Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple October Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    More dongles... I presume people probably have lightning headphones that won't connect to their ipad now and probably don't have such a dongle as didn't need it till now :)

Assuming they support audio over USB-C. I suppose so but I don’t think they actually mentioned it.

I wouldn’t buy wired headphones for mobile use anyway, it’s clearly something which is fast disappearing and I wouldn’t be surprised if iPhones lose any type of connector in a year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also, their line-up looks so confusing now. Taking the base configs
    13” MacBook Pro - €1,549
    12” MacBook - €1,549 (256GB storage)
    13.3” MacBook Air - €1,379

Also the Mac mini starting at €909 and also offers 128GB as base. It’s just not clear what model to go with based on those prices.

Plus, 128GB is mostly unusable for the majority and you still need to spend an extortionate amount to double that storage.

How much storage in the Air base model. I personally think the normal Apple customer - home user - should get the air and eschew the MacBook. In fact I thought one or two of these brands would go away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I still think Apple are making amazing products, and in some areas completely dominate the competition. But their prices across the lineup are going higher and higher.

I also feel they’re more and more starting to offer compromised products in favour of profits. For example laptops which still offer 128GB storage as base, despite how cheap this is especially for such a large company like Apple. Also in the iCloud area, offing 5GB as base is ridiculous.

There’s very little stopping Apple from pricing stuff at the same tiers as the previous products, other than the pursuit of profits. And I know they’re a business and the only reason they exists is to make money, but I know I’ve spoken to a lot of people who’ve been priced out of the Apple ecosystem and consider them a rip-off now.

Apple are pushing all their products up market to distance themselves from their competitors, who have been inching their way into Apple's space for quite some time now. The low end of the market isn't where it used to be. I'm being priced out as well, but it just means I hold onto machines and devices for longer. A lot longer in some cases. Thankfully Apple stuff holds up for the most part.

There's nothing new about this really except Apple probably don't feel the same pressure to produce a reasonably priced low-end offering. But a lot of those low-end products were heavily compromised in the past. I know because I ended up with many of them and often regretted it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

€250 for nothing but an extra 128GB storage in the MBA, is taking the piss.
    I have a 128GB USB key I bought for 25 quid.

Mind you, the MBP pricing model is the same I've just noticed.

The whole port thing is becoming a bit of a debacle.

Apple are pushing all their products up market to distance themselves from their competitors, who have been inching their way into Apple's space for quite some time now. The low end of the market isn't where it used to be. I'm being priced out as well, but it just means I hold onto machines and devices for longer. A lot longer in some cases. Thankfully Apple stuff holds up for the most part.

There's nothing new about this really except Apple probably don't feel the same pressure to produce a reasonably priced low-end offering. But a lot of those low-end products were heavily compromised in the past. I know because I ended up with many of them and often regretted it.

Agreed. And I would add that in several product lines they actually offer prices which are similar or cheaper than the entry level a few years ago (for exemple you can get an iPhone 7 for 539, which i don’t think is far from what the cheapest iPhone was 5 years ago). What they’ve done is spreading the product line accross more products types/generations and made it more expensive to buy the latest and greatest. So I don’t know if it’s food but if you tell them you’ve been priced out their view will probably be that if you could afford any iPhone 5 years ago you can still afford one today (although it won’t be the later model).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

But a lot of those low-end products were heavily compromised in the past. I know because I ended up with many of them and often regretted it.

I was about to post this, if anyone thinks this is new, they're mistaken. Apple invariably pushes you up a tier, whether thats because of storage or Memory on the base spec and that ignoring stuff like cheapo graphics or the bad old days of 5400rpm hard drives. This stuff is a "bargain" compared to the prices they were charging yesterday for the relics that were the last mini and MBA.

Was half tempted by the idea of a mini, but it'd by another 500ish to get 16gb and a barely sufficient bit of flash storage. No thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyway, I thought this was a very weak keynote in terms of announcements. MacBook Air is several years too late. The iPad Pro puts it to shame but I'm not interested in an iPad. The Mini is overpriced. No iMac.

Actually didn’t find it that bad. While a bit pricey the new air is what many people were asking for and will probably sell well (I’ll keep my pro though :-)), and the iPad is getting really serious at being a laptop replacement and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anyway, I thought this was a very weak keynote in terms of announcements. MacBook Air is several years too late. The iPad Pro puts it to shame but I'm not interested in an iPad. The Mini is overpriced. No iMac.

Very standard corporate fair. The crowd was up for it but were bored by the end. Apple really want the iPad to replace lower end computers, or be their lower end competition to netbook play, but tablets have huge issues and really aren’t there yet for real work. Jobs sold it as a consumption device, cook seems to want a desktop replacement. Can’t see it.

Was half tempted by the idea of a mini, but it'd by another 500ish to get 16gb and a barely sufficient bit of flash storage. No thanks.

Yeah, I badly need a Mini or something to run in the background. I'd be happy with the specs on the low-end model but it's still too expensive. Getting desperate now and seriously considering a refurbished 2014 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

mad muffin wrote: »
    Hey Apple… why don’t you open an Apple store or two in Ireland? Ffs…

Something they said during the show about all their stores being carbon neutral made me wonder if that might have something to do with the absence of Apple Stores here. ðŸŒ

And here’s our new dongle :-)

MU7E2_AV3?wid=1144&hei=1144&fmt=jpeg&qlt=80&op_usm=0.5,0.5&.v=1539385668630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've only recently admitted to myself that I just don't like tablets. Picked up a Pro last year (with a pencil) with the fantasy that I'd be more creative. That I'd learn to draw and ... stuff. That hasn't happened. The last time I picked it up was to discover Stud.io doesn't exist for iOS. I should have known, I never used the iPad 2 either for the 5 years I had it, but I always made excuses that it was the terrible screen

The reality is I just don't like using them, maybe it's because I'm old now, but I'll pick the MBP every time even if it's just looking at youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

iPad Pro 12.9in 256gb Space Grey - Ordered 👍

jenno86 wrote: »
    iPad Pro 12.9in 256gb Space Grey - Ordered ðŸ‘

The 11in is on my list to purchase next week. Will probably go for the silver one as while I have no problem with space grey I always had a sweet spot for that original Apple aluminium look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

No the iPads don’t come with earphones. You can buy usb-c ones. OnePlus and Google just release inexpensive ones that seems to be pretty good as a standard set.

They’re just assuming most use Bluetooth ones at this point.

My bluetooth headphones are great with my AppleTV but I have a 2012 MacBook Air the sound is terrible without the Boom app and if I use it with bluetooth headphones the dialogue on iTunes movies and Netflix is always slightly out of sync.

Even though I know the audio has improved on devices since then and other people I know tell me bluetooth is fine, I can't help but think I need wired earphones for any portable device. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iPad Pro 12.9” Space Grey Wi-Fi & 4G 1TB ordered. 2-3 week delivery date.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Assuming they support audio over USB-C. I suppose so but I don’t think they actually mentioned it.

I wouldn’t buy wired headphones for mobile use anyway, it’s clearly something which is fast disappearing and I wouldn’t be surprised if iPhones lose any type of connector in a year or 2.

I need wired earphones for an iPhone. I'd lose or drop the wireless Apple ones and I wouldn't walk around with big over the ear headphones.

The audio on my Air is terrible, but if my bluetooth headphones work well with an iPad I would prefer it at home.

The 2017 MacBook Air still for sale at €1,129. Same price as it was before today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to have been any updates to the iMac. I wasn't expecting a redesign announced at the event, but I did expect there to be spec bumps on the site. Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to have been any change. That's a pity because I was planning on buying one, but at this stage they are year-old specs, so I'll stick with my MBP for a while longer. If Apple wants to remain up-market compared to their competitors as stated previously, they need to stop selling out of date products at premium prices. For €5k, I'd expect an iMac with the latest internals, not the ones from last year...

• Advertisement

I need wired earphones for an iPhone. I'd lose or drop the wireless Apple ones and I wouldn't walk around with big over the ear headphones.

The audio on my Air is terrible, but if my bluetooth headphones work well with an iPad I would prefer it at home.

Bluetooth earphones with a neck band might be an option for you. Something like the Bose QC30.

In any case, wired earphones are clearly becoming a niche and I really don’t think many phones will support them in a few years time.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Bluetooth earphones with a neck band might be an option for you. Something like the Bose QC30.

In any case, wired phone are clearly becoming a niche and really don’t think many phones will support them in a few years time.

I think both Apple wired earphones are the most comfortable I've ever used of any headphones and they are the only ones that don't fall out. I often forget I'm actually using them. :)

Even my on-ear bluetooth earphones get uncomfortable sometimes.

I've had to stop watching the videos, did it say whether the new pencil would only work with the pros?

Correct and the older pencil won’t work with the new iPad’s also.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/30/apple-pencil-2-compatibility/

I'm not able to re-watch the presentation at the moment.

Did they say the new Pro will be able be better for gaming than the xBox One?

I'm not able to re-watch the presentation at the moment.

Did they say the new Pro will be able be better for gaming than the xBox One?

No, as I recall they said it was graphically more powerful than an Xbox One S.

No, as I recall they said it was graphically more powerful than an Xbox One S.

I'm looking forward to some new Lego Star Wars games so.:)

Are there any good drawing apps for Apple Pencil on the iPad 9.7 ?

Uncomplicated apps for someone who cannot draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

iPad mini 4 still on sale @ €449. Are they trying to be funny or what :/

Shn99 wrote: »

Yep. €449 for 3 year old specs is crazy.

It’s still a really nice form factor. I’d love a 2018 model.

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »

My GF got a mini 4 in Japan on the day it was released for less than that amount.

Needless to say it makes her happy about her purchase, but yeah I don’t find it very funny either.

Advertisement