Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Max was like 12 at the time.

Haha, I enjoyed this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

PLOPS wrote: »
    I always agreed with that scoring, but Round 3 could have easily been a 10-8 to Diaz. Also, CMcG ran for a good portion of the round, just in case you thought it wasn't enough of a beating to justify a 10-8 but the timidity he showed meant IMO it was a clear 10-8. That fight was close and a draw would have been fair. Maybe you could tip the scales for a 10-8 for McG in Round 1. It was a 50 50 fight though and McG being the A-side got the nod.
    There are criteria for scoring a 10-8. Round 3 didn't get close tbh. If somebody's criteria for a 10-8 is that loose, then rd 1 is a 10-8 with the knockdowns.
    Nobody said scored it like that during the fight. The 10-8 thing is retrospective scoring and even with a 10-8 in rd3 McGregor still doesn't lose (it's be a draw). So the idea he lost holds no water.
    He could obviously keep fighting and winning but can he fight the top lightweight and WWs? Physically he isn't the same, his knee clearly has taken away that part of his game. look when he fought Holloway and he was throwing switch kicks and Round house kicks, they are gone from his game. How flat footed was he versus Khabib?
    He was still throwing switch kicks and spinning kicks against Brandao, Porrier, Siver. He dropped them for other reasons imo.
    One thing I've learned with having a knee injury myself is that it never gets better, even with the best surgeons and Physios it will never recover.
    I've torn ligaments in my knee also. It's not 100% now. But I didn't fly out to top surgeons in the US, so I'd be hesitant to compare my recovery to every knee injury ever. Generally, yeah, knees are a bitch.

But we can't write off every fighter whose had a knee injury. McGregor went on to win oth titles after his knee injury.
    Khabib also injured his knee more than once and had to pull out of a couple of fights with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

5 year ago? When was the Eddie fight?

How many kicks did he throw in that fight? He was just streets above him in the standup he was able to dominate him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I always agreed with that scoring, but Round 3 could have easily been a 10-8 to Diaz. Also, CMcG ran for a good portion of the round, just in case you thought it wasn't enough of a beating to justify a 10-8 but the timidity he showed meant IMO it was a clear 10-8. That fight was close and a draw would have been fair. Maybe you could tip the scales for a 10-8 for McG in Round 1. It was a 50 50 fight though and McG being the A-side got the nod.

McGregor dropped Diaz twice in the first round. If the third round was a dominant enough performance to justify a 10-8, then so was the first round. In fact, I think the first round is more deserving of a 10-8 than the third.
    He could obviously keep fighting and winning but can he fight the top lightweight and WWs? Physically he isn't the same, his knee clearly has taken away that part of his game. look when he fought Holloway and he was throwing switch kicks and Round house kicks, they are gone from his game. How flat footed was he versus Khabib? One thing I've learned with having a knee injury myself is that it never gets better, even with the best surgeons and Physios it will never recover. He can try all his magic potions and stem cell injections, but it never will perfect. Look at what happened him after the Holloway fight, his knee was constantly giving him trouble in training, to the point were he was panicking when he heard noises from it (Scene in the Documentary). You become obsessed trying to remember what it's like to have a perfect knee, you worry when you feel a pain but pretend its not as bad as it was. I know he's only 30 but he's not living a clean life and that also the part that will stop him getting back to top form, he thought going through the Cupping Technique was going to remove all the Toxins from his body? He doesn't train the way he used to, to say he's evolving is a joke. It's game over IMO.

He was flat footed against Khabib because he just spent 2 hard rounds grabbling with the best grabbler in the division and managed to do pretty damn well against him too. He stopped all that capoeira stuff because it never really worked and just sapped his energy.

Mellor wrote: »
    There are criteria for scoring a 10-8. Round 3 didn't get close tbh. If somebody's criteria for a 10-8 is that loose, then rd 1 is a 10-8 with the knockdowns.
    Nobody said scored it like that during the fight. The 10-8 thing is retrospective scoring and even with a 10-8 in rd3 McGregor still doesn't lose (it's be a draw). So the idea he lost holds no water.

I clearly say Mcg Won the fight based on scoring rounds, but if one round was a 10-8 it was a draw.
    He was still throwing switch kicks and spinning kicks against Brandao, Porrier, Siver. He dropped them for other reasons imo.
    yeah true he did actually.

I've torn ligaments in my knee also. It's not 100% now. But I didn't fly out to top surgeons in the US, so I'd be hesitant to compare my recovery to every knee injury ever. Generally, yeah, knees are a bitch.

But we can't write off every fighter whose had a knee injury. McGregor went on to win oth titles after his knee injury.
    Khabib also injured his knee more than once and had to pull out of a couple of fights with it.

I think both of his ACLs are gone kinda a miracle he got back. I agree not all knee injuries are the same but the signs are there for Mcg that his knee is giving him problems now.

• Advertisement

McGregor dropped Diaz twice in the first round. If the third round was a dominant enough performance to justify a 10-8, then so was the first round. In fact, I think the first round is more deserving of a 10-8 than the third.

He was flat footed against Khabib because he just spent 2 hard rounds grabbling with the best grabbler in the division and managed to do pretty damn well against him too. He stopped all that capoeira stuff because it never really worked and just sapped his energy.

I clearly say round 1 could have been a 10-8 Mcg and he won the fight, but as a whole the fight was a 50 50.

He was flat footed from the start, apparently he doesn't even run anymore. says a lot if that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

It's a bit mad we're still discussing that Diaz decision, that fight will be 3 years ago in August. As somebody above pointed out, Rd1 is more of a 10-8 than Rd3 due to the knockdowns. Personally, I don't think either is a 10-8 round and the decision was perfect.

On Conor's future, I think he needs a fight against someone who will stand with him. Max is a brilliant fight and is very close to 50/50 for me. Khabib beats him 9 out of 10 times in a rematch.

I clearly say round 1 could have been a 10-8 Mcg and he won the fight, but as a whole the fight was a 50 50.
    I'm aware you agreed with the McG win. I'm just reinforcing that scoring by rounds is the only way to score a fight. As I said people who actually think Diaz won don't appear to get that.

Hopefully there's enough doubt about McGregor now that maybe he'll reasonable odds for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Hopefully there's enough doubt about McGregor now that maybe he'll reasonable odds for once.

Remember the first Diaz fight? Diaz was 12/1 to win that fight and I was stood outside a bookies with 50 euro in my hand. I regret it to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Rory28 wrote: »
    Remember the first Diaz fight? Diaz was 12/1 to win that fight and I was stood outside a bookies with 50 euro in my hand. I regret it to this day.

Wow, €50 in your hand about to put the bet on, and you didnt?

Didn't even put on €20, or even €10.

That's a bigtime bottle job alright!

• Advertisement

12/1? That doesn't sound right.
    Pretty sure the biggest underdogs to win in the UFC were Serra and Holm. Who were both less than 8/1.

Diaz was around 5/2 I think.
    It's probably mentioned in the betting thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Pretty sure the biggest underdogs to win in the UFC were Serra and Holm. Who were both less than 8/1.

He was +340 underdog In the states, so your about right between 5/2-7/2, nowhwre near 12/1 anyway.

Remember it as clear as day. Ladbrokes in the parkway shopping centre in Limerick. 12 to poxy 1. The shame still follows me. The worst I had tho was 205. Picked Romero, JJ, Woodley and Mcgregor. I stopped betting on fight cards after 205.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I think Mc Gregors main problem (which Ironically is his biggest asset) is he cant do 3rd build up fights anymore or short notice fights, hes too big and popular for his own good, always has to be a once a year 5rd super fight now with loads of build up and press, that isnt going to always end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Remember it as clear as day. Ladbrokes in the parkway shopping centre in Limerick. 12 to poxy 1. The shame still follows me. The worst I had tho was 205. Picked Romero, JJ, Woodley and Mcgregor. I stopped betting on fight cards after 205.

He wasnt 12/1. I dont think I've ever seen a UFC fighter at 12/1.

Remember it as clear as day. Ladbrokes in the parkway shopping centre in Limerick. 12 to poxy 1. The shame still follows me.
    I don't think you are lying. But you might have read it wrong, or maybe they wrote it wrong on the board.
    He couldn't have been 12/1 if he was 3/1 everywhere else. He wasn't even that high to win by sub.

I don't think you are lying. But you might have read it wrong, or maybe they wrote it wrong on the board.
    He couldn't have been 12/1 if he was 3/1 everywhere else. He wasn't even that high to win by sub.

I remember it as I was doing a CompTIA net+ course in the building beside it. Right in the window in massive red letters. There is no reason for me to make this up lads. Believe it or dont.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Holly Holm was 10/1 (trying to get a screenshot of the bet before you say "prove it")

He threw plenty of kicks 8 months earlier against Diaz.

That he did, in the first 2 rounds? can't remember any kicks in 3-4-5 maybe he threw a few but he definitely hurt his leg and stopped throwing. Either way, you are making out i'm saying he can't kick at all anymore which i'm not saying, but he definitely can't do what he was doing at 25. MMA is way harder on your body than Boxing. I would say that most fighters who retire have lasting affects. I would say the only sport harder on the body is horse racing and those boys retire crippled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

They probably had a deal for new customers online only with a tenner max bet or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

he was not 12/1 to win

simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

markc91 wrote: »
    They probably had a deal for new customers online only with a tenner max bet or something

Yeah, there was loads of that about alright:

ndmcg.jpg

That he did, in the first 2 rounds? can't remember any kicks in 3-4-5 maybe he threw a few but he definitely hurt his leg and stopped throwing. Either way, you are making out i'm saying he can't kick at all anymore which i'm not saying, but he definitely can't do what he was doing at 25. MMA is way harder on your body than Boxing. I would say that most fighters who retire have lasting affects. I would say the only sport harder on the body is horse racing and those boys retire crippled.

He threw more kicks in round 4 than any other round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I presumed he stopped throwing so many kicks for cardio reasons after Diaz 1 and instead focused on becoming more efficient with his striking hence dismantling Diaz and Alvarez with punches and leg kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

On the sherbet of a Tuesday. Some lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

On the sherbet of a Tuesday. Some lad.

He must be. Unfortunately. When you're getting outwitted by Al Iaquinta in the replies then something is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It's not that strange for Conor really. Someone publicly said something about him that wasn't sycophantic therefore that someone is a rat.

He threw more kicks in round 4 than any other round.

OK, his knee must be fine then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Firaz had an article up that was titled "The blueprint to beating Conor McGregor".

not surprised at the response

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement