Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Lads, you are arguing with a lad who already has stated several times that he doesn't really know what he is talking about and yet he continues to disagree with what you are both telling him. Flogging a dead house comes to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The Nal wrote: »
    Just looking back at the fight again. Some of the punches McGregor threw were pathetic. So afraid of the takedown. Some of the them were basically slaps. And not in a Diaz way.

Thats what happens when you have that animals takedown to worry about. Compleatly shifts the focus of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Lads, you are arguing with a lad who already has stated several times that he doesn't really know what he is talking about and yet he continues to disagree with what you are both telling him. Flogging a dead house comes to mind!

I said I wasn't an expert! I don't think it takes an expert to realise that athletes cheat when they are desperate and are not confident in winning legitimately!
    I do agree that this is just going round in circles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ASOT wrote: »
    Thats what happens when you have that animals takedown to worry about. Compleatly shifts the focus of the fight.

Very much so yeah. Tentative throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Not much going on in work so I have time :)

Plus it's better than what's been posted here lately. At least it's actual MMA discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

This would be why I think McGregor needs a solid win under his belt before a Khabib rematch, I can't see how he repairs the issues of the first fight without a good solid win to build his confidence in the stand up.

A display like the one against Alvarez and 2 good camps focusing on his strengths would be the best way to go into a rematch IMO. Whether he can do that is a big question though

RoryMac wrote: »
    This would be why I think McGregor needs a solid win under his belt before a Khabib rematch, I can't see how he repairs the issues of the first fight without a good solid win to build his confidence in the stand up.

A display like the one against Alvarez and 2 good camps focusing on his strengths would be the best way to go into a rematch IMO. Whether he can do that is a big question though

He trained heavy on wrestling/wrestling defence and clearly neglected his striking imo. I honestly think the rematch could go a different way provided he had his head down, was stuck in & hungry but thats easier said than done.

Agree with you though and personally id rather see him pick up another win but mentally I dont think he will go down that route and opt straight for he rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He was in ATT over the weekend.

Must be the first time I can remember that he has openly trained in another gym?

Might be a good indication of where things are currently at.

Paully D wrote: »

Must be the first time I can remember that he has openly trained in another gym?

Any pictures Paully?

Id love to see him go to another gym full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember he stopped into 10th planet a few years back to roll with 'the best guys' according to Eddie Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Very interesting.

It's been said many times but doing a camp in America would be excellent for him. Getting out of Dublin for any period of time could only be a good thing for him surely.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I remember he stopped into 10th planet a few years back to roll with 'the best guys' according to Eddie Bravo.

Yeah Eddie brings it up from time to time on JRE, that he just turned up and rolled with/submitted some of his best guys. Class in fairness considering he said other mma guys who drop in are afraid of hurting there ego/reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any pictures Paully?

Id love to see him go to another gym full time.

https://twitter.com/jucao/status/1092490825672654848?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Was he not training at Tri Star when he hurt his knee rolling with RoryMc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Was he not training at Tri Star when he hurt his knee rolling with RoryMc?
    I don't think so. I thought he and Rory were on the tour promoting UFC 189 and they were grappling either backstage at some venue in Toronto or at a local gym. They were probably just killing time more than anything and Conor's knee gets messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't think things are great with John but I couldn't see him leaving him ever really. Would be good for him though to change it up and get out of Dublin and away from the cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

He needs a run like 2016. I know he had the loss to Nate but it's probably his best year focus wise with the second camp and the Alvarez camp with very little downtime and time for partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think people are thinking too much into this. That's not ATT HQ he's at. It's Carniero's place in Atlanta.

I'd imagine he was looking to get some rounds in while he's in Georgia for the Superbowl.

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think things are great with John but I couldn't see him leaving him ever really. Would be good for him though to change it up and get out of Dublin and away from the cronies.
    I could see Roddy take the role of head coach for next fight and JK could save face by saying it was a transition he planned all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think people are thinking too much into this. That's not ATT HQ he's at. It's Carniero's place in Atlanta.

I'd imagine he was looking to get some rounds in while he's in Georgia for the Superbowl.

I think the fact that he's bothering to train at all during a visit for The Superbowl is significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

MrStuffins wrote: »

Just when you might forget what kind of a superstar he is over there, he gets to be pitchside at the SuperBowl. The biggest annual sporting event in the World (well, according to Amercians anyway), and this eejit from Crumlin gets the invite.

Great to see him in pictures on the ptich with Conor Jr (rather than with a bottle of whiskey and/or cheerleaders :) )

And taking the time to get some rounds in while he's over there, rather than taking the opportunity to go on another bender!
    One swallow doesn't make a summer, but maybe he's copping himself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Just when you might forget what kind of a superstar he is over there, he gets to be pitchside at the SuperBowl. The biggest annual sporting event in the World (well, according to Amercians anyway), and this eejit from Crumlin gets the invite.

Great to see him in pictures on the ptich with Conor Jr (rather than with a bottle of whiskey and/or cheerleaders :) )

And taking the time to get some rounds in while he's over there, rather than taking the opportunity to go on another bender!
    One swallow doesn't make a summer, but maybe he's copping himself on.
    He's on his best behaviour at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I could see Roddy take the role of head coach for next fight and JK could save face by saying it was a transition he planned all along.
    Is it even a post about JK without 'Pseudo-Intellectual' chucked in though?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As lads mentioned above he dropped into a 10th Planet in California before. And I've also seen him training jiu jitsu at Unity when he was in NewYork for promo stuff.

I imagine the above was just him getting some rounds in on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    As lads mentioned above he dropped into a 10th Planet in California before. And I've also seen him training jiu jitsu at Unity when he was in NewYork for promo stuff.

I imagine the above was just him getting some rounds in on the road.

Which is pretty normal but this thread being this thread it'll be read into a lot more than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No no, he clearly had a row with John and is joining some American gym to revolutionise his training to be heavyweight champ champ champ.

Definitely not just getting some work in while he's in the area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kavanagh was over at the superbowl too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kavanagh was over at the superbowl too
    Nope he wasn’t. He is in Iceland.
    He was at a patriots game last season though, think it was the afc championship game in foxboro or else semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Conor has signed a 2 year endorsement deal with betting company pari match. He is their ambassador for the commonwealth countries and Cyprus. A bit random but it keeps the money rolling in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads I have deleted some recent posts. You are all fully aware of the recent warnings but still seem to ignore them - so let me be very clear, if someone starts posting something that clearly isn't allowed and you reply to it continuing to derail the thread you will also be getting carded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement