Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

What hard fights? He had Diaz 2, fair enough. Mayweather wasn't exactly a war but he did get hit by some hard shots so fair enough. Khabib was mostly wrestling which isn't as bad as taking a lot of heavy shots to the head so I wouldn't count that as decreasing his longevity. Most of his fights have ended pretty quick and he hasn't taken much damage. Most fighters in the UFC with as many fights as him have taken a shít load more damage.

While I agree some fighters have been in more wars than him, Round 2 Khabib was a very hard round on his head and he took very heavy shots. Khabib standing over him and trying to punch him through to China.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Also he can't call himself the champ champ anymore since you know, he lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

BigMo1 wrote: »
    People do realise he's taking the piss out of Floyd with that Tenshin stuff right?

The sad thing is its can easily be taken seriously. I wouldn't put it past him to want this. He's all about the "money fights" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Tenshin's response

"Dear Mr. McGregor. Thank you very much for remembering my name. I’m honored that you would even consider fighting me.

58kg, kickboxing rules would probably get us in the ring sometime in the near future ��

I will fight my RISE world GP this year so please watch your diet and wait for me!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsVqA9Plcd2/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cliggg wrote: »
    Tenshin's response

"Dear Mr. McGregor. Thank you very much for remembering my name. I’m honored that you would even consider fighting me.

58kg, kickboxing rules would probably get us in the ring sometime in the near future ��

I will fight my RISE world GP this year so please watch your diet and wait for me!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsVqA9Plcd2/

58KG is about 129lbs. McGregor would have to cut off one of his arms to make that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

58KG is about 129lbs. McGregor would have to cut off one of his arms to make that.

Got to love how Tenshin is trolling a troll. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PLOPS wrote: »
    While I agree some fighters have been in more wars than him, Round 2 Khabib was a very hard round on his head and he took very heavy shots. Khabib standing over him and trying to punch him through to China.

Most of those shots were wild and he punched the canvas a few times. He didn't take much damage there.

He's taken very little damage in his career. Wasn't khabib the first one to drop him in the UFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

rob316 wrote: »
    Most of those shots were wild and he punched the canvas a few times. He didn't take much damage there.

He's taken very little damage in his career. Wasn't khabib the first one to drop him in the UFC?

Watched that fight back the other day.....funny watching Khabibs reaction when he landed that shot, was like a combination of being startled he landed the shot and the expectancy of something coming back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

McGregors finished imo, too much hard partying, ego and miles on the clock. Yes he's 30 but he has had a lot of hard fights which adds years to your body, he also hasn't exactly lived clean which will only worsen his stamina problems. With all the other distractions i'd question if the motivation is really there anymore, seems Kavanagh is trying to distance himself from him perhaps he knows the game is up at this stage.

You must have been watching different fights to the rest of us.

Most of those did **** all damage, Conor did well to minimise damage there to be fair to him. He knew he wasn't getting up easily so rode it out.

rob316 wrote: »

I thought Holloway or Siver did similar.
    No one has put him on his arse properly yet, although Khabib was very close I thought. Recovery was fantastic for that as well, straight back up and threw a knee as Khabib came rushing in.

He'll never win another 5 round fight in the ufc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

A fight that goes five rounds, or a five round fight? He will likely never fight a fight that isn't five rounds, so you're thinking he will never win another fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He'll never win another 5 round fight in the ufc..

He wins his next one imo

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

I do love the Mcgregor is finished comments, or he won’t win a 5 rounder. Like him or not the guy is super talented and has taken mma to another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He's living on past reputation these days. He will never be a world champion again imo

He may have rode a few punches but he still took a good few heavy shots. Chad landed some serious elbows on him, his head was literally bouncing off the canvas. He was very lucky to survive that fight, while he did win it well in the end.

Thanks for that, you added absolutely nothing to explain why you think he's not finished. Just the usual 'taken mma to another level'. That's not going to get him Through a rematch with Khabib or Holloway.

He may have rode a few punches but he still took a good few heavy shots. Chad landed some serious elbows on him, his head was literally bouncing off the canvas. He was very lucky to survive that fight, while he did win it well in the end.

Thanks for that, you added absolutely nothing to explain why you think he's not finished. Just the usual 'taken mma to another level'. That's not going to get him Through a rematch with Khabib or Holloway.

Why I think he’s not finished?

1) Mcgregor is evolving as a fighter, isn’t 1 dimensional like Most are.
    2) he has age on his side- and if he gets his head back in the game I think he has another 5 good fights ahead of him.
    3) He will stop Max if they fight, I’ve seen nothing from max that will change my opinion on that. Max has improved but not enough to stop a firing Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I know yer only trying to wind people up, but what are ye basing the "he's finished" on. Is it the fight against the undefeated monster wrestler khabib, cos the fight before that was one of the best mma performances of all time.

Hes what, 30 years old you'd swear he was a 40 year old after being in war after war getting KO'd a lot. ****ing hell yer gas!

Max would slap the sh1t out of him in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He arguably and imo lost to Diaz the 2nd time, so he's lost 3 out of the last 4. Stats say 2 but we all know a Diaz 3 had to be left open. Personally I don't care anymore who he fights, needs to prove himself worthy of a title shot again. And I don't think he is or will be, unless he drops weight. Khabib, Ferguson, Diaz, and probably Holloway all ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hoboo wrote: »
    He arguably and imo lost to Diaz the 2nd time, so he's lost 3 out of the last 4. Stats say 2 but we all know a Diaz 3 had to be left open. Personally I don't care anymore who he fights, needs to prove himself worthy of a title shot again. And I don't think he is or will be, unless he drops weight. Khabib, Ferguson, Diaz, and probably Holloway all ahead.

Probably the stupidest post on this thread and that says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Now go play with Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

One time I heard a wise man say "The post usually reflects the poster" but I am not sure if that is true or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hoboo wrote: »
    He arguably and imo lost to Diaz the 2nd time, so he's lost 3 out of the last 4. Stats say 2 but we all know a Diaz 3 had to be left open.
    Only people who don't consider (or understand) round scoring. McGregor clearly won 1, 2 and 4. Diaz clearly won 3 and 5.
    It was a close fight, but it was also a very clear and easy fight to score.

Who do you think fixed he result? The judges? Nate?

Mellor wrote: »
    Only people who don't consider (or understand) round scoring. McGregor clearly won 1, 2 and 4. Diaz clearly won 3 and 5.
    It was a close fight, but it was also a very clear and easy fight to score.

Who do you think fixed he result? The judges? Nate?

I always agreed with that scoring, but Round 3 could have easily been a 10-8 to Diaz. Also, CMcG ran for a good portion of the round, just in case you thought it wasn't enough of a beating to justify a 10-8 but the timidity he showed meant IMO it was a clear 10-8. That fight was close and a draw would have been fair. Maybe you could tip the scales for a 10-8 for McG in Round 1. It was a 50 50 fight though and McG being the A-side got the nod.

He could obviously keep fighting and winning but can he fight the top lightweight and WWs? Physically he isn't the same, his knee clearly has taken away that part of his game. look when he fought Holloway and he was throwing switch kicks and Round house kicks, they are gone from his game. How flat footed was he versus Khabib? One thing I've learned with having a knee injury myself is that it never gets better, even with the best surgeons and Physios it will never recover. He can try all his magic potions and stem cell injections, but it never will perfect. Look at what happened him after the Holloway fight, his knee was constantly giving him trouble in training, to the point were he was panicking when he heard noises from it (Scene in the Documentary). You become obsessed trying to remember what it's like to have a perfect knee, you worry when you feel a pain but pretend its not as bad as it was. I know he's only 30 but he's not living a clean life and that also the part that will stop him getting back to top form, he thought going through the Cupping Technique was going to remove all the Toxins from his body? He doesn't train the way he used to, to say he's evolving is a joke. It's game over IMO.

I always agreed with that scoring, but Round 3 could have easily been a 10-8 to Diaz. Also, CMcG ran for a good portion of the round, just in case you thought it wasn't enough of a beating to justify a 10-8 but the timidity he showed meant IMO it was a clear 10-8. That fight was close and a draw would have been fair. Maybe you could tip the scales for a 10-8 for McG in Round 1. It was a 50 50 fight though and McG being the A-side got the nod.

He could obviously keep fighting and winning but can he fight the top lightweight and WWs? Physically he isn't the same, his knee clearly has taken away that part of his game. look when he fought Holloway and he was throwing switch kicks and Round house kicks, they are gone from his game. How flat footed was he versus Khabib? One thing I've learned with having a knee injury myself is that it never gets better, even with the best surgeons and Physios it will never recover. He can try all his magic potions and stem cell injections, but it never will perfect. Look at what happened him after the Holloway fight, his knee was constantly giving him trouble in training, to the point were he was panicking when he heard noises from it (Scene in the Documentary). You become obsessed trying to remember what it's like to have a perfect knee, you worry when you feel a pain but pretend its not as bad as it was. I know he's only 30 but he's not living a clean life and that also the part that will stop him getting back to top form, he thought going through the Cupping Technique was going to remove all the Toxins from his body? He doesn't train the way he used to, to say he's evolving is a joke. It's game over IMO.

He tore his ACL against Holloway and still nullified him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Max was like 12 at the time.

So what? What does that even got to do with what i wrote?
    For one round Max was nullified, Max hadn't realised how hurt McGs knee was. What McG did to survive and win that fight is unreal, but you can't say that the knee injury hasn't reared its head in every fight since.

For one round, Max hadn't realised how hurt McGs knee was. What McG did to survive and win that fight is unreal, but you can't say that the knee injury hasn't reared its head in every fight since.

How his movement is still fluid. I think everyone is forgetting the lay off Conor has against Khabib. Conor has been in gym steadily since Khabib and that’s first time in a long time I’ve seen him steady outside camp. I’d love to see him fight Max. I believe he beats him convincing

How his movement is still fluid. I think everyone is forgetting the lay off Conor has against Khabib. Conor has been in gym steadily since Khabib and that’s first time in a long time I’ve seen him steady outside camp. I’d love to see him fight Max. I believe he beats him convincing

I'm not saying he's a crippled old man, but he has lost what he had when he was 25. Lets see if he can come back, we are all just guessing.
    The reality is I'm basing my opinion on his last fight, and he clearly wasn't the same. You are basing it on the hope he can recreate what he did 5 years ago. which one of us is clutching at straws?

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he's a crippled old man, but he has lost what he had when he was 25. Lets see if he can come back, we are all just guessing.
    The reality is I'm basing my opinion on his last fight, and he clearly wasn't the same. You are basing it on the hope he can recreate what he did 5 years ago. which one of us is clutching at straws?

5 year ago? When was the Eddie fight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement