Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&S: How often are you being called upon?

Options
  • 19-10-2018 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

There is definitely more S&S cover being requested off me this year. According to my records (everybody else is recording their cover and not relying on the management?), I've done 12 classes of 40 minutes each so far ==> 12 x 40/60 =8 hours of the maximum 43 hours which we must do in the year. Yesterday, I managed to have my 8 scheduled classes, an S&S and break supervision - i.e. not a single school began. I sensed there was some legislation being broken so I had my lunch in the canteen while supervising.

However, from talking to other teachers at a recent in-service, there were many teachers doing significantly more hours than this under S&S this year.* How often are you being called upon this year?

*It seems that Deputy Principals, or whoever is responsible for arranging S&S, are also doing more personal cover this year than ever as they struggle with absences so I wonder what the early retirement/resignation figures will be like from that cohort of school management. But nobody in the ASTI, TUI, INTO - never mind in the government - is bothered spending a bit of money to research the consequences on teachers of all these "reforms".

How many S&S hours have you done so far this school year? 27 votes

Up to 5 hours
    0%
    Between 5 and 10 hours
    22%
    Alquaevolving_doorsBenicetomontyjoebloggs32saythatagainTheValeyard 6 votes
    Between 10 and 15 hours
    40%
    SligoBrewer2xj3hplqgsbkymDarth MelkorBeaulieutrebormurfmvronStudentbloggerCorkgirl18Mad MartinaTheBodygaiscioch 11 votes
    Between 15 and 20 hours
    33%
    doryCraftySuerainbowtroutpetejmkInspector Coptoorthegreatescapejimmytwotimes 2013StarkystarkTeacher17 9 votes
    More than 20 hours
    3%
    Trekky77 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Between 10 and 15 hours
    Actually, my above 8 hours so far are only for replacing other teachers. The break/lunch supervisions each week are additional. The 43-hour limit per year only refers to the classes we substitute in or supervise in? Or do the 43 hours include break/lunch supervision? If lunch supervision is included, I've done about an extra 4 hours on top of the 8.

Here's the ASTI take on it, and it seems covering breaks is part of S&S, but is it part of the 43 hours?
    A Supervision and Substitution Scheme (S&S) operates in schools to allow for the supervision of students during breaks and before and after school and to allow for substitution to cover certain categories of teacher absences.
    (Source: S&S Scheme)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The 43 hours includes all of S&S so you should work out how much you will do for supervision during the year then keep an eye on the balance left for your substitution classes. So if you do 30 mins a week supervision then you will use 16.5h so only 26.5h left for sub classes.

I had no supervision last year and did 2 classes per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Between 5 and 10 hours
    Remember S&S is NOT available to cover teachers out on Jct training. School is allocated extra sub hours for that.

Between 10 and 15 hours
    Remember S&S is NOT available to cover teachers out on Jct training. School is allocated extra sub hours for that.

Never knew that. Not sure why we are being called for more S&S if that's the case other than there being more teachers out ill? Does it include other in-services?

Between 10 and 15 hours
    The 43 hours includes all of S&S so you should work out how much you will do for supervision during the year then keep an eye on the balance left for your substitution classes. So if you do 30 mins a week supervision then you will use 16.5h so only 26.5h left for sub classes.

I had no supervision last year and did 2 classes per week.

Very interesting, Megan High Earache. At my current rate, I'll have reached max S&S hours on about 5 March next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Between 15 and 20 hours
    Last year I was down for a break and a lunch per week which would have seen me on about 29 hours for the year without a single cover class.

I offered first class monday as one of mine last year and was getting hit every week as a result. It was getting to the point in January that I only had a few hours left, and then I broke my leg. But it was going to be an interesting conversation telling the DP I wasn't going to be available to sub anymore classes for the last 3-4 months of the year.

I have a lunch (40 mins) this year and have got hit for 1 class per week for maybe 6 of the weeks so far this year. That's about 22 hours for the year. So I think at the rate of one class per week I could do one for 22 weeks of the year and then I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Between 15 and 20 hours
    I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling exactly this way this year. It’s been crazy. I am in a school where we have one hour classes. I’ve been called every week since we started. The last three weeks I had two substitution classes a week.

At this rate I will have all of the hours done by Xmas. I’m mentally exhausted from it. Teachers not leaving cover work, I’m still relatively new to the school - so there’s the disruptive behaviour, logging and reprimanding I’ve to deal with. Any issues I had are with those students I have been supervising rather than my own students I teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Between 15 and 20 hours
    I’ve done 10 Substitution and have one 35 minute lunch slot per week as well so all in I have done 645 mins or 10 hours 45 mins of the 43 hours.

It should be noted that the max you can be asked to do per week in terms of S&S is 3 hours per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Between 5 and 10 hours
    I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling exactly this way this year. It’s been crazy. I am in a school where we have one hour classes. I’ve been called every week since we started. The last three weeks I had two substitution classes a week.

At this rate I will have all of the hours done by Xmas. I’m mentally exhausted from it. Teachers not leaving cover work, I’m still relatively new to the school - so there’s the disruptive behaviour, logging and reprimanding I’ve to deal with. Any issues I had are with those students I have been supervising rather than my own students I teach.

Make sure you have a record of all of your hours kept. You must have 11 hours subbing done already. If for argument sake your supervision worjs out at 22 hours for the entire year then you only have 10 more sub periods to do.

I wonder is the new breastfeeding circular casusing much of a drain on the s&s hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Your management should have an excel sheet done that shows exactly how many periods you have to give. It should show your breakdown of your substitution and supervision. Lots of teachers in my school will be finished before Christmas which they are quite happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Studentblogger

Between 10 and 15 hours
    I do one Supervision slot per week. It is a Tuesday lunchtime. So this year so far I've done 7 lunchtimes (7 x 40 = 280 / 60 = 4.6 hours)

Doing this every week means that my supervision amounts to 22 hours.

I've covered 8 classes so far this (8 x 40 = 320 / 60 = 5 hours approx).

In the last two years I have definitely been asked to cover more classes than ever before. This year teachers in my school are meticulous with their records, mainly in response to this increase.

If this continues, I will have fulfilled my substitution hours by the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

True but you can be called to cover any absence as the school may not be able to get a sub for that day, such is the shortage. In theory S&s is available for all supervision duties that are required, within allocated or agreed times. I find myself calling on staff a good bit already because there's a good bit of illness already coupled with lack of subs.
    You should keep your own records along with record of sick days but I find they usually tally. The risk I foresee is that s&s will hit the limit and we'll be left with no choice than to stop any teachers going anywhere with students or in service. It's a very serious situation in all schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Between 15 and 20 hours
    Have 10 1/2 hrs done so far. With any luck I'll be done with the classes by March and not have anymore to do for the last couple of months.

We do a morning break (15 mins) a lunchtime (35 mins) and whatever classes we're called for then.

Our fifth years are doin work experience next week so we'll probably get called to cover when we would of had those classes next week but they obv don't count for S&S

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Between 15 and 20 hours
    Just calculated that I’ve done 7.3 hours supervision in a class and 3.5 hours on lunch time supervision. Seems average enough. We do half an hour a week for corridor and then get caught for one or two classroom supervisions a week. We’re lucky we don’t have many staff absences.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Hey guys, just noticed something here. Are the S & S hours limited. I am now in a full time position but just realised I must have been taken for a ride last year as a student teacher. I was made cover 1 lunch and 1 break per week , amounting to 50 minutes per week, with 0 reparation of course.
    On topic though, I’ve been doing max 3 classes a week subbing and 1 lunch a week.
    Also , do we get paid for these hours in Asti?

Between 15 and 20 hours
    Can someone explain and clarify what exactly the substitution part of this scheme can be used for? Is it just to cover teachers gone to matches, field trips, etc.?

My frustration over S&S has really come to a head today.Match on school grounds today. Down to cover a class at 12:20. Match started at 11, looked out to the field, it was over by 12. So coach/teacher had plenty of time to have his tea and sandwich and then make his way to his 12:20 class. Nope! Didn't happen.

Am I being unreasonable here? This again, was my second time being called this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The S&s scheme is to effectively cover absences. It can't be used for curricular provision. Some years where there are plenty of subs, you might do some substitution. Currently there's a shortage of subs so you get called more.
    Your own situation today would be mirrored frequently in all schools. It's hard to overcome it as it can only be raised as a whole staff issue. But you could get a bite back that you're being petty compared to all the time training takes place etc. Your annoyance could cause bigger tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Can someone explain and clarify what exactly the substitution part of this scheme can be used for? Is it just to cover teachers gone to matches, field trips, etc.?

My frustration over S&S has really come to a head today.Match on school grounds today. Down to cover a class at 12:20. Match started at 11, looked out to the field, it was over by 12. So coach/teacher had plenty of time to have his tea and sandwich and then make his way to his 12:20 class. Nope! Didn't happen.

Am I being unreasonable here? This again, was my second time being called this week.

Yes you are.

Between 15 and 20 hours
    seavill wrote: »
    Yes you are.

How?

How?

The small break that teacher missed that presumably you got is 20 mins.

So if the match finished at 12.00 (which if it did finish exactly by 12 and start at 11 it’s the quickest match I’ve ever seen play with obviously no break for half time either) they have to get in off the pitch get the kids changed collect the gear get the kids out of the dressing room. Put away all the gear. Pay the ref etc. That’s all well more than 20 mins without even getting a break.

Taking a match is not a few classes off it’s a nightmare. Trying to organise one and fit one in that suits two schools at the same time is almost impossible this year. Several calls and texts and visits to the DP. Followed by booking the pitch and referee organising and meeting the kids beforehand. Getting all the jerseys and gear ready. Leaving work for your classes. Correcting that after.

The teacher is not looking for a few classes off it’s much easier to stay in class. More than likely based on experience the first time the teacher got to have a cup of tea would be 12.30. That teacher could have been in class from 9 until leaving for the match and going non stop until 12.30. So they should kill them selves and get back early and have no break so you don’t have to cover S&S?

You are going to get caught for the same number of classes over a year in reality whether it’s that class or another. It’s certainly not worth getting worked up over.
    And it’s certainly not the fault of the sports teacher or them taking advantage of you.

• Advertisement

Between 15 and 20 hours

So if the match finished at 12.00 (which if it did finish exactly by 12 and start at 11 it’s the quickest match I’ve ever seen play with obviously no break for half time either) they have to get in off the pitch get the kids changed collect the gear get the kids out of the dressing room. Put away all the gear. Pay the ref etc. That’s all well more than 20 mins without even getting a break.

Taking a match is not a few classes off it’s a nightmare. Trying to organise one and fit one in that suits two schools at the same time is almost impossible this year. Several calls and texts and visits to the DP. Followed by booking the pitch and referee organising and meeting the kids beforehand. Getting all the jerseys and gear ready. Leaving work for your classes. Correcting that after.

The teacher is not looking for a few classes off it’s much easier to stay in class. More than likely based on experience the first time the teacher got to have a cup of tea would be 12.30. That teacher could have been in class from 9 until leaving for the match and going non stop until 12.30. So they should kill them selves and get back early and have no break so you don’t have to cover S&S?

You are going to get caught for the same number of classes over a year in reality whether it’s that class or another. It’s certainly not worth getting worked up over.
    And it’s certainly not the fault of the sports teacher or them taking advantage of you.

Ok, I'm fully aware of the difficulties of organising matches and the logistics of it. And I am now fully aware that I have been in fact killing myself rushing to classes being covered for - because I have arrived back to school earlier than expected.

Maybe this wasn't the issue then that I was broaching, but the fact that this is my fourth week, I've done 2 hours of substitution along with my usual 30 mins of supervision. I suppose on the bright side I'll be done before Christmas and it'll be a very happy new year to me

Ok, I'm fully aware of the difficulties of organising matches and the logistics of it. And I am now fully aware that I have been in fact killing myself rushing to classes being covered for - because I have arrived back to school earlier than expected.

Maybe this wasn't the issue then that I was broaching, but the fact that this is my fourth week, I've done 2 hours of substitution along with my usual 30 mins of supervision. I suppose on the bright side I'll be done before Christmas and it'll be a very happy new year to me

Yea just think of the last few months when you’re S&S has run out. Will be amazing

Between 5 and 10 hours

This 100%.
    Have been training school teams for 16 years. The last couple of years there definetly is more hassle arranging fixtures and it will become a nightmare once the CBA's kick in. The easiest thing in the world is not to train a team. However for all the hardship there is enjoyment out of working outside the classroom with the kids.

Between 5 and 10 hours
    Tacadh wrote: »
    Hey guys, just noticed something here. Are the S & S hours limited. I am now in a full time position but just realised I must have been taken for a ride last year as a student teacher. I was made cover 1 lunch and 1 break per week , amounting to 50 minutes per week, with 0 reparation of course.
    On topic though, I’ve been doing max 3 classes a week subbing and 1 lunch a week.
    Also , do we get paid for these hours in Asti?

Yes, S&S is limited. Max of 3 hours combined in any week. Total of 43 for the year.
    Yes you were taken advantage of last year. Student teachers do not have to do S&S, however many schools ask them and obviously most will not know or will do it to make a good impression.
    Finally, you are being paid. It is now included as part of your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Between 10 and 15 hours
    Finally, you are being paid. It is now included as part of your salary.

whoop de ****ing do

Between 10 and 15 hours
    By today, 25 February, I've done 26 hours of the maximum 43 hours S&S.

How many hours has everybody else done with 12 school weeks to go until summer? (we should probably delete the old poll and start a new one but I can't edit it)

Between 15 and 20 hours
    gaiscioch wrote: »
    By today, 25 February, I've done 26 hours of the maximum 43 hours S&S.

How many hours has everybody else done with 12 school weeks to go until summer? (we should probably delete the old poll and start a new one but I can't edit it)

23 hours

Advertisement