Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New i7-9700K and i9-9900K

Options
  • 19-10-2018 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

I see hardware unboxed and Gamers Nexus had very differnt OCing results. Have to say I'm disapointed, but not suprised, at the thermal performance.

I was very interested to see the performance difference given the VRM on the Mobo.

I thought this generation was the time to upgrade but maybe I'll hold off. My 4790K is on it's last legs I think but still doing the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

It's an extremely impressive processor, with the single threaded and multi-threaded grunt. There always was a compromise between the two that's got less noticable in recent years, but this one really does away with that.

Although with me I'm a bit cheap, I figure if I'm not going to notice the performance difference there's no point in ponying up the price premium. As a result, my 6700k will last me another year at least I reckon.

60FPS for me is fine in games too (some want 90 or 120+), so I'd be fine on a whole slew of CPUs most likely, 2600X, 2700X, 8600k, 8700k and probably more I'm missing. This is such a nice change from 3/4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

z0oT wrote: »
    It's an extremely impressive processor, with the single threaded and multi-threaded grunt. There always was a compromise between the two that's got less noticable in recent years, but this one really does away with that.

Although with me I'm a bit cheap, I figure if I'm not going to notice the performance difference there's no point in ponying up the price premium. As a result, my 6700k will last me another year at least I reckon.

60FPS for me is fine in games too (some want 90 or 120+), so I'd be fine on a whole slew of CPUs most likely, 2600X, 2700X, 8600k, 8700k and probably more I'm missing. This is such a nice change from 3/4 years ago.

AMD wins the value / performance contest with ease right now, can't say I'd build an Intel PC at the moment, the heat these new yokes were putting out was insane, reminds me of the old P4 days when they had nothing new, they just got better yields so speed, heat and TDP (and prices) went up but it was nothing new. The Jedi Strikes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Inquitus wrote: »
    AMD wins the value / performance contest with ease right now, can't say I'd build an Intel PC at the moment, the heat these new yokes were putting out was insane, reminds me of the old P4 days when they had nothing new, they just got better yields so speed, heat and TDP (and prices) went up but it was nothing new. The Jedi Strikes back!

If you're like me and you've an ITX system, they're probably not the best to go for because of that very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Inquitus wrote: »
    ...reminds me of the old P4 days when they had nothing new, they just got better yields so speed, heat and TDP (and prices) went up but it was nothing new. The Jedi Strikes back!

Got to agree with you there, that is totally what's happening.

Advertisement