Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple October Event

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iPad Mini is like the Mac Mini. It's a product Apple doesn't see the point of anymore and only created to satisfy the need for a cheaper price point, but rather than discontinue it they just ignore it for 3 or 4 years. If people are still buying it after all that time, then they refresh it and increase the price. They repeat this process until people stop buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FourFourFM wrote: »
    iPad Pro 12.9” Space Grey Wi-Fi & 4G 1TB ordered. 2-3 week delivery date.

Did that cost you €2,129?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

So the "Air" is bigger and heavier than the MacBook... does this mean no more updates to MacBook in the future I wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    So the "Air" is bigger and heavier than the MacBook... does this mean no more updates to MacBook in the future I wonder?

Really, they should have called the 12-inch the "Air" and the new 13-inch simply "MacBook".

While the new Air is certainly better value, the MacBook is still more portable. And fanless. I think it will remain in the line-up as a half-way point between the iPad and Mac. It'll probably get even thinner and lighter soon and be the first Mac to get ARM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The new MBA is fanless also.

• Advertisement

The new MBA is fanless also.

Are you sure? I'm pretty certain i saw a fan in the cross section they showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Johnmb wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to have been any updates to the iMac. I wasn't expecting a redesign announced at the event, but I did expect there to be spec bumps on the site. Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to have been any change. That's a pity because I was planning on buying one, but at this stage they are year-old specs, so I'll stick with my MBP for a while longer.

Do you think it likely there is some kind of iMac upgrading coming next year?

Are you sure? I'm pretty certain i saw a fan in the cross section they showed.

Apologies. I was basing that on https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/30/hands-on-with-the-new-2018-macbook-air but it appears they are wrong.

It was thought that they were carrying 5W CPU’s but they’re actually these 7W’s https://ark.intel.com/products/189912/Intel-Core-i5-8210Y-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3-60-GHz-

Apologies. I was basing that on https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/30/hands-on-with-the-new-2018-macbook-air but it appears they are wrong.

It was thought that they were crying 5W CPU’s but they’re actually these 7W’s https://ark.intel.com/products/189912/Intel-Core-i5-8210Y-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3-60-GHz-

Cool, for a second I thought maybe I was seeing things as I just assumed in advance that it was going to be thicker and have a fan.

They probably still could have gone fanless, but I guess they didn't want the CPU throttling. An understandable compromise which will make refreshes easier, but another reason the 12-inch isn't going anywhere. For now anyway.

One thing I don't understand: why are they continuing to introduce Touch ID to the Mac when they are in the process of removing it from iOS devices? Face ID seems perfectly suited to the Mac, but I guess Touch ID must be cheaper or something.

• Advertisement

Interesting update regarding AppleCare+ and the Mac, it’s now available in Ireland:

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/products/mac.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

One thing I don't understand: why are they continuing to introduce Touch ID to the Mac when they are in the process of removing it from iOS devices? Face ID seems perfectly suited to the Mac, but I guess Touch ID must be cheaper or something.

That crossed my mind too! Maybe it's the frustration that it doesn't work as consistently as TouchID... not that Apple would admit such a thing... maybe TouchID is more convenient for opening protected documents etc than firing up FaceID each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Good question, Face ID indeed seems very suitable for a device typically standing steady on a desk while the user is looking at it.

My tentative answer: since Face ID is seen as a more premium feature than Touch ID in Apple’s product line, they don’t want to introduce it on any other laptop before the MacBook Pro has it (and since putting it on the Pro requires a bit more redesign work than just a typical spec refresh it might not be quite there yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah I find it so confusing Apple haven't pushed FaceID on the Mac lineup I feel it's the much more obvious choice compared to the iOS devices. Maybe it's because of cost, maybe they are just leaving it as an exclusive feature for a while. I kind of agree with the above that they are probably holding it back for an iMac Pro refresh where the keyboard will be wireless so it makes more sense there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I have a Surface Book with Windows Hello and the face identification works flawlessly on a laptop. Bit surprised Apple haven't included it in their macbooks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm guessing the module is too thick to stick into a bezel and other solutions wouldn't be elegant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As long as they have a camera in the bezel they'd have space for the face ID module.

I reckon they're keeping the cost down. Face ID was only introduced as the new phones had no room for touch ID. Plenty of room on a keyboard for touch ID = no requirement for an expensive face ID feature that most people moaned about having to use anyway.

Might be a "feature" that nobody really needs on the next MBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyone know when apple usually upload the event to YouTube? Would like to hook it up to the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »
    As long as they have a camera in the bezel they'd have space for the face ID module.

How do you work that out? Bare in mind that they can only fit a 720p module in as is, owing to requirement for thinness. How thick are the dot projector, flood illuminator and IR camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Shn99 wrote: »
    Anyone know when apple usually upload the event to YouTube? Would like to hook it up to the telly

Can you not stream it on the TV's browser from their site?

• Advertisement
Advertisement