Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple October Event

• 18-10-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Apple have sent out invites to the media for an event on October 30th in New York. Expect to see iPad pro’s and new Macs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The only thing I'm interested in seeing is if there any news on the AirPower charger (about a year after announcing it); the rest has been leaked enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

One thing to pay attention to for this one, the event is happening in New York time so it will be 2pm Irish time instead of the normal 6pm.

Never watched an Apple event so early, 5pm was the only odd one I even noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Mixed emotions. Curious to see what the iPad Pro with the new design, no home button, FaceID etc. is like, but on the other hand my iPad Pro will then be the "old" model. LOL

Also really looking forward to seeing the Macbook Air successor with improved specs and display. I'm keen to see what Apple is going to offer at this price point. A better specced Macbook Air type of device could certainly be tempting to me in the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    One thing to pay attention to for this one, the event is happening in New York time so it will be 2pm Irish time instead of the normal 6pm.

Never watched an Apple event so early, 5pm was the only odd one I even noticed.

That 5pm one would still have been 10am Pacific time, the normal time. But at a time of the year where their clocks hadn’t gone forward.

Another early event would have been the education event in Chicago earlier this year. That wasn’t live streamed however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FourFourFM wrote: »
    That 5pm one would still have been 10am Pacific time, the normal time. But at a time of the year where their clocks hadn’t gone forward.

Another early event would have been the education event in Chicago earlier this year. That wasn’t live streamed however.

The event is on at 10am Eastern Time, so that is 2pm here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

iPad Pro with edge to edge display, Face ID and almost laptop like processing power will be an instant buy for me as long as the size/weight remains reasonable (similar in size to my 9.7in iPad Pro but with a much nicer display - the current 10.5in version is too large for my liking).

murpho999 wrote: »
    The event is on at 10am Eastern Time, so that is 2pm here.

Never said it wasn’t?

I was just explaining why it was 5pm instead of 6pm before. I said 10am Pacific time not Eastern.

Regarding the event itself. Not really tempted by a new iPad or Mac but I’d like to see AirPods 2 with wireless charging come out. The battery on my originals have taken a beating over the last couple of years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm hoping for a new Mac Mini for the same price as the current one. I expect to be disappointed.

I'm hoping for a new Mac Mini for the same price as the current one. I expect to be disappointed.

I think your expectation is correct ...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Expecting the macbook air to get a significant upgrade...are there any rumors about sizes...would love a 15in?

• Advertisement

Vudgie wrote: »
    Expecting the macbook air to get a significant upgrade...are there any rumors about sizes...would love a 15in?

Apple doesn’t do 15in and low end, and currently the MacBook Air is their low end line. So I would really be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Bob24 wrote: »
    Apple doesn’t do 15in and low end, and currently the MacBook Air is their low end line. So I would really be surprised.

Yes, I think you are right.

Hard to justify a 12in model for me as I have the 10.5in iPad pro which does nearly everything I need with a keyboard cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

An Air with a Retina would get me to upgrade my Mac. 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I just want my Mac mini. Please come through Apple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just want my Mac mini. Please come through Apple.

You’ll probably get your wish but expect to be horrified by the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You’ll probably get your wish but expect to be horrified by the price.
    So a typical Apple event then. :P

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are people expecting an Air refresh? Surely would eat iPad Pro sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

awec wrote: »
    Are people expecting an Air refresh? Surely would eat iPad Pro sales.

To be honest, for the reason you mentioned, I think the Air name may simply be retired, as it was with the iPad.
    I'm somewhat expecting there's a chance they'll do some form of merger between the the Air and non-Pro Macbook lines.

duridian wrote: »
    I'm somewhat expecting there's a chance they'll do some form of merger between the the Air and non-Pro Macbook lines.

I also think it would make sense. And *maybe* to release a larger (13 or 14) version of the MacBook to replace the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This has to be the event where the air is discontinued. I own an air 13" and a Macbook 12" and see no reason for the air to exist.

• Advertisement

The Air is a huge seller, especially amongst students. They may change the name but a similar kind of laptop at that price point will replace it. The 12-inch MacBook is too expensive.

The Air is a huge seller, especially amongst students. They may change the name but a similar kind of laptop at that price point will replace it. The 12-inch MacBook is too expensive.

While it now feels like old tech, at some point the Air was the small and cool thing which the MacBook has been since 2015, and it was selling for the current price point of the MacBook or more. And gradually they dropped the price and introduced a dumbed down version with less memory/storage to target those students.

I could see them doing the same with the MacBook and retiring the Air.

It’s not a prediction but what I think could make sense is:
    - drop the price of all 12 MacBooks by 100-150 euros
    - introduce an even lower tier with 128GB storage instead of the current 256 and which would be in the region of 1200 euros (just a little bit more than the current base MacBook Air, which is in good part cheaper today because it has a 128gb option whereas the MacBook doesn’t)
    - introduce at 13 or 14in MacBook which costs 200-300 euros more than the equivalent 12in version (maybe with a slightly better CPU or whatever else to justify the higher cost)
    - discontinue the MacBook Air

While it now feels like old tech, at some point the Air was the small and cool thing which the MacBook has been since 2015

I dunno, I don't think that new MacBook was anywhere near the same wow factor the Air had went it landed. It still doesn't in my opinion. If they took the Air, reduced the bezels, gave it the Retina screen and juiced up the insides I think it would be a great update to it.

While it now feels like old tech, at some point the Air was the small and cool thing which the MacBook has been since 2015

I dunno, I don't think that new MacBook was anywhere near the same wow factor the Air had went it landed. It still doesn't in my opinion. If they took the Air, reduced the bezels, gave it the Retina screen and juiced up the insides I think it would be a great update to it.

It wouldn’t be be too far from the potential new 13/14 inch MacBook I was talking about though :-) (and probably wouldn’t retain that low price point)

I think if this is where they want to go, moving it to a more modern MacBook chassis (just a bit larger) would make sense for Apple.

The first gen Air was rather poor IMO. The technology wasn't quite there yet and it was too expensive. Then when they made it affordable it lost a lot of the impetus behind the original design ethos and it became just a low end MacBook for students. The "Air" moniker became increasingly meaningless, so much so that they had to rebrand the 12-inch even though it was clearly intended to be the new Air.

I'd consider the 12-inch MacBook to be a fulfilment of the original Air's potential. But that still leaves Apple with a big gap in their lineup for that student market. I don't think they'll repeat what they did with the Air and make the 12-inch cheaper. That would require too big a price drop at a time when Apple are going upmarket not down. Not to mention it would probably mean adding a fan and more ports, which would compromise the 12-inch's design too much.

I'm expecting an XR type solution - cheaper, bigger, more colourful - while leaving the 12-inch MB as it is.

It wouldn’t be be too far from the potential new 13/14 inch MacBook I was talking about though :-) (and probably wouldn’t retain that low price point)

Valid point :)

I'm expecting an XR type solution - cheaper, bigger, more colourful - while leaving the 12-inch MB as it is.

This line depresses me.... mostly because after reading your post I can see you are probably in the right direction of what will happen.

Maybe I'll just use my Air until it pops! Which, in fairness doesn't seem to be anytime soon.

I'd consider the 12-inch MacBook to be a fulfilment of the original Air's potential. But that still leaves Apple with a big gap in their lineup for that student market. I don't think they'll repeat what they did with the Air and make the 12-inch cheaper. That would require too big a price drop at a time when Apple are going upmarket not down. Not to mention it would probably mean adding a fan and more ports, which would compromise the 12-inch's design too much.

If we take a look at the current MacBook offering:

12" MacBook (256GB) starts at €1,549 and the 13" MacBook Pro also starts at €1,549 (128GB). The MacBook Air comes in at €1,129 (128GB).

I don't see where a cheaper (MacBook Air replacement) offering fits in whilst keeping the 12" MacBook in place? They are unlikely going to keep the same non-retina display, older unibody style and older styled keyboard and will likely implement the 3rd generation butterfly keyboard on the new one with Thunderbolt 3 port(s) only.

It suggests to me that it will be bring the end of the 12" MacBook line and use what they've learned from that model to make a more modern MacBook Air with a 13"/14" display probably at a more affordable price.

EDIT:

If the 12" MacBook gets a spec upgrade this year and continues to be €1,549, what would the pricing be for the MacBook Air replacement and what compromises would it have, considering the 12" has compromises from the 13" MacBook Pro line-up? Would they really continue with another non-retina display?

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 12" Macbook is pretty new though, right? Hardly going to retire that entire model of laptops already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I wonder if they'll announce a new version of the apple pencil ?

• Advertisement

The first gen Air was rather poor IMO. The technology wasn't quite there yet and it was too expensive. Then when they made it affordable it lost a lot of the impetus behind the original design ethos and it became just a low end MacBook for students. The "Air" moniker became increasingly meaningless, so much so that they had to rebrand the 12-inch even though it was clearly intended to be the new Air.

I see 3 stages for the Air:
    - the first iteration which had a slow hard drive (no SSD) and not enough RAM was indeed poor and more of an aspirational product.
    - then they relaunched the Air brand with an SSD drive and new nicer chassis. This became a serious product and while it had CPU limitations for some tasks the SSD actually made it faster than Macbook Pros (which then were still predominantly using HDDs). It was still very much a high-end expensive product for a while.
    - when they released thiner MacBook Pros based on a similar design as the Air and SSD blades (as well as Retina displays), they started to gradually drop the price of the Air to make it entry level.

If you look at current prices, the gap to close is not that big for the Macbook to match the Macbook Air.

In Ireland a 256GB MacBook Air is 1379 euros, and a 256GB MacBook is 1549.

As I mentioned if they cut the price of the Macbook by just 100 euros it would already be very close, and 150 euros would pretty much match the Air price (and it could possibly give them the opportunity to introduce a new larger and more expensive MacBook to add a mid-range option with similar screen size as the 13 Pro but less powerful, a bit smaller/lighter, and cheaper).

Plus the simple MacBook name has been Apple's traditional entry level brand while MacBook Pro has been for the high end, so doing this would make their product range simple again.

But anyway it’s all speculation and we'll have to wait and see. And the event is likely to be just for a new iPad Pro and a few spec bumps on the Macs :-)

Advertisement