Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zinc Cladding

Options
  • 18-10-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Folks,

I'm starting a new build in the new year & have a lot of Zinc cladding.

Has may used this recently? If so, have you encountered may issues with it?

Would be grateful of any tips anyone could pass on.

Can anyone recommend any providers & someone to install it?
    Also, what kind of wall buildup did you use behind zinc? Block or timber frame?

Thanks in advance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The first draft drawings for my (hopeful) new build also has quite a bit of zinc cladding.

The one comment I keep hearing about it - it’s very expensive. Approx €200 per sq/m I believe. I believe it can also be intricate and labour intensive to install.

I was recommended the following as a good quality but much cheaper alternative: https://catnic.com/products/ssr2-roofing-and-cladding/key-features-and-benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brianbrujones

Ya, it's expensive alright - 170 per sq.m is what I was working off. I also heard that getting it installed proper & weather tight can really add to the costs as well.
    Ya I was thinking of using a similar option, but I'm afraid it wouldn't look as well?

I could be mistaken, but think the guarantee on these type of products are only 30 years, whereas zinc is 70 years.... just another thing to consider I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thurn

Another option is a roof made in aluminium coated with zinc. It's much cheaper and the life of the product is longer because it's zinc coated. It has also the advantage that aluminium is easier to work at.
    This people use that product:

[snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If it's roof only and not highly visible you can use a PVC membrane with a standing seam that's stuck on to make it look like Zinc. This is the mega cheap option and should only be last resort. It may also have planning issues if the local authority want real zinc. Have used these on schools where zinc was way beyond the department of education's budget and it's fine. From the ground looking up you can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Looking at zinc for a large roof and possible wall cladding but it's quite expensive.

One thing I was wondering with the Catnic SSR2 alternative, will Irish builders/roofers be able to work with/install it?

The company runs training for builders but it's in Wales and I'm guessing no Irish roofers/builders will have been over for it.

Based on what I've seen it looks very easy to install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwd-yGXi1og

Not sure if it's been used at all in Ireland?

Some of the examples look pretty nice/close to zinc, but I'd have worries about how well it might wear over time:

https://catnic.com/products/ssr2-roofing-and-cladding/case-studies/the-moorings

• Advertisement
Advertisement