Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Names?

Options
  • 19-10-2018 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

I finally found a house and agreed terms... Yay.

It's on a little row of terraced cottages in Dublin, all with house numbers... My end of terrace has a name as well as a number. Is there any reason a house gets a name? I feel very special altogether!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The owner gets to choose it, my wife (not a batman fan) wanted to name our house the Bat Cave. A house we were bidding on had it's name changed a soon as the new owners moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The name even appears when you do an eircode search... New to me, I was only a number before this

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Delighted for you! Best of luck in your new home.
    I think house names are a tad notions-y, but generally inoffensive.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll let you know as soon as I sign contracts... That'll probably signal the next market collapse 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You can call your house anything you want to. I think you need to generally have house names added to Google maps though so it seems someone went to a bit of effort!

Congratulations. Hope it all goes through successfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do you change a name on eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ohhhh errrrr fancyyyyy

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How do you change a name on eircode?

Contact Geodirectory and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Foggy Jew wrote: »

A house I am hoping to buy has no house name (although estate agent made the area name into the house name when selling). It means that all the houses on that rural road are only distinguishable by the owner name and eircode which you are relying on the postman to know and use.

Back home in the parents home in the countryside there are three people with the same first and last names as my father in the area. The family house has a name and has done for 40 years since it was built but post sent not using the house name could end up at any of the three houses. People have started using eircodes when sending but not in common usage yet.

I'm just using that example to say that it has a function at times and is useful. Also apparently certain names were shown to increase house value in the UK so could work here too. Ard na greine, The Blue house, the manor etc have much more appeal subconciously than an eircode.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/add-thousands-value-house-spending-just-40/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A house I am hoping to buy has no house name (although estate agent made the area name into the house name when selling). It means that all the houses on that rural road are only distinguishable by the owner name and eircode which you are relying on the postman to know and use.

Back home in the parents home in the countryside there are three people with the same first and last names as my father in the area. The family house has a name and has done for 40 years since it was built but post sent not using the house name could end up at any of the three houses. People have started using eircodes when sending but not in common usage yet.

My Uncle and his neighbour have the same name and live in houses without names or numbers, never had an issue with getting the wrong post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Del2005 wrote: »
    My Uncle and his neighbour have the same name and live in houses without names or numbers, never had an issue with getting the wrong post.

If its addressed to Ted Bloggs, Bloggsland, Bloglin and your uncle and neighbour are both Ted Bloggs then its basic logic that its 50 / 50 whether the postman gets it to the right house or not? Take your uncle's postman to Vegas and get them to spin the roulette wheel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its addressed to Ted Bloggs, Bloggsland, Bloglin and your uncle and neighbour are both Ted Bloggs then its basic logic that its 50 / 50 whether the postman gets it to the right house or not? Take your uncle's postman to Vegas and get them to spin the roulette wheel for you.

Local postmen end up knowing what insurers, banks, etc are used; electricity/phone billing cycles and loads of other stuff to get the right post to the right people when identical addresses occur. This is one of the reasons why eircodes are needed for anyone to be competitive to An Post for rural deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Del2005 wrote: »
    My grandfather (was in his late 80's) and his neighbour (mid 30's) had the same name. Down in Kerry where they lived, there was no house numbers. My grandfather would often get random letters thanking him for the "great time" they had with him, that were obviously meant for the neighbour :D

He'd leave said letters on the window sill so that the home help would see them :pac: before having them dropped in to next door (was only a 3 minute walk away).

Advertisement