Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I see the IRA Sinn Fein candidate wants NI people to be permitted to vote in ROI presidential election.

Yeah right, that will happen.

Who would have thought, twenty years after the Good Friday Agreement, we'd have people in Ireland adopting the language of Ian Paisley circa 1998? Mad stuff altogether.

ULSTER%20Mc%2029.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I see the IRA Sinn Fein candidate wants NI people to be permitted to vote in ROI presidential election.

Her votes have doubled over the last week. The SF supporter base must have had to be told who their candidate is. She might end up polling better that McGuinness. As for the remark, heard it a million times before. Never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jeez big Ian has risen from beyond.

Your breath ****in stinks of earth big lad.

Jeez big Ian has risen from beyond.

Your breath ****in stinks of earth big lad.

That's what they call themselves!

• not gonna bother. didn’t even know there was an election till this ****e with peter Casey so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Berserker wrote: »
    That's what they call themselves!

Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why wouldn't people who identify as Irish be given a vote here? Did you not agree with the GFA? Do you agree with partition?

Link.

You are having a laugh, right! Haven't been on the SF site for a few years but you'll find plenty of examples on there. If they've moved it offline in an attempt to clean up their image, google will give you plenty of examples.
    Why wouldn't people who identify as Irish be given a vote here? Did you not agree with the GFA? Do you agree with partition?

It would have to be all Irish then, including people on the mainland UK/US etc. They Irish in NI are no more or less entitled than an Irish American from NY, for example, if it's going to go down that road. There was nothing in the GFA about giving the Irish in NI voting rights in presidential elections.

You are having a laugh, right! Haven't been on the SF site for a few years but you'll find plenty of examples on there. If they've moved it offline in an attempt to clean up their image, google will give you plenty of examples.
    Here's the waybackmachine record. You can get cached pages (untouched by devious shinner revisionists) of their site way back to when it first went live.
    https://web.archive.org/web/19980101000000*/sinnfein.ie
    It would have to be all Irish then, including people on the mainland UK/US etc. They Irish in NI are no more or less entitled than an Irish American from NY, for example, if it's going to go down that road. There was nothing in the GFA about giving the Irish in NI voting rights in presidential elections.

Why would it have to be? These things can be defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Passed his bus on the M7 early this morning, South bound around the Curragh.

That bus wouldn't have been cheap, and I'll be fierce surprised if Sean comes close to getting that moolah back tbh.
    The taxpayer funded his campaign through rte libel funds

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Am I right in saying boards.ie polls have been failry accurate in the past? If so I wouldn't be dropping out of the race if I was Peter Casey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bicr9ykfc3k11.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Wasn't going to bother but i think i will go out and vote for p casey met a few lads out last night and they said same thing .that was only bull by peter saying he was going to quit, peter didn't get to where he is today by quiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Loads of ppl have told me they are planning to vote Casey number 1 due to him speaking the truth about travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Lots of imbeciles voting for Casey, that probably hate trump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

AnneFrank wrote: »

One has nothing to do with the other.

Maybe the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its deplorable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

What happens if Casey withdraws but wins anyway? Apparently its too late to remove his name from the ballot.

As for his comments. I intend voting for him because I think the decision to grant ethnic status was a mistake. In the US this kind of thing leads to Identity Politics and political pandering. In diverse states, tough questions such as gangs e.g. MS13, the Cribs etc are not addressed because of a fear of being called racist if you raise them. Identity Politics in places like Chicago leads to no-go areas and ironically, minorities end up less not more protected by the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This campaign was dull, dull, dull until PC got very un-PC, but can you imagine is Miriam had of been running as well !!

Here's the waybackmachine record. You can get cached pages (untouched by devious shinner revisionists) of their site way back to when it first went live.
    https://web.archive.org/web/19980101000000*/sinnfein.ie

That's a handy little thing you have there Francie. The other poster can take a browse through later and take a look at this stuff to convince him or herself of the relationship between the two.

Why would it have to be? These things can be defined.

Well it'd be a slap in the face to people who consider themselves Irish from other parts of the world, if you gave it the people in NI only.

Miriam would have been a great candidate and that joan has a head in her that would stop a clock i don't know had she a hard life or what she has a very sad face, so its another bad bunch in My opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

kerryjack wrote: »
    Miriam would have been a great candidate and that joan has a head in her that would stop a clock i don't know had she a hard life or what she has a very sad face, so its another bad bunch in My opinion

I was totally against Miriam running but she would have done very well amidst the current candidates imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marie2505

Peter Casey

That's a handy little thing you have there Francie. The other poster can take a browse through later and take a look at this stuff to convince him or herself of the relationship between the two.

Ah, so you weren't able to find the website using the 'SF/IRA' tag. So you thought you would post an IRA t-shirt instead?

Excellent.

Well it'd be a slap in the face to people who consider themselves Irish from other parts of the world, if you gave it the people in NI only.

I think most reasonable Irish people would see the distinction and why it was being applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Loads of ppl have told me they are planning to vote Casey number 1 due to him speaking the truth about travellers

How foolish do you actually need to be to think that’s a good enough reason to vote for him?

Do people not realize that a) as president there’s not a damn thing he can actually do as regards travellers and b) once elected he will have to guard his words carefully. He even admitted that himself.

Ah, so you weren't able to find the website using the 'SF/IRA' tag. So you thought you would post an IRA t-shirt instead?

Excellent.

No, the first thing that comes up when you type 'Sinn Fein/IRA' into google is a link to a recent SF speech, on the official SF site addressing the IRA. Doubt that is proof enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

According to AH Peter Casey is going to be our new president.... and by quite a margin.

....... travellers and Mexicans are in for a rude awakening methinks!

No, the first thing that comes up when you type 'Sinn Fein/IRA' into google is a link to a recent SF speech, on the official SF site addressing the IRA. Doubt that is proof enough.

So Google uses the term. That isn't what you said though. Keep digging, a chara!

How foolish do you actually need to be to think that’s a good enough reason to vote for him?

Do people not realize that a) as president there’s not a damn thing he can actually do as regards travellers and b) once elected he will have to guard his words carefully. He even admitted that himself.

Maybe the presidency is the safest place for him? Stop him inciting hatred and telling porkies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

We have to vote for a new president this month??. Just shows how much I watch or listen to anything to do with Ireland

Ya you will see him at a few GAA matches the ploughing, and at bloom and thats about it like they say down here he is as useless as tits on a bull

I really hope he continues in the race.

I think deep down he's a civil spud. He's not into lying to make himself more attractive to voters (like some of the other candidates). He tells it like it is.

I was doing a bit of reading up on him, and it appears that he may have bought up to 16 properties that were about to be repossessed on families, and rented them back out to the occupants, so they could continue living in them. I know many will say he did that to make money, but I think that shows he has a caring attitude and isn't a vile, vindictive racist as some are trying to paint him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Maybe the presidency is the safest place for him? Stop him inciting hatred and telling porkies. :)

You may be on to something there!

Quite frankly I’d rather Donal Trump but clearly people don’t care about having integrity and being a proper statesman.

They just want an excuse to stick it to the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

NIMAN wrote: »

I think deep down he's a civil spud. He's not into lying to make himself more attractive to voters (like some of the other candidates). He tells it like it is.

I was doing a bit of reading up on him, and it appears that he may have bought up to 16 properties that were about to be repossessed on families, and rented them back out to the occupants,

Bet ye he didn't build stables in them

In fact, I'm just thinking about the debate with PK last week, and he's dropping back a bit in my estimation here, but he said when asked that he wasn't a landlord.

Now if he owns 16 properties and rents them to families who were about to get evicted, then he's a landlord.

I was doing a bit of reading up on him, and it appears that he may have bought up to 16 properties that were about to be repossessed on families, and rented them back out to the occupants, so they could continue living in them. I know many will say he did that to make money, but I think that shows he has a caring attitude and isn't a vile, vindictive racist as some are trying to paint him.

Telling a lie about MDH wasn't to make him more attractive to voters? What was the intention then?

Telling a lie about MDH wasn't to make him more attractive to voters? What was the intention then?

Was that the one about planning objection from 1968 or something?

If so, I remember thinking "well that is easily proved or disproved"....how come no media folk followed up on that the next day? Heard nothing about it since.

Has it been proven to be wrong (or a lie?). Maybe PC was given wrong information by an advisor and was simply repeating what he was told? I'm sure he doesn't do all his own research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

listermint wrote: »
    Actually I do.

Let me explain.

Voter apathy.

All it takes is one single comment plank to ride in on populism.

He could easily get in on a couple of thousand votes.

So yeah it's encombent on us all not to allow fellas like this make a mockery of the office. Least we end up looking like a laughing stock .

Yes that's trump territory.

Voter apathy is a thing, do you not see why this bunch of folks are hoping for it. Its why they are running.

Only Trump territory because the other candidates don't have much to offer. Why can't they be "smarter" instead of shouting "racism"?

It could turn out to be the greatest stroke of all time people seem to be talking about it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Casey #1

Can I ask how you vote in this election?

If you only want one person to win, and don't care about the others, do you only mark one candidate?

If you really hate a certain candidate and definitely want them to get as few votes as possible (I'll not mention names but he has a head like a thumb), should be be left out of it completely or marked as 6th preference?

I’m only putting in a no1 and that’s for PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Put down a number 1 only. Don't put down an X on anyone else's name as that spoils the vote.

Some people think that if you don't fill it either with numbered vote or an X (again don't do this), then some crafty counter will fill the rest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Can I ask how you vote in this election?

If you only want one person to win, and don't care about the others, do you only mark one candidate?

If you really hate a certain candidate and definitely want them to get as few votes as possible (I'll not mention names but he has a head like a thumb), should be be left out of it completely or marked as 6th preference?

Yes and Yes, leave them out completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You've a single transferable vote.
    To do the most damage to the one you hate, vote for everyone else in your order of preferance omitting the one you hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The level of intelligence amongst a snap shot of Irish voters here is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Casey for president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-45928722

PSNI set the record straight and deny Higgins story that they were involved in giving security advice to use the jet to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-45928722

PSNI set the record straight and deny Higgins story that they were involved in giving security advice to use the jet to Belfast.

That will be ingorned by our establishment media.

Wonder will they call the PSNI racist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement