Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Mellor wrote: »
    What year did he earn zero from sponsors?
    Im surprised thst the big sports corporations had that much integrity

2012 or 2013 but every year after it he made little from endorsements.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1651583-floyd-mayweather-why-money-is-missing-out-on-millions-of-dollars#slide2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

PLOPS wrote: »
    They aren't listed on the IMDB, Graeme from Severe was a producer. Not sure how SevereMMA can call it their doc.:confused:

Because Graeme owns Severe and did the majority of the filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Do boxers usually get big deals from sponsors year round like the major sport stars? Would Canelo for example be pulling in the big cash from sponsors outside of his fight promotion where Floyd gets his sponsors.

Assumed the bulk of their sponsors would just sign up for the fight promotion part as a boxer can be out of the spotlight for months/years, they're just not comparable to major sports who are competing multiple times a week and covered my the big media outlets on a daily basis.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Because Graeme owns Severe and did the majority of the filming.

He was on the SevereMMA podcast recently, sounded downbeat and mentioned packing it in. He mustn't have made much money from it (Not that money is the be all and end all).

Fromvert wrote: »
    Do boxers usually get big deals from sponsors year round like the major sport stars? Would Canelo for example be pulling in the big cash from sponsors outside of his fight promotion where Floyd gets his sponsors.

Assumed the bulk of their sponsors would just sign up for the fight promotion part as a boxer can be out of the spotlight for months/years, they're just not comparable to major sports who are competing multiple times a week and covered my the big media outlets on a daily basis.

Canelo has deals with Everlast and Tecate, he doesn't have an ounce of English so he doesn't seem to sell well in America. GGG had an Apple sponsorship and he's connected with Hublot too.

• Advertisement

Canelo has deals with Everlast and Tecate, he doesn't have an ounce of English so he doesn't seem to sell well in America. GGG had an Apple sponsorship and he's connected with Hublot too.

Are they just for the fight and what are the figures?
    I had a quick look and can't see anything substantial to show Floyd is being shafted sponsor wise, no real figures for Canelo or even Joshua from a quick google. Boxing could just be a sport that does pull in big revenue when a big fight is on but it's just not consistent enough for sponsors to throw out multi year sponsorship deals to the competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

He was on the SevereMMA podcast recently, sounded downbeat and mentioned packing it in. He mustn't have made much money from it (Not that money is the be all and end all).

I doubt he was ever in it for the money really, but MMA in Ireland is in a bad spot at the minute. He definitely rode the crest of the McGregor wave in 2015 but I can see why he would be thinking of packing it in right now.

Are they just for the fight and what are the figures?
    I had a quick look and can't see anything substantial to show Floyd is being shafted sponsor wise, no real figures for Canelo or even Joshua from a quick google. Boxing could just be a sport that does pull in big revenue when a big fight is on but it's just not consistent enough for sponsors to throw out multi year sponsorship deals to the competitors.

Not sure on money, but Joshua has a deal with Under Armour and is used as their Marque sports person.
    Vasyl Lomachenko doesn't seem to be attached to anyone but has his own clothing brand, might be big in Ukraine.

There is a list attached here for joshua:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/04/27/13-commercial-sponsors-helping-anthony-joshua-cash-success/

dulux99 wrote: »
    I doubt he was ever in it for the money really, but MMA in Ireland is in a bad spot at the minute. He definitely rode the crest of the McGregor wave in 2015 but I can see why he would be thinking of packing it in right now.

Yeah i was surprised when he said it. He said something to tune of that he was fed up with the whole thing and was going to give it another go, but was considering walking away from it. It was in a discussion with Sean.

Not sure on money, but Joshua has a deal with Under Armour and is used as their Marque sports person.
    Vasyl Lomachenko doesn't seem to be attached to anyone but has his own clothing brand, might be big in Ukraine.

There is a list attached here for joshua:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/04/27/13-commercial-sponsors-helping-anthony-joshua-cash-success/

Ok Joshua has some sponsors (under armour being a big one) but without having some sort of at least ball park figure for what him and other boxers are making I don't think we can say Floyd is under paid/avoided by sponsors because he's black and a criminal. Boxers just don't seem to be pulling in big numbers from sponsors the way other sports stars do, soccer, basketball, tennis and golf usually fill out the top sponsored athletes.

If we had some sort of list of other top boxers blowing Floyd away with sponsorship we could probably look into it but we just have no numbers to go off.

• Advertisement

Ok Joshua has some sponsors (under armour being a big one) but without having some sort of at least ball park figure for what him and other boxers are making I don't think we can say Floyd is under paid/avoided by sponsors because he's black and a criminal. Boxers just don't seem to be pulling in big numbers from sponsors the way other sports stars do, soccer, basketball, tennis and golf usually fill out the top sponsored athletes.

If we had some sort of list of other top boxers blowing Floyd away with sponsorship we could probably look into it but we just have no numbers to go off.

My thinking would be its mainly the best sports star in each sport gets the big deals, Rory Mclroy and Tiger in Golf, in Basketball its Lebron and Steph Curry, in MMA it's Conor Mcg, in Soccer its Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. They all have big deals and you could probably tell me which brand each is with. Floyd was boxings biggest star for years and yet had no big brand sponsoring him. GGG was sponsored by Apple (Now he's with Samsung) and he had a Nike deal too. I'm not sure exactly how much money he was on, but for boxing's biggest star to be ignored by all of the big corporations says a lot.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/15198607/gennady-golovkin-lands-multi-year-endorsement-deal-jordan-brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

PLOPS can you tell me all the black athletes that lost or have no sponsorship deals please? You have Floyd so far even though he had Sponsorship throughout his career?

PLOPS can you tell me all the black athletes that lost or have no sponsorship deals please? You have Floyd so far even though he had Sponsorship throughout his career?

Too much effort, have a look yourself. i actually gave a list already. Mike Tyson for one.

Edit, see attached list. All the Black sports stars on this list will have no sponsors of note.

https://www.ranker.com/list/athletes-charged-with-domestic-violence/people-in-sports

The first white woman on the list had a film made about her and exonerated her.
    Wonder in 20 years one be made for Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This discussion reminds of the brilliant Dave Chappelle Racial Draft skit. Mixed race celebrities getting claimed by one side or another. Tiger Woods gets picked by the black people and loses all his endorsements :pac:

to be honest I didn't really plan to get into an argument about this. I wasn't making racist remarks, i was mearly commenting that a Black athlete with a criminal athlete has no marketing power in america a la Mayweather and Jon Jones. a white athlete who commits a crime can sometime get a second chance. look at the list i posted earlier, nearly 90% of the athletes are black. Now i'd say if they wanted to even that list out with a black white ratio they could have, but they chose not to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Too much effort, have a look yourself. i actually gave a list already. Mike Tyson for one.

Edit, see attached list. All the Black sports stars on this list will have no sponsors of note.

https://www.ranker.com/list/athletes-charged-with-domestic-violence/people-in-sports

The first white woman on the list had a film made about her and exonerated her.
    Wonder in 20 years one be made for Floyd.

From a sponsors point of view domestic violence is one of the worst crimes going, right up there with murder and rape, and Floyd has a history of it over time too. From what I remember it was one of his kids who called the police on him for what he was doing in one of the cases.

I don't know if there are cases of white athletes who have committed domestic violence and not lost sponsorship, if there were that'd back up your argument of race being involved.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    From a sponsors point of view domestic violence is one of the worst crimes going, right up there with murder and rape, and Floyd has a history of it over time too. From what I remember it was one of his kids who called the police on him for what he was doing in one of the cases.

I don't know if there are cases of white athletes who have committed domestic violence and not lost sponsorship, if there were that'd back up your argument of race being involved.

Cristiano Ronaldo seems to be doing ok after being accused of Rape.
    Now, Kobe Bryant was accused of rape and was dropped from Mcdonalds straight away and never regained them as a sponsor. Jon Jones was dropped because of the incident with Cormier in the lobby of the hotel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has Ronaldo been formally accused or even charged by the police?

I know Kobe was arrested over it quickly after the incident was meant to have happened.

CatFromHue wrote:
    I know Kobe was arrested over it quickly after the incident was meant to have happened.

CatFromHue wrote:
    Has Ronaldo been formally accused or even charged by the police?

Both have never been prosecuted both paid hush moneny, one lost sponsors. Guess which one

Yeah but there's a lot more to the case than just saying he was never prosecuted, he was arrested and charged but the accuser refused to testify in court. Bryant's defense team had been publicly attacking her before the trial was meant to start.

I don't know the full ins and outs of Ronaldo's case but he hasn't even been arrested in relation to the allegations yet.

They're two different things, as it stands anyway.

Also Bryant got back a lot of his sponsors afterwards too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks a reminder that this is the McGregor thread on the MMA forum..kindly get back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hearing he had the second sprog last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Hearing he had the second sprog last night
    Fair play to him for sparing Dee this time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Anthony Joshua is a black drug dealer and he has sponsors. Myth. Busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I just read an interview with Bec Rawlings and she said Conor has given her his personal McGregor Fast regiment to use as they have become friends. He contacted her after she fought in the bare knuckle promotion. Very nice of him to help out a struggling fighter like that.

Anthony Joshua is a black drug dealer and he has sponsors. Myth. Busted.

OK, number 1 he's English and not American! (See my Original point)
    and Number 2. They have done everything in their power to make him look 'Johnny Clean cut' to protect his brand.

But I do agree, he is a scum bag at heart and the Mr Nice Guy gimmick he has going on is bull ****. He was a drug dealer.

Thats my last input on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

OK, number 1 he's English and not American! (See my Original point)
    and Number 2. They have done everything in their power to make him look 'Johnny Clean cut' to protect his brand.

But I do agree, he is a scum bag at heart and the Mr Nice Guy gimmick he has going on is bull ****. He was a drug dealer.

Thats my last input on this.

I have known a good few drug dealers who were very nice. Not sure if AJ was but he is a very likable guy so it seems a safe bet he was likable back then too.

Rory28 wrote: »
    I have known a good few drug dealers who were very nice. Not sure if AJ was but he is a very likable guy so it seems a safe bet he was likable back then too.

salt of the earth drug dealers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

salt of the earth drug dealers:rolleyes:

They are just people. It is not that surprising. Now in saying that I have never met a heroin dealer. They could be a different breed in fairness.

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »
    They are just people. It is not that surprising. Now in saying that I have never met a heroin dealer. They could be a different breed in fairness.

Don't pay your drug dealer and see how nice he is.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement