Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

8:20

Says he wants to fight Conor, won't do it in boxing, won't do it in MMA, hopes BKFC could be a something in the middle.

Cool story. Never gonna happen. "Paulie says" doesn't equal "is gonna happen".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

8:20
    Says he wants to fight Conor, won't do it in boxing, won't do it in MMA, hopes BKFC could be a something in the middle.

He's talking about the ruleset, not the promotion. He didn't even refer to it as BKFC (in that section). He's saying that hybrid ruleset is halfway between boxing and MMA. Nothing in that suggests he thinks McGregor can/will sign with BKFC.

Whatever Paulie has to do to keep a fight with McGregor open is between him and BKFC. Release clauses, % cut, even.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thread closed to clean up this mess - expect repercussions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Right Folks,

Posts have been deleted and punishments handed out.

This recent discussion is not MMA related and is not relevant to this forum - You have been told enough times but it still seems to be falling on deaf ears.

NO FURTHER DISCUSSION OF IT HERE.

Please be aware that deleted posts are still visible to MMA Mods, Sports CMods, and Admins.

Thread re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ha, I thought the main issue was that it was talking about something that hadn't been before the courts. I thought arrest it the US would be fair game.

I ended up watching the Dennis Siver fight yesterday evening. What I'd give to see that Conor in a fight again. I'll have stick to reruns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What a weird rule lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Pussyhands wrote: »
    What a weird rule lol.

I do agree to an extent.

Yes the forum should be directly about his MMA career but as it stands he is currently touring around the states training in different gyms with different coaches and incidents whilst on this tour should be discussed as they fall part in parcel with it.

Disclaimer: im aware it was his mams birthday and the whole family where there but he isnt there just for that and prior to this he has been training and will continue to do so with his FAST programme etc which ultimately involve his MMA life and potential next fight

sexmag wrote: »
    I do agree to an extent.

Yes the forum should be directly about his MMA career but as it stands he is currently touring around the states training in different gyms with different coaches and incidents whilst on this tour should be discussed as they fall part in parcel with it.

Disclaimer: im aware it was his mams birthday and the whole family where there but he isnt there just for that and prior to this he has been training and will continue to do so with his FAST programme etc which ultimately involve his MMA life and potential next fight

Agreed. Just wondering if there was any discussion on his whiskey?

Hypothetically if McGregor announced tomorrow he was joining WWE it wouldn't be allowed to be discussed because it's not MMA related..

That's not even mentioning the fact that things he does outside of MMA are related to his MMA career. Things like this are talking points related to his state of mind, focus and priorities and also the fact criminal charges will impact his ability to enter the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I saw on the online news on independent.ie that some MMA fighter might be otherwise preoccupied for up to 15 years.

This would probably mean he could not participate in any MMA fights for up to 15 years.

Is that MMA-related enough to post?

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw the little clip of him out running after being released from jail, his weight as 160 and he's in mid FAST program, surely has to be gearing up for a fight while contracts get sorted. Hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Just wondering if there was any discussion on his whiskey?

Hypothetically if McGregor announced tomorrow he was joining WWE it wouldn't be allowed to be discussed because it's not MMA related...
    His whiskey, or an WWE appearance isn't a matter beforevthe courts.
    Key difference that's you've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Effects wrote: »

I ended up watching the Dennis Siver fight yesterday evening. What I'd give to see that Conor in a fight again. I'll have stick to reruns.

Snap!

God he looked so sharp and loose. Even the way he entered the ring, doing the gorilla walk, he looked savage.
    There was an instance where Conor lost his footing/was tripped by Siver where he fell, and the speed at which he righted himself was astounding.

I know he was fighting at FW but he looked so sharp.

Mellor wrote: »

"the recent discussion is not MMA related and is not relevant to this forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Maybe not, but it really should be criminal to sell his whiskey at the price they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Me personally im shocked anyone would make such claims about him like that. Its completely out of character.
    Btw its come to stage thread should be locked completely. Conors been arrested more times than he fought in mma in 2-3 years. Lock it up till he agrees to a mma fight until then theres nothing news worthy only his arrests, love child/children and being prone to a runny nose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

dave1982 wrote: »
    Me personally im shocked anyone would make such claims about him like that. Its completely out of character.
    Btw its come to stage thread should be locked completely. Conors been arrested more times than he fought in mma in 2-3 years. Lock it up till he agrees to a mma fight until then theres nothing news worthy only his arrests, love child/children and being prone to a runny nose

I find it crazy we need to go to r/mma or other message boards to properly discuss an Irish fighter. Its not like libel is an issue. He WAS arrested. Seems completely OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The man has transcended MMA, it represents a tiny portion of who he has become both from a business and personal perspective, so it's a given that people should be able to discuss all aspects of his life/career that are made public. Clamp down on the slagging, but censoring people in respect of discussing his very public behaviour and business seems a touch heavy handed.

I wouldn't go into a Michael Jackson thread and expect it to be limited to chat about his music given at present he isn't in the public eye for those reasons, same principle applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

D.Q wrote: »
    I find it crazy we need to go to r/mma or other message boards to properly discuss an Irish fighter. Its not like libel is an issue. He WAS arrested. Seems completely OTT.

If you think the mods here are bad the mods on r/mma are 10 times worse. Place has gone to the dogs it's just little cliques of hyperbole and condescending on others.

"the recent discussion is not MMA related and is not relevant to this forum"

Read it in conjunction with previous warnings. It's not difficult to follow.
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Maybe not, but it really should be criminal to sell his whiskey at the price they do...
    If people are willing to pay it...

Same way pubs get away with their pricing. People are willing to pay a 500+% mark up on cheap booze.

Raekwondo wrote: »
    If you think the mods here are bad the mods on r/mma are 10 times worse. Place has gone to the dogs it's just little cliques of hyperbole and condescending on others.

Yeah, it's absolutely terrible. Just a load on basement dwellers waiting to copy and paste the same Hunto rant into every thread. Jumping from one hype train to the next.

There's good forums on Reddit, but that's not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There was on post here that should have been kept yesterday, purely because it was comedy gold.

''If it was a Nokia 3210 he'd have gassed and tapped out''

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

waiting to copy and paste the same Hunto rant into every thread.

This drives me absolutely mental

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

D'Agger wrote: »
    This drives me absolutely mental

How bout u...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Now we are on about reddit forums haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's a thread in After Hours people can use for this stuff anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

There's a thread in After Hours people can use for this stuff anyway

But this thread is about Conor Mcgregor. You can't just separate the sport from the man. Bizarre that a discussion about his arrest is not allowed on this forum and even mentioning public news can be met with a threat of a ban. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

But this thread is about Conor Mcgregor. You can't just separate the sport from the man. Bizarre that a discussion about his arrest is not allowed on this forum and even mentioning public news can be met with a threat of a ban. :confused:

What’s bizarre about it?? It’s a thread in a sports forum. Most fans of the sport and people who have been frequenting this forum for a few years have little interest in Heat Magazine style gossip and BS.

There are plenty other forums on boards.ie that allow and even welcome celeb gossip. Feel free to go there if the MMA forum focuses too much on MMA for your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

John_D80 wrote: »
    What’s bizarre about it?? It’s a thread in a sports forum. Most fans of the sport and people who have been frequenting this forum for a few years have little interest in Heat Magazine style gossip and BS.

There are plenty other forums on boards.ie that allow and even welcome celeb gossip. Feel free to go there if the MMA forum focuses too much on MMA for your liking.

I remember visiting this forum a year or so back. There was an MMA fighter engaged in a non-MMA bout (boxing). A thread about him/the fight seemed to be pretty active. And people were not being directed to the boxing forum despite it not being an MMA fight.

The fact that there is a thread dedicated to a person, and the thread is active, when the athlete himself is not actually active (in the sense of scheduled fight or recently completed fight), would lead one to assume that it is for generic things related to that person. If it's not allowed then it would be easy to close it and then open up new ones when there is an "athlete vs other competitor" bout mooted or scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This whole thing is just so sad. Plenty of people make snide remarks that he always had some kind of scumbaggery inside him, some make even snider remarks about his hometown and the people he grew up with, etc, but in my view this is just what can easily when people get catapulted into the mega-rich "circuit" at a young age and don't know how to handle it. I don't believe that any of his recent behaviour is innate or that this has always been lurking under his personality - he's become such a different Conor in the last year or so to the Conor we once knew, I find it ridiculous to suggest that this is merely his normal self or his "mask slipping" or whatever.

Fame and riches routinely f*ck people up, people who were otherwise completely down to earth, normal and nice people. It's happened time and time again, it seems obvious to me that that's what's happened here.

I'm still not giving up on him and I still hope to see him fight again sooner rather than later, but I just feel sorry for him and his loved ones at this stage tbh. He appears to have gone off the rails in a very well-trodden trajectory for someone young, rich and famous - and one suspects that if this whole episode of his life manages to derail his MMA career properly, he'll look back on it all in a few years once he's fallen off the roller coaster and massively regret some of the decisions he's made.

Do people reckon that the Mayweather fight was the catalyst for this episode, or did it begin earlier or later? I don't recall seeing any signs of his personality falling apart like this prior to that, and it seemed to begin relatively soon afterwards. Some will point to the bottle throwing incident at UFC 202 or the whole Twitter spat and being pulled from 200 after refusing to do the pressers, but for me, his real descent into BS began in and around the time of the bus incident. I personally didn't notice any clear signs of anything brewing before that. Possibly the stress and various lifestyle changes which accompany becoming a parent for the first time were another catalyst?

I really, really hope he can get his act together and return to the Octagon as the fighter we've all loved for years, but I'm starting to feel that he needs some kind of intervention from those close to him if that's going to happen. Some will argue that a criminal conviction from this latest incident and some time in the slammer might "straighten him out" so to speak, but if that happens, his UFC career is probably over given the travel restrictions which would follow. If he manages to get out of this without that happening, it's going to take some of his close friends or relatives standing up to him and giving him some fairly harsh pep talks, IMO. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think I've ever seen someone break out of this classic "celebrity gone wild" pattern on their own. He needs help.

We were all fairly relieved at the time when the bus incident didn't postpone his UFC return for as long as some of us feared, but I'm starting to wonder if that sent him the wrong message and made him feel invincible - perhaps if Dana & co had told him that they'd need to see him straightening himself out before they'd give him another fight, this wouldn't be happening right now?

• Advertisement

this is the new policy as his train-wreck gains speed.

said policy is fluid and changeable at any moment according to the agenda.

First it was can't mention anything that wasn't published by recognised media, then went to MMA only items.

So little actual MMA news about him as others have commented.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement