Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

kanuseeme wrote: »
    one interesting thing I found out(to me anyway), was when the engine is running you can disconnect the 12 v battery and it will still run like a diesel engine :D:D:D

That could damage your alternator, depending on how the Outlander's charging system is arranged, if it even uses an alternator. Maybe it uses a generator for the 12v system too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Kramer wrote: »
    That could damage your alternator, depending on how the Outlander's charging system is arranged, if it even uses an alternator. Maybe it uses a generator for the 12v system too?

Possible, I discovered it by accident, I was expecting the engine to switch off but it kept going and not for that long 30 seconds or so and no sign of trouble since March.

I presumed that the generator was charging the traction battery and a DC to DC transformer was powering the 12 volt parts.

I am also presuming that alternator/starter/generator and motor are the one thing.

What I would really love to know is the rate of charge for the 12 volt battery that way I could size an inverter for emergency power.

I have a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, for the time being I will just try to keep the draw to about 300 watts and only use the full kW for the well when needed for short bursts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I've just bought a 2017 Outlander PHEV - delighted with my purchase, picking it up today.

Just wondering, has anyone any experience with retro-fitting Apple CarPlay to the 2017 model - I know the 2018 has it as standard.

In particular, I'm wondering about cost, and if there's a garage/supplier in Dublin doing these retrofits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

TrueDub wrote: »
    I've just bought a 2017 Outlander PHEV - delighted with my purchase, picking it up today.

Just wondering, has anyone any experience with retro-fitting Apple CarPlay to the 2017 model - I know the 2018 has it as standard.

In particular, I'm wondering about cost, and if there's a garage/supplier in Dublin doing these retrofits?

I've a 16 reg one and would have also liked to have Android Auto on mine... briefly though about the retrofit option (there are android based head units out there) but AFAIK you'll loose your reversing/surround camera and access to the EV menus (charge timers/settings/etc.)

To me it seemed like way too expensive (as well as loosing the EV menu) - so I spend < $40 on a decent magnetic phone cradle and automated the start of AndroidAuto --> works just as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi All,
    Thinking about buying one of these, budget around 16k. Anything to look out for? What are the trim levels?

Thanks

GH3 is the lowest spec then GH3+ then 4 and + then 5 and I think +,

Could not tell you what is what on each, I only know the GH3 and that has sweet feck all not even an electric heater, just after buying a 800 w 12 v heater for winter, the school run would be over by the time the engine has warmed up.

Where you going to buy from? Here or the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

GH3 is the lowest spec then GH3+ then 4 and + then 5 and I think +,

Could not tell you what is what on each, I only know the GH3 and that has sweet feck all not even an electric heater, just after buying a 800 w 12 v heater for winter, the school run would be over by the time the engine has warmed up.

Where you going to buy from? Here or the UK?

At this stage probably here, but would be open to the UK if it made sense. Feel free to drop a link to any bargains :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep an eye on http://www.ecocars.ie/used-cars.php
    They get them regularly and can source for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thinking about buying one of these, budget around 16k. Anything to look out for? What are the trim levels?

Thanks

You are probably looking at a 2015 or 2016 for that price, Google "Mitsubishi Outlander 2016 brochure pdf" and you will get a full spec with a comparison of all the models

Here is the 2016 one:
    http://www.data.gallaghers-cars.co.uk/outlander_phev.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I brought in a 2016 gh4+ from the north earlier this year, 17.3K all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 irishboyrudy

I’m looking at a late 2018 gxh4 2.4l model with low mileage. The VRT calculator is stating about €1700 to import. Does that sound too low or is it due to the PHEV grant which is being phased out? Sorry if this has already been answered, but do I pay vrt on the date of appointment or can I declare the date the car entered the country if I can’t get an appointment before 31st December. Don’t want a big Brexit related bill!

I guessed a September 2018 with 50 000 miles and I got 1979 euro, when I done my vrt it was close enough to the calculator,

you have a link to the car?

For the rest god knows, It could be business as usual or mountains of paper work and duty/vat, depends on the Brexit idiots, I know I would try to get it the vrt done before the Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 irishboyrudy

I got the same, 1730 euro, I put the nox down as 0.008 g/km.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=ds68eow or https://totalcarcheck.co.uk and put in the reg.

That car a week ago was a £1000 more, maybe there is some movement still left.

Good luck with purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

VRT looks about right. Mine was similar. I think you register it with the first few days, then you have a bit longer to bring to the nct centre and get your cert. That is a 5 min job. They just check the documents and Vin number and off you go.

Do go for the higher special with reversing camera. It is a big yoke and that is a great option. The others like lane departure warning is just a pain. It beeps all day on small Irish roads .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi Guys.

My commute is about 40 miles (so well outside the claimed EV range) but I have a free charging point at work and always stop for coffee on the way home from work after night shift, which is about halfway through my journey and has a free charging point also.

The Outlander ticks all the boxes for me with regards to size, comfort and price, I am just wondering how reliable they are and are they worth getting. Budget is about €17K so would be looking at 2016 ish model, any recommendations out there? Anything to worry about? How heavy is it on petrol for the longer trips have you found?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dont do that to yourself. Outlander (and all phevs) are only really making sense if you can do most/all journeys on EV range. Otherwise the cost doesnt make sense. Outlander will get 30mpg on petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Totally agree with ELM
    Don't think about stopping to charge either on the way to or from work... It's a waste of time/effort and you'd soon get very very tired of the interruption

Would be different if you could get all the way to work on a charge, charge there and make it home again to charge.

If you've access to another car for long trips, spend half your budget on an older leaf and keep the rest

BTW I have an Outlander myself and love it but I can do the full return journey to and from work on a charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Dont do that to yourself. Outlander (and all phevs) are only really making sense if you can do most/all journeys on EV range. Otherwise the cost doesnt make sense. Outlander will get 30mpg on petrol.
    Would be different if you could get all the way to work on a charge, charge there and make it home again to charge.

But why does he need to make it all/most of the way on EV mode? The whole idea of a PHEV is that you have both so you can use them.

If your idea of a PHEV is to stay in EV mode then go buy a BEV.

It sounds like he will get 50%+ on EV only and the rest on petrol for both legs as he has work charging. Thats a significant portion of his daily commute. If the car suits him from a size, utility and budget perspective then why not go for it?

I agree about the charging on the way home... that will be pointless for the time spent drinking a coffee.

Because it's silly. You are paying more for the "plug in" hybrid

He'd be better off in a non plug in hybrid which operates more effectively as a hybrid and will get better MPG over the route.

• Advertisement

Because it's silly. You are paying more for the "plug in" hybrid

He'd be better off in a non plug in hybrid which operates more effectively as a hybrid and will get better MPG over the route.

You've a few assumptions in there and you havent worked out the figures of his commute and how much he'd save. It depends on his route as well and maybe its not all about savings either. The smooth driving might be important.

As I said, you dont have to do most/all of your commute on EV to make a PHEV worthwhile. More detail of his circumstances is required to conclude that its the wrong choice.

I would agree 30/35 mpg if you never plugged it in, but to say what mpg you would get over 40 miles without knowing if its back roads or motorway is hard.

I done 60 km last week, 50 km back roads and 10 km at 100kmph ended up with 100 mpg, last couple of km was slow, I will admit, I was trying to get to the 100 mpg.

Stopping for coffee and plugging in will give you 4-5km in range in about 20 minutes, if its free, if you want to bother yourself plugging in, its up to you, all the km's you can do on electric means less you have to spend at the pump.

I would agree with KCross, just because your commute is over your electric range does not make a phev useless, you could easily get 60 mpg+ on the OP 40 mile commute.
    I would expect to get 40 mpg over a 100 mile trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Running on electricity is stupidly cheap. Like a car that does 140mpg. If you can do 25 miles at 140mpg equivalent and 15 miles at 30mpg then you’re on to a winner. I’d estimate you could see 80-90 mpg on average if you can charge on both ends of the commute.

60mpg, you'd get better than that in the Ioniq HEV and other new hybrids, without the hassle of plugging in.

stimpson wrote: »
    Running on electricity is stupidly cheap. Like a car that does 140mpg. If you can do 25 miles at 140mpg equivalent and 15 miles at 30mpg then you’re on to a winner. I’d estimate you could see 80-90 mpg on average if you can charge on both ends of the commute.
    That's 80 mpg, plus the cost of the home charger, plus hassle of plugging in at both ends, plus the cost of electricity, etc

You'd get close to that in a new HEV

Gadge wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

My commute is about 40 miles (so well outside the claimed EV range) but I have a free charging point at work and always stop for coffee on the way home from work after night shift, which is about halfway through my journey and has a free charging point also.

The Outlander ticks all the boxes for me with regards to size, comfort and price, I am just wondering how reliable they are and are they worth getting. Budget is about €17K so would be looking at 2016 ish model, any recommendations out there? Anything to worry about? How heavy is it on petrol for the longer trips have you found?

Thanks in advance!

A few questions....

- Whats your motivation for going for a PHEV.... e.g. is it save money on fuel, environment, smooth drive etc? It might be all of those but is there one that is a must have?

- I presume your 64km commute is one way? So 128km per day? What speed is the 64km? Mainly N roads or motorway also?

- Do you do much driving outside of the commute.... e.g. how many journeys across the country/holidays etc. Do you have a second car for those long journeys or is the PHEV going to have to do everything?

- Presumably you have a driveway at home as well to charge it each night?

Hi guys, thanks for the interest, I just got the exact numbers for my commute, 37 miles, so it would only be a few miles on petrol each way. I do stop for 15 mins each morning to refuel on coffee (I work 12.25 hr shifts and can be very busy, I had some near misses due to tiredness a while back so I always have some caffeine before I leave and at halfway) so while I'm there I might as well charge it as the charge posts are always free at that time if the morning. I currently drive a 2011 1.8 Auris hybrid and it costs me about €15 per day in petrol, averaging about 39mpg. The commute is about 10 mins (6 miles) of back roads and 30 mins motorway.

60mpg "+"

Its not hard to plug in, at home less than 10 seconds with a tethered cable, any other place, it would take me longer to type a sentence to explain the steps involved.

60mpg, you'd get better than that in the Ioniq HEV and other new hybrids, without the hassle of plugging in.
    That's 80 mpg, plus the cost of the home charger, plus hassle of plugging in at both ends, plus the cost of electricity, etc

You need to look at his requirements again. The Outlander ticks his boxes for size, comfort and price (€17k). Suggesting a new HEV doesnt help him.

Hi guys, thanks for the interest, I just got the exact numbers for my commute, 37 miles, so it would only be a few miles on petrol each way. I do stop for 15 mins each morning to refuel on coffee (I work 12.25 hr shifts and can be very busy, I had some near misses due to tiredness a while back so I always have some caffeine before I leave and at halfway) so while I'm there I might as well charge it as the charge posts are always free at that time if the morning. I currently drive a 2011 1.8 Auris hybrid and it costs me about €15 per day in petrol, averaging about 39mpg. The commute is about 10 mins (6 miles) of back roads and 30 mins motorway.

How long do you spend at that coffee break though? If its only 20mins its hardly worth the effort plugging in. It would only add a few km's. Enjoy your coffee, dont spend it pulling cables in/out.

The 30mins on the motorway is going to hurt the range. You probably wont get as much as you think.

I think you need to get one on loan and try your commute and see what you would get out of it and then make a decision.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    A few questions....

- Whats your motivation for going for a PHEV.... e.g. is it save money on fuel, environment, smooth drive etc? It might be all of those but is there one that is a must have?

- I presume your 64km commute is one way? So 128km per day? What speed is the 64km? Mainly N roads or motorway also?

- Do you do much driving outside of the commute.... e.g. how many journeys across the country/holidays etc. Do you have a second car for those long journeys or is the PHEV going to have to do everything?

- Presumably you have a driveway at home as well to charge it each night?

Comfort and economy are the main points. Recently had our 2nd child and the size of the car is very appealing.

I can take it handy on the motorway, if it meant going a bit slower to preserve the battery at the cost of a couple.of minutes that's fine by me.

We don't travel that often due my work/college commitments as well as my wife's, 3 or 4 trips from Tipperary to ballybunion, Kerry won't break us.

I have my own driveway and a shed with some power sockets next to it which I could charge the car from comfortably overnight

How long do you spend at that coffee break though? If its only 20mins its hardly worth the effort plugging in. It would only add a few km's. Enjoy your coffee, dont spend it pulling cables in/out.

I read you can get up to 80% charge in 20 mins, that's not so bad.

The 30mins on the motorway is going to hurt the range. You probably wont get as much as you think.

I think you need to get one on loan and try your commute and see what you would get out of it and then make a decision.

Would be great if I could 🙂

Thats if you plug into a rapid DC charger, not the slow AC chargers.
    You have to pay for DC chargers. Very unlikely that you have free access to one of those on your commute.

If there is a free charger on your commute somewhere its probably an AC charge pont which will give you very little in 20mins.

That's on a DC fast charger & you'd end up paying the same, or more for that electricity, than running on petrol.

You wouldn't save anything for the hassle of having to stop & charge.

That's on a DC fast charger & you'd end up paying the same, or more for that electricity, than running on petrol.

You wouldn't save anything for the hassle of having to stop & charge.
    I'll be stopping regardless so if they're quick charge ones I might as well use them. They have two 50KWh chargers there and as far as I know they're still free. Would they be fast or slow ones?

I work about 16 days out of every 35, the car will be used on the playschool school run 3 days a week, about 5km each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I came from an Auris Hybrid and I would not go back. My average in the Auris was 6-6.5 l/100km. In the Outlander it’s 4.2l/100km. It’s possible you may get closer with a newer hybrid, but I don’t think there are any the size of the Outlander, and you’d have to buy new in any case.

I have 2 kids and the eldest was complaining about the legroom in the Auris. No issues in the Outlander. It’s huge. For longer trips I’ve seen consumption go way down but it’s not very often that I would go that far and we are now down to a single car so it works out cheaper than running a second car (which I would likely have to do if I had a BEV).

I'll be stopping regardless so if they're quick charge ones I might as well use them. They have two 50KWh chargers there and as far as I know they're still free. Would they be fast or slow ones?

They are rapid DC chargers. Unlikely to be free and if they are its just a temporary thing.
    Are they ESB eCars chargers? Their fees are here:
    https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/pay-as-you-go

I work about 16 days out of every 35, the car will be used on the playschool school run 3 days a week, about 5km each way.

Thats an important detail. So for half the time the car will be well within its range on a daily basis.

From what you have described and because you have work charging I think you will get decent overall fuel savings but I still think you should get one on loan from a garage and drive your commute and see what it gives you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

sidcon wrote: »
    Considering buying one secondhand say 2017 model, anyone still have theirs and what is the battery range reduced to after a few years of running it?
    My normal working day is 16km to work and 16km home, without a charge point in work, so hoping its still good for to cover using the electric mode for all if not most journeys
    I'm a bit late commenting, but I bought a 171 Outlander GH4 two years ago (6,000 miles on clock) and I'm delighted with it. I'm up to 21,000 miles now. My wife has a full EV, but the extra size and range of the Outlander makes it a great family car.

My daily commute is almost identical to yours, and if I drive sensibly, I usually have about 10 km left when I arrive home. Best I ever managed was about 16 km remaining. Range reduces a bit in winter, especially if you're using heating - the heated steering wheel and seats options are well worth it if available, since you can get away without the cabin heater a lot of the time and preserve the battery.

I run pure EV for day-to-day and only use petrol for trips out of town (every one to two weeks). During the last lockdown, I ran into the situation where I had to run on petrol for a day or two, to give the main engine some exercise, because it had been more than three months since my last fill-up; caught me by surprise until I realised what was going on :-)

I'll also mention that I LOVE the 360' parking camera -- combined with a good turning circle, it makes parking in tight spaces an absolute breeze.

Find a nice one in good order, and I reckon you can't go wrong.

They have two 50KWh chargers there and as far as I know they're still free. Would they be fast or slow ones?

Applegreen? Yes, free for now, but you'd be upsetting the locals charging their Leafs there. The durty, durty looks I got there one day for having the temerity to pull up in a Tesla, for my free charge :D.

Mrs. K was instructed the Tesla chargers were in the other area of the carpark :eek:.

I'd say if the Outlander suits you, size wise & fits your budget, with home/work charging, go for it.

Do test drive if possible first though, preferably overnight if you can.

Best of luck :pac:.

• Advertisement

They are rapid DC chargers. Unlikely to be free and if they are its just a temporary thing.
    Are they ESB eCars chargers? Their fees are here:
    https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/pay-as-you-go

Thats an important detail. So for half the time the car will be well within its range on a daily basis.

From what you have described and because you have work charging I think you will get decent overall fuel savings but I still think you should get one on loan from a garage and drive your commute and see what it gives you.

Thanks a million for your input... Is it common for a garage to give a loan in the hope of a sale?

Applegreen? Yes, free for now, but you'd be upsetting the locals charging their Leafs there. The durty, durty looks I got there one day for having the temerity to pull up in a Tesla, for my free charge :D.

Mrs. K was instructed the Tesla chargers were in the other area of the carpark :eek:.

I'd say if the Outlander suits you, size wise & fits your budget, with home/work charging, go for it.

Do test drive if possible first though, preferably overnight if you can.

Best of luck :pac:.

Applegeen that's right! Eff the locals 🙂

Thanks a million for your input... Is it common for a garage to give a loan in the hope of a sale?

Depends on the garage. If they know you are serious about buying it then they shouldnt have an issue with it.

If you smash it you own it. It will be your insurance on the line so the garage dont have anything to lose and a sale to gain.

25 minutes will get you from 30% (never really goes bellow 30%) to 80% on a DC charger, the Outlander will stop at 80%,

if you arrive at 75% and plug in, it will stop at 80% you will need to go back to the charger and start it again.

The last 20 % will take 30 minutes or so.

Its a good idea to test drive one, personally I think they look dated inside

I have one and love it.
    The navigation system is crap so don't think you'll be able to use that :D

25 minutes will get you from 30% (never really goes bellow 30%) to 80% on a DC charger, the Outlander will stop at 80%,

if you arrive at 75% and plug in, it will stop at 80% you will need to go back to the charger and start it again.

The last 20 % will take 30 minutes or so.

Its a good idea to test drive one, personally I think they look dated inside

I know you're talking in general terms, but the charger I'll be using is 20.5 miles from home and 17.5 miles from work so there is a good bit of charging to be got from stopping there

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I have one and love it.

I have seen that, and you lose a lot of functionality if you swap out the head unit so I guess I'd have to be investing in a decent phone holder 😃

biko wrote: »
    I have one and love it.
    Does it not have apple carplay?

As noted by ^^^ you can get around the bad built-in nav with a phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Does it not have apple carplay?

Only the 2018 model and above, I think. I recently bought a 2017 and it doesn't have it. I'd love to get it retro-fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It will cost you about a fiver in petrol and €2 in electricity a day. If you are paying 15 a day now on petrol that's €7 a day you claw back.

Also consider car tax drops to €170.

I was putting €70 a week into an A4 and doing an 75km round trip a day.

When I worked out the savings over 5 years I was going to claw back almost 3k on tax and about 13k on petrol. The car cost me €16,500.

My insurance also dropped from 600-700 to the minimum of €280. But I think that might have been me getting old :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement