Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I meant that aldo beating a journey man was the highlight of your year.

Obviously it wasn't the hilight of my actual year FFS. I was talking in MMA terms. I've been a bit Aldo fan for years, it was a great moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

McG Vs Diaz or possibly Cowboy would be the right money move for the UFC.

Khabib Vs Ferguson and McG Vs a top 5 guy is the right move if you want to pretend that the UFC isnt solely about making money.

However if Tony was matched against McG then I think all involved would be happy. Khabib has fought 3 times in the last 12 months and seems to be touring Russia so he will prob want a break. Let Tony financially secure his future with the McG fight, Khabib gets a rest, McG gets paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thought you guys might want to pick up some of this. As seen in Stillorgan Asian shop.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thought you guys might want to pick up some of this. As seen in Stillorgan Asian shop.

That's the new sponsor replacing Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

UFC are diversifying I guess.

• Advertisement

UFC are diversifying I guess.

All the fighters will be drinking it at the press conferences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

ricero wrote: »

You posted this in the McGregor thread by accident. Oh no wait, you didn't. This is just you continuing your childish actions of taking shots at McGregor any way you can.

Fair play to Khabib, it's nice to see do this to of work. I commend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Banana Ketchup is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You posted this in the McGregor thread by accident. Oh no wait, you didn't. This is just you continuing your childish actions of taking shots at McGregor any way you can.

Fair play to Khabib, it's nice to see do this to of work. I commend him.
    They keep coming back when you feed them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

JJayoo wrote: »
    McG Vs Diaz or possibly Cowboy would be the right money move for the UFC.

Khabib Vs Ferguson and McG Vs a top 5 guy is the right move if you want to pretend that the UFC isnt solely about making money.

However if Tony was matched against McG then I think all involved would be happy. Khabib has fought 3 times in the last 12 months and seems to be touring Russia so he will prob want a break. Let Tony financially secure his future with the McG fight, Khabib gets a rest, McG gets paid.

Who cares about the money move, Conor has enough money. He needs to just fight the best opponents he can get at 155, simple as that.

Lillybloom wrote: »
    Who cares about the money move, Conor has enough money. He needs to just fight the best opponents he can get at 155, simple as that.

Who cares about the money hmmmmmm lets see....McGregor and Dana/UFC care, yano the two players that will decide who McG fights next.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Who cares about the money hmmmmmm lets see....McGregor and Dana/UFC care, yano the two players that will decide who McG fights next.

The money will come if he just focuses on fighting the next in line, people will grow tired of bull**** like Aldo 2 and Diaz 3 or Mayweather 2.

Pettis, Ferguson, Kevin Lee. These would all be interesting fights to watch, forget about the "money move".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

All the talk about what is and isn't a money fight is very boring and tiring. The man is minted beyond comprehension at age 30, the fan in me really hopes he focuses on the sport now for the sake of sport and legacy. Sport shouldn't be defined on how much money you've made. Look at Ronaldo and Messi, both on unfathomable amounts of money, but when you think of them you think of their greatness in the sporting arena first and foremost.

Their philosophy - certainly from listening to Kavanagh - is that if you're going to put your health and life in danger it should be for the most money possible.

That's just the way it is, you don't have to like it but you should come to terms with it. Hoping he will fight the toughest guys without considering who makes him the most money - it's an unrealistic (and even childish) thought, you are wasting your time thinking like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

UFC is not like other sports though.

Every time Conor steps into the Octagon, the UFC gets a bonanza in PPV buys. They want to maximise that to it's fullest effect because a) they are a business first, b) Conor's drawing power will not be infinite - either people will lose interest in watching him or he will retire.

Rematches are much more reliable attractors to the casual fan, as they are with opponents they already know a lot about, and there's an inbuilt narrative:

Aldo: Can he do it again - prove it wasn't a "fluke"? (Note: I don't believe it was, but that can be a narrative people can get behind
    Diaz: Can there be a deciding fight at 1-1? For those who hate Conor and believe he lost the second fight, they get another opportunity to see him lose?
    Mayweather/Khabib: Can he do anything differently from the first fight?

I can see logic for Ferguson fight too, make Conor earn another shot at Khabib. However, UFC is not fair and expecting it to be will just disappoint you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    UFC is not like other sports though.

Every time Conor steps into the Octagon, the UFC gets a bonanza in PPV buys. They want to maximise that to it's fullest effect because a) they are a business first, b) Conor's drawing power will not be infinite - either people will lose interest in watching him or he will retire.

Rematches are much more reliable attractors to the casual fan, as they are with opponents they already know a lot about, and there's an inbuilt narrative:

Aldo: Can he do it again - prove it wasn't a "fluke"? (Note: I don't believe it was, but that can be a narrative people can get behind
    Diaz: Can there be a deciding fight at 1-1? For those who hate Conor and believe he lost the second fight, they get another opportunity to see him lose?
    Mayweather/Khabib: Can he do anything differently from the first fight?

I can see logic for Ferguson fight too, make Conor earn another shot at Khabib. However, UFC is not fair and expecting it to be will just disappoint you...

If he takes bull**** "money fights" people will lose interest. The "money move" is forgetting about the "money move" and reconnecting with the love of the sport. That's what got people's attention in the first place, without it people will grow tired of him.

What we think, Cowboy talking nonsense or is a bout agreement on the table?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJN51zg41d/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xg93vblbi2o1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJN51zg41d/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xg93vblbi2o1

Definitely a fight I'd like to see. I know the commission can be corrupted, but can he sign for a fight while banned and awaiting punishment?

Winklejon will be absolutely gutted he ain't gonna get a percentage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think cowboy is trying to get the fight, acting like its closer to reality than it really is. Or he's just playing along with some stuff the mma media has been putting out.

Can't see conor being interested for a few reasons. Cowboy is more risky than alot of his other options, has submissions + headkicks. Also suddenly he's able to make 155 again despite being older and had to move up to 170 2 years ago, "cowboy is back" didn't know he went anywhere? must have some new supplements.

Conor starches Cowboy early.

Would be a perfect comeback fight for him. A man with a suspect chin who hates body shots.

Conor would toy with him, that teep would be back in full effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, was this from Chael also and I think it was even before Cowboy's post.

https://twitter.com/ChaelSonnen/status/1062519874415583232

It's a dream fight for Conor.
    Cowboy has good bjj from bottom but he has pretty middling take down ability and Conor's hardly going to be shooting power doubles. He doesn't take Conor down so the bjj is an irrelevance.

It would be a stand up fight and Conor would just go to town on his body with the teep before knocking him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Also, Cowboy has absolutely bottled nearly every big fight he’s ever been in, even in WEC. He’ll get paid big time, sure, but I wouldn’t give him even a 10% chance of beating McGregor.

I still want to see it though, you’d probably get very short odds on McGregor showing up to the press conference looking like Billy the Kid just to wind Cerrone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Cowboy struggles when on the back foot, against good strikers, think his boxing isn't great and seems to get hit a lot, has gotten finished by strikes a couple of times recently. Think it's match up heaven for McGregor.

Mcgregor has never faced anyone in the ufc who can throw a dangerous head kick, not something he'll be interested in learning to deal with at this stage. Have you seen where he holds his hands when he fights? He probably got some in training and has said something along these lines before 'i've come through alot worse, you've never experienced shin bone to chin bone' Don't recall him ever getting headkicked once in the ufc. Just my opinion but I dont think you'll ever see him face a dangerous kicker like cowboy or barboza.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Cowboy struggles when on the back foot, against good strikers, think his boxing isn't great and seems to get hit a lot, has gotten finished by strikes a couple of times recently. Think it's match up heaven for McGregor.

He got finished by strikes but only against a massive welterweight + jorge masvidal who is a very dangerous striker, that was also at 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd love to see this fight.....in Cowboy stadium! An interesting thing would be that it would be ppv but not a champ fight so would they main event him. Well be mad to see not be main but a title fight would have to take top spot.

It's mad the amount of comments online how you're a Conor nuthugger if you pick him against cowboy. Not sure if they are just haters, delusional or both. Hope this one gets made

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Can't believe people are serious about wanting to see Mcgrgeor beat up a finished Cowboy Cerrone.

I would lose all respect for Mcgrgeor if he was to take such an easy fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement