Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

stimpson wrote: »
    Don't sweat it. It's known as the GOM - or Guess-o-meter. It will estimate your range based on previous driving. Fully charge it, and run it to empty and that should give you a fair idea of your range (although it's worse in winter)

If you are in Dublin I'd be happy to check your actual capacity with the Watchdog.

Thanks for the offer.

Thing is it's not showing fully charged, only half charged on the display.

I d understand if it showed fully charged and 11 miles as its estimating but the fact its showing half full has me worried.

When I run it down to zero will the petrol engine kick automatically to run on it's own or does it start charging the batteries as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer.

Thing is it's not showing fully charged, only half charged on the display.

I d understand if it showed fully charged and 11 miles as its estimating but the fact its showing half full has me worried.

When I run it down to zero will the petrol engine kick automatically to run on it's own or does it start charging the batteries as well?

Did you charge it overnight? If it was only half empty then 11 miles is about right.

When the battery is empty the motor will kick in for a bit and charge it up 1-2%, then turn off, then come back on again etc. If you accelerate hard then it will drive the wheels too.

Did you charge it overnight? If it was only half empty then 11 miles is about right.

When the battery is empty the motor will kick in for a bit and charge it up 1-2%, then turn off, then come back on again etc. If you accelerate hard then it will drive the wheels too.

Left on charge all night. Battery bar only showing half full this morning.

Left on charge all night. Battery bar only showing half full this morning.

Ok. That’s not right. Is there a charge timer set? You can check it on the touch screen.

Ok. That’s not right. Is there a charge timer set? You can check it on the touch screen.

Haven't got the app to work yet and cant see where on the touch screen that can be set

• Advertisement

Haven't got the app to work yet and cant see where on the touch screen that can be set

Info button, then Settings tab, EV Settings, Charging Timer.

Info button, then Settings tab, EV Settings, Charging Timer.

Thanks, unfortunately all switched off. Good idea though.

Were you using the granny cable? there is an LED on it to show if there is an error.

Were you using the granny cable? there is an LED on it to show if there is an error.

Yep granny cable for now. There's a fast charge station close by, going to spin up to that tonight and see does that go past 50%, if it does at least its just the cable, if not something wrong with the batteries.

Cant make it back to the dealer until tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement

Yep granny cable for now. There's a fast charge station close by, going to spin up to that tonight and see does that go past 50%, if it does at least its just the cable, if not something wrong with the batteries.

Cant make it back to the dealer until tomorrow anyway.

I'm 99% sure it's not the battery. Any issues I've seen like this are down to issues with charging.

You need an ESB ecars account and card to use the chargers - have you got one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Battery only half charged and showing 11 miles left.

Stick it on charge at home over night and this morning showing half charged and 11 miles.

Clearly the overnight charge did nothing. Did you confirm that it was actually charging and didnt give an error?

Must be a timer or something that prevented the charge session from starting.

Might be time to pull out the manual?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

sounds like, from your original post, you did plug it in overnight - and tried to full charge it.
    But it sounds like it didn't charge at all - check if there are charge timers set and or location based timing set. Remove all of those and try charging again tonight

edit: snap! what KCross said :)

I'm 99% sure it's not the battery. Any issues I've seen like this are down to issues with charging.

You need an ESB ecars account and card to use the chargers - have you got one?

Just signed up and card on the way. Thought there was a pay as go option as well at the charge points?

KCross wrote: »
    Clearly the overnight charge did nothing. Did you confirm that it was actually charging and didnt give an error?

Must be a timer or something that prevented the charge session from starting.

Might be time to pull out the manual?! :)

Sorry I m not explaining this correctly.

When I picked up the car it was have charged and showing 11 miles.

I drove it yesterday and it was showing less that a quarter charge and 3 miles when I put it on charge last night. Charge light came on dash and on Granny cable display.

This morning after being plugged in for 12 hours, it had been charged back up to 50% with 11 mile range.

I drove it yesterday and it was showing less that a quarter charge and 3 miles when I put it on charge last night. Charge light came on dash and on Granny cable display.

This morning after being plugged in for 12 hours, it had been charged back up to 50% with 11 mile range.

I'd still check timers... if they are set you will not have gotten the full 12 hours of charge.
    If there were no timers - then 12 should easily be enough to charge to 100% --> and if this really happened it looks very odd, take it to a Mitsubishi dealer and get it checked, still under warranty (assuming the odo is not too high)

Ah ok, thats different then.

It would either be a battery problem like you said or a timer/setting that stops it at 50%. I dont know enough about the Outlander menus/timers to advise so I'll leave it to the owners to advise.

Just signed up and card on the way. Thought there was a pay as go option as well at the charge points?

No PAYG, but if you install the ecars app you should be able to initiate the charge with your phone.

I'd still check timers... if they are set you will not have gotten the full 12 hours of charge.
    If there were no timers - then 12 should easily be enough to charge to 100% --> and if this really happened it looks very odd, take it to a Mitsubishi dealer and get it checked, still under warranty (assuming the odo is not too high)

Thanks, times checks and none set.
    Bought from Mitsubishi dealer to avoid problems like this so it's going back tomorrow if the quick charge doesnt get it past 50%

70000 miles and 4 years old. Website has 8 year/100k miles warranty on the batteries.

If it's not covered the car is going back to the dealer and I go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks, times checks and none set.
    Bought from Mitsubishi dealer to avoid problems like this so it's going back tomorrow if the quick charge doesnt get it past 50%

70000 miles and 4 years old. Website has 8 year/100k miles warranty on the batteries.

If it's not covered the car is going back to the dealer and I go somewhere else.

Oh...cool your jets, disconnect the battery and plug in the kettle for a nice warm cup of tea.
    If you are not able to deal with a small situation like this, I don't see you long time in that PHEV ! ;)

My advise is to take photos of the dashboard before, during and after every charge session.
    Bring the car to a fast charger station and give it a full charge. That will bring the battery to almost 80ish. As someone said before, the GOM is a hit and miss, more indication that reality.
    Make sure that the battery charge indicator in the left side goes almost to full. Not the numerical indicator.

Disconnect the cable and drive around for few kilometers.
    Wait until fully discharged and plug in the home charger.
    I'm not sure a granny cable will do magic but at 2Kwish should take almost 6 hours to charge fully.

If the issue persist, with the photos taken from sessions you can bring it to the garage for a quick check. Without photos, is just words AND you may end up without a car for couple of days.

Warranty of 8 years applied ONLY to Irish cars.
    If the car is imported from UK, is only 5 years.
    Even by the dealer, is still 5 years.

I'm base din Dublin, i can help you with a charger that does instant reporting on the charging rates, voltage and wattage.
    Also, I have a working dongle that can help you in relation to inside workings.

Ah, and not lastly, enjoy it.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Oh...cool your jets, disconnect the battery and plug in the kettle for a nice warm cup of tea.
    If you are not able to deal with a small situation like this, I don't see you long time in that PHEV ! ;)

My advise is to take photos of the dashboard before, during and after every charge session.
    Bring the car to a fast charger station and give it a full charge. That will bring the battery to almost 80ish. As someone said before, the GOM is a hit and miss, more indication that reality.
    Make sure that the battery charge indicator in the left side goes almost to full. Not the numerical indicator.

Disconnect the cable and drive around for few kilometers.
    Wait until fully discharged and plug in the home charger.
    I'm not sure a granny cable will do magic but at 2Kwish should take almost 6 hours to charge fully.

If the issue persist, with the photos taken from sessions you can bring it to the garage for a quick check. Without photos, is just words AND you may end up without a car for couple of days.

I'm base din Dublin, i can help you with a charger that does instant reporting on the charging rates, voltage and wattage.

Appreciate the advice. The jets are ice cold, but as I said IF the problem is not my charging cable and IF they say they can't fix it under warranty then I would want my money back.

Already planned to try quick charge tonight and if that works re try the granny charging to see what could have gone wrong on my side.

Really glad i spent more for the GX4h. Heated seat and steering wheel are a great bonus.

UK 2016 and later has a battery warranty of 8 Years / 100,000 miles.

Appreciate the advice. The jets are ice cold,

Really glad i spent more for the GX4h. Heated seat and steering wheel are a great bonus.

I have a 4HS and believe me, it gets better !
    But, cool your heated steering wheel as that is heated only half of the circle, kind of 4 and 8 radius. When you steer, the cold and hot sections keeps you awake ! apparently is to do with airbags and hands location. I find it very stupid.
    UK 2016 and later has a battery warranty of 8 Years / 100,000 miles.

Battery maybe, i was talking about the car warranty.
    Dealer said different but I don't want to enter an argument now.
    Is a difference between Irish and UK imported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

There has been a number of Catalytic Converter thefts in our estate. Does anyone know if Outlanders are more vulnerable than other hybrids? Did a bit of research and other sites say that the converter is integrated with the engine so harder to remove than, say, a Gen 2 Prius....

Has anyone taken any steps to make it harder to remove? Would appreciate any advice...

I have a 4HS and believe me, it gets better !
    But, cool your heated steering wheel as that is heated only half of the circle, kind of 4 and 8 radius. When you steer, the cold and hot sections keeps you awake ! apparently is to do with airbags and hands location. I find it very stupid.

Battery maybe, i was talking about the car warranty.
    Dealer said different but I don't want to enter an argument now.
    Is a difference between Irish and UK imported.

Warranty is confusing as it differs with MY and where it was bought. Just wanted to let the OP know.

My understanding is that U.K. cars pre 2016 are 3 years, post 2016 are 5 years and all have 8 year battery warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Warranty is confusing as it differs with MY and where it was bought. Just wanted to let the OP know.

My understanding is that U.K. cars pre 2016 are 3 years, post 2016 are 5 years and all have 8 year battery warranty.

I have 151 and UK import and the UK Mitsu confirmed it was 5 years warranty - as far as i remember it was 5 years starting in 2015

og2k7 wrote: »
    I have 151 and UK import and the UK Mitsu confirmed it was 5 years warranty - as far as i remember it was 5 years starting in 2015

Maybe it was MY15 then. See - it's confusing!!

Appreciate the advice. The jets are ice cold, but as I said IF the problem is not my charging cable and IF they say they can't fix it under warranty then I would want my money back.

Already planned to try quick charge tonight and if that works re try the granny charging to see what could have gone wrong on my side.

Just did a little experiment in mine... perhaps everything is normal/expected in your car :)

Its nice and cold (5C) here in Limerick at the moment, just charged mine to full - probably not 100% but pretty close, the battery bar looked to be at the top. [Have never found a % indicator for the battery, don't think there is one, so not sure how you're seeing 50%] Anyway my GOM says 34km (21 miles - note EPA range is 22).
    BUT if I turn on cabin heating, set to auto and 20C the GOM drops to 18km --> which is 11 miles :eek:

Do you have your cabin heating on? Try turning it off

Just did a little experiment in mine... perhaps everything is normal/expected in your car :)

Its nice and cold (5C) here in Limerick at the moment, just charged mine to full - probably not 100% but pretty close, the battery bar looked to be at the top. [Have never found a % indicator for the battery, don't think there is one, so not sure how you're seeing 50%] Anyway my GOM says 34km (21 miles - note EPA range is 22).
    BUT if I turn on cabin heating, set to auto and 20C the GOM drops to 18km --> which is 11 miles :eek:

Do you have your cabin heating on? Try turning it off

Hey thanks for testing yours out for comparison. No cabin heating or anything on before getting into the car this morning.

50% is my interpretation of the battery bar looking half full.

Spoke to the dealer agreed it should have charged fully and to test with the fast charging and with the granny charger again tonight. Should narrow down if it's my lead or the car.

If it is the car hopefully it's something small but they will sorted he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Check the cable on the granny charger, the short length from the 3 pin plug to the box. My charger, the wires broke just where they enter the box, its a common enough problem with them.
    You could have started charging and the cable moved and stopped .

Another problem could be your extension lead over heating, it will stop charging if it gets hot, thats if your using one, just uncoil it.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Check the cable on the granny charger, the short length from the 3 pin plug to the box. My charger, the wires broke just where they enter the box, its a common enough problem with them.
    You could have started charging and the cable moved and stopped .

Another problem could be your extension lead over heating, it will stop charging if it gets hot, thats if your using one, just uncoil it.

You could be on to something there. I ll check the Granny cable when I get home. But i was also using a extension lead with much of it still on the reel.

The plan this evening was to try the chademo and see how that goes.

Then at home park behind the house and plug directly into the outside socket.

Will hopefully have a better update tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just press the charge button and let the engine charge it up fully. It's only a once off but will help narrow down the cause to the plugs.

Even if the battery capacity was dropping the blue bar on the dash would still get to the top.

Only half filling that bar is really weird.

Fast charging worked a treat.

Have it plugged in at home now to fill the rest of the way.

Checked the Granny cable all looks good.

Guess I ll know for sure in the morning if it was the extension lead I was using.

Fast charging worked a treat.

Have it plugged in at home now to fill the rest of the way.

Checked the Granny cable all looks good.

Guess I ll know for sure in the morning if it was the extension lead I was using.

Officially you shouldn’t use an extension lead. Unofficially it is ok if it’s rated Heavy Duty and fully unwound. They can melt if they can’t dissipate heat!

Regarding warranty on U.K. cars from earlier - this was posted on the U.K. Facebook group today:

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV UK

UK owners whose cars were first registered in the first half of 2015: HEADS UP

Your warranty will be expiring soon (unless you've already exceeded 62,500 miles). This includes the battery warranty, which is not 8 years, despite what you might have been told.

(Mitsubishi UK customer service has got this wrong in the past. The official details of manufacturer warranty in the UK are below.)

Anti Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 12 years

Registration Date 1 Oct 2012 – 31 Dec 2014
    Mechanical: 3 years (unlimited miles)
    EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles† including traction battery

Registration Date 1 Jan 2015 – 30 June 2015
    Mechanical: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
    EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles† including traction battery

Registration Date 1 July 2015 on
    Mechanical: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
    EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
    Traction Battery: 8 years or 100,000 miles†

†—whichever is sooner

All well this morning. looks like it was the extension cord.

I take it ye guys have a home charger installed
    Any recommendation as to which is best?

For now I may park around the back of the house but more that worth the effort, go to work with more than half left in the batteries.

Heated seats and steering were great considering when I turned don the heating to clear the window the guessometer went from 17 to 13 mile ha ha

Also looking at winter tyre as I m on a few back roads, any recommendations there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For now I may park around the back of the house but more that worth the effort, go to work with more than half left in the batteries.

Heated seats and steering were great considering when I turned don the heating to clear the window the guessometer went from 17 to 13 mile ha ha

Also looking at winter tyre as I m on a few back roads, any recommendations there?

Any charger will do. I have a chargemaster which I picked up cheap and got installed cheap

If you are going via the grant then most companies will charge 1k and you get 600 back. If you plan long term on getting Solar PV then something like zappi will do the job

Great.. panic over..
    Now I can go and have my coffee knowing you are well, safe and fully charged ! Poor dealers...

You can program the heating so that every morning you have the windows clean before jumping in the car. And as a bonus, the car will be warm too.

Re charger, depends on your location and budget.
    I went with the most expensive one on the market because I am a control freak and I want to see what's happening under the case.
    Most of the sellers here are promoting a brand that sells well and they can make a huge profit. Installation is a rip off but that's the land where we live.
    Forget about the charger connected to Solar PVs ,you will never use them and / or the small percentage of the diverted electricity.
    Shop around and act on feeling / recommendations.
    There is a full thread somewhere here, take your time…

When you charge at the public charging points, I advise to stay beside the car.
    There are few native converted pure BEVs that likes to wind you up that you have no rights to connect your PHEV to their charging network !
    Just watch them fuming and looking at you ! :)

My charger below, showing a lovely battery balancing at the end of the charge.
    I guess that applies to all Outlanders..

499647.jpg

Enjoy the beauty !

The new ESB charger seems to be decent. €149 after the grant but it’s untethered so you need a cable too. A friend is getting it installed next week so I’ll keep you posted on the install

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger

I have a Zappi which is complete overkill but I had an electrician doing other work on the house so the net cost to me was €170.

Prepare to see lots of installers charging €500 for half a days work...

The new ESB charger seems to be decent. €149 after the grant but it’s untethered so you need a cable too. A friend is getting it installed next week so I’ll keep you posted on the install

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger

I have a Zappi which is complete overkill but I had an electrician doing other work on the house so the net cost to me was €170.

Prepare to see lots of installers charging €500 for half a days work...

I went tethered and it is driving me mad on the Zappi but I have two cars with different connections. I think for a car with the Outlander connection I would not go tethered as long term Type 2 seems to be preferred

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I went tethered and it is driving me mad on the Zappi but I have two cars with different connections. I think for a car with the Outlander connection I would not go tethered as long term Type 2 seems to be preferred

agree completely. We've 1 charger (untethered) shared between a Leaf and an Outlander - but have locked a cable to the charger. This way we get the convenience of tethered without being stuck with Type 1

• Advertisement

Replacement type 2 cables are available. When I can afford a Model 3 (lol) I'll just replace it.

The idea of having to manhandle a wet cable into the boot on a winter morning fills me with fear.

... as long term Type 2 seems to be preferred

I think Type 2 is mandatory on all new EV's by EU law.

The manufacturer can decide CCS vs CHAdeMO if they like, but they have to use Type 2 since 2018ish.... which was why the Leaf switched to Type 2 with the L40.

KCross wrote: »
    I think Type 2 is mandatory on all new EV's by EU law.

The manufacturer can decide CCS vs CHAdeMO if they like, but they have to use Type 2 since 2018ish.... which was why the Leaf switched to Type 2 with the L40.

I didn't know that :-) so the L40 would have same connection as my eGolf?

I didn't know that :-) so the L40 would have same connection as my eGolf?

For AC, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I went with the untethered too. The outlander uses a different connection so if we got a second car or i change i'd need to change the cable each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wexford14

Hi all, super thread. Currently shopping for an Outlander PHEV in the UK to take advantage of the low VRT based on the CO2 figures. 15-16 STG plus <€1000 VRT is what I hope to spend, 2016 seems realistic. What in confused about is the various Trim options. There's loads of posts about the different trims which is really helpful.

It's clear the GX4H and GX4Hs version have a higher spec, but then android car play is not available until post 2017 version.

What's not clear is why the inferior JURO spec seems to have android play on the factory head unit in pre 2017 cars?

Anyone know the craic here?

Logic for changing is my commute is 45km each way (up the M7) which is prob average 80-90kmph and I can charge where I park near work if I get there early enough. So commuting largely on EV and then longer journeys I'll suck up the relatively lower MPG.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

wexford14 wrote: »
    Hi all, super thread. Currently shopping for an Outlander PHEV in the UK to take advantage of the low VRT based on the CO2 figures. 15-16 STG plus <€1000 VRT is what I hope to spend, 2016 seems realistic. What in confused about is the various Trim options. There's loads of posts about the different trims which is really helpful.

It's clear the GX4H and GX4Hs version have a higher spec, but then android car play is not available until post 2017 version.

What's not clear is why the inferior JURO spec seems to have android play on the factory head unit in pre 2017 cars?

Anyone know the craic here?

Logic for changing is my commute is 45km each way (up the M7) which is prob average 80-90kmph and I can charge where I park near work if I get there early enough. So commuting largely on EV and then longer journeys I'll suck up the relatively lower MPG.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Yeah, sorry, I never figured out the story with Android auto on the Outlander models... I did want it - but in the end went with a 4HS and just got a good dock for my phone for Android auto.

45km on motorway? You might only get half of that on electric - depending on how fast you like to go, especially this time of the year.

Boot Liner - anyone know where to pick up a good rubberised/waterproof one? Carrying muddy kids bikes in the boot these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I bought one of these last year for dogs in the boot.

Very satisfied with it. The lip on the fron of it protects your bumper from damage/scratches.
    Washable too.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MITSUBISHI-OUTLANDER-Car-Boot-Liner-PREMIUM-Mat-Heavy-Duty-100-WATERPROOF/132215468529?hash=item1ec8a7f1f1:g:K9AAAOSw-0xYdUDy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wexford14

Yeah, sorry, I never figured out the story with Android auto on the Outlander models... I did want it - but in the end went with a 4HS and just got a good dock for my phone for Android auto.

45km on motorway? You might only get half of that on electric - depending on how fast you like to go, especially this time of the year.

It'd about 35km on motorway. And it's almost never 120. Stretch from Newbridge to where m9 joins m7 is 120 if you want to and then from there to Dublin you'd be doing well to get 100kmph. Ive found myself competing against myself trying to get my l/100km down all the time.

I can't get a full electric as Im not permanent in work, so my next contract could be anywhere.(the joys of It life) I think a PHEV splits the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement