Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ion Pascu was asked in an interview about Conor's next fight, he hinted that it was Cerrone. When Dana was in Australia last week he said he has started talking to Conor about his next fight and mentioned Cerrone every time I saw him interviewed. It does seem like Donald is in line for that retirement paycheck. I hope he gets it too, I love watching him fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Autecher wrote: »
    Ion Pascu was asked in an interview about Conor's next fight, he hinted that it was Cerrone. When Dana was in Australia last week he said he has started talking to Conor about his next fight and mentioned Cerrone every time I saw him interviewed. It does seem like Donald is in line for that retirement paycheck. I hope he gets it too, I love watching him fight.

Great news

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone else think Cerrone is a dangerous fight for McGregor, certainly one that is far far from a gimme win for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Cerrone is a dangerous fight for McGregor, certainly one that is far far from a gimme win for him?

Conor should have him out of there within a round , if he doesn't I think he should pack it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

I’d say if pat mustard caught Connor on the right morning these days he could get the win.

Fight really depends on which Connor turns up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think things are great with John but I couldn't see him leaving him ever really. Would be good for him though to change it up and get out of Dublin and away from the cronies.

I remember seen an interview where JK was hesitant about Conor fighting again , he said Kahib hit him hard, that Conor was never hit like that and it did damage and well he he has a family and money so doesn’t need to put himself in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

He was dropped for all intents and purposes - ok, pedants will say otherwise but it was as good as, and the turning point of the fight.

With respect to John's appraisal, I think he paid more heed to the fact he was caught at all, rather than quantifying the extent of damage done, both in the moment and to his longer-term health. Conor's stock in trade was to slip, and this time he didn't...

The question is whether that moment is a harsh criticism or fair indicator of Conor's current state. It's less rare or applicable in MMA, but in some other sports athletes 'lose a yard' around his age.

Of course, he was on the lookout for the takedown. If it happens, I think the Cowboy fight will be very telling. If he's a good as he thinks he is, he'll be expecting to get him out very early.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conor should have him out of there within a round , if he doesn't I think he should pack it in.

Obviously it depends on which Cerrone shows up but McGregor won't have a big height or reach advantage that he usually has. Cerrone is taller, has a marginally smaller reach, and can fight a 3 or 5 round fight.

I don't think this is an easy fight for McGregor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Obviously it depends on which Cerrone shows up but McGregor won't have a big height or reach advantage that he usually has. Cerrone is taller, has a marginally smaller reach, and can fight a 3 or 5 round fight.

It's a big risk. The public generally speaking can afford him a pass on previous two L's. The same crowd will expect him to beat Cerrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It isn't a gimme fight. Nor should it be. Given we're talking about a top 5 match.
    I’d say if pat mustard caught Connor on the right morning these days he could get the win.

Fight really depends on which Connor turns up
    How does losing to arguable the best LW equate to Pat Mustard. People had the same attitude to Aldo after the McGregor loss.

If DC ever rematches Stipe, expect Stipe to be ridiculous value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Exactly straight to the liver shots and he should make short work of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dana said at the 234 press conference that they are working on Cowboy v Conor for the Summer. My guess would be Fight Week.

Roan Carneiro talked about his session with Conor from last week.

However, speaking to John Hyon Ko of The Body Lock, Carneiro revealed there was nothing to those rumors. Instead, they both got in contact through a mutual friend in George Lockhart — who handles the diet for McGregor and many other UFC fighters.
    Lockhart informed Carneiro that McGregor was simply looking to train somewhere for the day which led to their rolling session.
    “He [McGregor] was like ‘hey man, you want to roll?’ I said ‘of course man, why not?’ Then we do one roll, five minutes and then the second roll, another five. And then the third, I have to be honest, it was my first training [session] after my [last] fight so I gassed a little bit. He’s like, ‘come on man, let’s go, one more, one more.’”
    “Then he wanted championship rounds, so then we rolled for five, five-minute rounds. He liked a lot. We exchanged experience. I showed him some tricks. just left my door open for him, whenever he wants to come, he is going to be welcomed. He changed what I thought about him — super nice guy, so respectful, I only have good things to tell about him.”
    McGregor’s new coach in the future?

While he will not be McGregor’s new coach, the social media post exploded regardless, particularly for Carneiro. Interestingly, he isn’t ruling out the possibility of becoming McGregor’s coach in the future either.
    “I saw he posted a picture on his social media. I’m like wow. My Instagram, all social media, Twitter, everything went crazy. Talking about calls, people were calling me. Then the rumors. Oh, he’s going to be the next head coach. This is fake news. He might like the training, I’m sure he liked it, but we didn’t have any conversations about me being his trainer.”
    “He might in the future, I leave the door open. If he wants my help, I definitely want to help him. To be honest, it will be an accomplishment if I’m able to make him beat the guy who beat him. That makes me go wow. I don’t care about his money. I don’t care about him being Conor McGregor. I don’t give a damn about it. My final goal is the victory. Bringing some guys from their adversity to conquer the results. That’s my philosophy.”
    Carneiro wouldn’t be the only coach ready to offer their services, as McGregor would have a host of options should he decide to switch things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If the cerrone fight happens, mcgregor is sure to win, if you know what I mean. No other way he would take a fight against someone with several stoppage wins at 170, he doesn't need to take headkicks at this stage his career to make money so he's not going to. A loss against cowboy would also kill his status as a championship level fighter. Ariel helwani knows that as well, thats why he was calling cowboy out for acting all nicey picey towards mcgregor and said he doesn't want to see a glorified sparring match.

Personally I think mcgregor vs khabib rematch is next, you can see he's still training with his khabib sparring partner nikolay grozdev just few days ago in miami. Its likely all the cerrone talk for mcgregor and ferguson talk for khabib is just negotiation tactics to get a deal done. I don't see any reason for khabib to take another fight and risk losing the rematch payday, even if he wanted his manager wouldn't let him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

spix wrote: »
    If the cerrone fight happens, mcgregor is sure to win, if you know what I mean. No other way he would take a fight against someone with several stoppage wins at 170, he doesn't need to take headkicks at this stage his career to make money so he's not going to. A loss against cowboy would also kill his status as a championship level fighter. Ariel helwani knows that as well, thats why he was calling cowboy out for acting all nicey picey towards mcgregor and said he doesn't want to see a glorified sparring match.

Personally I think mcgregor vs khabib rematch is next, you can see he's still training with his khabib sparring partner nikolay grozdev just few days ago in miami. Its likely all the cerrone talk for mcgregor and ferguson talk for khabib is just negotiation tactics to get a deal done. I don't see any reason for khabib to take another fight and risk losing the rematch payday, even if he wanted his manager wouldn't let him.

Even if the Khabib fight isn't next, McGregor is going to want to avenge that loss. Regardless, even if the Khabib fight wasn't on the horizon McGregor is always going to be working on his grappling so it's not surprising to see him training with Nikolay. Sure, wasn't he training with him for the Alvarez fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I really hope the Khabib rematch isn't next. The fight in October was conclusive as it gets. There's no reason other than revenue for that fight to happen.

Even if the Khabib fight isn't next, McGregor is going to want to avenge that loss. Regardless, even if the Khabib fight wasn't on the horizon McGregor is always going to be working on his grappling so it's not surprising to see him training with Nikolay. Sure, wasn't he training with him for the Alvarez fight.

Assuming they both take fights before a rematch....If mcgregor wins his and khabib loses his, whoever beats khabib will demand the mcgregor fight and fans will look for that as well.

If mcgregor loses and khabib wins, that fight simply cant be made any time soon and the longer that goes by the less interest in the rematch.

If they both lose you can make the fight but interest is greatly reduced.

I dont think the ufc and khabibs manager will risk anything that can reduce the value of that rematch. There is still alot of interest in it due to the drama that happened afterwards. You can also sell the fact it was mcgregors first mma fight in 2 years whilst khabib had been very active so the rematch will be more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Ridiculous statement.

He doesn't have a problem with hitting bigger people though. Lit Nate and Max up easily, his problem is durability. Cerrone isn't exactly the most durable of fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Assuming they both take fights before a rematch....If mcgregor wins his and khabib loses his, whoever beats khabib will demand the mcgregor fight and fans will look for that as well.

If mcgregor loses and khabib wins, that fight simply cant be made any time soon and the longer that goes by the less interest in the rematch.

If they both lose you can make the fight but interest is greatly reduced.

I dont think the ufc and khabibs manager will risk anything that can reduce the value of that rematch. There is still alot of interest in it due to the drama that happened afterwards. You can also sell the fact it was mcgregors first mma fight in 2 years whilst khabib had been very active so the rematch will be more competitive.

Interesting scenario, think it will come down to what McGregor wants there. Does he want revenge over getting the title back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib and Conor will never fight again imo, one of them will lose before they can set that fight up again.

I might be the only one who has zero interest in a Cerrone fight, honestly think Conor runs through him and I think it'll be a joke if he gets a title shot after beating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

xtal191 wrote: »
    Khabib and Conor will never fight again imo, one of them will lose before they can set that fight up again.

I might be the only one who has zero interest in a Cerrone fight, honestly think Conor runs through him and I think it'll be a joke if he gets a title shot after beating him.

Khabibs been talking recently about getting offered a boxing match in the summer in Russia, wants either Floyd or Manny. Heard it was going to be Alexander Besputin that they offered him, 12-0 147lb with 9 KOs. He has one fight left on his deal and wants GSP in November. Refusing to fight before then. Tony will get screwed either way whether Conor is involved or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Raekwondo wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement.

He doesn't have a problem with hitting bigger people though. Lit Nate and Max up easily, his problem is durability. Cerrone isn't exactly the most durable of fighters.

Terrible boxing defence, and notoriously slow starter.

But boy Jaysus you don't want to eat one of those head kicks that's for sure.

xtal191 wrote: »

Thats why the rematch will be first before they go on with their careers. You cant just throw away the massive revenue from that rematch. It could set up a trilogy and if its the same result, both fighters continue as if nothing happened, nobodies stock is affected. Khabibs manager definitely knows that from listening to his recent interviews. If they get an L before the rematch their negotiating power for a life changing pay day is completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The UFC LW belt is like the one ring at this stage. It taints whoever wins it. LW should be the best division, instead we have 2 consecutive champs looking to box. Who actually wants to watch Khabib box?

Pretty solid proof that mcgregor vs khabib is next and talk about other fights is negotiating tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-eO3TIdqo

Interviewer - Are we getting any closer to seeing khabib or conor back in the octagon again
    Dana - They're going to be fighting other people before they fight each other again, so no *smirks*

That wasn't even the question but dana heard it like that because hes been focusing on making them think they'll be fighting someone else so they'll sign the current crappy contract.

Pretty solid proof that mcgregor vs khabib is next and talk about other fights is negotiating tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-eO3TIdqo

Interviewer - Are we getting any closer to seeing khabib or conor back in the octagon again
    Dana - They're going to be fighting other people before they fight each other again, so no *smirks*

That wasn't even the question but dana heard it like that because hes been focusing on making them think they'll be fighting someone else so they'll sign the current crappy contract.

Well Khabib ain't fighting anytime soon. By the time he sits out 1 year that his mate got banned for - it'll be Ramadan and he'll be out for another 3 months.

It seems Conor is eager to get another one in early summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ridiculous statement.

What's ridiculous about it, Cerrone is a journeyman. He goes in to panic mode when hurt. conor should hit him clean and often and have him turtle up before the first rounds over.
    This is going to be just like Nate Diaz where he gets hyped up as some unbeatable killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Ridiculous statement.

What's ridiculous about it, Cerrone is a journeyman. He goes in to panic mode when hurt. conor should hit him clean and often and have him turtle up before the first rounds over.
    This is going to be just like Nate Diaz where he gets hyped up as some unbeatable killer.

And he lost the first Diaz fight...

Lukker- wrote: »
    Well Khabib ain't fighting anytime soon. By the time he sits out 1 year that his mate got banned for - it'll be Ramadan and he'll be out for another 3 months.

It seems Conor is eager to get another one in early summer.

Dana said later in that interview he's going to get khabib to do the psa. My bet, rematch at ufc 236, before ramadan and both will have their suspension served if khabib does the psa. Khabib saying he wont do the psa could be just a negotiation tactic.

Dana said later in that interview he's going to get khabib to do the psa. My bet, rematch at ufc 236, before ramadan and both will have their suspension served if khabib does the psa. Khabib saying he wont do the psa could be just a negotiation tactic.

It's not to do with the PSA it's to do with the lad who rabbit punched Conor. He got a year ban and Khabib said he won't fight during that period.

Khabib might be telling porkies and it might be part of his negotiation tactic, who knows. Javier Mendes said today he wants the Conor rematch. Team Khabib certainly avoiding T Ferg anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's not to do with the PSA it's to do with the lad who rabbit punched Conor. He got a year ban and Khabib said he won't fight during that period.

Khabib might be telling porkies and it might be part of his negotiation tactic, who knows. Javier Mendes said today he wants the Conor rematch. Team Khabib certainly avoiding T Ferg anyways.

After 4 failed attempts, do you blame them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement