Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

cliggg wrote: »
    I just read an interview with Bec Rawlings and she said Conor has given her his personal McGregor Fast regiment to use as they have become friends. He contacted her after she fought in the bare knuckle promotion. Very nice of him to help out a struggling fighter like that.

So we can expect her to be dead on her feet after six minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Still Ill wrote: »
    So we can expect her to be dead on her feet after six minutes?

Can he actually get over this issue though? is it his years of supposed partying hard that has damaged his cardio?
    Sugar Ray Leonard and Duran were known for hitting the Coke hard and they had decent stamina.

Its a flaw either way, he's put in the miles on the road and on the bike and he still goes flat 10 minutes in. He fell over the line in the second Diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

PLOPS wrote: »
    Don't pay your drug dealer and see how nice he is.:pac:

That would make me a thief and then neither of us are nice.

Can he actually get over this issue though? is it his years of supposed partying hard that has damaged his cardio?
    Sugar Ray Leonard and Duran were known for hitting the Coke hard and they had decent stamina.

Its a flaw either way, he's put in the miles on the road and on the bike and he still goes flat 10 minutes in. He fell over the line in the second Diaz fight.

It does not look like it. He consistently gasses and with the resources he has available it would stand to reason he has tried to remedy it. It could be his fighting style as Rogan suggests but Max and Tony both put out more volume and can last the later rounds. It is painful to watch when he starts losing the energy.

Rory28 wrote: »
    It does not look like it. He consistently gasses and with the resources he has available it would stand to reason he has tried to remedy it. It could be his fighting style as Rogan suggests but Max and Tony both put out more volume and can last the later rounds. It is painful to watch when he starts losing the energy.

I think he's seen his better days, look at Frampton 2 weeks ago against Warrington, looked completely shot. It wasn't his tactics or game plan, his legs weren't there. You'd have to wonder what the 2 Diaz fights took out of him and the Khabib fight also, the Mayweather fight was a tough one on his body. Next time he enters the Octagon it'll be interesting to see if he still has it, no matter who he is fighting.

I would hate to see him go down the BJ Penn route and get lumped around by guys that are levels below him at his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Rory28 wrote: »

Its not his fighting style (which isn't even explosive so dont get why say that, perhaps because joe rogan said it in diaz 2 fight) Its mostly genetics and lack of peds. Very few people have the ability to maintain high volume output naturally regardless of how much training they put in.

Microdosing is an issue now though, people can cheat with zero chance of getting caught and certain recent fights show proof of this imo. Its coming up over and over again, khabibs trainer was talking about it, gsp + more. You're likely going to see alot more 5 round wars where nobody appears to get tired which were very common pre usada, along with comebacks of old school fighters you thought were done and dusted, their 'experience' pre usada will come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

OK, number 1 he's English and not American! (See my Original point)
    and Number 2. They have done everything in their power to make him look 'Johnny Clean cut' to protect his brand.

But I do agree, he is a scum bag at heart and the Mr Nice Guy gimmick he has going on is bull ****. He was a drug dealer.

Thats my last input on this.

I’m not one bit surprised that you moved the goal posts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Axwell wrote: »
    Folks a reminder that this is the McGregor thread on the MMA forum..kindly get back on topic

Which part wasn't clear? Yellows handed out..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's obviously silly to talk about how he trains from just looking at his youtube vids.....but i'm a silly man :)

When he's out cycling he doesn't seem to have a high cadence, which would be pretty good cardio training, he just seems to be cruising along. The same with when he was on the rowing machine, his technique was awful and he didn't seem to be working that hard on it.

So from looking at what he does training that way it doesn't look like he's actively trying that hard to improve his cardio.

Others with a more sports science background might be able to delve deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

As much as ive always disliked the man its only since the khabib loss im realising how much he will be missed in the octogan. Waiting for the spectacle of his fights wether you wanted him to win or lose was incredible.
    I thought his ego would subdue after Diaz loss and he would turn a new leaf but he didnt change his tune and i thought the khabib v conor presser was absolutely disgusting on conors part, he let the mask slip and the scummer came out.
    He doesnt even need to talk the trash his fans will follow him wether hes mute or loudspeaker at this stage of his career.
    I feel he is not past his best physically but more sadly mentally falling apart maybe more so in my opinion and ive always put it down to who he has surrounded himself with.
    I have sympathy for him in that manner as alot of us have made same mistakes with hanging around wrong crowd for it to all blow up and then only realise when its too late that a major life restart is needed. He is lucky to still have a ufc contract after recent events and i hope he takes a step back and shut everyone out and get back to basics but either way im going to savour his remaining fights a bit more than usual as i fear he only has 2 fights tops left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Heard twas a young girl Dee had, anyone know they called her? Does she have an Instagram page yet.

Notice hes really pushing the SBG Nass on his posts, wonder has he actually fallen out with Kavangh. Calling it the McGregor institute and stuff, maybe cryptic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Heard twas a young girl Dee had, anyone know they called her? Does she have an Instagram page yet.

Notice hes really pushing the SBG Nass on his posts, wonder has he actually fallen out with Kavangh. Calling it the McGregor institute and stuff, maybe cryptic.

kavanagh the only level headed person in his circle and hes distancing himslef from him. Money aside i fear for his future he isnt making the right decisions and his ego just wants yes men around.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I think he has two/three fights left in him and then he will retire, if Khabib rematch is next then that’ll be the last, as much as I’d like to see him beat khabib it’s not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Honestly lads if Dee was my missus I'd have about 20 kids with her by now. Sexy bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Peter Queally has a fight coming up. So I imagine he's helping him prepare and also helping promoting the new gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Anyone hear of an injury? Have it on good authority he was out at the clinic in Santry since Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Blud wrote: »
    Anyone hear of an injury? Have it on good authority he was out at the clinic in Santry since Christmas.

Ya saw it on WhatsApp. Nothing serious. Just a bruised ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Peter Queally has a fight coming up. So I imagine he's helping him prepare and also helping promoting the new gym.

Conor is part owner too, so there's that.

Blud wrote: »

Injuries only affect you when you need to fight and he doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon. Also, he loves to provoke fighters who pull out because of injury (Aldo, RDA). Be interesting if he mentions he can't fight because of Injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Advertisement

Back to fighting lads that are smaller than him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That would look hillarious. Flyod looked massive in the ring, imagine how much bigger McG would look.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

People do realise he's taking the piss out of Floyd with that Tenshin stuff right?

Poor Tenshin. He was apparently a hot prospect but now he is a punching bag for a MayMac rematch. I dont want to see any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's taking the p*ss but the funny thing is I can see Tenshin jumping all over it , UFC would not allow it happen,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its a piss take, he's about 40 pounds heavier than him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

BigMo1 wrote: »
    People do realise he's taking the piss out of Floyd with that Tenshin stuff right?

Floyd is 42 next month and is retired from pro sports so he can do what he wants.

McGregor is 30 and in theory in his prime, or was when he fought Floyd.

It's a bit embarrassing for him to keep going on about Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

McGregors finished imo, too much hard partying, ego and miles on the clock. Yes he's 30 but he has had a lot of hard fights which adds years to your body, he also hasn't exactly lived clean which will only worsen his stamina problems. With all the other distractions i'd question if the motivation is really there anymore, seems Kavanagh is trying to distance himself from him perhaps he knows the game is up at this stage.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Floyd is 42 next month and is retired from pro sports so he can do what he wants.

McGregor is 30 and in theory in his prime, or was when he fought Floyd.

It's a bit embarrassing for him to keep going on about Floyd.

He Knows its a fight that makes him easy money, I dont think it will sell half as well as the first time though. People genuinely were convinced he could win and going to KO Floyd. The reality was he never look like a boxer in the ring that night. He looked like a fish out of water, If anything Tenshin looked like he could be a better boxer than CMG last week, but he was tiny. Even when Mcgregor was throwing punches that night it looked predictable and slow, which is the complete opposite when he's in MMA. His punches had zero power in them. I'm actually surprised he never chased the Pauly Mallanagi fight.

He wants easy fights and Money now. Remember all the crap "Never neglect your training" Well he has a Whiskey Business and owns the Black Forge so I'd say he wouldn't know what its like to train hard for one week solid nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

McGregors finished imo, too much hard partying, ego and miles on the clock. Yes he's 30 but he has had a lot of hard fights which adds years to your body, he also hasn't exactly lived clean which will only worsen his stamina problems. With all the other distractions i'd question if the motivation is really there anymore, seems Kavanagh is trying to distance himself from him perhaps he knows the game is up at this stage.

What hard fights? He had Diaz 2, fair enough. Mayweather wasn't exactly a war but he did get hit by some hard shots so fair enough. Khabib was mostly wrestling which isn't as bad as taking a lot of heavy shots to the head so I wouldn't count that as decreasing his longevity. Most of his fights have ended pretty quick and he hasn't taken much damage. Most fighters in the UFC with as many fights as him have taken a shít load more damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement