Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Kinda ironic to call proper 12 piss then to recommend Bushmills as a decent whiskey. Just saying.

Proper 12 isn't just Bushmills though. It's a Bushmills base malt spirit mixed with cheap grain whiskey.

White Bush is a much better whiskey. The cheap stuff from Lidl is a better whiskey.

Proper 12 is ****.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I was thinking that alright. He has lost 25% of his purse so its a fair hammering. Defintely a very expensive 30 seconds for him and his corner

Be made near 20 million from ppv sales. He'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

evil_seed I couldn't give a ****e about Proper 12 and will never taste a drop of it, but **** away off if you're going to spout ****e about stuff you clearly have no idea.

"Scotch is peaty"

No it's not. Some Scotch is, if they use peat in the drying process. So is some Irish if they do the same.

"It's my understanding that Proper 12 is a blend, not a single barrel, or same batch of barrels at least"

Almost all Irish whiskey is a blend of one sort or another. "Single" (either malt or pot still or whatever) means it comes from one distillery, not one barrel or one distillation batch.

Very little whiskey will be the product of a single distillation.

Proper 12 likely ain't great, but stop ****eing on as if you have a clue.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

evil_seed I couldn't give a ****e about Proper 12 and will never taste a drop of it, but **** away off if you're going to spout ****e about stuff you clearly have no idea.

"Scotch is peaty"

No it's not. Some Scotch is, if they use peat in the drying process. So is some Irish if they do the same.

"It's my understanding that Proper 12 is a blend, not a single barrel, or same batch of barrels at least"

Almost all Irish whiskey is a blend of one sort or another. "Single" (either malt or pot still or whatever) means it comes from one distillery, not one barrel or one distillation batch.

Very little whiskey will be the product of a single distillation.

Proper 12 likely ain't great, but stop ****eing on as if you have a clue.

The 2 of ye need to learn about whiskeys

have a read of this
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-single-malt-whisky-761283

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Why would you seed the two lower ranked fighters against each other? That's idiocy.

There's no need for a tournament, there's a champion in place. Ferguson is next, anyone else can earn a shot.

What are you on about?

My suggestion was Khabib, the champion, fights the #1 rank - Ferguson

The 2nd rank, McGregor, fights the 3rd rank - Poirier. The winner of the McGregor vs Poirier fight then fights for a title.

What's idiotic about that?

• Advertisement

Because you called it a tournament. Tournaments are seeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

dulux99 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

My suggestion was Khabib, the champion, fights the #1 rank - Ferguson

The 2nd rank, McGregor, fights the 3rd rank - Poirier. The winner of the McGregor vs Poirier fight then fights for a title.

What's idiotic about that?

Idiotic is a bit harsh but what you said would not be a tournament. That would just be the normal way. Champ fights the No. 1 contender while 2 and 3 fight to see whos next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

...__... wrote: »
    The 2 of ye need to learn about whiskeys

have a read of this
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-single-malt-whisky-761283

That confirms exactly what I said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dana said yesterday that they want Khabib v Tony for the belt & Conor v Cowboy with the winners fighting each other. Of course it's Dana so take it with massive amounts of salt.

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That confirms exactly what I said...

TBH, you come across like a snob if you say you would never try Proper 12.
    Why wouldn't you want to confirm how average it actually tastes for yourself, if given the chance?

• Advertisement

Autecher wrote: »
    Dana said yesterday that they want Khabib v Tony for the belt & Conor v Cowboy with the winners fighting each other. Of course it's Dana so take it with massive amounts of salt.

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

That's what's pissing off DP so I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Effects wrote: »
    TBH, you come across like a snob if you say you would never try Proper 12.
    Why wouldn't you want to confirm how average it actually tastes for yourself, if given the chance?

Because I enjoy whiskey, am familiar with Bushmills and particularly enjoy Black Bush. Why would I pay more for a bottle of Proper 12 when I could buy a bottle of Black Bush, which is likely to be significantly superior, for less?

I didn't realise not wanting to needlessly give Conor McGregor your money was what passed for the definition of snobbery these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Be made near 20 million from ppv sales. He'll be ok.

That true??

Autecher wrote: »

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

hope Conor v Cowboy happens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cowboy gets straight into the title picture? What about Dustin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

rob316 wrote: »

He could fight Al Iaquinta. That'd be a great fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Well, no secret Dana likes Cowboy personally and professionally. Dustin rightly fuming.

That true??

If the PPV figures released are true, yup.

rob316 wrote: »

Dustin lost Conor already i dont want to see that fight again but id love to see cowboy v Conor in Dallas.Dustin can fight the loser of tony and khabib

He could fight Al Iaquinta. That'd be a great fight!

Good call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Because I enjoy whiskey, am familiar with Bushmills and particularly enjoy Black Bush. Why would I pay more for a bottle of Proper 12 when I could buy a bottle of Black Bush, which is likely to be significantly superior, for less?

I wouldn't pay for it either. But I'd have no problem trying it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Proper 12 isn't just Bushmills though. It's a Bushmills base malt spirit mixed with cheap grain whiskey.

White Bush is a much better whiskey. The cheap stuff from Lidl is a better whiskey.

Proper 12 is ****.
    White bush is also mixed with cheaper grain whiskey. So is Black bush. :confused:
    Jameson, Paddy, Powers and most whiskeys at that price point are blended with grain.

That kinda my point. Nobody gave a crap (or was unaware) of any of those things until McGregor did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tony has to get the Khabib fight, Dustin should fight Cowboy and McGregor should fight Al given Al went the full fight with Khabib last but that's not good for business - McGregor Cowboy sells more PPVs than either of them against Dustin, Dustin vs. Al is a good fight which propels the winner closer to the top table - but I think Dustin is probably annoyed as I'd say the winner of that will be put against Tony - if he loses to Khabib or against Cowboy/McGregor loser - winning that fight doesn't provide the carrot of a title fight which Dustin feels he deserves - given the run he's been on, he's right to feel frustrated but I still don't think he's at that level tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dabs suggests the UFC are looking at Khabib v Tony. And if Conor and Cowboy want to fight, that's fine with him.
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Tony has to get the Khabib fight, Dustin should fight Cowboy and McGregor should fight Al given Al went the full fight with Khabib last but that's not good for business - McGregor Cowboy sells more PPVs than either of them against Dustin, Dustin vs. Al is a good fight which propels the winner closer to the top table - but I think Dustin is probably annoyed as I'd say the winner of that will be put against Tony - if he loses to Khabib or against Cowboy/McGregor loser - winning that fight doesn't provide the carrot of a title fight which Dustin feels he deserves - given the run he's been on, he's right to feel frustrated but I still don't think he's at that level tbh
    I think Dustin v Al makes sense. Both in top 5. Winner is in the title picture.
    Can't all get the red pantie night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Dabs suggests the UFC are looking at Khabib v Tony. And if Conor and Cowboy want to fight, that's fine with him.

I wonder will they put Mcgregor on the same card as Ferg and Khabbib in case one of them pulls out yet again?

Is this the 5th match up for those two rescheduled if it happens at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I wonder will they put Mcgregor on the same card as Ferg and Khabbib in case one of them pulls out yet again?

Is this the 5th match up for those two rescheduled if it happens at all?

I suspect they'd keep McGregor and Khabib on opposite cards incase something kicked off. Very possible.

But they have gotten very sensible with having main and co main events being in the same weight class recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It does in that it's a good fight of guys just outside the frame for a title shot right now, I reckon Dustin is píssed because whoever wins isn't getting the very next title shot, it'll be Cowboy or Conor, after that it's the winner of their fight*

*Assuming this is how it all gets scheduled

It puts them in the title picture as you say but not directly is what I'm saying, Porier probably sees Al as another step he has to take to get a title shot when, to his credit, he's taken plenty of steps already. I'd be píssed at Cowboy coming back down and straight away being in the title picture again if I was Porier - this is what's adding the additional step to his path realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Poirier absolutely deserves the next title shot if Ferguson can't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Poirier absolutely deserves the next title shot if Ferguson can't compete.

On the flipside, you have to wonder would Poirier rather fight for the title or fight McGregor for the monies. If Khabib and McGregor were likely to be active this is an unreal division, DP is twice the fighter he was at LW, Ferguson and Cowboy are two seriously entertaining fighters, McGregor is well McGregor and Khabib fights will always be worth watching. Add in Iaquinta and loopers like Gaethje and Diaz on the fringes and it means a stacked division.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

On the flipside, you have to wonder would Poirier rather fight for the title or fight McGregor for the monies. If Khabib and McGregor were likely to be active this is an unreal division, DP is twice the fighter he was at LW, Ferguson and Cowboy are two seriously entertaining fighters, McGregor is well McGregor and Khabib fights will always be worth watching. Add in Iaquinta and loopers like Gaethje and Diaz on the fringes and it means a stacked division.

I'd say he'd prefer McGregor. He gets a big bag of cash and if he wins he'd get a title shot off of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement