Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

ASOT wrote: »
    The game has compleatly passed by her one dimensional fighting she would be smashed up.

Also I'm not sure why this is in the McGregor thread if a mod wants to move to the general chat.

Either is Khabib against Ferguson but ya discussed here day and daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Either is Khabib against Ferguson but ya discussed here day and daily.

Rousey isn't one of Conors previous or next opponent's is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Rousey on her way back maybe. Wwe contract not being renewed

Really? What's the back story there? I thought she was highly regarded in those circles. Last I'd heard she was a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just got a WhatsApp message saying Rousey is coming back to fight McGregor in the first intergender fight in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ASOT wrote: »
    Just got a WhatsApp message saying Rousey is coming back to fight McGregor in the first intergender fight in the UFC.

Daily Mail have the scoop tomorrow.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    Really? What's the back story there? I thought she was highly regarded in those circles. Last I'd heard she was a huge hit.

Just spoke to someone who is well in the know, says talk of her coming back on a 3 fight deal.

Rousey isn't one of Conors previous or next opponent's is she?

Is khabib or Ferguson Mcgregor? no this is the Mcgregor thread as pointed out. Ronda was under same management and Producion as Conor same relevance.

Is khabib or Ferguson Mcgregor? no this is the Mcgregor thread as pointed out. Ronda was under same management and Producion as Conor same relevance.

Khabib McGregor n Ferguson are the top 3 in the men's ufc lightweight division. He fought Khabib a few months ago.

Rousey is a female WWE wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

MrStuffins wrote: »
    To be fair, he's got a point. MMA fans know Khabib but the general public still wouldn't know his name if he hadn't smushed McGregor. And the general public won't be tuning in to watch his next fight either.

Khabib v Ferguson is a big fight for fans of the sport....... but the casuals don't care about it!

Well, he doesn't really have a valid point.

I couldn't tell you **** about who the top tennis players or Formula 1 drivers are right now, however if they mentioned McGregor or he mentioned them I would probably be made aware of it.

Would that mean the only time they get attention is when Conor's name is said? Of course not.

<snip>

Mod: 1 week ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

<snip>

Mod: 1 week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Byebye

Chewing his jaws in the latest Instagram story? Deffintley dropping pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I just see Coach Kavanagh posted a cryptic video on Twitter with the date 2/3/19 McGregors next fight possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Calltocall wrote: »
    I just see Coach Kavanagh posted a cryptic video on Twitter with the date 2/3/19 McGregors next fight possibly?

lol thats jeff bridges in an ad for during the superbowl which is on 2/3/19

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

chips1234 wrote: »

Ah, I see, missed that :), i know ufc have a big night on 2nd march and made the leap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Calltocall wrote: »
    Ah, I see, missed that :), i know ufc have a big night on 2nd march and made the leap

its the american date system super bowl is on feb 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

chips1234 wrote: »

Heard from a whatsapp group I'm in that McGregor is going to be starting quarterback for the Rams at the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Heard from a whatsapp group I'm in that McGregor is going to be starting quarterback for the Rams at the Superbowl.

For their sake, I hope not!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The Nal wrote: »
    I think you may be overestimating. He co headlined 219. 380k PPV buys. Headlined 223. 350k PPV buys. Headlined 229 with McGregor. 2.4 million. Biggest UFC event ever.

Unless you're actually into the art of the sport hes boring to watch.
    This is due to McGregors ability to hype up a fight. It's why he got to where he did. Right from that very first press conference "60 g's baby!!" up to him talking his way into the circus with Mayweather. It's what he was best at. (Imagine if tennis, golf, or snooker did the same?)

But, this is an MMA forum. To suggest that Khabib 'only gets attention when he mentions McGregor' is simply not true. It may be true in general news or gossip pages but it's not true here and not true in the world of MMA, hence my comment. The guy has won 27 out of 27 fights. He won the first 26 without losing a singe round. If anyone finds him 'boring' then maybe this is not the sport for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Scotty # wrote: »
    The guy has won 27 out of 27 fights. He won the first 26 without losing a singe round. If anyone finds him 'boring' then maybe this is not the sport for them?

Tibau was absolutely robbed against him, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Screenshot from my Whatsapp today :eek:

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-25 at 12.02.37.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is due to McGregors ability to hype up a fight. It's why he got to where he did. Right from that very first press conference "60 g's baby!!" up to him talking his way into the circus with Mayweather. It's what he was best at. (Imagine if tennis, golf, or snooker did the same?)

His fighting style is also enjoyable to watch. He KO's people. 18 out of 25 fights. Compare that to Khabibs 8 out of 27. Only 2 in the UFC. Thats 2 KOs in 7 years.

No one wants to watch 25 minutes of wrestling or BJJ. Which is why the crowd always cheer when a fight goes from the mat to the feet.
    But, this is an MMA forum. To suggest that Khabib 'only gets attention when he mentions McGregor' is simply not true. It may be true in general news or gossip pages but it's not true here and not true in the world of MMA, hence my comment. The guy has won 27 out of 27 fights. He won the first 26 without losing a singe round. If anyone finds him 'boring' then maybe this is not the sport for them?

The sport doesn't exist without the "casuals". They're 95% of the audience. Its not the case that the sport might not be for them, its the case that the fight or fighter may not be for them.

Which is proven by the numbers when Conor or Lesnar fight. Dana isn't going to go head over heels to promote a guy like Khabib who does a 380k buyrate. A lot of that bumped due to the bus incident. They're pathetic numbers these days.

If McGregor fights twice in a year, in terms of revenue, its like the UFC putting on an extra 10 or so events per year.

The fact Khabib has won 27/27 is irrelevant. Its a spectator sport and people want to be entertained. Not see some tactical masterclass by some dull lad. Even if he is one of the greatest ever.

The "casuals" begrudgery stuff annoys me. Its like people looking down on music fans because they discovered a band after them. And thats coming from someone who has been watching UFC since the mid 90s,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Thanks for this. :-)

Genuinely lol'd at that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote: »
    The "casuals" begrudgery stuff annoys me. Its like people looking down on music fans because they discovered a band after them. And thats coming from someone who has been watching UFC since the mid 90s,
    Being a casual has nothing to do with how long you are watching UFC. Somebody could be a 20 year casual fan, or a fulltime* fan who got into the sport 2 years ago.

There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Only watching the few biggest event of the year. That's fine. The criticism of casuals comes about when they spill into the discussion oblivious to the fact MMA exists outside of those events. People who went on like Aldo was useless after watch UFC 194, or the people who seriously suggested Ronda would beat most guys at 135. The casuals become frustrating when they are oblivious to or in denial of their own casualness.

*I don't know what the proper opposite to casual is, fulltime mades sense as in work situation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

So what is "Coach Kavanagh" getting at here?
    99.97% of his life #jeffreydahmer was a solid guy. (17 murders over 12,609 days alive).

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1088227791789834240

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So what is "Coach Kavanagh" getting at here?

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1088227791789834240

Just his usual pseudo intellectual ****e to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement