Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this plant/shrub??

Options
  • 18-10-2018 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, can anyone identify this plant/shrub?? Photo attached.
    It is about 4 ft tall and the leaves turn a beautiful colour red at this time of year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_glabra

I think I know the tree/shrub you're talking about, a friend of mine has it in her garden and it's stunning. Does it have a smooth, pale grey bark?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AnneJane

New Home wrote: »
    Could be this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_glabra

I think I know the tree/shrub you're talking about, a friend of mine has it in her garden and it's stunning. Does it have a smooth, pale grey bark?
    No, it has a brown bark ... which is kind of feels like velvet the on the branches.. but not on the main trunk.

AnneJane wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone identify this plant/shrub?? Photo attached.
    It is about 4 ft tall and the leaves turn a beautiful colour red at this time of year.
    Thanks

Here is another photo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Rhus typhinia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Here is another photo

Looks like a Stags Horn, phenomenal autumn colour and has a velvety feel to it.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/20902/Rhus-typhina/Details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

No, it has a brown bark ... which is kind of feels like velvet the on the branches.. but not on the main trunk.

It's a this alright. I've one and I call it my reindeer plant because the new branches are like fuzzy antlers.

It's a rhus typhinia....
    Simple as...

There's no compromise...

Trust me I'm a gardener lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Goldengirl wrote: »

Rhus typhina is also called staghorn sumac.

• Advertisement

I'm more old school Latin myself, so I'm sorry if I don't know the common name.
    It was drilled into me....
    Beaten into me with a Sally stick

They sucker all over the place.

I remember the staghorn now or sumach.

My memory is coming back....

Grow easily from seed.

I remember living in Cork years ago they were everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

nthclare wrote: »
    They sucker all over the place.

I remember the staghorn now or sumach.

My memory is coming back....

Grow easily from seed.

I remember living in Cork years ago they were everywhere

They do form suckers all right, and they usually have great Autumn colour. The one I have plated since last year is fairly sheltered so has not fully changed colour but I pass some on the road that are looking great at the moment. No sign of any seed heads either on mine this year and no sign of suckers yet but I do remember them being a problem in my grandmothers garden. I think the competing trees near where I planted my one have encouraged it to grow upwards in the one stem so its not left in the shade too much. It really grew well in its first year so maybe it did not keep enough reserves to flower and seed this year.

nthclare wrote: »
    It's a rhus typhinia....
    Simple as...

There's no compromise...

Trust me I'm a gardener lol

Thanks for That! Definitely want one for my garden it's so beautiful!

Looks like a Stags Horn, phenomenal autumn colour and has a velvety feel to it.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/20902/Rhus-typhina/Details

That's it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

macraignil wrote: »
    They do form suckers all right, and they usually have great Autumn colour. The one I have plated since last year is fairly sheltered so has not fully changed colour but I pass some on the road that are looking great at the moment. No sign of any seed heads either on mine this year and no sign of suckers yet but I do remember them being a problem in my grandmothers garden. I think the competing trees near where I planted my one have encouraged it to grow upwards in the one stem so its not left in the shade too much. It really grew well in its first year so maybe it did not keep enough reserves to flower and seed this year.

Interestingly (or maybe not), Rhus is one of those plants that has male and female forms and its only the females that bear the fruit cones. I don't think there's any way to tell them apart so best to buy one with cone attached if you want to be sure of one.
    The finely divided leaf form dissecta/laciniata is all female.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone ID this..

plant.jpg

flower, plant or weed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd call it a cottage garden plant. ;)

I think it's related to mallow, but I can't remember for the life of me what it's called. I'll see if I can find it. BRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Alchemilla mollis and a couple of lily bulbs by the looks of it.
    Alchemilla can be a bit of a weed as it seeds around but if you cut off the flower heads as they fade its a lovely little plant which grows anywhere..dew/rain on an alchemilla leaf is a sight to behold.

THANK YOU!!I t was driving me nuts! :)

I agree, droplets are amazing on those leaves. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement