Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

MMAbhoy wrote: »
    Hiya lads first post :-) Fascinated by all this - why is Kavanagh a coward mate ? Just interested why you think that

Hiya John.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

evil_seed wrote: »
    RE Jameson vs Bushmills, Catholics vs Protestants, Max vs Connor.... The Wire did it first

And got it wrong first too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

John Kavanagh is very sneaky most cowards are though

Have you ever met John ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Have you ever met John ?
    Some people just don't like him.

I doubt he loses any sleep over it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Steve wrote: »
    Folks, I've deleted some posts and removed the link to the published article because it's behind a paywall (Mods don't get paid nor can they claim expenses to investigate such articles).

As I said before, if it is reported on mainstream (Irish) media then discussion of that is fine.

Sorry to be pedantic, stuff behind a paywall is not readable by all so doesn't count.

Personally I'd love to see what was reported but can't without paying for it....

I read it,pretty much says everything that is public knowledge in the press, "sports star handed himself in for questioning,was released,rte investigating memo and could be fined for 20 million IF its true and spokes people for both parties have been asked for comment but nothing just yet"

The real criminal is the pay wall getting people to pay for info that's already public

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

Folks, I've deleted some posts and removed the link to the published article because it's behind a paywall (Mods don't get paid nor can they claim expenses to investigate such articles).

As I said before, if it is reported on mainstream (Irish) media then discussion of that is fine.

Sorry to be pedantic, stuff behind a paywall is not readable by all so doesn't count.

Personally I'd love to see what was reported but can't without paying for it....

you can register for free to get access to a certain number of articles so no need to pay to read that article.

also the Times and the Sunday Times publish "Ireland Editions" so could justifiably be considered part of Irish mainstream media.

changing the goalposts here methinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I can access the Irish site, not signing up to a foreign one just for this.

My position stands: link to an Irish mainstream news article here and it's fair to comment on the contents. Any speculation will be deleted.

Anything posted that could prejudice or in any way influence a legal action is not on.

I can access the Irish site, not signing up to a foreign one just for this.

My position stands: link to an Irish mainstream news article here and it's fair to comment on the contents. Any speculation will be deleted.

Anything posted that could prejudice or in any way influence a legal action is not on.

Can the link be reposted then? The Irish Times is Irish and mainstream?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Some people just don't like him.

I doubt he loses any sleep over it to be honest.

Of course. Just 'coward' and 'sneak' would be strange accusations to make about someone without ever meeting them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can the link be reposted then? The Irish Times is Irish and mainstream?

The link wasn't to the Irish times - it was to the UK times.

If you have an Irish times link, please post it. please pm it to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you have an Irish times link, please post it. :)

If there is nobody named in the article and posting it in this thread, that would insinuate it's the subject of the thread that is the anonymous person in the article. That could lead to trouble :)

Good point BB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If there is nobody named in the article and posting it in this thread, that would insinuate it's the subject of the thread that is the anonymous person in the article. That could lead to trouble :)

In fairness, this whole situation is ridiculous. There isn't a person in this thread that does not know the name of no named person... whatever their opinion on the story is.

Boards need to cover themselves by not printing any names, but legally linking to an article that may insinuate who it is seems beyond the realm of their responsibility.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you have an Irish times link, please post it. please pm it to me :)

As boom_bap pointed out it probably shouldn't be posted any way as it doesn't name any one (I haven't read the full story either so maybe it does towards the end) but why does it have to be an Irish newspaper? The Times UK is a large puplication that is about at least as reputable as the Irish newspapers.

As boom_bap pointed out it probably shouldn't be posted any way as it doesn't name any one (I haven't read the full story either so maybe it does towards the end) but why does it have to be an Irish newspaper? The Times UK is a large puplication that is about at least as reputable as the Irish newspapers.

Different jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Different jurisdiction

It's also released and sold here. The article contained inaccuracies though.

I haven't read the article in question as it's behind a paywall. I don't doubt the reputation of the newspaper at all, even though it's in a different country. I simply cannot moderate discussion on something that I can't see.

I am saying an 'Irish' publication because they are subject to Irish laws and that is purely to protect boards.ie's position.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JJayoo wrote: »
    That's an old quote, JK prob read it and thought oh this sounds smart I will tweet it and people will think I'm smart.

or maybe he tweeted it so people would read it and be reminded how stats can be manipulated.

we're in the era of massive amounts of data manipulation so i don't see why his tweet is getting such stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

CatFromHue wrote: »
    or maybe he tweeted it so people would read it and be reminded how stats can be manipulated.

we're in the era of massive amounts of data manipulation so i don't see why his tweet is getting such stick.

I think its because John talks out both sides of his mouth. He goes on about being a 'Martial Artist', yet has sat by and allowed the most outrageous carry on. It became quiet clear he was in it for the ride, he loved the junkets to New York and Vegas and all the carry on that went with it. Now he wants the quiet life and has been critical of CMg lately, so people see it as a "oh Fucck off John and your quotes" moment. He cashed in as hard as he could, wrote a book which must have taken all of 2 weeks to write and opened his gyms, and that's fine, but you cant pretend to be this man of Zen and want MMA to be recognised by the ISC yet stand by when your most high profile student has been linked with Drugs, Assault, Criminal Damage and all of the other allegations that have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

PLOPS wrote: »
    you cant pretend to be this man of Zen and want MMA to be recognised by the ISC yet stand by when your most high profile student has been linked with Drugs, Assault, Criminal Damage and all of the other allegations that have been made.

You keep your head down and hope it doesn't tarnish your own business.
    He has to look out for himself. You'd probably do the same in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

PLOPS wrote: »
    I think its because John talks out both sides of his mouth. He goes on about being a 'Martial Artist', yet has sat by and allowed the most outrageous carry on. It became quiet clear he was in it for the ride, he loved the junkets to New York and Vegas and all the carry on that went with it. Now he wants the quiet life and has been critical of CMg lately, so people see it as a "oh Fucck off John and your quotes" moment. He cashed in as hard as he could, wrote a book which must have taken all of 2 weeks to write and opened his gyms, and that's fine, but you cant pretend to be this man of Zen and want MMA to be recognised by the ISC yet stand by when your most high profile student has been linked with Drugs, Assault, Criminal Damage and all of the other allegations that have been made.

The deafening silence when Conor jumped in the cage at the bellator event as well. If you're gonna come over as principled and as an example to youngsters and preach the virtues of martial arts, don't just decide Conor acting the arse is okay cos you're gonna get paid and its good for your media profile.

The only comment I can even remember was A week later he did a smug tweet about Conor doing something nice and surprise suprise it not being reported by the media. Within seconds links were sent to him of a few tabloid articles reporting on Conor with a disabled fan at a bamma event i think.

He deleted the tweet that made him look an idiot but put something about his point remained - like Conor jumping in a cage and pushing a referee and other officals shouldn't be major headline news. Feck it'd be MMA media headline news if it was some also fringe top 15 also ran contender who did that, let alone the sports superstar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

Effects wrote: »
    You keep your head down and hope it doesn't tarnish your own business.
    He has to look out for himself. You'd probably do the same in fairness.

indeed McGregor made him a hypocrite many times over for sure but as you said - "it's just business"

the UFC are worse.

Dana White said that any fighter who put his hand on a woman was done in the UFC but then brushed off the domestic abuse stuff about Greg Hardy (who paid off his wife and then she refused to testify just before the trial resulting in the criminal case being dropped).

details here

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/12/7/18131496/dana-white-is-done-with-greg-hardy-questions-im-not-playing-this-bulls-t-with-you-guys

they would do it again I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

John Kavanagh very admirably campaigned heavily for safe MMA regulation in Ireland and became the figurehead for that movement. Yet he had no problem with McGregor diving into a cage at Bellator and trampling over a concussed fighter. He took the stance of "ah sure he was emotional and his buddy just won". A previous poster said about how he talks out of both sides of his mouth and this is precisely it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

As regards the jurisdiction of The Times, the article posted is from The Sunday Times, which has had an Irish edition for many years. It is different from the paper you'd get in the UK, it has Irish news reporting and Irish journalists.

It's even had a daily Irish edition for two years now.

They have a Dublin based address, do they not fall under Irish law?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think many are forgetting that life with that magnitude of fame is invariably complicated and very messy. Perhaps doubly so in the fight business, and times that again if you're with McGregor.

John spouts some questionable stuff. For whatever reason, it's typically limited to his social media and seems at odds with his public persona. For me, the avatar doesn't fit with the measured, reticent man in interviews.

But whatever, he's first and foremost an mma coach - really, what do you want or expect from his hot takes? Also, credit where it's due - you could argue that his success is at the behest of McGregor, but he's managed and leveraged the opportunity to great effect, and that involves many more skill-sets than being just a good coach or trainer. He clearly loves the sport, so good for him in that regard.

Where I do hope he shows worthwhile insight is with his coaching role in respect of McGregor. I thought it commendable when he talked of not being interested in fighting guy 6 or 7 - it seemed less to do with those fighters being worthy opponents and more to do with knowing where McGregor's head is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Have you ever met John ?

I AM John :-)

No mate never I didnt realise people didnt like him just curious as to why that is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

ASOT wrote: »
    Hiya John.

Ha I wish I had his money. Honest question BTW

MMAbhoy wrote: »
    I AM John :-)

No mate never I didnt realise people didnt like him just curious as to why that is ?

Thats my thoughts, how can you call someone you've never met a coward or a sneak. Jealousy I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Somehow I don't see Khabib & Conor getting a long suspension from the Nevada Commission....

DyBOxxyUUAAVGZ3.jpg

• Advertisement

Funny how that's announced today, and the UFC announced it.

Does Conor have to be in attendance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement