Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight Issues

• 19-10-2018 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey there , I am gonna keep it short, My eyesight is unaided 6/120 , when corrected it is 6/4, I can not find any eyesight requirements on the website , anyone have info on this? Cheers lads,
    I checked with the army and my hopes are gone for that, I hope that the guards don't have the same requirements.
    Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

MasterLeia wrote: »
    Hey there , I am gonna keep it short, My eyesight is unaided 6/120 , when corrected it is 6/4, I can not find any eyesight requirements on the website , anyone have info on this? Cheers lads,
    I checked with the army and my hopes are gone for that, I hope that the guards don't have the same requirements.
    Cheers lads.

You'll have to get laser. Think the max is 6/18 unaided correctable to 6/9, 6/12. Can't remember exactly. If you don't get laser now, at the medical they will give you six months to get it done. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 S_e_a_n

If you can, get the laser surgery done, medical could be some time away, got mine done in June , Optician said I should go for the Lasek surgery (5day recovery for the Guards as this would prevent scarring) but I opted for the Lasik (walk in walk out) as I have friends that passed the medical with that one , got my eyes checked yesterday 20/20 with no scarring , would be just one less hurdle, least you can go for the medical and hopefully pass first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

I have -2.00 prescription and yeah, I will need laser if I pass my interview I will get it done. I went for a consultation with Optilase and they told me that you are better to get the PRK which has a slightly longer recovery of a few days, but your eyes actually heal naturally and someone looking at your eyes cannot tell you had it done.

Whereas, the other laser that is walk in walk out (fast recovery) actually creates a flap, that they say if you got a knock to (a decent punch to the face or something) you could actually bust and mess your eyes up, and that they can actually tell you had this laser surgery done, and that in other countries, they would not let you join the police/fire/army if you had this surgery, but that in Ireland it's a gray area, like you might be allowed in the guards but its not recommended, since you are at risk if you got a blow to the face, could cause complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

bottar1 wrote: »
    I have -2.00 prescription and yeah, I will need laser if I pass my interview I will get it done. I went for a consultation with Optilase and they told me that you are better to get the PRK which has a slightly longer recovery of a few days, but your eyes actually heal naturally and someone looking at your eyes cannot tell you had it done.

Whereas, the other laser that is walk in walk out (fast recovery) actually creates a flap, that they say if you got a knock to (a decent punch to the face or something) you could actually bust and mess your eyes up, and that they can actually tell you had this laser surgery done, and that in other countries, they would not let you join the police/fire/army if you had this surgery, but that in Ireland it's a gray area, like you might be allowed in the guards but its not recommended, since you are at risk if you got a blow to the face, could cause complications.

It's not a Gray area it's a flat out no.
    If the know you have got the flap laser they will not take you in. You're a liability.
    That includes the gardai and the defence forces.
    I have had prk done through optilase and it's worth every penny

Lasek is another alternative to PRK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

userunkown wrote: »
    If the know you have got the flap laser they will not take you in. You're a liability.

^Jeez bad news for the chap a few posts above that had it done

Strider wrote: »
    ^Jeez bad news for the chap a few posts above that had it done

If he had mentioned anything to do with contact sports, or the garda then they would have told him he needed PRK, so it's likely he avoided answering truthfully to the questions they asked, or withheld the information because he feared the recommendation of PRK.

I mean PRK is the better surgery in almost every way from what the consultant described to me, and the only reason I can see people wouldn't do it is the slightly longer recovery time which does sound daunting but in the end is better and seems worth it.

You completely avoid having a flap and your eyes heal fully like you never had surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

bottar1 wrote: »
    I have -2.00 prescription and yeah, I will need laser if I pass my interview I will get it done.

I'm - 1.5. I can't figure out how to convert it, do you (or anyone else even) know if I will need to get it done?

I'm - 1.5. I can't figure out how to convert it, do you (or anyone else even) know if I will need to get it done?

It doesn't convert exactly. There are some online tests you can try. But probably best to fork out E15 in specsavers or somewhere similar and find out. You could be borderline or you could need it done. If you need glasses to legally drive then you will have to get laser eye surgery, I think the driving limit is 6/18 too but you would have to check.

Lasek or PRK are the recommended surgery options for contact sports/physical careers. SMILE is another alternative but hugely expensive and only available in one clinic in Dublin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Elliot192 wrote: »
    It doesn't convert exactly. There are some online tests you can try. But probably best to fork out E15 in specsavers or somewhere similar and find out. You could be borderline or you could need it done. If you need glasses to legally drive then you will have to get laser eye surgery, I think the driving limit is 6/18 too but you would have to check.

Lasek or PRK are the recommended surgery options for contact sports/physical careers. SMILE is another alternative but hugely expensive and only available in one clinic in Dublin I think.

Cheers, need glasses for driving alright so will start saving the pennies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

So I was told in my medical I would need the laser eye surgery. I went to the Wellington eye clinic in June and got it done. They recommended to me to get the lasik but I chose the lasek option just to have my mind at ease if I ever did get a hit to the face. However, the surgeon said that it would take a severe severe blow for the lasik flap to be dislodged. He’s had a patient that had lasik and got a Hurley to the eyes and the flap never dislodged. He also said he has had numerous patients going for the guards that got the lasik. It’s not a rule to get a certain one done for the Guards.

So I was told in my medical I would need the laser eye surgery. I went to the Wellington eye clinic in June and got it done. They recommended to me to get the lasik but I chose the lasek option just to have my mind at ease if I ever did get a hit to the face. However, the surgeon said that it would take a severe severe blow for the lasik flap to be dislodged. He’s had a patient that had lasik and got a Hurley to the eyes and the flap never dislodged. He also said he has had numerous patients going for the guards that got the lasik. It’s not a rule to get a certain one done for the Guards.

A hurl to the eye that didn't dislodge the flap - that's incredible! And good to know. I freaked myself out watching videos before my laser. One was of a patient who had lasik 10 years previous and the surgeon could still find and lift the flap without having to cut anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bullonabike17

Throw in contacts and go in you'll be fine..many many people have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 S_e_a_n

I did advise I was going for the Guards, optician advised to go for the Lasek but I opted for Lasik, over 4 months ago and recently gotten an eye test >no flap or scarring< very active in sports one of which is hard contact, plus I have a friend currently in templemore training after Lasik surgery, its peoples opinion, not set that you must go for Lasek

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Was informed by an current member it was..
    With everything it's only if they fund out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had their medical deferred in order to get laser eye surgery?

If so, Does anyone have a ball park figure for how much it will cost and the best clinic to go to?

Thanks
    C:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SrcmabdleGegs

Hi Guys,

If so, Does anyone have a ball park figure for how much it will cost and the best clinic to go to?

Thanks

I did the medical, knowing it might not go well. Failed on one eye. So got that sorted. They give you six months to come back to them with a report.
    I went to the Wellington Eye Clinic (in the Beacon), pretty pleased with them, but obviously I haven't been anywhere else.

Depends on what type of laser you end up going for but I'd expect to pay between €1900 and €2200 per eye. From memory, the Matter Private was a similar price.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I went with Dr O'Keeffe in the Mater Private as he has lots of experience and is well renowned.. Got LASEK (no flap - would recommend, and they will recommend it if you do anything involving contact, as LASIK will leave a flap that can come loose years afterwards, whereas LASEK you have no flap, your eye heals naturally and its like you never had laser if checked years later).

It was just 2 months ago that I got the surgery and I have better than 20/20 vision now and no side effects. Next check-up is Friday I expect I'll be able to read a few lines below 20/20 on the chart.

(Was about -2.25 in both eyes prior to it)

Total cost was about €3800-€3900 including the consultation.

--

Originally I got consultations with Optilase but they were very pushy, calling me all the time to get set up and the cost was only like €500 less, and wouldn't even meet the surgeon till the day of the surgery. Definitely way more re-assuring going with the Mater, not saying things are wrong with Optilase and those kind of business crowds, but if I ever see any negatives on this forum or otherwise, its usually Optilase or a similar crowd.

Go to a hospital and get it done, it's your eyes, worth a few extra bob for safety, and better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Goldk12

I did the medical, knowing it might not go well. Failed on one eye. So got that sorted. They give you six months to come back to them with a report.
    I went to the Wellington Eye Clinic (in the Beacon), pretty pleased with them, but obviously I haven't been anywhere else.

Depends on what type of laser you end up going for but I'd expect to pay between €1900 and €2200 per eye. From memory, the Matter Private was a similar price.

Hi SrcmabdleGegs,

I too had the same as you, knew going into the medical that my vision may let me down.

I have my laser surgery in the Wellington this Friday August 23rd.

What sort of report did you get and do you request this from the Wellington? Also have you sent it forward to Garda HQ? Did you have to redo the medical or are you still waiting on a date?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as after laser surgery I hope the process will be quick because I hope to get into the next intake. I have everything else done so here's hoping laser will go well and I will get the call for the next batch.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

userunkown wrote: »

Can you quote your source before you start panicking people?!

I had LASIK 10 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. -0.5 now and hoping I won't need it again. 🀷ðŸ»

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Throw in contacts and go in you'll be fine..many many people have done it.

is there any truth to this? do they actually not check your eyes to see if there is contacts in? seems a bit far fetched

Does anyone have any information on surgery? I am in currently in the 2019 campaign and I have my medical pending.

I was originally going to sit the medical first and wait to get the laser done afterwards.

I want to proceed with laser before the medical due to all the Covid delays. Can anyone confirm what surgery is needed for the Garda role as I believe there are different versions available.

Does anyone have any information on surgery? I am in currently in the 2019 campaign and I have my medical pending.

I was originally going to sit the medical first and wait to get the laser done afterwards.

I want to proceed with laser before the medical due to all the Covid delays. Can anyone confirm what surgery is needed for the Garda role as I believe there are different versions available.

prk lasek is needed. i have my consultation with optilase next week so i can post some info i find out then for you, im going to go with blackrock clinic i think as it offers the best after care imo, but il know more after my appointment next week, im in the same boat as you, they give you 6 months to get it done when your inevitably going to fail, so your aswel get it sorted before you go in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

St. Westy wrote: »
    prk lasek is needed. i have my consultation with optilase next week so i can post some info i find out then for you, im going to go with blackrock clinic i think as it offers the best after care imo, but il know more after my appointment next week, im in the same boat as you, they give you 6 months to get it done when your inevitably going to fail, so your aswel get it sorted before you go in the door

I'm from the 2018 campaign. I had to get laser myself didn't pass the medical over my left eye being slightly below the standard. Medical passed now so just waiting on my vetting which is completed I think

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    I'm from the 2018 campaign. I had to get laser myself didn't pass the medical over my left eye being slightly below the standard. Medical passed now so just waiting on my vetting which is completed I think

thats good to hear, so were you wearing glasses/ contacts anyways ? and then the medical deemed your left eye bad?
    out of interest did you get both eyes touched up ? or just the left

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

thats good to hear, so were you wearing glasses/ contacts anyways ? and then the medical deemed your left eye bad?
    out of interest did you get both eyes touched up ? or just the left

I had glasses for driving and that was it really. I got the both of them done because my right eye wasnt to bad but said might as well. 3600 all in.

Brilliant thank you

Have you checked this with the Garda first? I have tried emailing but I am awaiting a response. I would like some official direction from them on the exact procedure just in case.

Imagine we paid a fortune for laser and it turned out we were ineligible.

Brilliant thank you

Have you checked this with the Garda first? I have tried emailing but I am awaiting a response. I would like some official direction from them on the exact procedure just in case.

Imagine we paid a fortune for laser and it turned out we were ineligible.

Yes , it’s well known that Prk is needed for physical type jobs , as with lasik they put a flap on your eye, and it’s said that a good punch or a crash could dislodge the flap , in your consultation they will ask you why your doing it and if you say the guards they will direct you towards prk lasek :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

From the trainee booklet
    Eyesight - good levels of vision (minimum distance vision of 6/18 on both eyes that can be
    corrected to 6/9 and 6/12 with glasses or contact lenses if necessary).
     Eyesight test – An unaided eyesight test will be carried out on the day (glasses/lenses to be
    removed one hour prior to testing).

I wear glasses for years i went in to specsavers with the numbers there and they said I'm within the limits I'd say it's worth the 15euro, although youd probably get it free on prsi, to know now if you will pass or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 cruzex

Hi can anyone help me out? If my eye sight is +5.50 in one eye and +6.00 in another eye would that require laser eye surgery or would I get away with wearing the contacts/glasses?

Advertisement