Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    He either did or didn't compete in Ireland in 2015, who cares. It's 2019. Lots of people would like to see him compete again.
    Id like to see this 2015 footage.
    But also see him go now in 2019. Everyone's happy.
    I'll upload footage later on
    Good stuff.
    I thought you meant it was on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He was going to do the ibjjf open in Rome back in 2015 but the UFC wouldn't let him iirc, that's what I want to see. Him in a grappling event these days it'd be class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Mellor wrote: »
    Id like to see this 2015 footage.
    But also see him go now in 2019. Everyone's happy.

Good stuff.
    I thought you meant it was on the internet.

No mate I've it on a Memory stick I picked up of a friend in Fantom MMA. I'll upload it later tonight

No mate I've it on a Memory stick I picked up of a friend in Fantom MMA. I'll upload it later tonight
    If it's footage that has not been floating around online I would definitely enjoy seeing it, no matter the year.

If it's footage that has not been floating around online I would definitely enjoy seeing it, no matter the year.

It's not online has a few SBG lads on it. I'll fire it up will upload to hosting site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t think any1 wants to see Conor compete in a bjj tournament.
    He is the biggest star (still!!) in ufc so I want see see him compete in ufc. There are so many great opponents and am sure his aim is to be lightweight champ again.
    It would be great if he could fight 3, or even 2 times per year. In 5 years time he will be past it.
    I know it’s a tough business and he is the one putting his healing the line, but as an Irishman I can say I’ve never been so entertained and excited by any other Irish sports star in my life.
    At one stage it looked like he was gonna be the biggest sports star in the world, but he went too inactive after the mayweather fight. Personally I think he should have utilized his boxing training from that straight away, defended his title by that year end and been too sharp in the boxing for any of Khabib, Tony, Max to touch him.
    Am hoping he will headline Las Vegas in fight week in summer. And then back to MSG for another shot at Khabib for the title.

I don’t think any1 wants to see Conor compete in a bjj tournament.
    He is the biggest star (still!!) in ufc so I want see see him compete in ufc. There are so many great opponents and am sure his aim is to be lightweight champ again.
    It would be great if he could fight 3, or even 2 times per year. In 5 years time he will be past it.
    I know it’s a tough business and he is the one putting his healing the line, but as an Irishman I can say I’ve never been so entertained and excited by any other Irish sports star in my life.
    At one stage it looked like he was gonna be the biggest sports star in the world, but he went too inactive after the mayweather fight. Personally I think he should have utilized his boxing training from that straight away, defended his title by that year end and been too sharp in the boxing for any of Khabib, Tony, Max to touch him.
    Am hoping he will headline Las Vegas in fight week in summer. And then back to MSG for another shot at Khabib for the title.

Nobody wants to see him compete BJJ? That's a huge statement I know of 10 or more on this thread alone who'd bite your hand off to see him. Any BJJ fan would love to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Judging from his latest Instagram post. I think it looks rather clear that he's leaving sbg,

The change of scenery is probably what he needs at this stage of his career.

Not a dig at sbg or kavanagh as such. Perhaps he just needs a new voice to get through to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I reckon he is definitely laying the groundwork to leave SBG and I think it'll be great for him. There's no upside to him staying with SBG really. Dublin is a toxic place for him to be at the minute. John is decent lower level coach at best and his sparring partners are nowhere near the standard to be preparing you for the likes of Khabib or Ferguson. McGregor has done brilliantly to have the career he's had to date with the training partners at his disposal. I was watching the Queally vs Price fight the other night and had to take a moment to comprehend that Queally was essentially his main training partner for Khabib. The mind boggles.

My only worry is, will he try and essentially build his own team where he captains the ship. That probably won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The fact he had no posts up about the lads at Bellator said it all really.

Hopefully his heads back It, from his latest posts he seems to be going the right way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There is no way he’s gonna blank all his teammates and coach that easy.

He always speaks about loyalty, he’s still close to all the sbg lads.

He relocated from Concorde and I've heard he's not been in quite some time due to convenience if where he lives. I'd be confident to say his days at SBG are done.

He relocated from Concorde and I've heard he's not been in quite some time due to convenience if where he lives. I'd be confident to say his days at SBG are done.

There's surely more to it than that? An ex world champion relocating gyms purely due to the commute.

There's surely more to it than that? An ex world champion relocating gyms purely due to the commute.

There is yea, a guy he's in a bit of stick situation is training there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was he ever really a world champ if he never defended either belt?

I know but people suggesting he didn’t go to Bellator to support his teammates because he’s finished with sbg and has blanked them all.

I doubt he’d do that to them.

I know but people suggesting he didn’t go to Bellator to support his teammates because he’s finished with sbg and has blanked them all.

I doubt he’d do that to them.

I don't think he's blanking anyone. I'd say he's looking at his career sliding down the ****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

More likely he's figuring things out rather than blanking old team mates. Taking a bit of time and space.
    He's made some really poor decisions the past couple of years.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to get out of Ireland with his family to try and put a lot of stuff behind him, and concentrate on the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

He talks about a lot of things.
    He talks about staying ready so he doesn’t have to get ready.
    He talks about being humble.
    He talks about keeping his inner circle small.
    So just because he talks about loyalty o wouldn’t take it as gospel.

bono_v wrote: »
    He talks about a lot of things.
    He talks about staying ready so he doesn’t have to get ready.
    He talks about being humble.
    He talks about keeping his inner circle small.
    So just because he talks about loyalty o wouldn’t take it as gospel.

AHH Humble. The SBG lads love that word

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Was he ever really a world champ if he never defended either belt?

Yes

Effects wrote: »
    More likely he's figuring things out rather than blanking old team mates. Taking a bit of time and space.
    He's made some really poor decisions the past couple of years.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to get out of Ireland with his family to try and put a lot of stuff behind him, and concentrate on the future.

Be delighted if that’s the story.

Although a lot of people would love to see him fall totally over the edge and loose it altogether Tyson style, I’d like to see to see someone take a step back and get their life back on track.

But that’s not a good news story unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

All I know is I'm delighted that this is the drama we're discussing - where he's training/going to train because he seems to have the bit between the teeth again although early days at the same time. Better than seeing him up a treehouse and seeing whatsapp screenshots doing the rounds.

America would suit him for this time of his career too but reckon he'll want his kids growing up in Ireland, unless it was for a few years while he gets the most out of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I gotta say i have been a big critic of Mcgregor the past 18 months or so but seeing his renewed focus and attitude based on his training the past few months gives me some hope that he still has a lot to give to the sport.

Lets hope its true as a motivated and hungry Mcgregor is great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ricero wrote: »
    I gotta say i have been a big critic of Mcgregor the past 18 months or so but seeing his renewed focus and attitude based on his training the past few months gives me some hope that he still has a lot to give to the sport.

Lets hope its true as a motivated and hungry Mcgregor is great to watch.
    ricero's been hacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

He's actually making good jokes as well. For the last 2 and a half years it's been mostly "Bow to the King lowly peasants" kind of nonsense. At least he called himself the Burger King and not Champ Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

dermob wrote: »
    Have Artem and Connor fallen out?

Artem isn't mentioned in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

Artem isn't mentioned in that

It was in Tony’s comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement