Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It was €199 with the main dealer. Kept it in overnight. It will be interesting to see if it holds a bit better.

I was asking mitsubishi to consider a battery replacement as it is under 70%. They said they needed this done at a main dealer.

I've seen mixed reports from people losing 0.5 to others gaining so not a sure fire way to get some back. But if it has had a lot of charges it is likely out if sync a bit.

How, who or what told you the battery the battery was down to 63%? If that percentage meets the criteria for a replacement, why was it not done?

Or is the DBcam the first option?
    What is the replacement % on a battery if any one knows?

At least you should ask for the 200 euro back, or credit on a service let the dealer handle Mitsubishi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

kanuseeme wrote: »
    How, who or what told you the battery the battery was down to 63%? If that percentage meets the criteria for a replacement, why was it not done?

Or is the DBcam the first option?
    What is the replacement % on a battery if any one knows?

At least you should ask for the 200 euro back, or credit on a service let the dealer handle Mitsubishi.

Phev watchdog app showed it at 63%. There is nothing official but there is a rumour that mitsubishi will go case by case and look at batteries that have dropped under 70%.

When you contact them they need an official reading, that is done via dbcam which costs €199.

Since the dbcam can recover some %, like mine, they want that done first.

Things like regular fast charging, heating the cabin while plugged in, regularly charging 2-3 times a day etc all impact the ability for it to properly read the state of health.

Now I'm back to 72% I'll get back onto mitsubishi and see if they will entertain a replacement. Most likely not. I'll prob change it this year anyway so not too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

cannco253 wrote: »

That could be good news around servicing being available beyond 2030. If they are rebadging Renault’s then I can’t see why that wouldn’t look at doing right hand drive versions too. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

It was €199 with the main dealer. Kept it in overnight. It will be interesting to see if it holds a bit better.

I was asking mitsubishi to consider a battery replacement as it is under 70%. They said they needed this done at a main dealer.

I've seen mixed reports from people losing 0.5 to others gaining so not a sure fire way to get some back. But if it has had a lot of charges it is likely out if sync a bit.

Is it possible to do this dbcam procedure yourself at home or does it need to go to the dealer for definite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

reni10 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do this dbcam procedure yourself at home or does it need to go to the dealer for definite?

Not without the correct equipment. They need to run the battery to 0% and then slowly charge it over night. Then they use a MUT 3 device to reset the battery so it can find the new capacity.

Some of you might know, but I learned the phev watch dog Now also supports:
    Kia Niro PHEV, Kia Optima PHEV, Hyundai Ioniq PHEV and Hyundai Sonata PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Has anybody put all terrain tyres on their Outlander and if so what make did you use, I do a bit of shooting and the all terrain would be better as there is no spare in the PHEV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Has anybody put all terrain tyres on their Outlander and if so what make did you use, I do a bit of shooting and the all terrain would be better as there is no spare in the PHEV

Be very careful using your Outlander offroad.
    The battery tray is only about 2mm thick and is the lowest point (almost)on the car and if you puncture it you run the risk of destroying the battery.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Be very careful using your Outlander offroad.
    The battery tray is only about 2mm thick and is the lowest point (almost)on the car and if you puncture it you run the risk of destroying the battery.

I won't be going off roading per se it's more so the likes of loose shale that caused a puncture in an old car I had I just need robust tires that will be okay on that type of surface and possibly mud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I won't be going off roading per se it's more so the likes of loose shale that caused a puncture in an old car I had I just need robust tires that will be okay on that type of surface and possibly mud

Know exactly you type of stuff you are talking about ( I shoot myself).
    I think I hit something myself, possibly a small boulder, and put a TINY crack in the battery tray. Went though some water months later and fried everything.
    Mitsubishi didn't want to know about it and I have the dubious honour of being the first in Ireland of a complete battery and rewiring job - €11,183.20.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Know exactly you type of stuff you are talking about ( I shoot myself).
    I think I hit something myself, possibly a small boulder, and put a TINY crack in the battery tray. Went though some water months later and fried everything.
    Mitsubishi didn't want to know about it and I have the dubious honour of being the first in Ireland of a complete battery and rewiring job - €11,183.20.

Nasty, looks like I'll be parking up and walking then cheers for the heads up.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    You'll pick up a 1990s pajero for small money...

Aye might do that, the farmer I know will let me leave it in his yard as well handy for deer carcasses as well

Aye might do that, the farmer I know will let me leave it in his yard as well handy for deer carcasses as well

This is the right tool for the job!

https://www.adverts.ie/23162178

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Picking up a 2016 4HS model next week.

And on that note there's a clocked 4HS doing the rounds private sale - if you're considering one do a history check please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Vikings wrote: »
    Picking up a 2016 4HS model next week.

And on that note there's a clocked 4HS doing the rounds private sale - if you're considering one do a history check please!

Fair play to you Vikings.

• Advertisement

This thread is very quiet, every one happy with their outlander?

Every one happy with location of chargers?

Every one happy with their car not catching fire, door handles not breaking, their software working>?

Any complaints of queuing at a charger, a 600 km trip taking 2 hours longer because of the need to stop and recharge several times?

Any complaining about self charging hybrids or other makes of cars because they have not got CCS ?

Its strange that the outlander is mentioned in other threads more than its own thread.

I presume its because every one is happy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

I had one of the Toyota brigade trying to explain to me the other day how self charging is better!:confused::eek::D

I got my personal best of 190 actual MPG over Christmas!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Buffman wrote: »
    I had one of the Toyota brigade trying to explain to me the other day how self charging is better!:confused::eek::D

How much electricity did you use, as in how many units and how many litres of petrol did you burn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm happy with it. No particular issues and good value for money imo.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    How much electricity did you use, as in how many units and how many litres of petrol did you burn?

15 litres over 625 miles, didn't reset the energy monitor for that period so can't tell you exact units.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

I am getting 20 kWh/100km, 4.45 litres in a gallon, it really depends on the trip, normal hybrid mode I get 7 l / 100 km

I can understand the Toyota brigade point of view, if you previously had a petrol car doing 30-40 mpg and then get a prius doing 50-60 mpg, it would seem wonderous, then read some of the other threads here and its not worth plugging in to charger because you have to pay for parking on top of the fees for charging, where seemingly its better to pay for parking right beside the charger and burn 1 euro of petrol instead, as if you can get 190 mpg without electricity.

Most of the people giving advice about phevs never had a phev.

At the other end of the scale, driving it like a rental with no plug in charging on a longer journey, my worst MPG was 41.5.

15 litres over 625 miles, didn't reset the energy monitor for that period so can't tell you exact units.

Would you see much of a difference in your electricity bills compared to before you had the Outlander.

Would you see much of a difference in your electricity bills compared to before you had the Outlander.

I did the sums on this before. It’s about 1/4 of the cost per mile on night rate electricity vs petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Have started using the"save" button more. It seems to be extending range somewhat.

If I'm travelling on the motorway ar 120 kph I stick it on charge. The logic is that im burning petrol anyway, the engine is working hard so may aswell use that power to charge the battery - as opposed to putting it on charge at low speeds and burning petrol just to charge the battery (which is inefficient).

I've read of a few people taking this approach but no idea if it actually makes sense.

If I'm travelling on the motorway ar 120 kph I stick it on charge. The logic is that im burning petrol anyway, the engine is working hard so may aswell use that power to charge the battery - as opposed to putting it on charge at low speeds and burning petrol just to charge the battery (which is inefficient).

I've read of a few people taking this approach but no idea if it actually makes sense.

Same, but on and off depending on the terrain, the thing will freewheel for ages.

I would use charge if I was going up a long steep hill, I find it better to use some petrol than to use a big % of the battery.

stimpson wrote: »
    I did the sums on this before. It’s about 1/4 of the cost per mile on night rate electricity vs petrol.

I got around 21 % for night rate, 60% for AC charging and about 70% for rapid vs petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

If I'm travelling on the motorway ar 120 kph I stick it on charge. The logic is that im burning petrol anyway, the engine is working hard so may aswell use that power to charge the battery

It hardly ever makes sense to charge the battery from the ICE in a PHEV. Not financially or environmentally. It could, if entering a "combustion free zone", but that's complex too.
    That said I've charged ocassionally from the engine, but in specific circumstances. A few times, with heavy frost due & no mains charging available (away from home), I ensured I charged the HV battery enough to allow me to remotely defrost & preheat the car, the following moring.

Even charging on the motorway comes at a cost of higher consumption, although it would be less noticeable. There's no free lunch (& if there was, they'd tax or ban it :D).

There's a lot of PHEV hate here though, especially from BEV evangelists. There's a lot of general SUV hate too - the Outlander is a pariah these days although it was once seen as a great innovation.

I liked the Outlander & considered one. I had owned many commercial Mitsubishis over the years (big rudimentary diesels :eek:) & they were bomb proof. I even converted one to biofuel (PPO) but ultimately I just found the Outlander's interior too dated.
    So I went with a BMW PHEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@Kramer you paid a premium for that bimmer though

For all the hate it gets, the Outlander phev was a great innovation in 2014 and still works today. Its crown of SUV PHEVs has been usurped by the X5 45e and the GL350DE among others but they are exponentially more expensive.

If I were looking for a cheap EV, and needed space, the Outlander would be a good compromise with 40-50km of EV range and can be got for near 10-12k these days.

• Advertisement

In my specific case no, as I switched energy provider around the same time for a good discount.

Also in my case it replaced a first generation 2L petrol Santa Fe so the savings in motor tax and fuel were substantial.

In my specific case no, as I switched energy provider around the same time for a good discount.

Also in my case it replaced a first generation 2L petrol Santa Fe so the savings in motor tax and fuel were substantial.

Nice one thanks for answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Walter Knight

This thread is very quiet, every one happy with their outlander?
    Every one happy with location of chargers?
    Every one happy with their car not catching fire, door handles not breaking, their software working>?
    Any complaints of queuing at a charger, a 600 km trip taking 2 hours longer because of the need to stop and recharge several times?
    Any complaining about self charging hybrids or other makes of cars because they have not got CCS ?
    Its strange that the outlander is mentioned in other threads more than its own thread.
    I`m not sure how good this article describes the real life issues with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV…But it`s good to know. If anybody can add something on top of the listed issues, it would be great to know either, and certainly appreciated :^) https://www.whatcar.com/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/4x4/used-review/n18054/advice

I`m not sure how good this article describes the real life issues with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV…But it`s good to know. If anybody can add something on top of the listed issues, it would be great to know either, and certainly appreciated :^) https://www.whatcar.com/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/4x4/used-review/n18054/advice

I can add something of interest. My Outlander is the one What Car used for their long term test. This was under the boot when I bought it:

552176.jpeg

I can confirm it has given me 3 years of faultless driving, apart from the heating not working which was fixed with a coolant change from Mitsubishi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Walter Knight

, apart from the heating not working which was fixed with a coolant change from Mitsubishi.
    I encountered the conditioner radiator leakage on Prius II when it was 12 years old. Payed 650 euro for the new one plus work (included)...
    But the most common issue on prius II is front wheel bearing IMHO. Changing it is a pain, and spare parts do not run for long (30-60k km in my practice )

I was surprised that Mitsubishi is ranked 2nd place among manufacturers, the only thing I can think of is the BMU issue, where a battery seems to degrade in a consistent manner as a result of the BMU guessing that there is more degradation than there really is.

2 things you can do, go to a dealer and get a dbcam done 50 euro I think, it will let you know the true state of the battery, or the DIY method.

The battery degradation is not a bad thing IMO, the BMU is on the cautious side and will prolong the life of the battery at the cost of fewer EV miles.

I was surprised that Mitsubishi is ranked 2nd place among manufacturers, the only thing I can think of is the BMU issue, where a battery seems to degrade in a consistent manner as a result of the BMU guessing that there is more degradation than there really is.

2 things you can do, go to a dealer and get a dbcam done 50 euro I think, it will let you know the true state of the battery, or the DIY method.

The battery degradation is not a bad thing IMO, the BMU is on the cautious side and will prolong the life of the battery at the cost of fewer EV miles.

Be very careful with the DIY method. There are cases of people screwing their batteries. I used the method of getting home with ~20% battery, running it down with the remote controlled heater, then charging. I saw about a 6% increase over a couple of months. There is more info on the UK Outlander PHEV Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Be very careful with the DIY method. There are cases of people screwing their batteries. I used the method of getting home with ~20% battery, running it down with the remote controlled heater, then charging. I saw about a 6% increase over a couple of months. There is more info on the UK Outlander PHEV Facebook page.

Here's a question for outlander phev owner's
    Was looking at outlander phev.my question is I do about 65% motorway driving.im about 30 Kms each way from work. No option to charge at work so have to be home charger.
    Is outlander worth getting.
    Full ev won't suit me right now .

Here's a question for outlander phev owner's
    Was looking at outlander phev.my question is I do about 65% motorway driving.im about 30 Kms each way from work. No option to charge at work so have to be home charger.
    Is outlander worth getting.
    Full ev won't suit me right now .

I’d consider it. You’ll almost get one way on electric and do the rest on petrol. I did Dublin to Virginia and back today, charging at the other end, so essentially 2 x 85km trips and got just over 50mpg. Not great, but pretty good for a large SUV. If you need the space then it’s an easy argument over a diesel SUV. But if you can then look at full EV.

• Advertisement

I’d consider it. You’ll almost get one way on electric and do the rest on petrol. I did Dublin to Virginia and back today, charging at the other end, so essentially 2 x 85km trips and got just over 50mpg. Not great, but pretty good for a large SUV. If you need the space then it’s an easy argument over a diesel SUV. But if you can then look at full EV.

Sounds good. was thinking of getting middle spec .

In short, no.
    On the motorway, you'll be using ICE most of the time, and whether it's the 2 litre petrol, or the newer 2.4, it's a big heavy car with a thirsty engine and a small fuel tank. You'll get no benefit from the battery most of the time.
    Even then, your realistic battery range is between 30-50kms depending on the model, so even if you did have it fully charged every night and forced it into EV mode (only available on newer models) you'd still be back in ICE before you got home.
    Why won't a full EV suit you?

At moment full ev won't suit us . We looked into it and hybrid for next few years then we see

Go as late as you can in that case. The newer models lets you decide whether you are in EV mode or not.
    I have a 2017 and this option is not there. Remote control heating is also exceptionally useful in this country. Otherwise you will be using the engine most of the time in winter to demist.

Yep - I'd go for a GX4h at a minimum.

At moment full ev won't suit us . We looked into it and hybrid for next few years then we see

I don't know your budget, but kia niro phev would be another option, 50 km range or so and smaller 1.6 l engine.

Best of luck.

Another thing, you will be running the engine anyway on the outlander, so the more expensive gh4 might not be of that great of use.

If anybody can add something on top of the listed issues, it would be great to know either, and certainly appreciated :^) https://www.whatcar.com/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/4x4/used-review/n18054/advice

Any of those issues should have been long sorted with recalls by now I'd say. A few years ago I got the handbrake recall done on a 142 one, it's still in the extended family and going fine.

Our favourite Mitsubishi Outlander: 2.0 GX3h auto
    I can't see how they came to that conclusion when the one they were driving was a GX5hs.

Personally I'd recommend a minimum of GX4h. I'd miss the sunroof, heated leather seats & heated steering wheel, remote electric heating, remote boot opening, touch screen radio, and 360 degree parking if I was to go with GX3h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I have popped in and out of this thread since it was opened (probably have missed some of the posts) but I am toying with the idea of an outlander PHEV (2017 or 2018) but I have two major concerns could you share your thoughts on them:
    1. Mitsubishi pulling out of europe, this might limit the availability of parts and also software/electrical issues might be harder to resolve as there will be no main dealer as such.
    2. The Irish PHEVs battery warranty is 8 years but the English imports only have a 5 year warranty, I am struggling to find a Irish PHEV and would be turned off an English import based on the warranty of the 2017 running out next year.

• Advertisement

tweek84 wrote: »
    I have popped in and out of this thread since it was opened (probably have missed some of the posts) but I am toying with the idea of an outlander PHEV (2017 or 2018) but I have two major concerns could you share your thoughts on them:
    1. Mitsubishi pulling out of europe, this might limit the availability of parts and also software/electrical issues might be harder to resolve as there will be no main dealer as such.
    2. The Irish PHEVs battery warranty is 8 years but the English imports only have a 5 year warranty, I am struggling to find a Irish PHEV and would be turned off an English import based on the warranty of the 2017 running out next year.

Mitsubishi have guaranteed availability of parts for at least 10 years.

And the UK cars after 2015 had 8 years warranty on the battery, and 5 on everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Mitsubishi have guaranteed availability of parts for at least 10 years.

And the UK cars after 2015 had 8 years warranty on the battery, and 5 on everything else.

I had emailed Mitsubishi motors in relation to this and got this response "Thank you for your message. An Outlander PHEV (2016-2018) if imported will have the pan European Warranty of 5 years/62,500 miles- whichever comes first. Whereas a non-imported Irish Outlander PHEV will have the Mitsubishi 8 year/150,000KM warranty, whichever comes first."
    I had also talked to a dealer and they confirmed it also.

tweek84 wrote: »
    I had emailed Mitsubishi motors in relation to this and got this response "Thank you for your message. An Outlander PHEV (2016-2018) if imported will have the pan European Warranty of 5 years/62,500 miles- whichever comes first. Whereas a non-imported Irish Outlander PHEV will have the Mitsubishi 8 year/150,000KM warranty, whichever comes first."
    I had also talked to a dealer and they confirmed it also.

This is what’s in my warranty book:

552409.jpeg

I would think if there was a chance that they would have to do warranty work on a 8 year old car, then the warranty would be 7 years.

The production version was unveiled in 2012, the battery has active cooling, which even the nissan leaf does not have, on the other hand "The battery packs are produced by GS Yuasa, the same company that supplies the batteries for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, whose entire fleet was grounded in January 2013 for battery problems."

I wonder what warranty does Boeing offer.

Yep - I'd go for a GX4h at a minimum.

Was looking at GX4h
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement