Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

clsmooth wrote: »

By that logic...khabib knocking McGregor on his arse is even more impressive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Not really. That youngfella is about 20 years old and weighs about 110lbs. Floyd looked like a monster in the ring with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Not really. That youngfella is about 20 years old and weighs about 110lbs. Floyd looked like a monster in the ring with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Slim to no chance of a rematch there so Mayweather doesn't have to drag the fight out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

The only thing worse than McGregor fanboys are people who outright deny how well the man did against Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's true, he didn't take a dive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The only thing worse than McGregor fanboys are people who outright deny how well the man did against Floyd.

Depends. He did ok. I think Mayweather just carried him until McGregor gassed out. Would've been quite different if Mayweather went aggressive earlier but people had to get value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The Notorious documentary is on rte 2 at 9:30 tonight for anyone interested. I've never seen it myself so i'll be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cliggg wrote: »
    The Notorious documentary is on rte 2 at 9:30 tonight for anyone interested. I've never seen it myself so i'll be watching it.

It falls short on what it could have been. 2/10

The kid was bawling his eyes out at the end.
    McG didn’t cry. Props lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

IMO Mayweather McGregor was an exhibition match. This was supposed to be too but Tenshin got too frisky so Mayweather schooled him. Some of the flailing around blooms ridiculous but I think it's him really trying to stay standing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mayweather's uppercut was legit.

Mayweather had a 9 pound weight advantage on the scales but I would guess he was much heavier in the ring as he looked huge compared to Japanese lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

cliggg wrote: »

It was added to Netflix today too

It was added to Netflix today too

Thanks for that I just started watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

evil_seed wrote: »
    IMO Mayweather McGregor was an exhibition match. This was supposed to be too but Tenshin got too frisky so Mayweather schooled him. Some of the flailing around blooms ridiculous but I think it's him really trying to stay standing

The 1st and 3rd knockdown were completely fake. Looks to me like he was instructed to go down from a left hook. They hardly landed and there was delay in the fall on 1st one, 3rd one Tenshin moved his head to try make the impact seem bigger. Even someone who never fought before wouldn't have gone down from them let alone an undefeated kickboxer. Tenshin took a few clean left hooks and never went down, he made a mistake to go down from the ones which barely touched him. Mayweather took a few punches but that had to happen to make it seem someway legit. The fight was never advertised as a real fight, no judges and just for entertainment as mayweather said. Ofc they're not going to go out and say its a fake fight as it would put people off but thats clearly what it was. If people are going to be fools and believe its a real competition then thats on them.

People say it wasn't fake because why would they pay mayweather millions to have their star get embarassed. 2 reasons 1. losing to mayweather doesn't mean anything seeing as hes regarded as the best boxer of his era and much bigger than tenshin, he'll redeem himself next fight and everyone will forget about this 2. Money made off gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Glad to see Conor had a quiet night in watching rte with the wife and kids for new years.

spix wrote: »
    The 1st and 3rd knockdown were completely fake. Looks to me like he was instructed to go down from a left hook. They hardly landed and there was delay in the fall on 1st one, 3rd one Tenshin moved his head to try make the impact seem bigger. Even someone who never fought before wouldn't have gone down from them let alone an undefeated kickboxer. Tenshin took a few clean left hooks and never went down, he made a mistake to go down from the ones which barely touched him. Mayweather took a few punches but that had to happen to make it seem someway legit. The fight was never advertised as a real fight, no judges and just for entertainment as mayweather said. Ofc they're not going to go out and say its a fake fight as it would put people off but thats clearly what it was. If people are going to be fools and believe its a real competition then thats on them.

People say it wasn't fake because why would they pay mayweather millions to have their star get embarassed. 2 reasons 1. losing to mayweather doesn't mean anything seeing as hes regarded as the best boxer of his era and much bigger than tenshin, he'll redeem himself next fight and everyone will forget about this 2. Money made off gambling.

You don't know sh1t about boxing.
    Tenshin got smashed by a the greatest of all time who weighed 20 pounds heavier than him in a sport he has never competed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

spix wrote: »
    2. Money made off gambling.

This doesn't make any sense. Nobody on earth was backing against Mayweather. He was a short niny favourite on all bets. There was **** all money to be made. If the fix was in it would have been for a split decision win.

Tenshin got smashed by a the greatest of all time who weighed 20 pounds heavier than him in a sport he has never competed in.
    Floyd would have soundly beaten Tenshin in an actual (unfixed) boxing match. Agreed. That doesn't disprove this was a fix !

This might shock you, but fights can be fixed in the direction they would have gone anyway. A fix can be about going down in a specific round, or a specific way. In the case where Floyd seemingly didn't want an actual fight - he wanted an exhibition and initially pulled out when they tried to dupe him - a fix can be about making Floyd agree to do the bout at all. It can be about giving the fans a KO instead of a 3 round exhibition.

Instead of looking at surrounding factors to disprove that it was a fix, look at the sequences in the fight itself. Tenshin was overselling those knockdowns. He was hit - maybe decent shots. He was still overselling it. Anyone who can't see that needs their eyes checked.

My interpretation is Floyd was going to carry tenshin through a handy 3 rounds of sparring . this is evident in the first minute of the fight. 50 seconds in tenshin throws a heavy left and immediately afterwards Floyd starts fighting properly
    It was an exhibition until tenshin threw a full power punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Please... just watch the slo mo of the final punch. It literally barely touches him and then his head flies around the place after a delay. Tenshin is very athetlic and if you watch his previous fights he bounces back up after getting knocked down, here he flailed around like a fish and struggled to get back up from what could barely even be called a punch...twice. Or maybe Floyd suddenly has the touch of death in his hands and even the touch of his glove with zero noticeable impact will turn his opponents legs to jelly. Yep that sounds more plausible, developed that power just in time to use it in what was already the most dubious boxing match ever.

By 20 pounds do you mean 10 pounds? because 10 pounds was the actual difference in weight. It was clear neither of them cut weight, Floyd was 147 and Tenshin 137.
    My interpretation is Floyd was going to carry tenshin through a handy 3 rounds of sparring . this is evident in the first minute of the fight. 50 seconds in tenshin throws a heavy left and immediately afterwards Floyd starts fighting properly
    It was an exhibition until tenshin threw a full power punch.

It doesn't matter what anyones interpretation is, all you got to do is look at Tenshins previous fights and some of the other punches he took from Floyd before the 1st and 3rd knockdowns to see the 'knockdowns' were actually blatant dives.

Floyd has fought some of the best boxers in the world, did it ever cross your mind he was ok with getting hit from a much smaller person to make it more believable.

I didn't think much of the Notorious documentary, they glossed over or just plain ignored lots of stuff choosing instead to show lots of footage of Conor laughing at his own jokes. I'm glad I never paid money to see it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That tenshin thing was so staged it was just missing a choreographer. The first and last time he dropped him was way over the top, in fact I don't even think the third knockdown punch even hit him. Hilarious but fair ****s again to Floyd, easy money.

You don't know **** about combat sports clearly. I wouldn't even go down like that, never mind a hugely accomplished kick boxer. Its staged and not even staged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Didn't Tenshin take a head kick from Hyroguchi previously and not even go down? It all looked very suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

2/10

Poor effort, try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

I thought it looked real, But i also thought it was a disgrace to have a guy who has never boxed and was a stone lighter fight Floyd. I know people are amazed he got $9M for it too, but you'd have to wonder why he did it as he's made $500M from 2 fights and nearly a billion over his career why he's bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

PLOPS wrote: »
    I thought it looked real, But i also thought it was a disgrace to have a gut who wasn't a boxer and a stone lighter fight Floyd. I know people are amazed he got 9mil for it too, but you'd have to wonder why he did it as he's made 500mil from 2 fights and nearly a billion over his career why he's bothered.

Apparently he goes through money at a rate of knots and needs somewhere in the region of 50mil a year to maintain his lifestyle, which I can't even begin to get my head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Apparently he goes through money at a rate of knots and needs somewhere in the region of 50mil a year to maintain his lifestyle, which I can't even begin to get my head around.

I remember he had a watch that was worth $1M, so on that basis I suppose $50M to maintain his lifestyle doesn't surprise me. He's the type of fella i can imagine losing it all because of a Tax bill.

• Advertisement

Private jet, jewelery, cars, huge Entourage, disposable designer clothes. Easily burn through 50m he would. Actually sounds on the low side of his spending

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement