Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard query for Ryzen build

Options
  • 19-10-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm upgrading my old Pc at the moment and have bought all the new parts bar the motherboard .

It was a Pentium G630 ,with 16 Gb of DDR3 Ram ,a Gigabyte P61-DS3-B3 motherboard ,a 240 GB SSD ,2TB Sata HDD and a couple of smaller 250GB IDE drives .
    The Graphics card was a Radeon 6670 as I no longer game .

It had a PCI Sil ATA controller for the IDE drives and the DVD drive.
    I also had an Audigy 2 and a PCI wireless card but I mostly used the Lan port.
    I didnt use the Audigy as it had some issue with noise in Win 7.

The new build is a Ryzen 7 1700x with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo heatsink, and 32GB of GSkill Sniper 3000Mhz Ram.
    I'm reusing the 240GB SSD and the 2TB HDD ,I've also added a new 2TB HDD .
    500w PSU can be reused ,its a good one.

I will keep the same Graphics card for the time being .

My main question is should I go for the X370 or B350 motherboard .
    I'm thinking of these 2
    MSI X370 GAMING PLUS or the MSI B350 TOMAHAWK

The X370 has more specs but it has no PCI slots so I can't use the Audigy 2 or Wlan card or Ide DVD-drive .

Im not sure if the Audigy 2 even has Win 10 drivers and I wont be using the Ide hard drives anymore.

Any recommendations as to what I should choose ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What do you plan on using the PC for? Without knowing what you need the PC to do, it's hard to recommend which chipset to pick.

Unless you're doing seriously heavy workloads, 32GB is pretty overkill for ram and considering current ram prices rather expensive. The onboard sound on current motherboards ranges from pretty damn good to really really good, so unless you are a major audiophile I wouldn't base motherboard choice on being able to re-use a decade old sound card. The LAN ports on current motherboards are also light years ahead of the older plug-in cards so again its not something I feel needs to be taken into account when picking a motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Venom wrote: »
    What do you plan on using the PC for? Without knowing what you need the PC to do, it's hard to recommend which chipset to pick.

Unless you're doing seriously heavy workloads, 32GB is pretty overkill for ram and considering current ram prices rather expensive. The onboard sound on current motherboards ranges from pretty damn good to really really good, so unless you are a major audiophile I wouldn't base motherboard choice on being able to re-use a decade old sound card. The LAN ports on current motherboards are also light years ahead of the older plug-in cards so again its not something I feel needs to be taken into account when picking a motherboard.

Thanks Venom, the PC will be used mostly by my brother ,he plays alot of online poker so will be running holdem manager and other software packages as well as a possible emulator/simulator .

He says he need 32GB as there is a fair bit of number crunching involved .

Ive already bought the Ram ,the Cpu ,heatsink so the only thing I need is the motherboard.

Other usage would be general internet browsing, microsof office ,basic enough stuff really that the previous spec handled fine its just the multi task processes that it struggled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I've no experience with the poker stuff myself but from looking at similar build types on Reddit, the B350 chipset seems to be the common pick. Maybe one of the other regulars on here knows more about what setup would suit your brother best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I think given the fact your not going to be running SLI, then a b350 mobo is more then adequate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sure get a B450, it's backwards compatible with the 1700X.

I recommend the MSI B450 Gaming Plus.

BTW you might get unlucky and find the Radeon is incompatible with AM4.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sure get a B450, it's backwards compatible with the 1700X.

I recommend the MSI B450 Gaming Plus.

BTW you might get unlucky and find the Radeon is incompatible with AM4.

What advantages would the 450 have over the other 2 ?
    It looks a good board .

It seems the 450 has support for Store MI and better idling over the 350.
    The X370 seems to have more bells and whistles than the 450 ,not sure if I would be making any use of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zardoz wrote: »
    What advantages would the 450 have over the other 2 ?
    It looks a good board .

It seems the 450 has support for Store MI and better idling over the 350.
    The X370 seems to have more bells and whistles than the 450 ,not sure if I would be making any use of them though.

StoreMI would be a compelling feature win for B450 IMHO

Advertisement