If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home cinema build

Options
  • 19-10-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi,

Moving into a new house soon and want to buy an AVR and a few speakers, either a 2.1 or 3.0 setup based on peoples recommendations and then upgrade over next year to 5.1. The room is around 15x18 feet if that matters and the system will be used mainly for movies and tv rather than music. My current TV is a Samsung 48" J6300 if that matters.

So far i've been looking at:

1. AVR: Either the Denon x2400h or Sony STRDN1080, reasoning for these is to future proof the system and all of the reviews for them are fantastic.

2. Side Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 1 or Wharfdale Diamond 220

3. Center channel : Monitor Audio Bronze Center

4. Subwoofer: No idea about these but if it's worth picking up one instead of the center speaker i'll do it if one is recommended.

5. Speaker cable: Is there a recommended speaker cable to run between the AVR and speakers?

I'm open to recommendations on changing any of these based on peoples experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

TheSegal wrote: »
    Hi,

Moving into a new house soon and want to buy an AVR and a few speakers, either a 2.1 or 3.0 setup based on peoples recommendations and then upgrade over next year to 5.1. The room is around 15x18 feet if that matters and the system will be used mainly for movies and tv rather than music. My current TV is a Samsung 48" J6300 if that matters.

So far i've been looking at:

1. AVR: Either the Denon x2400h or Sony STRDN1080, reasoning for these is to future proof the system and all of the reviews for them are fantastic.

2. Side Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 1 or Wharfdale Diamond 220

3. Center channel : Monitor Audio Bronze Center

4. Subwoofer: No idea about these but if it's worth picking up one instead of the center speaker i'll do it if one is recommended.

5. Speaker cable: Is there a recommended speaker cable to run between the AVR and speakers?

I'm open to recommendations on changing any of these based on peoples experience.

Thanks
    Hi TheSegal.

Thanks for dropping us a post.

Both the 2400 and the 1080 are great amps and both got 5 star reviews in What HiFi.

The 2400 is priced at £349.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-denon-avrx2400-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

The Sony 1080 coming in at £429.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

You could not go wrong with either of these!

If it was me I would go for the Bronze 1's with the Bronze centre for a 3.0 setup and add the rears and the sub as you go.
    The centre speaker is required for 5.1 as it would cover pretty much all dialogue for movies.

I could offer a deal on the Bronze 1's and the Centre for £315 delivered. I use Monitor Audio's myself at home a swear by them.

Speaker cable to connect them to the amp starts at £1.19 per meter:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

For the bronze I would recommend something like the QED Micro priced at £2.50 per meter. I could offer this at £1.75 per meter.

For a subwoofer it would use a different kind of cable. It is connected via a single phono to phono.
    Cambridge do a 7.5m one priced at £19.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10538-cambridge-audio-aud100-7-5m-subwoofer-cable-subwoofer-lead.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

That all sounds great Kenny, thanks for the really quick response! I'm going to go with the Denon 2400 based on some more reviews i've read over the weekend along with the bronze 1 and bronze center, i'll pick up a subwoofer in the new year after some more research.

How do I go about ordering and getting the monitor audio speaker bundle for £315 that you mentioned?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

TheSegal wrote: »
    That all sounds great Kenny, thanks for the really quick response! I'm going to go with the Denon 2400 based on some more reviews i've read over the weekend along with the bronze 1 and bronze center, i'll pick up a subwoofer in the new year after some more research.

How do I go about ordering and getting the monitor audio speaker bundle for £315 that you mentioned?

Thanks
    Hey TheSegal.

No problem at all.

If you want to drop me your contact number in a PM then we can give you a little call for details :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.