Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping from Ireland

Options
  • 19-10-2018 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldnt find it.
    Im looking at starting an online business and looking at shipping rates on my product. FBAmazon is one option but I'm wondering how other start ups deal with the crazy shipping rates from UPS etc when shipping product abroad.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

phanley wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldnt find it.
    Im looking at starting an online business and looking at shipping rates on my product. FBAmazon is one option but I'm wondering how other start ups deal with the crazy shipping rates from UPS etc when shipping product abroad.
    Thanks

What we've done is store our products with 2 separate fulfilment houses. One in the UK, specifically for UK orders and one in Ireland for Ireland and Europe.

Next day delivery is vital for our products and IRL to UK next day is tough to achieve.
    What size / weight products are you dealing with and what locations, mainly UK or further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

JMR wrote: »
    What we've done is store our products with 2 separate fulfilment houses. One in the UK, specifically for UK orders and one in Ireland for Ireland and Europe.

Next day delivery is vital for our products and IRL to UK next day is tough to achieve.
    What size / weight products are you dealing with and what locations, mainly UK or further afield?

Looking at UK and Europe, I'd be starting this from the ground up. Basically looking at shipping Jewelry that is mostly homemade.
    2 fulfillment centers arent really an option for me at this stage, as Im just starting it from a spare room.
    with the quotes Im getting on shipping it makes the cost to the buyer far too much and the business a failure before it gets off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I'd recommend buying a large bundle of padded envelopes from eBay and just start with An post. Perhaps you can insure some of the more expensive orders and use registered post.

I would question if someone buying jewellery from an online website really needs next day delivery. Would they not be happy with 3-5 business days? They'd be waiting 6 weeks from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

phanley wrote: »
    Looking at UK and Europe, I'd be starting this from the ground up. Basically looking at shipping Jewelry that is mostly homemade.
    2 fulfillment centers arent really an option for me at this stage, as Im just starting it from a spare room.
    with the quotes Im getting on shipping it makes the cost to the buyer far too much and the business a failure before it gets off the ground

Agree with another posters suggestion to use An Post to begin with.
    Next day delivery to UK should not be a requirement for your products (I would think?).
    We also started off with products stored in a spare room at home and daily trips to the post office, so it's definitely the way to start up and prove to yourself that you have a business before making any large investment.
    Best of luck with it, shout if you have any other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Speak to your AnPost regional rep about business rates,. For 2,000 or less parcels per year, tracked and signed next day delivery in ROI for €5 ex vat. UK tracked and signed for €8.73 ex vat. There doesn't seem to be a minimum volume that they are strict on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bibinc1982

I was also looking for an answer to this question?. When I buy items from UK , people use "myhermes" to send items very cheap . Here I am trying to sell an HDMI cable or similar product which is 100-250 gm including the cover. When I checked with AnPost to send item to Dublin from Wicklow they told the charge will be 5 euro. My item itself will cost only four euro. So people will not buy the item. So I can't sell the item in ebay with postage.

Advertisement