Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Cedar cladding

Options
  • 18-10-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Folks,

I'm starting a new build in the new year & hope to use Red Cedar cladding.

Has may used this recently? If so, would you recommend using red cedar? or is there a more durable timber out there?

Would be grateful of any tips anyone could pass on.

Can anyone recommend any providers & someone to install it?

Also, is it easy get custom made cladding profiles? Im looking for something like in pic attached - but most profiles i see on websites appear to be way different to this.

Thanks in advance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭briaineo

Hi Folks,

I'm starting a new build in the new year & hope to use Red Cedar cladding.

Has may used this recently? If so, would you recommend using red cedar? or is there a more durable timber out there?

Would be grateful of any tips anyone could pass on.

Can anyone recommend any providers & someone to install it?

Also, is it easy get custom made cladding profiles? Im looking for something like in pic attached - but most profiles i see on websites appear to be way different to this.

Thanks in advance...

Just a quick question on the picture: what width do you think those planks are?

There is a company in Kerry (snip) that I priced and they were the best price I got, can’t remember the other companies I called. Still havnt purchased any as of yet.

Just say the width of the boards in picture are approx 3 inch you could split 6 inch boards and regroove one side, That company in Kerry sells both 4inch and 6inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brianbrujones

Thanks for that Briaineo - I didn't come across them before - they look good.

Ya, suppose they would be 3 inch or maybe a bit smaller. I see that company do Custom Profiles to order - although, are the custom profiles much more expensive?

Your obviously looking at Cedar yourself, are you worried about what it's going to look like in a few years? It's a concern i have. If it's just a case of having to paint it once a year i dont mind, but is that enough to preserve the same look?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mega work in trying to keep the look: madness

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Trying to keep wood looking brown will break your heart. Pick something that will age gracefully to a nice silvery grey.

I quite like Siberian larch in varying widths. Can't find a pic now.

Also found a product recently called Sioo:x which claims to accelerate the weathering effect but prolongs the life. Don't know whether it's any good. Anyone used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭briaineo

This is probably the correct choice but $$$$

According to suppliers it’s cost effective over it lifetime

https://russwood.co.uk/exteriors/cladding/accoya/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I've used red cedar on my house as has a friend of mine so here's my few cents.

Covering your whole house in it won't be cheap.

The main reason I chose it is because I don't have to maintain it (much). Over time it will go a silvery grey.

It is also beautiful when new and it is possible to keep that look (with work). I previously used a stew made from Rhubard to remove the grey layer and got it back to the original. A lot of brush work but it did work.

There are some industrial products now to do this, one strips away the grey outer layer. There is another product that acts as a UV and rain barrier (it's sunlight that turns it grey) and you could put this on at the start.

I have never seen the profiles you mentioned. Mine was done with horizontal boards overlapped across each other. My friend put his up vertically, again overlapping. He reckons vertically is easier as the boards are laid flat over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regarding the profile, you want "double bevel rainscreen".

It gives the shadow gap without letting too much light or rain through.

Obvs the detailing behind it needs to be adjusted to compensate.

I'm ordering same at the moment, will PM you the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lumen wrote: »
    Regarding the profile, you want "double bevel rainscreen".

It gives the shadow gap without letting too much light or rain through.

Obvs the detailing behind it needs to be adjusted to compensate.

I'm ordering same at the moment, will PM you the supplier.
    Would you mind PM'ing me the supplier also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

briaineo wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the picture: what width do you think those planks are?

There is a company in Kerry (snip) that I priced and they were the best price I got, can’t remember the other companies I called. Still havnt purchased any as of yet.

Just say the width of the boards in picture are approx 3 inch you could split 6 inch boards and regroove one side, That company in Kerry sells both 4inch and 6inch.
    Would you mind PM'ing me the supplier in Kerry also

Advertisement