he tried to rush the finish, in doing so was very flustered and tony hurt him and backed him up. I believe he gave up on his chair,not sure he was as hurt as he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tony, Poirier and Aldo make the most sense. I doubt Conor would fight anyone other than those three.

How on earth does a fight with Aldo make sense? It'll be one of Ferguson or Porrier imo

How on earth does a fight with Aldo make sense? It'll be one of Ferguson or Porrier imo

U not think Diaz ?

Commanchie wrote: »
    U not think Diaz ?

I don't. I think it'll be a contender.

• Advertisement

Aldo coming off a big win, McGregor coming off a big loss, Aldo finally moving to 155 where we might see somewhat of a rebirth for him. Needless to say all the history there. They could do worse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aldo coming off a big win, McGregor coming off a big loss, Aldo finally moving to 155 where we might see somewhat of a rebirth for him. Needless to say all the history there. They could do worse tbh.

Beating Stephens is a big win?

rob316 wrote: »
    Beating Stephens is a big win?

Of course he is omg he's like part of McGs biggest putdown so he's a big deal.

It was one of the most memorable moments of the year for me anyway. Aldo on a serious slide and many (including me) had written him off. Stephens was flying at the time. Great finish and seriously emotional scenes after.

The other names bandied about are Ferguson and Pettis. Ferguson deserves to fight Khabib next, never before has a fighter deserved a title fight. Pettis ... Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He moved up from LW to WW nearly three years ago. Since then he has fought exclusively at WW.

Your yo-yos can't have been much fun as a kid.

He moved up from LW to WW nearly three years ago. Since then he has fought exclusively at WW.

Your yo-yos can't have been much fun as a kid.

Lol

It was one of the most memorable moments of the year for me anyway. Aldo on a serious slide and many (including me) had written him off. Stephens was flying at the time. Great finish and seriously emotional scenes after.

The other names bandied about are Ferguson and Pettis. Ferguson deserves to fight Khabib next, never before has a fighter deserved a title fight. Pettis ... Meh

You can't be serious?

You can't be serious?

I can

Your suggestions are Ferguson or Pettis. I think making Ferguson fight another fight before a title shot, from a sporting standpoint, would be totally unnecessary. From a sporting standpoint it's hard to even argue that McGregor deserves a crack at Ferguson. He was totally dominated by Khabib. Iaquinta was more competitive than McGregor was. McGregor needs to work his way up again. Now in saying that, Ferguson would probably love a McGregor fight for the payday.

I can see the argument for McGregor vs Pettis. It just doesn't do a whole lot for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon it's Diaz part 3 next

• Advertisement

I can

Your suggestions are Ferguson or Pettis. I think making Ferguson fight another fight before a title shot, from a sporting standpoint, would be totally unnecessary. From a sporting standpoint it's hard to even argue that McGregor deserves a crack at Ferguson. He was totally dominated by Khabib. Iaquinta was more competitive than McGregor was. McGregor needs to work his way up again. Now in saying that, Ferguson would probably love a McGregor fight for the payday.

I can see the argument for McGregor vs Pettis. It just doesn't do a whole lot for me personally.

I meant that aldo beating a journey man was the highlight of your year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement