Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this plant/shrub??

Options
  • 18-10-2018 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, can anyone identify this plant/shrub?? Photo attached.
    It is about 4 ft tall and the leaves turn a beautiful colour red at this time of year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

EDIT: NVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AnneJane

I'll try to post the photo again, thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry, I spotted your other thread in the meantime.

I think it could be smooth sumac. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_glabra

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sumach, lovely tree but inclined to sucker like mad. I like them though!

edit, oops didn't see your reply Newhome - I think Boards is being a bit difficult today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AnneJane

looksee wrote: »
    Sumach, lovely tree but inclined to sucker like mad. I like them though!

edit, oops didn't see your reply Newhome - I think Boards is being a bit difficult today.

I'm not great at gardening... just wondering what do you mean "to sucker like mad"?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rhus Typhina - Stags horn sumach, sends up new shrubs (suckers) from points along the roots, so you get - for example little lines of sumachs growing across your lawn. Mowing keeps them down in the lawn but they also pop up in flower beds and basically anywhere else.

Newhome says this is Rhus Glabra, which I was not familiar with, also a Sumach, and I think she is right. They may not be such a problem for suckering, but I am not sure.

Advertisement