Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Perifect wrote: »
    I'm no expert but didn't McGregor cheat in the Khabib fight? He was using the fence and kneed Khabib in the faced while on the ground? Wasn't Khabib going to break McGregors arm or something before the illegal knee?

Not unless he was stupid enough to not tap, which he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Not unless he was stupid enough to not tap, which he isn't.

What should have happened with the knee? I mean, the ref did nothing, what should he have done?

What should have happened with the knee? I mean, the ref did nothing, what should he have done?

Should have been a DQ obviously, it was illegal. Dunno why it wasn't stopped then.

Should have been a DQ obviously, it was illegal. Dunno why it wasn't stopped then.

Really? Oh, I thought it'd be a points deduction or something. So really McGregor was beaten easily in 2 rounds?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Next opponent might be the DPP

1 month off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Paully D wrote: »
    A quiet night ahead I’m sure! :pac:

Great photo here:

YOtJphZ_d.jpg

ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never said khabibs stand up was good. I said it was better than connors on the night. Big difference.
    You said he out boxed him despite his weak boxing.
    I'm saying out landing one big strike isn't the same as outboxing him.

Khabib won by mauling him on the ground.

It's only a DQ if it ends the fight or contributes to the end of the fight.
    Otherwise it's point deduction, or more commonly just a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Mellor wrote: »
    You said he out boxed him despite his weak boxing.
    I'm saying out landing one big strike isn't the same as outboxing him.

Khabib won by mauling him on the ground.

There was no time that the striker was winning by out striking

There was no time that the striker was winning by out striking
    I'm not sure what your point is there. :confused:
    I didn't say McGregor was winning at any point. And he doesn't need to have been for my point to stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

I'm not sure what your point is there. :confused:
    I didn't say McGregor was winning at any point. And he doesn't need to have been for my point to stand.

Maybe we got off on the wrong foot my friend. All I’m saying is that was a shadow of mcgregor fighting that night who at no point looked like he should even be in a fight of that level. People can analyze it all they want. He lost the fight in the months before the fight.

Maybe we got off on the wrong foot my friend. All I’m saying is that was a shadow of mcgregor fighting that night who at no point looked like he should even be in a fight of that level. People can analyze it all they want. He lost the fight in the months before the fight.
    I agree that McGregor looked a shadow of himself. Very different to the guy who fought Nate or Eddie.
    Maybe that's down to his prep. Maybe Khabib is just that good.

I agree that McGregor looked a shadow of himself. Very different to the guy who fought Nate or Eddie.
    Maybe that's down to his prep. Maybe Khabib is just that good.
    I reckon its a combo of ring rust and energy being sapped from fending off Khabib for two rounds.
    That kind of relentless pressuring will drain the **** out of you, as you well know I'm sure if you've ever rolled with an enthusiastic wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Please... he got through the first round without taking any damage, no either khabib opponent managed that. He thwarted every attempt khabib made to advance position that round. He got through the 2nd round where khabib clearly tried his best to finish him then won the 3rd round. If he 'shouldn't have been in a fight of that level' he would've got destroyed and stopped in 1st or 2nd round.

spix wrote: »
    Please... he got through the first round without taking any damage, no either khabib opponent managed that. He thwarted every attempt khabib made to advance position that round. He got through the 2nd round where khabib clearly tried his best to finish him then won the 3rd round. If he 'shouldn't have been in a fight of that level' he would've got destroyed and stopped in 1st or 2nd round.

But he illegally kneed Khabib in the head? Without that he was gone in the second round, easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Please... he got through the first round without taking any damage, no either khabib opponent managed that.

He was handled with ease. What difference does that 1st round mean if he couldnt even land a punch? He was dead on his feet in the later rounds.

We'll never know.
    Could be that he would have tapped from the sub (can't remember if it was a Kimura or a keylock or that)
    Could have wiggled out of it.

But he illegally kneed Khabib in the head? Without that he was gone in the second round, easily?

Pretty sure the knee happened after khabib had already tried to stop him with punches then went for a kimura as he'd tired his arms out from punching so much. The knee had no affect on the outcome of the fight, it was just mcgregor saying fu to khabib for saying 'dana' It wasn't a last ditched attempt for conor to get out of a bad situation by throwing illegal strikes.

• Advertisement

We'll never know.
    Could be that he would have tapped from the sub (can't remember if it was a Kimura or a keylock or that)
    Could have wiggled out of it.

If I recall correctly, the knee didn't make khabib let go of the submission attempt and kept going for it after the knee, khabib let go when he realised conor wasn't tapping and felt he couldn't make it any better. Its normal for him to let go of submission attempts.

Pretty sure the knee happened after khabib had already tried to stop him with punches then went for a kimura as he'd tired his arms out from punching so much. The knee had no affect on the outcome of the fight, it was just mcgregor saying fu to khabib for saying 'dana' It wasn't a last ditched attempt for conor to get out of a bad situation by throwing illegal strikes.

I'm not an expert but surely an illegal knee to the head and other cheating has an effect on the fight? Why do it unless it gives you an advantage? I found a clip of it:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/video-clip-conor-cheating-against-khabib.3841975/

I'm not an expert but surely an illegal knee to the head and other cheating has an effect on the fight? Why do it unless it gives you an advantage? I found a clip of it:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/video-clip-conor-cheating-against-khabib.3841975/

I already said why.. Khabib shouted to Dana as you can hear in the clip then Conor kneed him for shouting at Dana, it didn't have any impact on the fight, Khabib continued with his kimura attempt. The other 'cheating' is nothing more than clutching at straws as to why conor didn't get completely manhandled from the get go. Khabib actually held Conors shorts to complete the first takedown, he also had his fingers in Conors gloves when Conor had his fingers in Khabibs. People just pointing out what Conor did and ignoring everything Khabib did.

I already said why.. Khabib shouted to Dana as you can hear in the clip then Conor kneed him for shouting at Dana, it didn't have any impact on the fight, Khabib continued with his kimura attempt. The other 'cheating' is nothing more than clutching at straws as to why conor didn't get completely manhandled from the get go. Khabib actually held Conors shorts to complete the first takedown, he also had his fingers in Conors gloves when Conor had his fingers in Khabibs. People just pointing out what Conor did and ignoring everything Khabib did.

Was he not shouting at Dana because he was about to finish the fight? The only thing that stopped him was the illegal knee to the head? I don't know, maybe you've talked to McGregor and he told you why he kneed khabib in the head? I don't care either way, it's just clear that McGregor was cheating to prolong the fight, the commentators are clearly calling the cheating out.

If I recall correctly, the knee didn't make khabib let go of the submission attempt and kept going for it after the knee, khabib let go when he realised conor wasn't tapping and felt he couldn't make it any better. Its normal for him to let go of submission attempts.
    Yeah he wasn't getting that sub at that angle, plus the knee barely fazed him by the looks of it.

Was he not shouting at Dana because he was about to finish the fight? The only thing that stopped him was the illegal knee to the head? I don't know, maybe you've talked to McGregor and he told you why he kneed khabib in the head? I don't care either way, it's just clear that McGregor was cheating to prolong the fight, the commentators are clearly calling the cheating out.

Maybe because he thought he was about to finish it, doesn't mean he was going to be successful. As the video shows he really tried to finish it after the knee, the knee didn't make him lose the position he already had, didn't alter his grip and didn't hurt him as he called to the referee immediately after it. Commentators are right, it was an illegal knee but that doesn't mean it was to 'cheat' or that it had any affect on anything, it was just Conor saying FU to khabib for calling to Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

12-6 elbows, grabbing shorts, knees, grabbing the cage, low blows, the lot.

The Nal wrote: »
    12-6 elbows, grabbing shorts, knees, grabbing the cage, low blows, the lot.
    Yep, only man to ever cheat in an MMA match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not the first time he's cheated ;)

Mod:If people are gonna keep ignoring the warnings they will keep getting cards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep, only man to ever cheat in an MMA match.

Well he got away with it so you can't fault him there. No issue with pushing the rules to the limits in sport. It does show desperation though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement