Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So with the Nevada bans handed out and Khabib deciding to sit it out for the year what exactly is stopping the next McGregor fight from being booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Just rewatched the fight for the first time, Jesus lads it was bad. Didn’t see one thing from him throughout the whole fight to suggest he was ever gonna trouble khabib. Would love to see him fight again but a rematch would be another mauling for him and I hope he avoids it, plenty of other fights to get him loving life again. A max rematch but at 155 would be top of my wish list

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spix wrote: »
    Didn't JK do an interview a while back saying he'd need to be persuaded into training Conor for a fight which isn't nate/khabib rematch. Now Conor ain't training with him and he's crying about it on twitter because he believes Conor isn't being himself by not going crawling back to him :rolleyes:

Is debating various interpretations of JK tweets becoming the new "it's only business/fishes/best wishes"
    So with the Nevada bans handed out and Khabib deciding to sit it out for the year what exactly is stopping the next McGregor fight from being booked?
    McGregor is currently suspended.
    Doesn't stop a future fight announcement, but kind puts a dampener on any hype.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just getting some sessions in while he's over that way I'd imagine.
    Fairly normal for people to visit gyms in an area they're visiting or staying for a while so they can keep the regime going.

Going by the gyms he's traveling down California. He'll probably be rolling in Chris Haueters garage next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Who's yer man hes sparing in latest Instagram posts?

• Advertisement

Who's yer man hes sparing in latest Instagram posts?
    Nikolay Grozdev

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’ll do McGregor no harm training outside of sbg and their yes men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Looks like Artem give him better sparing going by those clips .

He's paying a young guy from SBG to come with him on his trip and act as his training partner. Not really a big change to the yes-men mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If you look closely at the punch that 'dropped' him, he was caught mid back step, that's the only reason he went down. His left foot was off the ground when it landed. He had his eyes locked on khabib instantly and few seconds later successfully countered the exact same punch. It didn't hurt him nearly as much as the one diaz landed in their first fight but that never dropped him. It wasn't a turning point in the fight since he also spent most of round 1 on the ground and never took any punches before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

If you look closely at the punch that 'dropped' him, he was caught mid back step, that's the only reason he went down. His left foot was off the ground when it landed. He had his eyes locked on khabib instantly and few seconds later successfully countered the exact same punch. It didn't hurt him nearly as much as the one diaz landed in their first fight but that never dropped him. It wasn't a turning point in the fight since he also spent most of round 1 on the ground and never took any punches before it.

I have to agree with this, the optics of that punch were a lot worse than the actual damage, he was off balance and khabib caught him & immediately countered with a knee however that being said I don’t see how in a rematch with khabib the outcome would be different only if they went toe to toe in the first two rounds but khabib will just take him to the deck again and the fight will stay on the ground

Mellor wrote: »
    Is debating various interpretations of JK tweets becoming the new "it's only business/fishes/best wishes"

What else could he be referring to? He gives it away with 'good luck...it's a crazy journey.'

I think JK was expecting Conor to be back in Dublin and train with him after he returned from Iceland but sees Conor isn't that interested by how he's still going around the US posting pics with other coaches.

Conor has always been hittable, he took some heavy shots from Mendes and Poirier, the difference is Khabib is bigger and stronger.

Poirier landed around 3 punches, I don;t remember any being heavy or significant. But it's been a while.
    It wasn't a turning point in the fight since he also spent most of round 1 on the ground and never took any punches before it.
    He nullified Khabib advancement on the ground ibn R1. In R2, shortly after that strike, he wasn't able to nullify it. It's possible that was partly due to not being 100% "with it" after that punch.
    Regardless, whether that punch was the catalyst or not is irrelevant. Round 2 happened.
    I think JK was expecting Conor to be back in Dublin and train with him after he returned from Iceland but sees Conor isn't that interested by how he's still going around the US posting pics with other coaches.
    Training with other coaches/gyms is pretty standard. He's done it before when in America. Most hobbyists do the same.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcvWVR0gCxn/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BFcd8AdLzsJ/

Training with other coaches/gyms is pretty standard. He's done it before when in America. Most hobbyists do the same.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcvWVR0gCxn/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BFcd8AdLzsJ/

Except those other times Conor was still actively working with JK whereas he isn't now. JK could've been expecting Conor to have gotten over blaming his defense focused training for the khabib loss and be back working with him after his time in Iceland, so seeing him working with other coaches as he jetted back to Ireland probably hit a nerve hence the tweet.

Except those other times Conor was still actively working with JK whereas he isn't now. JK could've been expecting Conor to have gotten over blaming his defense focused training for the khabib loss and be back working with him after his time in Iceland, so seeing him working with other coaches as he jetted back to Ireland probably hit a nerve hence the tweet.
    You think JK was unaware that Conor was in America. A bit of a stretch tbh given how much they’ve both been on IG laltely.
    JK could have been expecting him back in HQ. But he could just as easily we aware he’d won’t be back until march, or at all.
    I just think you’re making lots of very specific assumptions.

You think JK was unaware that Conor was in America. A bit of a stretch tbh given how much they’ve both been on IG laltely.
    JK could have been expecting him back in HQ. But he could just as easily we aware he’d won’t be back until march, or at all.
    I just think you’re making lots of very specific assumptions.

What else could the tweet be about? Unless its just JK looking for some attention it must be about Conor. 'If after some time' = Since khabib loss. 'crazy journey' is how he always refers to conors mma career.

What else could the tweet be about? Unless its just JK looking for some attention it must be about Conor. 'If after some time' = Since khabib loss. 'crazy journey' is how he always refers to conors mma career.

I'm not talking about whether a vague tweet refets to Conor or not.
    I'm talking about the jump from the tweet to "JK expected him back in the gym and it hit a nerve to see him training at other gyms".
    The latter is very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You'd swear Conor was the only one to ever train at a different gym while in another country..

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Any chance it's aimed at Artem? He just moved to a new organisation and JK hasn't mentioned it.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You'd swear Conor was the only one to ever train at a different gym while in another country..

I train in a different gym at lunchtime. Better start watching out for coded tweets from my coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I train in a different gym at lunchtime. Better start watching out for coded tweets from my coach.
    Ex-coach you mean, if you're already training at another gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Joe Rogan says Conor v Cerrone a done deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

At the minute JK is far too busy to be any way concerned with what McGregor is at, he's rolling around the west coast with his family and seems to be keeping out of trouble which is positive imo.

This week JK is in the final stages of prep with a load of fighters who are on the Bellator card this coming Saturday, the tweet could have been about his postman who has decided to take a desk job for all we know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

unlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It's entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Thought Conor's post about 'self-education' was pointed too, but who knows...

I hope himself and JK's relationship endures. Personality-wise, they seem an unlikely combo but likely there's great strength in that - doubtless Conor has enough people telling him he's the champ-champ every minute and some objective counsel is then more necessary than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Thought Conor's post about 'self-education' was pointed too, but who knows...

I hope himself and JK's relationship endures. Personality-wise, they seem an unlikely combo but likely there's great strength in that - doubtless Conor has enough people telling him he's the champ-champ every minute and some objective counsel is then more necessary than ever.

How do you know jk isn't the one telling him he's the goat as opposed to telling him some home truths?

Personally, I think he could do with some a fresh approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I highly doubt conor sees himself as the champ champ after the beating khabib handed out on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I highly doubt conor sees himself as the champ champ after the beating khabib handed out on him.
    He still refers to himself as the champ champ... & the head coach of Team Alpha Male...
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1097323236524584960

• Advertisement

He also tweeted this the other night. Surprised there's no interpretive leaps

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1097336667927588865

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement