Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

I doubt he'll be fighting before the summer, prob Fight Week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's going to be fighting about 5 times this year at the rate he's calling people out. Cowboy, Nate, Khabib, Silva. Ferguson would make the most sense and I think he loses that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

dont see him beating any of those going by last performance so something will need to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Cowboy and Nate, i think he'd beat handy (relatively speaking!).

Silva just seems too weird a match up, as in what weight could it even be at!?

Ferguson is obviously dangerous, but he does like to stand and bang, which should play into Conors hands.

I think he could get the better of Khabib. For all them though he needs to up his game from the last fight, but it was on the back of a 2 year lay off...so why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sc86 wrote: »
    dont see him beating any of those going by last performance so something will need to change

His last performance against arguably the best wrestler in the UFC?

It was an OK performance in that context, doesn't really apply to most of those guys, so they'd all be good fights with a strong chance Conor would get a KO.

Whatever about Silva (bit random), him and Tony would be a great 50/50 scrap, Nate and Cowboy, I'd lean in his favour.

The legacy of the Khabib fight is a bit of an unfair one, it way pretty much the way everyone expected, and most fans were surprised by Conors fairly robust defence in a field he's not known to be particularly strong in, but now everyones acting like he was knocked out by a bum.

Lost count of the amount of times I've seen people talk about how he was 'exposed'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I see him fighting cowboy. That doesn't do much for me tbh. Make it for a pretend belt.

If the Russian throws his toys out of his pram I see him getting the belt taken off him and Conor gets a wrap at Toney for the belt.

This sets up a fight with Nate or the Russian and that's all she wrote. Good night and goodbye from Conor after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crybaby

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He still is.....there's nothing more exciting than the week leading up to a McGregor fight

all the other stuff I aint too interested in, I dare say when he gives up fighting I'd have little or no interest in what he does

I think the problem is "all the other stuff" has become dramatically worse since the Mayweather fight. He's turned into a pretty horrible person overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

crybaby wrote: »
    I think the problem is "all the other stuff" has become dramatically worse since the Mayweather fight. He's turned into a pretty horrible person overall.

Unless "all the other stuff" is MMA related, it cannot be discussed here.

That's not a suggestion btw. :)

Cowboy and Nate, i think he'd beat handy (relatively speaking!).

?

beat nate handy ?
    as handy as last 2 fights again nate?
    he lost first fight easily
    won second 3 rounds to 2
    im a conor fan , but come on please lets be realistic

if same conor turns up again cowboy that we saw last fight then i wouldnt be very confident of victory

His last performance against arguably the best wrestler in the UFC?

It was an OK performance in that context, doesn't really apply to most of those guys, so they'd all be good fights with a strong chance Conor would get a KO.

Whatever about Silva (bit random), him and Tony would be a great 50/50 scrap, Nate and Cowboy, I'd lean in his favour.

The legacy of the Khabib fight is a bit of an unfair one, it way pretty much the way everyone expected, and most fans were surprised by Conors fairly robust defence in a field he's not known to be particularly strong in, but now everyones acting like he was knocked out by a bum.

Lost count of the amount of times I've seen people talk about how he was 'exposed'.

best wrestler yes no question
    his striking and areas he should be better in he wasnt
    it wasnt just wrestling than he was beat by

the conor than fought eddie alverez gives khabib a right good fight and would at least out box him
    that conor we saw was a shadow of what his ability was before

his next fight will tell alot of the direction things are really going for him , but lets be honest , signs are poor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

the conor than fought eddie alverez gives khabib a right good fight and would at least out box him

his next fight will tell alot of the direction things are really going for him , but lets be honest , signs are poor

It doesn't work that way. The very same would have happened "2016 Conor" against Khabib. He was so focused on takedowns he wasn't worrying about striking.

How did khabib "outbox" him anyway? Far as I could see khabib landed 1 wild overhand, that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least be fair to Conor. He wasn't showing great striking against Khabib because of the takedown concern.

Look at Al Iaquinta. He's a great brawler/scrapper, but even he looked like a bum against Khabib - same thing, he was so wrapped up in takedown defense that he never got an offence going.

But we still know that Al is a great scrapper capable of taking it to the best of the division regardless.

Conor is still a high good striker, and it's really not fair to detract from that based on a fight against the UFC's best wrestler.

I always say that what Conor did to Eddie was a lot more of a humiliating dismantlement than what Khabib did.

There was no real shame in the loss against Khabib. He put up a better defense than most expected.

Problem is the casual fans don't appreciate the different disiplines. That would be true also of most fights, but Conor's fights draw huge masses of casual fans that wouldn't typically follow the sport.

It doesn't work that way. The very same would have happened "2016 Conor" against Khabib. He was so focused on takedowns he wasn't worrying about striking.

How did khabib "outbox" him anyway? Far as I could see khabib landed 1 wild overhand, that was it.

he didnt wobble him once - 2016 conor would have at least made him think once or twice , he had no moment of note for the entire fight , it was very flat

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

is 2016 conor a thing now ? like ****ing ****ing fidget spinners, motivated BJ penn, sea level cain bla bla bla, pokemon g0, polly in your pocket type hype

what a time to be alive lads !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

is 2016 conor a thing now ? like ****ing ****ing fidget spinners, motivated BJ penn, sea level cain bla bla bla, pokemon g0, polly in your pocket type hype

what a time to be alive lads !

Full camp Mendes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

A Conor/Tony fight is very interesting. Tony has a habit of getting himself in to all sorts of trouble, then turns the fight on its head and gets the win (Lando, Lee, Barboza, and maybe Pettis, off the top of my head).
    I can't think of any fight where Conor rattled his opponent and ended up losing (he was busting up Nate's face, but Nate never looked in trouble).

I can't say who wins, but I'd bet Tony is mess after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Conor just came up against someone who has a stronger and bigger skeleton, Khabib was hurting him with his striking that's why Conor backed off so much.
    Full Skeleton 2016 Conor would have put up a better fight me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He should have drank more milk as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Conor just came up against someone who has a stronger and bigger skeleton, Khabib was hurting him with his striking that's why Conor backed off so much.

Your actually not wrong,

Look at Conor when he was fighting Aldo he keep saying how Aldo had no chance because he was a smaller man frame wise,

Only two guys Conor has fought with bigger frames are Nate and Khabib and look how both fights went ,

Even Eddie isn't bigger just carries more muscle ,
    Look at Conor's head compared to Eddie and Aldo and other's he beat with ease he has had a bigger frame than them .

Struggled against guys who are bigger than him .,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What a prestigious list to make

Fuller skeleton Khabib
    2016 Connor
    Sea level Cain
    TRTitor
    Full camp Mendes
    Horse meat Overeem
    etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What a prestigious list to make

Fuller skeleton Khabib
    2016 Connor
    Sea level Cain
    TRTitor
    Full camp Mendes
    Horse meat Overeem
    etc

You forgot the original one motivated Bj Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I coined the term Eddie Conor.:(

Ush1 wrote: »
    I coined the term Eddie Conor.:(
    Is that 2016 Conor you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

D'Agger wrote: »
    Is that 2016 Conor you mean?

What about clear-headed, non-nervous, non-titlefight Cerrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ush1 wrote: »
    What about clear-headed, non-nervous, non-titlefight Cerrone?
    He's been superseded by Dad Cerrone

Pre Amazing Scuba Story Cerrone

Alright I'm stopping now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Entry: Still on his stool Romero

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

D'Agger wrote: »
    Pre Amazing Scuba Story Cerrone

Found that story a bit boring to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

2016 Khabib still beats 2016 McGregor I'd say, just not as easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

2016 McGregor beats 2015 Khabib.

Barely!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement