Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Maths Higher Level Books

Options
  • 19-10-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi There

My Daughter is in second year in a Ipad learing school and she's currently trying to do Higher level Maths in the Junior Cycle.
    I used to be handy at the maths a few decades ago!! so I'd said I'd give her a hand. The trouble is they do all there exercises on the Ipad and its difficult for me to help her with that. So I asked if the Teacher would recommend a Text book for this? The answer came back that they don't use text books so couldn't recommend one!! A bit lame I taught, as far as I'm aware they still have to sit the exam using the old fashioned pens and paper!!
    I've had a look on line and seem to have found 4 different ones, all I'm sure covers the syllabus. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of using these and could recommend one over the others. All advise will be greatly appreciated and if there is another option I don't know about please feel free to let me know.
    The 4 I know about is are:
    1/ Text & Tests 2 (theres 2 books one coving ordinary level and then a second covering the higher level) I thing you need both the cover the full sylabus.
    2/ Active Maths 1 and 2, 1 covers 1st year and up to 3rd year in the ordinary level and no 2 covers the extra higher level content, these also come with work books which I'm a fan off.
    3/ Project Maths 1 and 2, similar to above but no workbooks.
    4/ Connect with Maths 1 and 2, same setup to the one above.
    I'm sure all three cover all the sylabus and there all roughly the same price, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different ones. Someone whos used and tried them all like a teacher opinion would be most welcome.
    One final thing, I've not personally held any of these books in my hand, and quick scan through them in person may answer my own questions, but any advise I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OldHouse wrote: »
    Hi There

My Daughter is in second year in a Ipad learing school and she's currently trying to do Higher level Maths in the Junior Cycle.
    I used to be handy at the maths a few decades ago!! so I'd said I'd give her a hand. The trouble is they do all there exercises on the Ipad and its difficult for me to help her with that. So I asked if the Teacher would recommend a Text book for this? The answer came back that they don't use text books so couldn't recommend one!! A bit lame I taught, as far as I'm aware they still have to sit the exam using the old fashioned pens and paper!!
    I've had a look on line and seem to have found 4 different ones, all I'm sure covers the syllabus. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of using these and could recommend one over the others. All advise will be greatly appreciated and if there is another option I don't know about please feel free to let me know.
    The 4 I know about is are:
    1/ Text & Tests 2 (theres 2 books one coving ordinary level and then a second covering the higher level) I thing you need both the cover the full sylabus.
    2/ Active Maths 1 and 2, 1 covers 1st year and up to 3rd year in the ordinary level and no 2 covers the extra higher level content, these also come with work books which I'm a fan off.
    3/ Project Maths 1 and 2, similar to above but no workbooks.
    4/ Connect with Maths 1 and 2, same setup to the one above.
    I'm sure all three cover all the sylabus and there all roughly the same price, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different ones. Someone whos used and tried them all like a teacher opinion would be most welcome.
    One final thing, I've not personally held any of these books in my hand, and quick scan through them in person may answer my own questions, but any advise I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Might be easier just to work through the content on the iPad. Is there any blocking issue with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

Might be easier just to work through the content on the iPad. Is there any blocking issue with this?

There’s no blocking issue as such. But It’s more difficult for two people to look at a iPad screen than looking on a book. It’s might be something to do with the viewing angles. I also find it’s hard to browse through iPad content than flicking through a book, maybe I’m old fashioned that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im probably not answering your question but i have a son in second year and we have been using khanacademy for years. you could set up an account to track progress and just focus on doing the questions on a laptop, though there are videos too if there any gaps. Algebra 1 has a good overlap with parts of the JC.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OldHouse wrote: »
    There’s no blocking issue as such. But It’s more difficult for two people to look at a iPad screen than looking on a book. It’s might be something to do with the viewing angles. I also find it’s hard to browse through iPad content than flicking through a book, maybe I’m old fashioned that way!

Fair enough, I wonder if there is a textbook from the same people that do the iPad app. Is there any branding or author names on the iPad version that would help you? I'd be afraid that a different book might confuse things more than it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

Fair enough, I wonder if there is a textbook from the same people that do the iPad app. Is there any branding or author names on the iPad version that would help you? I'd be afraid that a different book might confuse things more than it helps.

I will have a look into that, but I'm sure the ilearning course is just a derivative of the Junior cycle sylabus, so I would assume all the books and the ilearning course follow this. I'm just trying to see which book is the most intuitive i guess, but if the the online course has an affiliation with a book I can see the merits in that too. Thanks I will check later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement