Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd love to see this fight.....in Cowboy stadium! An interesting thing would be that it would be ppv but not a champ fight so would they main event him. Well be mad to see not be main but a title fight would have to take top spot.

It's mad the amount of comments online how you're a Conor nuthugger if you pick him against cowboy. Not sure if they are just haters, delusional or both. Hope this one gets made

No they wouldn't. Both his fights against Diaz were main events . The first one had a title fight co main

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

ricero wrote: »
    I would lose all respect for Mcgrgeor if he was to take such an easy fight.

You couldn't give a fcuk about McGregor as it is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You couldn't give a fcuk about McGregor as it is :P

As a human being in the past couple of years no but as a fighter it would be ignorant not to respect his achievements and skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Definitely a fight I'd like to see. I know the commission can be corrupted, but can he sign for a fight while banned and awaiting punishment?

Winklejon will be absolutely gutted he ain't gonna get a percentage
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1062546401857548288?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spix wrote: »
    ' Don't recall him ever getting headkicked once in the ufc. Just my opinion but I dont think you'll ever see him face a dangerous kicker like cowboy or barboza.

Mac Holloway can throw headkicks. And pretty sure he threw one at Conor, who took it on the forearm and was knock back a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ugh I'd honestly hate if Conor wastes a fight on Cowboy. He's ****ing 2-4 in his last 6, def just Cowboy looking for a big payday, hope Conor ignores it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

xtal191 wrote: »
    Ugh I'd honestly hate if Conor wastes a fight on Cowboy. He's ****ing 2-4 in his last 6, def just Cowboy looking for a big payday, hope Conor ignores it.
    I'm the opposite myself, I would love for Donald to get one really big payday. If any current fighter has earned a big payday it's Cerrone imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Mellor wrote: »
    Mac Holloway can throw headkicks. And pretty sure he threw one at Conor, who took it on the forearm and was knock back a bit.

Max is not a dangerous headkicker, he's mostly punches only. Cowboy has several head kick ko's and some at 170. I do remember that head kick now, I don't think it landed just mcgregors knee was damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Max is not a dangerous headkicker, he's mostly punches only. Cowboy has several head kick ko's and some at 170. I do remember that head kick now, I don't think it landed just mcgregors knee was damaged.

I thought you were taking the piss but you're actually serious you think he's avoiding head kickers now. First it was a good striker, then a good bjj black belt, then a good wrestler.

I thought you were taking the piss but you're actually serious you think he's avoiding head kickers now. First it was a good striker, then a good bjj black belt, then a good wrestler.

I never believed he was avoiding any of those... I can't speak on anyone elses opinions but honestly I don't think he will end up fighting someone like cowboy, barboza, pettis. Would love to be proven wrong though. I think his next fight will be the khabib rematch, from hearing ali abdelazizs' interview on the helwani show there were some hints thats what he wants as well if mayweather is not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I honestly think those three are some of the easier options for him, they have poor boxing and struggle with hands and when backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

cliggg wrote: »
    I'm the opposite myself, I would love for Donald to get one really big payday. If any current fighter has earned a big payday it's Cerrone imo.

I don't disagree but Cerrone is probably one of the richest fighters on the roster. He's earned it of course but judging in his lifestyle he's minted. Huge sponsorship deals with Monster etc.

But overall I agree. Most MMA fighters wind up skint anyway so it's good to see guys getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't disagree but Cerrone is probably one of the richest fighters on the roster. He's earned it of course but judging in his lifestyle he's minted. Huge sponsorship deals with Monster etc.

But overall I agree. Most MMA fighters wind up skint anyway so it's good to see guys getting paid

Didn't his Grand da or Granny buy him his ranch with all the land, They had a few quid behind then and took care of him so literally all his money goes on Fun stuff,

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

I find it interesting that people seem to assume Cerrone will be an easy fight for Conor, people thought the same thing about Diaz. It's a strange assumption given they are much bigger opponents than he normally dominates.

Lillybloom wrote: »
    I find it interesting that people seem to assume Cerrone will be an easy fight for Conor, people thought the same thing about Diaz. It's a strange assumption given they are much bigger opponents than he normally dominates.

Assume its because of how cowboy lost to diaz but that's not how things work... cowboy is a very dangerous fight for mcgregor. Bigger, head kicks, submissions, used to long fights against bigger opponents than mcgregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lillybloom wrote: »

The difference being Diaz is almost impossible to stop. Guys with good chins that can take Conor deep into fights are the ones to cause him trouble. Cowboy has been stopped throughout his career and if you so much as touch him to the body he wilts.

Yes, hes bigger than Conor and yes he has fought at 170. But his reaction to the type of pressure and striking that Conor would put on him.....would see him stopped in round 1.

Anything can happen of course but if given the choice I'd rather see Conor fight somebody else.

I disagree. Cowboy wilts when pressured, and wilts in big fights. He's very open about suffering serious anxiety before fights in the locker room and with a fight the magnitude of McGregor then I can't see this changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think if Mcgregor is serious about re-claiming the Lightweight title, he needs to be fighting a better calibre opponent than this, Tony Ferguson/Kevin Lee, Aldo or Barboza.

At least those fights have a bit of meat on them, I dont think he's going to achieve anything by beating Cowboy, it wont change peoples perception about whether or not he can really mix it at the top of the division anymore.

It will give further weight to the argument that Mcgregor is more interested in hype/paydays than actually leaving a legacy.

I think if Mcgregor is serious about re-claiming the Lightweight title, he needs to be fighting a better calibre opponent than this, Tony Ferguson/Kevin Lee, Aldo or Barboza.

At least those fights have a bit of meat on them, I dont think he's going to achieve anything by beating Cowboy, it wont change peoples perception about whether or not he can really mix it at the top of the division anymore.

It will give further weight to the argument that Mcgregor is more interested in hype/paydays than actually leaving a legacy.

Fighting a better calibre opponent... the guy just broke mike perrys arm, why do so many people think cowboy is a bad fighter just because he might have had 1 or 2 bad showings, look how many times he fights and who hes fought against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is there any substance to this rumoured fight ?

I know McGregor signed a new 6 fight contract so they must be trying to milk the cow and throw him a few easy fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Fighting a better calibre opponent... the guy just broke mike perrys arm, why do so many people think cowboy is a bad fighter just because he might have had 1 or 2 bad showings, look how many times he fights and who hes fought against.

I don't think anyone thinks hes a bad fighter, more that hes a level below or two below the very top. Also as exciting as Perry can be, I just don't rate him at all.

Thing is I cant see Conor having too many more fights and I just don't want to see him wasting fights against the likes of Cerrone or Pettis etc, great fighters in their day but they're finished at the top, there's so many better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd Cowboy a bigger payday than Khabib/Tony/Aldo? I wouldn't have thought so.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd Cowboy a bigger payday than Khabib/Tony/Aldo? I wouldn't have thought so.

No chance.

Cowboy is very popular amongst MMA fans but in terms of star quality he's nowhere near Aldo or Khabib. McGregor referenced this a few years ago, he actually fights way too often to be a star. People are just so used to seeing him so often that it detracts from his star power. Always leave them wanting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He didn't break Perry's arm and Mike Perry, although likable, isn't a good fighter.
    Cowboy has two wins in his last 6 fights.

At 155 Cowboy looks and feels ridiculously drained add in the press tour/conferences that they will include and all the media crap and Cowboy will struggle to make weight, he will make it but it won't be fun. He will also have to drop some muscle to get down to 155.

Meanwhile McG is comfortable at 155

I think it will be a huge fight as both are popular fighters and both like to stand. Cowboy has has a huge push behind him at the moment as the guy with most wins/submissions.

Both guys get paid
    Khabib vs Tony
    Diaz vs Poirir.

xtal191 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks hes a bad fighter, more that hes a level below or two below the very top. Also as exciting as Perry can be, I just don't rate him at all.

Thing is I cant see Conor having too many more fights and I just don't want to see him wasting fights against the likes of Cerrone or Pettis etc, great fighters in their day but they're finished at the top, there's so many better options.

I'm a huge mcgregor fan but you realise he's been stopped in 2/4 of his last ufc fights, a submission loss to both diaz and khabib, 2 people who most often win by decision. He's 1-1 at 155lbs and hasn't shown he can definitely consistently win at that weight, he did skip the whole queue to face Alvarez.

I'd be confident saying cowboy has faced much tougher opposition in his last few fights than both diaz and khabib have. If there's anyone who needs to prove they still belong at the top its mcgregor. I don't like saying that but its the truth. He needs to get a convincing win against a decent opponent, cowboy more than suits the bill...as does pettis or any top 10 lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

the guy just broke mike perrys arm

Fake news. Sad.

I know this is the McGregor thread but I just noticed something when looking at Cowboys wiki. Amazingly, he's never headlined a UFC ppv. Nobody has fought more fights in the UFC yet he's never headlined a big event. Crazy.

Effects wrote: »
    Fake news. Sad.

Well, it was nearly broken and definitely damaged, it was a clean submission win, not a neck crank which could have been peeled off. I usually defend mcgregor but the lack of respect to cowboy and perry is crazy. They're both extremely dangerous fighters.

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

Getting a win under his belt would be good for him before taking on such risky fights. Not every fight has to be huge, nor can it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

not a neck crank which could have been peeled off.

Except it wasn't. You can get out of an arm bar as well, Perry just didn't, as Cowboy was too good. I'm glad Perry lost, mainly for how Cowboy was treated at his gym, forcing him to leave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement