Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from a 6s Plus to 8 Plus worth it?

• 19-10-2018 12:43pm

I’m thinking about upgrading my 6s Plus to a 8 Plus is it worth it as it? I don’t have that kinda of money for an XS or even an XR lol to dear but I could afford an 8 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I’m thinking about upgrading my 6s Plus to a 8 Plus is it worth it as it? I don’t have that kinda of money for an XS or even an XR lol to dear but I could afford an 8 Plus

I did the same last December. Worthwhile upgrade IMO. Still have it and love it. Will stump for the MAX at some point I'm sure but really happy with the 8+ currently.

dodzy wrote: »
    I did the same last December. Worthwhile upgrade IMO. Still have it and love it. Will stump for the MAX at some point I'm sure but really happy with the 8+ currently.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Yeah, would be worth it but if you could stretch the extra €69 and get the XR I would. Battery life on it will be miles ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shn99 wrote: »
    Yeah, would be worth it but if you could stretch the extra €69 and get the XR I would. Battery life on it will be miles ahead

I'm also looking at upgrading my iPhone 6S. I see you recommend the XR over the 8.

The XR is 449.99 on Vodafone Red Connect for a 256GB but the 8+ is 349.99 and only 64GB.

Therefore the XR seems cheaper or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Isn't that plan like €60 a month though?

OP presumably wants the phone sim free / PAYG.

--

6S Plus to 8Plus is a decent jump, the cameras being the main difference. Added bonus of keeping TouchID.

You should be able to get a new model on Adverts for a fairly decent price.

I want to move back to Vodafone though and is that not the best option?

• Advertisement

As Mr.S says, buy separate. That Red connect is an utter ripoff, and always has been. There are too many competitive PAYG options out there now. VF have finally got their act together in this regard.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mr.S wrote: »
    It really is. Just to use his example as a point:

iPhone XR 128GB = €449.99 upfront
    Red Connect: €60 p/m on a 24 month (:eek:) contract = €1,440
    Total 2 years = €1,889.99.

You'd wonder why people go for it?
    In the 60 quid a month plan you get:

1. Free Spotify (worth a tenner a month) or free Sky Sports
    2. Almost twice as much data as the best PAYG plan (15GB vs 8gb).
    3. Lower call rates for out-of-bundle calls.

iPhone XR 128GB - 939
    PAYG x 24 months @ 30 p/m - 720
    Total - 1659

Saving is ~230 euro, or ~20 a month, but with free spotify (which essentially halves the cost) and twice the data.

When you add it up, the saving is not all that great. And you don't have to bother with the topping up nonsense to boot. I would also imagine there is an element of people not wanting to, or not being able to fork out the full whack for the phone up front. Bill pay is an easy way to get the phone without needing a credit card.

Personally, I always buy my phone outright and I just stick with the Vodafone SIM only plans. But the full bill pay is not awful, and PAYG is not all that great either.

awec wrote: »
    In the 60 quid a month plan you get:

1. Free Spotify (worth a tenner a month) or free Sky Sports
    2. Almost twice as much data as the best PAYG plan (15GB vs 8gb).
    3. Lower call rates for out-of-bundle calls.

iPhone XR 128GB - 939
    PAYG x 24 months @ 30 p/m - 720
    Total - 1659

Saving is ~230 euro, or ~20 a month, but with free spotify (which essentially halves the cost) and twice the data.

When you add it up, the saving is not all that great. And you don't have to bother with the topping up nonsense to boot. I would also imagine there is an element of people not wanting to, or not being able to fork out the full whack for the phone up front. Bill pay is an easy way to get the phone without needing a credit card.

Personally, I always buy my phone outright and I just stick with the Vodafone SIM only plans. But the full bill pay is not awful, and PAYG is not all that great either.

With the data user plan or Voda X, the savings increase to not far off €500 over the term. Gets attractive. but valid point about many not having the € to stump up in the first place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Spotify is definitely a factor to consider. It's a tenner a month (€240 over the term) that most people would have to pay if not on a plan. It certainly was a factor in my decision.

The whole thing isn't much different from hire purchase, PCP, mortgage or anything else people don't want to, or can't pay up front.

Advertisement