Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple October Event

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thinking about it, I'm probably overestimating the importance of the Air's price point to their lineup. They let it whither this long, so it's obviously not something they are invested in anymore. The iPad has surely eaten into a lot of the student market for MBAs.

So maybe you guys are right and we'll get a new MacBooks for slightly cheaper. Maybe a 12-inch for 100 less and a 13-inch for current price. Air disregarded with an emphasis placed on iPads as being great for students, etc. Besides, the the current Air is only 1.5 years old and there's no sign of supplies running short. They could easily sell it for another 2.5 years like the Mini.

The main thing is I don't see them compromising or replacing the design of the current 12-inch. I think the fanless, underpowered, single port design will remain, but maybe the 13-inch will have two ports. If they can't/won't make a new MBA with Retina for less, then that's probably the end of the Air. A small price reduction might be on the cards for the 12-inch, but they aren't going to reduce it to Air levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Thinking about it, I'm probably overestimating the importance of the Air's price point to their lineup. They let it whither this long, so it's obviously not something they are invested in anymore. The iPad has surely eaten into a lot of the student market for MBAs.
    I was actually just about to post something similar. I think Apple see the iPad as their student entry point at this stage. Only the really heavy science/programming subjects require a full computer OS (and there may even be apps for those on the iPad if I bothered to check...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Johnmb wrote: »
    I was actually just about to post something similar. I think Apple see the iPad as their student entry point at this stage.

Yeah I think you're right. I am nor sure students see it that way yet (maybe they do, I really don't know), but if not it's likely getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

From my perspective as a student I have an Air and I mainly bought it a year ago because I got it on a deal (meant it came in after cashback at 899 or something) and because while the screen is poor the rest of the machine holds up well for what a lot of students (bar computer science, etc) will be doing. The keyboard is nicer than the new Macbook design for extended typing sessions, the number of ports is important for being able to transfer things easily and not having to carry dongles everywhere, and it is cheaper. Yes, a €200 difference mightn't be much in the grand scheme of things but it's a lot of money when you're on a strict budget.

I also have an iPad for reading and taking written notes (and it's amazing for that) but I honestly could not use an iPad for my essays and assignments, mostly because there's no good referencing software that you can easily integrate with the app versions of word etc.

I probably would like to upgrade to a bit of a nicer screen etc but I need the ports and the better typing experience, hence the love of my Air for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

awec wrote: »
    The 12" Macbook is pretty new though, right? Hardly going to retire that entire model of laptops already.
    Tell that to my iPad 3. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dades wrote: »
    Yea but iPads (except the Pro) are cheaper devices that got updated more often.

Laptops (and desktops) usually have much longer cycles. The 12 inch Macbooks are like brand new in the past 3 years, I'd be shocked if they went away any time soon.

Dades wrote: »

Ah, "The new iPad" as Apple decided to call it - the worst named iPad ever :-) (having said that I had one and did like it until I got my iPad Air!)

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have an iPad Air 2 and I have to say, of all my Apple devices my iPad is the one where I have never really been tempted to upgrade.

awec wrote: »
    I have an iPad Air 2 and I have to say, of all my Apple devices my iPad is the one where I have never really been tempted to upgrade.

Long term support for that generation has been very good (in consumer electronics terms), they still run very well with iOS 12.

Having said that a thin bezel and Face ID 10in Pro will get them my money :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It will be the end of the iconic glowing Apple logo as well! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It will be the end of the iconic glowing Apple logo as well! :(

Glowing logo hasn’t been on the pros or the 12inch for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

eeloe wrote: »
    Glowing logo hasn’t been on the pros or the 12inch for years.

I’m well aware.

What I mean is that the MacBook Air will no longer be sold after this event and as a result be the last of the glowing logo notebooks sold by Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Do Apple usually keep the prices of new iPads and Macs the same as the previous models?

I never keep that information I my head when the talk about pricing but this time I need to get a new iMac and I want an iPad :P

Do Apple usually keep the prices of new iPads and Macs the same as the previous models?

I never keep that information I my head when the talk about pricing but this time I need to get a new iMac and I want an iPad :P

Once upon a time, prices were fairly stable accross generations. Nowadays, I wouldn’t necessarily count on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Refreshed spec bumped models are usually the same US price (though Euro/Irish prices can fluctuate considerably depending on exchange rates and other arbitrary factors). But in this case, most of the announcements will probably be redesigns or significant upgrades, so price increases should definitely be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Waaa !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Store down. Was going to buy the watch!

godtabh wrote: »
    Store down. Was going to buy the watch!

I guess in a way is part of the Apple folklore related to new product releases, but nowadays I find it hard to understand why they have to take down their whole online store just to add a few new SKUs and product pages.

I’m wondering if they do it just as a marketing trick and for no good practical reason, just to start building up the hype with every tech website publishing a piece on the Apple Store being down, or if there is an actual technical justification.

What does everyone think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know I`m going to be tempted by the new iPads even though I only bought one of the cheap ones earlier this year.

I`m sure the price will put me off though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Bob24 wrote: »
    I guess in a way is part of the Apple folklore related to new product releases, but nowadays I find it hard to understand why they have to take down their whole online store just to add a few new SKUs and product pages.

I’m wondering if they do it just as a marketing trick and for no good practical reason, just to start building up the hype with every tech website publishing a piece on the Apple Store being down, or if there is an actual technical justification.

What does everyone think?

Totally agree! It HAS to be part of the show.. There's no other reason to do so.. having new pages ready to go live after the launch would be no problem to have in place. Unless they have a clunky online merchant service.... I guess that's possible... :D

I'd well believe that the online store downtime is necessary. Only a few years ago it used to regularly go down for maintenance without any new products being added. Keep in mind that Apple have online stores in a 100 countries which they update simultaneously. Also they aren't just adding new products (which they have done without downtime), they are replacing old ones and linking them to other pages throughout the site. It's probably simpler to just take everything down for a few hours.

We've had similar debates before about Apple creating artificial stock shortages to build hype etc and the arguments never really add up. Apple is a huge company, yes, but it has a lot unusual corporate practices and is very set in its ways.

Apple is a huge company, yes, but it has a lot unusual corporate practices and is very set in its ways.

When you put it like that.... :cool:

Keep in mind that Apple have online stores in a 100 countries which they update simultaneously. Also they aren't just adding new products (which they have done without downtime), they are replacing old ones and linking them to other pages throughout the site. It's probably simpler to just take everything down for a few hours.

I have to say I am not convinced by an explanation which would involve the complexity of Apple’s operations. Yes they are present in many countries, but on the other hand for a company that size the quantity and variety of products listed on their website is very small (which IMO is one of their strengths).

Also, even assuming they can’t do it in real time on a live environment, I can’t see how it would require several hours (the store has been down since this morning is still isn’t back). Worst case senerio they could have a second environment where they make the changes throughout the day and test them while the old one is still live taking orders, and switch to that environment in production when the products have been announced.
    Apple is a huge company, yes, but it has a lot unusual corporate practices and is very set in its ways.

Yes agree that’s probably part of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

New air

This is the best news! Retina display!!!

Apple seem to have forgotten about the existence of the 12-inch MacBook.

I'm sold. 100% getting one of these. What a great update!

• Advertisement

Dual-core. That will go down well. But at least they didn't get rid of the headphone jack.

RIP Magsafe.

Advertisement