Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I don't get how people think he's leaving/has left SBG.
    He on his hols in America and getting some training in while he's there in various gym's, which he has done before.
    He hasn't been up in Concorde as he has no fight coming up and Naas is nearer, also he has ownership stakes there.

It's not like him and JK are BFF's, they're coach and fighter.

Whole pile of speculation from that.

John's on here why not let him answer for himself.

John?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

JK is struggling to deal with Conor dissing him on social media posts so is trying to play it off as something he's letting Conor do, as if he can control it and is just being a good coach by letting Conor train elsewhere. Conor saying he let 'outside influence' dictate how he fights pretty much sums it up. If he considered JK to still be his head coach he wouldn't refer to him as an outside influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

John's on here why not let him answer for himself.

John?

I'd be surprised if John still checks in here with any sort of regularity. The last time he posted was probably about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't follow him on social media but I'm intrigued, what is he saying that's 'dissing' Kavanagh? I don't think I've seen it posted here.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if John still checks in here with any sort of regularity. The last time he posted was probably about 2 years ago.

He's on the last 2 pages

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't follow him on social media but I'm intrigued, what is he saying that's 'dissing' Kavanagh? I don't think I've seen it posted here.

Its well known that conor has blamed his coaches for how he trained in his preparation for khabib, too defensive and let offensive opportunities pass in the fight. He brought it up recently 2 days ago in an instagram post.

"I could spend full rounds attached to the back. Through all ranges. Snatching the neck. Breaking posture. Generally mauling anything I touched.
    For some reason though, I went into camp and focused solely on defense. I trained to disengage. To Anti grapple. To Avoid.
    I disrespected my own attacking game and became a stranger to it. I allowed outside influence filter into my own thinking.
    I can pull a dead horse out of a ditch if I latch around it’s head why would I not snatch up the neck? Why would I disengage?
    Why would I avoid anything?
    I don’t know what I was thinking back then.
    But I am thinking clear now.
    I will not make that mistake again."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He's on the last 2 pages

Must have a new login so because this was his old one

https://touch.boards.ie/user/788160

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

spix wrote: »
    Its well known that conor has blamed his coaches for how he trained in his preparation for khabib, too defensive and let offensive opportunities pass in the fight. He brought it up recently 2 days ago in an instagram post.

"I could spend full rounds attached to the back. Through all ranges. Snatching the neck. Breaking posture. Generally mauling anything I touched.
    For some reason though, I went into camp and focused solely on defense. I trained to disengage. To Anti grapple. To Avoid.
    I disrespected my own attacking game and became a stranger to it. I allowed outside influence filter into my own thinking.
    I can pull a dead horse out of a ditch if I latch around it’s head why would I not snatch up the neck? Why would I disengage?
    Why would I avoid anything?
    I don’t know what I was thinking back then.
    But I am thinking clear now.
    I will not make that mistake again."

If you lose as convincingly as he did you need to find faults somewhere if he thinks he can win a rematch, game plan and whoever came up with it would be top of list. I didn't think the game plan was a good one but going the offensive grappling route isn't the way either.

I won't claim to know if he has left or is thinking of leaving.

I think it's fair to say he wouldn't have liked Kavanagh's comments in the Kimmage interview. To have his coach saying he shouldn't fight again and he's slowing down etc, that won't have gone down well with him. It would not surprise me if some of the leeches that surround him took advantage of those comments to ingratiate themelves further.

I also think for Kavanagh to have any ounce of credibility or decency, he absolutely needed to give that Kimmage interview. It was long overdue.

We'll see what happens. I don't see Conor ever having another 'head coach'. I also don't see him joining a gym of animals and being just one of the gang. I can see him just hiring guys and running the show himself.

We also have consider whether they are contractually linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

John needs to issue a statement. Most involved in the MMA scene in Dublin are well aware the situation. This isn't helping anyone.

And what is the situating then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Wouldn't "outside influences" refer to someone outside his camp, and not his head coach?

Wouldn't "outside influences" refer to someone outside his camp, and not his head coach?

He's referring to outside himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Would love an update/insight from wonderfulife on everything since he last posted tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He also tweets then after it to ensure the message is blurred. He is gone from SBG
    The follow up tweet was about fighters training at other gyms. It led on from the first.

It's obvious the wrong approach but many coaches have that sort of attitude wen it comes to people training elsewhere. It's even more ingrained in BJJ.

He's also saying "I did this, I did that. Everything is "I". He let it happen. People are fitting everything to the narrative.
    he outside influence could just as easily be Khabib's reputation

Mellor wrote: »
    The follow up tweet was about fighters training at other gyms. It led on from the first.

It's obvious the wrong approach but many coaches have that sort of attitude wen it comes to people training elsewhere. It's even more ingrained in BJJ.

He's also saying "I did this, I did that. Everything is "I". He let it happen. People are fitting everything to the narrative.
    he outside influence could just as easily be Khabib's reputation

Personally I think its obvious when he says 'outside influence' he means listening to his coaches advice on how he should approach khabib and limiting his ability, its obvious from other things he said and what JK said about the fight as well. He admitted he trained Conor to be defensive and thats what Conor is complaining about doing. He's saying "I" did that etc but only because of the outside influence which suddenly showed up once camp started.

Personally I think its obvious when he says 'outside influence' he means listening to his coaches advice on how he should approach khabib and limiting his ability, its obvious from other things he said and what JK said about the fight as well. He admitted he trained Conor to be defensive and thats what Conor is complaining about doing. He's saying "I" did that etc but only because of the outside influence which suddenly showed up once camp started.

Let's say that JK influenced him to be defence.
    What influenced JK to push him in that direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I wonder is the contentions about tactics, however disagreeable, now more a straw-man argument than anything.

I imagine the Kimmage interview was very much a sore point - a very public disparagement. But doubtless JK also felt compelled from a personal moral standpoint to address and appraise the events surrounding Conor of 2017/18 somewhat honestly. To be fair, he was fairly diplomatic considering all that happened in that time.

Mellor wrote: »
    Let's say that JK influenced him to be defence.
    What influenced JK to push him in that direction?

Well hopefully its not a lack of confidence in conors ability. That wouldn't say much for his training ability after 10 years that his coach thinks he shouldn't even bother training for submission attempts knowing there's a very good chance he'll end up on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I don't know if I have consumed narcotics tonight

Please tell me it's not true that Conor is making a movie about the Murrays called don't judge a book by it's cover.

wheres this footage you wereon about ? conor bjj, have you uploaded that ? or am i missing it. i could be to be fair

Well hopefully its not a lack of confidence in conors ability. That wouldn't say much for his training ability after 10 years that his coach thinks he shouldn't even bother training for submission attempts knowing there's a very good chance he'll end up on the ground.
    Spending time on submissions, is time you aren't spending on something else. On the ground is a broad idea. There’s a big difference between being in mount, half guard top, back, side control etc. Looking at the positions he was likely to be in. Framing and escaping is probably more valuable. That wouldn’t be a unusual approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not really the purpose of this thread but there is a proper arsehole element in SBG. I've witnessed it at local shows and on social media with local fighters from other gyms.

Respect this, respect that and then slagging fellow martial artists in the next post and all their mates piling on. Even their "big name" pros do be at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Care to name whom you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Care to name whom you are talking about?

I will just say it was fellas I'd have cheered on and respected beforehand. Not saying everyone from the gym is like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Has McGregor called out anyone for last night yet ? He usually calls out someone to stay relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jesus,. Twitter account called "Conor McGregor News"

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Cowboy seems to think he has a fight date with him for July.

Romors of Mcgregor having knee issues though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Romors of Mcgregor having knee issues though

That's just a smokescreen so people don't focus on his cardio issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

martyos121 wrote: »

I was at that carnival and didn't see it :/ how'd I miss that one!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement