Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dermob wrote: »

Look closer Lenny!

#FakeNews

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

That's a parody account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ASOT wrote: »
    That's a parody account.
    On twitter or boards? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Artem Choo Choo Lobov. Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

Artem Choo Choo Lobov. Really?

My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

relocate to america and get new gym is a dramatic move to make, but makes sense both socially and mma wise
    will be interesting to see what team he ends up with
    this could re ignite him
    a wise looking move , fresh start

sc86 wrote: »
    relocate to america and get new gym is a dramatic move to make, but makes sense both socially and mma wise
    will be interesting to see what team he ends up with
    this could re ignite him
    a wise looking move , fresh start

Will be a small team that takes him on Kings, AKA, TAM, Won't touch him aswell as a few more he's insulted alot of sets ups. Mark Henry too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

be surprised if he would want to join them anyway , to much history as you say

sc86 wrote: »
    be surprised if he would want to join them anyway , to much history as you say

You'll be surprised that not many want him. Sociopaths aren't usually popular in combat sports they can upset a hole gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

Not convinced he'll be moving gym, honestly think he'll staying with SBG but as others have mentioned, I find it very odd he made no mention of Bellator at all.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Not convinced he'll be moving gym, honestly think he'll staying with SBG but as others have mentioned, I find it very odd he made no mention of Bellator at all.

Mate he won't be back at SBG for the foreseeable

If he does go I'd say Duke Roufous would be his port of call.

Can anyone tell me why on his new post everyone from Queally to Keith Joyce and every bum lick in between is giving it all your the master of your destiny, your skillset is crazy.

Guys a good martial artist still very young in it. Give the guy productive feedback and don't be sheep. They literally must line up to post. And not even a like from Rochy, John or anyone with sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can anyone tell me why on his new post everyone from Queally to Keith Joyce and every bum lick in between is giving it all your the master of your destiny, your skillset is crazy.

Guys a good martial artist still very young in it. Give the guy productive feedback and don't be sheep. They literally must line up to post. And not even a like from Rochy, John or anyone with sense.

A lot of them are trying to gain traction and get more followers off of Conor's steam. They know as well as anyone that their only chance to shine is by standing close to the spotlight on Conor.

Peter Queally was co-main event of a Bellator card at the weekend simply because he's Conor's mate. He knows which side his bread is buttered!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of them are trying to gain traction and get more followers off of Conor's steam. They know as well as anyone that their only chance to shine is by standing close to the spotlight on Conor.

Peter Queally was co-main event of a Bellator card at the weekend simply because he's Conor's mate. He knows which side his bread is buttered!
    I get the hole promotion but Jesus his posse from crumlin are getting in on it now. Ego is the devil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If he does go I'd say Duke Roufous would be his port of call.

That would be a good call but can you really see Conor going anywhere near Milwaukee ? I can't see hin relocating to there ,

Has to be somewhere on the west coast for his life style wouldn't you think ?

I reckon he will go down the down the Dillashaw route

Instead of joining a set gym team pay for coaches in each area to look after him , Im sure there would be a hell of a lot of coaches wanting to work with him, don't forget its all about the money,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its an age old problem, a star is surrounded by yes men that make him feel good. If Kavanagh does train him he needs proper isolation rocky 4 style :) and get rid of the crap. I am assuming latest social media means he took care of all things and has no nasty surprise waiting for him in a court for example.

If he goes to America there will be a lot of people getting old footage of his interviews saying he would never leave Ireland for training etc and his small circle etc crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    If he goes to America there will be a lot of people getting old footage of his interviews saying he would never leave Ireland for training etc and his small circle etc crap.

Yeah lots of people will and it's very understandable. He was very 'high and mighty' in those days, criticising people who switched up coaches. New coaches benefit sportspeople across all sports, it was a ridiculous mindset he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

dulux99 wrote: »
    Yeah lots of people will and it's very understandable. He was very 'high and mighty' in those days, criticising people who switched up coaches. New coaches benefit sportspeople across all sports, it was a ridiculous mindset he had.

It's not really ridiculous at all,

Im not a big fan of Conor at all but anyone in the fight game weather BJJ, boxing, anything will tell you going into fights you need to have 100% confidence in yourself and 100% confidence in how you prepared,
    He was just reinforcing to himself he was doing the correct thing,

We live in a mad world now that people have a go at you if you decide do you know what iv grown as a person and now iv decided to do something different ,

Its no shame as you get older to decide what you once said may not be correct, he'd be a fool to stick with something just because he said it was the only way once,

• Advertisement

It's fairly obvious where these comments came from though. He was indoctrinated by Kavanagh, who has said all the same things verbatim.

That would be a good call but can you really see Conor going anywhere near Milwaukee ? I can't see hin relocating to there ,

Has to be somewhere on the west coast for his life style wouldn't you think ?

I reckon he will go down the down the Dillashaw route

Instead of joining a set gym team pay for coaches in each area to look after him , Im sure there would be a hell of a lot of coaches wanting to work with him, don't forget its all about the money,

Area wise your spot on hahaha sort of hillbillyish but he's a good relationship between both.

It's not really ridiculous at all,

Im not a big fan of Conor at all but anyone in the fight game weather BJJ, boxing, anything will tell you going into fights you need to have 100% confidence in yourself and 100% confidence in how you prepared,
    He was just reinforcing to himself he was doing the correct thing,

We live in a mad world now that people have a go at you if you decide do you know what iv grown as a person and now iv decided to do something different ,

Its no shame as you get older to decide what you once said may not be correct, he'd be a fool to stick with something just because he said it was the only way once,

The point is he was genuinely slating other fighters for switching camps and now he's on the cusp of doing it himself. It's pretty straightforward. He'll get called out for it, people will laugh, McGregor himself probably wont be arsed, and everyone will forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The point is he was genuinely slating other fighters for switching camps and now he's on the cusp of doing it himself. It's pretty straightforward. He'll get called out for it, people will laugh, McGregor himself probably wont be arsed, and everyone will forget about it.
    He's no more on the cusp of it than he suggested in the youtube video posted above, he's trained with a few gyms whilst in the states & one of his training partners in Danis, we've nothing other to go on other than a perceived frostiness between himself and Kavanagh but it seems they've always been a bit distant anyway.

Time will tell but stating he's 'on the cusp' of leaving is speculative

D'Agger wrote: »
    He's no more on the cusp of it than he suggested in the youtube video posted above, he's trained with a few gyms whilst in the states & one of his training partners in Danis, we've nothing other to go on other than a perceived frostiness between himself and Kavanagh but it seems they've always been a bit distant anyway.

Time will tell but stating he's 'on the cusp' of leaving is speculative

We'll see. He's very clever with his use of social media, all of these little pointed remarks about poor preperation aren't being dropped by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

To be honest its good to see him back training regularly with no fight lined up.

The last number of fights he was off for far too long and only training a few weeks in the build up. The fact he is so good and put in so much work early on in his career got him through most of it.

Him just training and enjoying life without the session and bad distractions will be great for him. No pressure of an immediate fight until he is ready.

It takes years to develop top level cardio capacity, reaction and timing , it can't be reached taking months and months off and having a 8 or 12 week camp. Not if you want to be up there with the worlds top athletes.

Maybe he realised he need to get out of Dublin away from the parties and his mates to make more cash,
    We all know he is loaded but another lose would do major damage to the brand he needs to get a few wins back to get the public on board again , So he needs to get the head down and train like he used to,

I wonder does the missus have part in them going to the states
    Id say she is sick of all the stories about all these other kids and women and all that nonsens, Dublin is a small place no way she hasn't come across all the wat ap stories ,

Is it any coincidence that there have been no picture of his daughter on there Instagram when there is a women claiming her daughter is Conor's . You'd feel they are protecting her form people doing comparison of the two kids,
    Can't blame them for getting away state side where it's a non story ,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: Yourdeadright - banned for a week for ignoring the multiple warnings and bringing up a non MMA related topic. Not gonna keep repeating myself lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

While the common theme in MMA seems to be 'iron sharpens iron' I do think Conor has benefited from being around the likes of Ward, Queally and Artem who while steady lower level fighters, they've allowed him to hone his timing, distance control etc by practicing on these lads not on his level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I never buy the 'have to train with the best to be the best' narrative that gets pushed sometimes, as you say there's definitely benefits to being the best guy in the room.

Cejudo, TJ, Max, Conor, Ferguson, DJ, Whittaker, Adesanya etc names off the top of my head, high level fighters or champs who are the best in their gym or just bounce around to different trainers/gyms for what they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement