Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Newbie: Slim or Pro?

Options
  • 20-10-2018 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Gonna pick up my first PS console since the original came out way back when.. and things seem to have changed a lot!!

Anyway, do I need the pro or will the slim do the trick?

I don't have a 4k TV nor intend on getting one anytime soon.

I'm not a rabid game player by any stretch and will generally have 1 or 2 games to keep me going for long periods.
    BLOPS 4 & RDR2 will be the two I aim to pick up.

What about PS plus?

Any and all advice welcome, and thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Slim will do the trick for you so.
    As to plus - must have it you plan online gaming, also useful for a mixed bag of games each month - but if you are going to play infrequently or are not into online gaming give it a miss.

Enjoy - don’t forget the blu-rays...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 T1000x

Definitely want to play online so will sort the Plus out. Tnx ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

T1000x wrote: »
    Definitely want to play online so will sort the Plus out. Tnx ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

sniper_samurai here from the boards gave me a recommendation where to pick up PS Plus on a good price a while back.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106988646&postcount=1323

Still pretty good deal IMO but might be cheaper somewhere else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

CD keys or pressstart are good places for subs but make sure you get the correct region. You'll see a flag on them make sure you get the Irish one.

Slim will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭peter4918

I’m a PS4 newbie as well and I was wondering does anybody here have any experience in buying one from amazon. I’m interested in the RDR2 bundle when it comes out (not sure if I can mention prices here) but a nice bit can be saved on the bundle compared to Smyths current deal on it

What would the delivery times like for an item like this with amazon? There’s a lot to be said for just walking into smyths and picking it up on release day as opposed to waiting a few days extra for delivery. Thoughts?

• Advertisement

To me it would depend on how much you wanted to play the game on release day.

Smyths will open at 10pm the day of release and means your guaranteed to have it for the bank holiday weekend...

Not sure if Amazon will have it to you on release day so you may be waiting until the following week .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I stopped using Amazon for games I wanted on release. They used a courier service which was terrible. Could be waiting weeks after release date. Probably my most anticipated game ever was Black Ops1. Loved Cod at the time and game came weeks after I ordered it (not Amazon) damn near killed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PS4Pro and Xbox One X are worth getting no matter what TV you have, if you just can justify the price. People are forever saying it's wasted if you don't have a 4K TV but that is completely untrue. Both consoles offer better detail settings, better framerate, and just better image quality whether you're playing at 720p, 1080, or 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

PS4Pro and Xbox One X are worth getting no matter what TV you have, if you just can justify the price. People are forever saying it's wasted if you don't have a 4K TV but that is completely untrue. Both consoles offer better detail settings, better framerate, and just better image quality whether you're playing at 720p, 1080, or 4K.

I’ll echo that. I have a 23inch aoc ips monitor and moved from a regular PS4 to a pro.

Definitely a difference graphically with super sampling or whatever it’s called and secondly frame rate. Not massive but noticeable on both. Monster hunter is a prime example. What a game!

Also there the fact that it doesn’t sound like a ****ing jet engine and a big hard drive.

All of that said if your a casual gamer playing the likes of cod or FIFA every now and then or with the lads after a few scoops I’d spend the extra cash on a ps plus sub or extra games rather than on a pro to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I am also in the market for a PS4 again. Had one years ago and sold it but Im good to go again. Without any game bundle where is the best place to but a 1TB PS4 Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

in the market for a PS PRO myself after years of a hiatus.

Presumably there would be deals to be had during the black friday deals? May hold out until then.

If I was you I defo wait.

That being said there are a few good red dead bundles going around

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

in the market for a PS PRO myself after years of a hiatus.

Presumably there would be deals to be had during the black friday deals? May hold out until then.

Got A pro with COD WW2 and Fifa 18 last year for 300 pounds. On Amazon uk on black friday.

Sold my old ps4 for 150.

So yeah I would wait there will be offers you have to be quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Got A pro with COD WW2 and Fifa 18 last year for 300 pounds. On Amazon uk on black friday.

Sold my old ps4 for 150.

Brand new? Sounds v cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

CWF wrote: »

Sold my old ps4 for 150.

Brand new? Sounds v cheap
    Yeah was new was special bundle ! Just checked there was 300 pounds which was 350 euro for all that.

I do remember it not being available after 30 minutes or so after I ordered they had all sold out. The next bundle was same price with just FIFA 18 with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Which is quieter, Pro or the Slim? Or is there any noticeable difference? Thinking of ditching my old PS4 as it sounds like a leaf blower in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have never had an issue with fan noises on consoles, I may just have been lucky. If you have a valid excuse to upgrade to a pro and can afford it go for it, even if the valid excuse is made up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

dohboy wrote: »
    Which is quieter, Pro or the Slim? Or is there any noticeable difference? Thinking of ditching my old PS4 as it sounds like a leaf blower in the living room.
    My pro can get extremely loud especially when playing rdr2, doesn't bother me tho

Advertisement