Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip to Canada from USA

Options
  • 18-10-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

I'm over in America for a few weeks for work and am considering one weekend taking a trip up north by train or bus. I assume plenty of people do this. Does anyone know is it just a case of getting a visa at the border or do I need some sort of Canadian esta. I'm more concerned if there is any issue going back into the USA from Canada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is no issue coming back. The US travel permit stamped in your passport allows you to visit Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' (effectively the Caribbean) during your stay. The 90 day clock will continue to run even while you're in Canada but you can re-enter the US on that permit. Note that it's the travel permit in your passport that matters, your ESTA could have expired on the day after you arrived in the US and before you crossed into Canada but it won't matter.

If you depart the US for any other country, the permit expires and you would need a current ESTA to re-enter the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement